Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2015 Graduates: Chapter Next!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

chrislad wrote: »
    Yup, I'm probably going to be doing that too. It'll be my only half marathon race this year, as I'm pretty much in DCM mode now, so I'll be using it as a tune up race, where I'm hoping to get sub 2.

I'm signed up too, although I'm not sure how good it'd be as a tune up race, the route looks nice and fast for most of it (up until the park) but I'd say it's a fairly congested race so a good speed may not be a easy to keep.
    I'm back looking at DCM, as I was very late to the thread and still feel I could learn a lot, I'm back on this year's novices thread to hopefully learn a lot and I prove a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

So.....haven't been in these parts since the Novice thread last year, started my training plan for October last week. Feels good to have something to work towards again.....have been running since the DCM but nothing too structured. Did the Virgin Night Run last week to gauge where I'm at and took it from there. Considering I started almost from scratch last July, I'm feeling quite chipper about this year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

Yup, I'm probably going to be doing that too. It'll be my only half marathon race this year, as I'm pretty much in DCM mode now, so I'll be using it as a tune up race, where I'm hoping to get sub 2.

Hi Guys,
    Just to let you know that the Rock N Roll HM will be only €35 to enter (€10 off), tomorrow for a 'one day fire sale', so if you are thinking about entering, it might be the time to take the plunge! I am gonna sign up myself...

BTW great to see the 2016 Novice Thread going strong......go Nop98 and co..... ahh the memories.....the painful painful memories :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

Had my first ever experience of pacing today in a local half marathon if you'd like to read about it, you can see here on my log

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Monkey off my back! Just in from the Shannon Runway Run. Looking to beat my 5k time of 25:56. Finished in 22:28. Absolutely delighted especially considering the lack of pace training I did. It was a flat course to that helped. Now I can fully focus on DCM16!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Monkey off my back! Just in from the Shannon Runway Run. Looking to beat my 5k time of 25:56. Finished in 22:28. Absolutely delighted especially considering the lack of pace training I did. It was a flat course to that helped. Now I can fully focus on DCM16!

Fair play Chris. That is a hell of an improvement. Seems like the ghosts of DCM 2015 can be firmly put to bed. A new beginning with your pb and roll on into the 2016 DCM cycle. The very best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Well done Chris on PB, that was some chuck to knock off, best luck with
    rest of training.

Great stuff Chris, flat course or otherwise you still had to run the distance and that's a great result for you there. Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

chrislad wrote:

Wow! That's a huge PB. Well done and enjoy it.

Going on the training logs there seems to be a few of us going for DCM again this year, who's targeting it so and what plan are you doing?

I am going for it again and based on my physio recommendation I am using the Running Shoe Guru's intermediate plan.
    My training plan starts next Sunday.

• Advertisement

diego_b wrote: »
    Going on the training logs there seems to be a few of us going for DCM again this year, who's targeting it so and what plan are you doing?

I am going for it again and based on my physio recommendation I am using the Running Shoe Guru's intermediate plan.
    My training plan starts next Sunday.

I've started last week, so first week done. I'm sticking on a 18 week plan again this time. I've upped the mileage from last year, plus an extra 20 miler and some longer mid week. Nothing less than 5 miles too. Hopefully I'll survive it.

I'm not sure on my pace yet. I'm running my pace runs at about 9:40-10:00 at the moment. Last year I was aiming for 10:18 (and didn't quite do that) so I'm worried I'm being too aggressive this year.

I've started last week, so first week done. I'm sticking on a 18 week plan again this time. I've upped the mileage from last year, plus an extra 20 miler and some longer mid week. Nothing less than 5 miles too. Hopefully I'll survive it.

I'm not sure on my pace yet. I'm running my pace runs at about 9:40-10:00 at the moment. Last year I was aiming for 10:18 (and didn't quite do that) so I'm worried I'm being too aggressive this year.

