Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aerlingus AerClub/Avios

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭steve-o

The Aer Lingus core booking system is ancient and most online/app services (seats, bags, bid to upgrade, online checkin, etc) are only available for bookings made through the website/app systems.

Most travel agent or multi-airline bookings are made directly on the core booking system and can't be modified by the website system, partly because of travel trade rules about who "owns" the reservation, but really because the Aer Lingus computer systems suck.

But they are no worse than most other airlines, who have similarly flaky systems. Others, such as Delta, have invested heavily in IT and are years ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

steve-o wrote: »
    The Aer Lingus core booking system is ancient and most online/app services (seats, bags, bid to upgrade, online checkin, etc) are only available for bookings made through the website/app systems.

Most travel agent or multi-airline bookings are made directly on the core booking system and can't be modified by the website system, partly because of travel trade rules about who "owns" the reservation, but really because the Aer Lingus computer systems suck.

But they are no worse than most other airlines, who have similarly flaky systems. Others, such as Delta, have invested heavily in IT and are years ahead.

With the hidden benefits! My employer's travel software (US based) offers EI flights and connections that are not available from aerlingus.com.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

EI's IT is old but unlike BA's it doesn't crash every other week

Every reservation (and every check in in IE/UK/US/CA/NL and online) is processed by the legacy system ASTRAL. All the extras go through Datalex.

Travel agents can issue tickets via EI with all sorts of combinations with other carriers and thats fine, but they are legacy tickets are not manageable online, that said you should be able to see a read only version online. No matter the airline if you call them up and try to alter a travel agent ticket they will refuse unless its 72 hours before departure where the airline takes 'ownership' of the tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭micosoft

With the hidden benefits! My employer's travel software (US based) offers EI flights and connections that are not available from aerlingus.com.

Same. EI's is shocking.
    Favorite is Delta/KLM who have really great systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Arbie

Just saw this Groupon deal selling Avios: https://www.groupon.ie/deals/avios-32

Ranges from 2,000 points for €29 to 35,000 points for €429. Bizarrely they charge more per Avios the more you buy.

Is this a good deal? Looks expensive to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭VG31

Arbie wrote: »

Ranges from 2,000 points for €29 to 35,000 points for €429. Bizarrely they charge more per Avios the more you buy.

Yes it is quite a good deal, particularly for 2,000 Avios. Iberia had the same offer recently and my Avios still haven't been credited.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Arbie wrote: »

It’s always expensive to buy them, 8000 for 109 will get you about 50 quid of flights if using pay by Avios. The 35,000 for 429 will get you a business class upgrade to New York so it depends what you plan to do with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Qprmeath

SuperValu points converting to one and a half Avios at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

So I had booked 2 "free flights" to Europe on my Aer Credit Card a few months ago (saving about €20 each on the normal price after paying taxes and charges). Bit of a joke really.

Went online to add a bag today and couldn't as it is not a "booking directly made with aerlingus.com". So rang them to add the bag:

Aer Lingus "yes sir, €50 each way"
    Me: "Oh, says €40 online"
    Aer Lingus: "yes that's online, but if you phone up it costs €50
    Me: "But I have to phone up, it's an Aer Credit Card booking and I can't manage the booking online".
    Aer Lingus: "Let me talk to a supervisor"
    Aer Lingus: "I've talked to my supervisor. You're already getting a great promotion so you have to pay the phone booking price of €50".
    Me: "No thanks, I'll complain, I don't think I should have to pay an extra €10 because I'm "lucky" enough to have these flights and Aer Lingus systems won't let me book online.

A joke in my opinion. Doubtless others might say it is what it is. The time spent ringing a phoneline to start the booking process of the flights, getting them to come back with a confirmation a couple of days later, and just saving €20 on just booking normally was bad enough. But now they want to cross another €10 off the saving. I should have ignored the "free flights" and just booked online myself, would have saved me the stress!

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Diego Tristan

A joke in my opinion. Doubtless others might say it is what it is.

So the Aer Lingus IT system can't cope with the Aer Lingus reward booking, so they charge you the customer more as a result. Think anyone with any common sense would agree with you. Wonder if the call centre rep really checked with a supervisor, or just put you on hold for a few seconds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Wonder if the call centre rep really checked with a supervisor, or just put you on hold for a few seconds.

Oh I asked and got the name of the supervisor for the record!

Avios reward bookings ALWAYS include a checked 20kg bag.