Good stuff Chris, your September looks interesting with the step back weeks after the 20milers. My plan is a time based plan so not focusing so much on miles this year, also the plan I am doing is more focused on marathon pace running so curious to see how it goes. It's something new for me really but my physio thinks it's a good option for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Haven't quiet committed but started Dave carries marathon plan from Irish runner and will decide after Frank Duffy 10 mile after a few weeks of training and seeing how the Achilles behaves.

Good stuff Chris, your September looks interesting with the step back weeks after the 20milers. My plan is a time based plan so not focusing so much on miles this year, also the plan I am doing is more focused on marathon pace running so curious to see how it goes. It's something new for me really but my physio thinks it's a good option for me.

Yeah, but those weeks are still at the max weeks that I did on the Boards plan last year! I've a few weeks over 50 miles where I was hitting 40 max on the boards plan last year. I'm going to do a time based one for the Limerick one. I just feel I need to work more on endurance than speed right now.

Yeah, but those weeks are still at the max weeks that I did on the Boards plan last year! I've a few weeks over 50 miles where I was hitting 40 max on the boards plan last year. I'm going to do a time based one for the Limerick one. I just feel I need to work more on endurance than speed right now.

Ah yeah it's impressive mileage you'll be hitting there, it just caught my eye with the step from mid 50's back down to early 40's and then back up again.
    I am hoping to do this one niggle free as much as possible, I am training for 4 hours again but the plan I'll be on will only be taking me to 2.5 hours running at it's longest point. I am uncertain as to how my endurance will respond after that but it's a different approach with the plan and a short taper.

Ah yeah it's impressive mileage you'll be hitting there, it just caught my eye with the step from mid 50's back down to early 40's and then back up again.
    I am hoping to do this one niggle free as much as possible, I am training for 4 hours again but the plan I'll be on will only be taking me to 2.5 hours running at it's longest point. I am uncertain as to how my endurance will respond after that but it's a different approach with the plan and a short taper.

*May* be hitting. It's a fairly tough plan, and while I'm be fine on the shorter runs, and medium runs, the 20 mile run weeks may actually kill me.

I got a new GPS watch there a few weeks ago. Currently, it think I'll be able to run a marathon in 3:50. Silly technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭unaaine

Hi all, I came across the novices thread towards the end of the prep for DCM 2015 which was great fun and inspirational and I'm finding myself beginning to think about DCM again this year! I don't have a training log and didn't keep one last year apart from my uploads to garmin. DCM 2015 was my first marathon and I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of the race - didn't always enjoy the training - but did try to stay consistent and I'd say I missed very few - maybe 1 or 2 - of my planned sessions.

A little back history - as much for myself as anyone else - so feel free to keep scrolling. I know this isn't recommended but I didn't have a hard and fast plan for DCM 2015. I am a (v slow) member of a triathlon club however and was mentored & advised by a running coach on a weekly/bi-weekly basis. Depending on how the previous week's training had gone (viewed on garmin) the following sessions could be tweaked or adapted as necessary. Due to achilles trouble and quad strain from an aborted DCM 2014 attempt, and under advice from my physio, I started in july with 3 running sessions per week. 1 x interval (club session), and then solo - 1 tempo and 1 LSR. I also swam one night per week with the club as recovery. As the LSRs increased I added in a MLR & then from early September I added in an extra 5km recovery run, so was swimming once a week and running 5 days. The LSRs started at c.16kms, increasing by 10% each week hitting 20 miles / 32kms by early Sept and building to 34/36kms and back down to 32kms. I did 6 x 32kms or > before race day. The last LSR was 2 weeks out, the week before 21km. Mixed in amongst the sessions were the DCM race series and DCT olympic triathlon - the day after the Frank Duffy 10mile!!!. Can't remember the ratios off the top of my head but I did try to keep mileage for the weekly sessions v the LSR at the ratios they should be. I pb'd at the half marathon 1:50 and completed DCM in 4:03, with a decent negative split.

Without a mentor this year though I think I need a plan. I'm no spring chicken, am not fast but think I have an engine when I put the work in. I'm not looking for any huge improvement time wise but would like to make it back in under the 4 hour mark, with 3.49.xx being the dream. I've been on holidays in early june, and then away for another long weekend, followed swiftly by a cold - so any fitness - such as it was - has probably slipped quite a bit recently. Since DCM I've raced Raheny 5 mile, Ballycotton 10 and Terenure 5 and 1 sprint/1 super sprint triathlon. But not much done in the way of LSRs or other running sessions in the last 4/6 weeks.

So am looking for a plan to follow but not sure where to look or what plan to choose. Is there a boards plan? someone mentioned a 'meno' plan or diego_b you mentioned the Running Shoe Guru's intermediate plan. Maybe it's a matter of getting a few together to compare. Any advice based on my ramblings above would be greatly appreciated. Best of luck on the journey everyone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Hi Unaaine
    Mentored Novice Thread going again, it has couple plans on the go its on main
    A/R page at the top. Best Luck with what ever you go with.

Kennyg71 wrote: »
    Hi Unaaine

NOP has started the 2016 novices thread as G said nop is mentoring with a team of advisors again this year so hop over onto that thread we are all jumping in with our experiences from last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Hey unaaine, good to see you back! Here's a spreadsheet of the meno plan:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Iqh0HwS7Tg0CIUOs8LPvyGiPaSKI1LxP0DIV8Vuazm8/edit#gid=906928231

It might actually be less intensive compared to what you were doing last year (just one session and long run specified in the plan each week, the rest is easy/recovery running), but it has been successful for DCM Novice thread graduates in the past.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

I am also planning on doing DCM this year and I will be using the same plan as last year which was the P&D 12 week up to 55mpw plan. The plan will start in the first week in August and I will start a week early to allow for a mini taper for the Athlone half marathon in September.

unaaine wrote: »
    Hi all, I came across the novices thread towards the end of the prep for DCM 2015 which was great fun and inspirational and I'm finding myself beginning to think about DCM again this year! I don't have a training log and didn't keep one last year apart from my uploads to garmin. DCM 2015 was my first marathon and I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of the race - didn't always enjoy the training - but did try to stay consistent and I'd say I missed very few - maybe 1 or 2 - of my planned sessions.

A little back history - as much for myself as anyone else - so feel free to keep scrolling. I know this isn't recommended but I didn't have a hard and fast plan for DCM 2015. I am a (v slow) member of a triathlon club however and was mentored & advised by a running coach on a weekly/bi-weekly basis. Depending on how the previous week's training had gone (viewed on garmin) the following sessions could be tweaked or adapted as necessary. Due to achilles trouble and quad strain from an aborted DCM 2014 attempt, and under advice from my physio, I started in july with 3 running sessions per week. 1 x interval (club session), and then solo - 1 tempo and 1 LSR. I also swam one night per week with the club as recovery. As the LSRs increased I added in a MLR & then from early September I added in an extra 5km recovery run, so was swimming once a week and running 5 days. The LSRs started at c.16kms, increasing by 10% each week hitting 20 miles / 32kms by early Sept and building to 34/36kms and back down to 32kms. I did 6 x 32kms or > before race day. The last LSR was 2 weeks out, the week before 21km. Mixed in amongst the sessions were the DCM race series and DCT olympic triathlon - the day after the Frank Duffy 10mile!!!. Can't remember the ratios off the top of my head but I did try to keep mileage for the weekly sessions v the LSR at the ratios they should be. I pb'd at the half marathon 1:50 and completed DCM in 4:03, with a decent negative split.

Without a mentor this year though I think I need a plan. I'm no spring chicken, am not fast but think I have an engine when I put the work in. I'm not looking for any huge improvement time wise but would like to make it back in under the 4 hour mark, with 3.49.xx being the dream. I've been on holidays in early june, and then away for another long weekend, followed swiftly by a cold - so any fitness - such as it was - has probably slipped quite a bit recently. Since DCM I've raced Raheny 5 mile, Ballycotton 10 and Terenure 5 and 1 sprint/1 super sprint triathlon. But not much done in the way of LSRs or other running sessions in the last 4/6 weeks.