The credit card terms are as published and is a waste of cash, there is no value to be had really.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

The Aer Lingus affiliated credit card is clearly a waste of time - even as a frequent flyer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

I'm going to Chicago on Sunday and flying back from Miami the following week. Called Aerclub yesterday about cashing in my Platinum upgrade and was told the waiting list for my preferred led, Miami --> Dublin was full and that I'd be put on the waiting list for Dublin --> Chicago. I don't have any other transatlantic trips with AL planned this year so wondering how good are they are carrying over the upgrade?

No carry over, had 3 to carry over and they wouldn't even though they turned me down multiple times in the year

Wouldn't even allow me to use one for European Aer Space either.

Its a bit of a con really as its become very very difficult to use them

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

No carry over, had 3 to carry over and they wouldn't even though they turned me down multiple times in the year

When I was Concierge I had 4 upgrades but didn’t use them.

Myself and herself went to New York but I used the free companion ticket instead, so I booked business return for myself and herself got a complimentary business class return ticket.
    I didn’t want to risk booking economy and using the 4 upgrades in case we couldn’t get bumped up. (Wasn’t interested in going at all if it wasn’t in business class!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

The whole thing is a bit of a con really. A lot of loyalty for very little reward. The main benefit for me is fastpass and that's available at silver. I've little interest in spending extra time in the airport so the lounge is only really useful when delayed.

Will have a lot of EU travel this year so thinking of switching tack to BA and trying to climb the tiers there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭BigMoose

I do a lot of DUB-SFO plus random European trips. One reason I'd stick with EI is for the chance of a free upgrade once I hit platinum. Given they aren't members of a bigger alliance and half my trips end up being with like likes of Lufthansa, I'll be tempted to switch to United when they start the service in the summer if the EI upgrades aren't even usable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

BigMoose wrote: »
    I'll be tempted to switch to United when they start the service in the summer if the EI upgrades aren't even usable.

Think a lot of people may be doing that as they have a premium economy option. Luckily we can go business but my wife is only allowed premium so opts to go through LHR with BA rather than go economy with EI

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Board Walker

Yeah EI's rewards are pretty well worked out to be as difficult as possible. I'm going doing my Luxembourg trips with KLM when it starts in cork rather than EI/BA. I have the AF/ALM Petroleum card too so i can use their lounge in Amsterdam in both directions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Dublinflyer

BigMoose wrote: »
    I do a lot of DUB-SFO plus random European trips. One reason I'd stick with EI is for the chance of a free upgrade once I hit platinum. Given they aren't members of a bigger alliance and half my trips end up being with like likes of Lufthansa, I'll be tempted to switch to United when they start the service in the summer if the EI upgrades aren't even usable.

I do this route quite a bit but have never managed to get an upgrade and I am concierge with them. The SFO route business tends to be very full most of the time with all the tech guys on the flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭crisco10

Yeah EI's rewards are pretty well worked out to be as difficult as possible. I'm going doing my Luxembourg trips with KLM when it starts in cork rather than EI/BA. I have the AF/ALM Petroleum card too so i can use their lounge in Amsterdam in both directions.

And in addition to the "worked out" impossible elements, the inability to credit flights reliably eats away at your reward potential too.

As I've said before, Aer Lingus don't want Aer Club, but can't be seen to remove it either.

crisco10 wrote: »
    Aer Lingus don't want Aer Club, but can't be seen to remove it either.

This.

When IAG bought AL, they didn’t and don’t give a crap about loyalty. BA is their premium brand. Aer Lingus is their low fare offering, trying to compete with Ryanair and the like...

They really couldn’t have made AerClub any worse if they tried.

It’s almost like they want it to fail, so when the numbers are pi$$ poor in a few years, they’ll have no qualms about shutting it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Haven't read the whole thread, but is there an Avios/Aerclub app or card? The Kildare village offer states showing your card at the reception, but I cant find a way of ordering one.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You get a card when you get status. I believe you can just give the number to Kildare Village

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Number from the app is enough for Kildare village.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Board Walker

OU812 wrote: »
    Haven't read the whole thread, but is there an Avios/Aerclub app or card? The Kildare village offer states showing your card at the reception, but I cant find a way of ordering one.

No card for Green Tier like BA. Lots of Airlines offer them for starting off members but i guess its greener to not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭crisco10

No card for Green Tier like BA. Lots of Airlines offer them for starting off members but i guess its greener to not.

Well technically, there is a "digital card", which you are free to print if you wish. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

does anyone know if I can add my Aerclub number to a booking my wife made for the family? Can't see an option on my aerclub profile. cheers

• Advertisement

tomwaits48 wrote: »
    does anyone know if I can add my Aerclub number to a booking my wife made for the family? Can't see an option on my aerclub profile. cheers

Do it at the airport upon check in, or when you check in online.

Aer Lingus make it very difficult to add an AerClub number to a booking made by someone else.

Advertisement