So am looking for a plan to follow but not sure where to look or what plan to choose. Is there a boards plan? someone mentioned a 'meno' plan or diego_b you mentioned the Running Shoe Guru's intermediate plan. Maybe it's a matter of getting a few together to compare. Any advice based on my ramblings above would be greatly appreciated. Best of luck on the journey everyone :)

Good luck with your training, to me it looks like you got good advice last year. Can you get in contact with the same person again?
    The plan I am planning to go with can be gotten from here -> http://www.runningshoesguru.com/

You have to register and they send a few ebook with the plan in it and some information about it.

jake1970 wrote: »
    I am also planning on doing DCM this year and I will be using the same plan as last year which was the P&D 12 week up to 55mpw plan. The plan will start in the first week in August and I will start a week early to allow for a mini taper for the Athlone half marathon in September.

Good man Jake, best of luck with the training!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

I'm planning to do it again this year. I'm not really sure what plan I'll follow.

I looked at the Hal Higdon Intermediate plans and he has this thing where you do a pace run on a Saturday followed by a lsr on a Sunday. I think the idea is that you'd be knackered on the Sunday and wouldn't have any choice but to keep the lsr slow, but I don't think I could live with running twice on the weekend 'cos it'd disturb my alcohol habit too much.
    I might rejig it to a Friday/Saturday or just do a variation on the boards plan.

Phoebas wrote: »
    I'm planning to do it again this year. I'm not really sure what plan I'll follow.

I looked at the Hal Higdon Intermediate plans and he has this thing where you do a pace run on a Saturday followed by a lsr on a Sunday. I think the idea is that you'd be knackered on the Sunday and wouldn't have any choice but to keep the lsr slow, but I don't think I could live with running twice on the weekend 'cos it'd disturb my alcohol habit too much.
    I might rejig it to a Friday/Saturday or just do a variation on the boards plan.

Did you have a look at Dave Carries marathon plan in Irish runner mag I did it last year and found it good. I can email it to you if you pm me your email address. Myles also left us a marathon plan in his plans when he would down the page a few pages back.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Mrs Mc wrote: »
    Did you have a look at Dave Carries marathon plan in Irish runner mag I did it last year and found it good. I can email it to you if you pm me your email address. Myles also left us a marathon plan in his plans when he would down the page a few pages back.
    PM sent. Thanks.

Kennyg71 wrote: »
    Hi Unaaine
    Mrs Mc wrote: »
    NOP has started the 2016 novices thread as G said nop is mentoring with a team of advisors again this year so hop over onto that thread we are all jumping in with our experiences from last year.
    Singer wrote: »
    Hey unaaine, good to see you back! Here's a spreadsheet of the meno plan:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Iqh0HwS7Tg0CIUOs8LPvyGiPaSKI1LxP0DIV8Vuazm8/edit#gid=906928231

It might actually be less intensive compared to what you were doing last year (just one session and long run specified in the plan each week, the rest is easy/recovery running), but it has been successful for DCM Novice thread graduates in the past.
    Good luck with your training, to me it looks like you got good advice last year. Can you get in contact with the same person again?
    The plan I am planning to go with can be gotten from here -> http://www.runningshoesguru.com/

You have to register and they send a few ebook with the plan in it and some information about it.

Thanks for all the replies folks, will have a look at the different plans, would like to get something that works similar to last year as it suited me. Will check out the mentored novices thread too thanks. Happy memories :)

I always did my LSR on a Saturday last year with a short recovery run on Sundays. It left Saturday nights a bit more flexible in terms of a social life! It did mean bed early on Fridays but I was usually really tired anyway after the working week.

PM sent. Thanks.

Just emailed it to you now hope it got through okay. :D

• Advertisement

2 weeks in and I'm back at the "how the **** am I going to keep this up for 26.2 stage" after 13.1 miles :)

Advertisement