Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aerlingus AerClub/Avios

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Dublinflyer

tomwaits48 wrote: »
    does anyone know if I can add my Aerclub number to a booking my wife made for the family? Can't see an option on my aerclub profile. cheers

If you update the contact e-mail address in the booking to the same one you use in AerClub the booking will appear. I have to book my work travel using my work e-mail but then I look up the booking on the EI site and update the contact mail address on the booking and then it appears in my aerClub upcoming flights list.

I know, stupid but it works!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

tomwaits48 wrote: »
    does anyone know if I can add my Aerclub number to a booking my wife made for the family? Can't see an option on my aerclub profile. cheers

I was looking this up, the other, day as My husband booked flights and I wanted to add them to my account. You can do it after you fly apparently there's a link to use. I'll try find it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

Hi all, I have a flight with EI this weekend with an onward connection on United. The United flight does not have an EI number but was booked on the EI website. Will I earn Aerclub points on it?
    Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Just avios

You only earn on tickets sold by EI flying on planes with a Shamrock on the tail

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Just avios

You only earn on tickets sold by EI flying on planes with a Shamrock on the tail

Assume you mean you only earn TIER points on the EI metal.

On United you’ll earn Avios but not tier credits.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,753 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

So I had booked 2 "free flights" to Europe on my Aer Credit Card a few months ago (saving about €20 each on the normal price after paying taxes and charges). Bit of a joke really.

Went online to add a bag today and couldn't as it is not a "booking directly made with aerlingus.com". So rang them to add the bag:

Aer Lingus "yes sir, €50 each way"
    Me: "Oh, says €40 online"
    Aer Lingus: "yes that's online, but if you phone up it costs €50
    Me: "But I have to phone up, it's an Aer Credit Card booking and I can't manage the booking online".
    Aer Lingus: "Let me talk to a supervisor"
    Aer Lingus: "I've talked to my supervisor. You're already getting a great promotion so you have to pay the phone booking price of €50".
    Me: "No thanks, I'll complain, I don't think I should have to pay an extra €10 because I'm "lucky" enough to have these flights and Aer Lingus systems won't let me book online.

A joke in my opinion. Doubtless others might say it is what it is. The time spent ringing a phoneline to start the booking process of the flights, getting them to come back with a confirmation a couple of days later, and just saving €20 on just booking normally was bad enough. But now they want to cross another €10 off the saving. I should have ignored the "free flights" and just booked online myself, would have saved me the stress!
    So the Aer Lingus IT system can't cope with the Aer Lingus reward booking, so they charge you the customer more as a result. Think anyone with any common sense would agree with you. Wonder if the call centre rep really checked with a supervisor, or just put you on hold for a few seconds.
    Oh I asked and got the name of the supervisor for the record!

So Aer Lingus came back on my complaint and apologised, saying they would "honour" the €40 price as I couldn't do it online. I had strongly hinted that I would expect the bag for free after all the hassle, but they are just sorry for the inconvenience.
    As for giving them the names of staff that try to overcharge, not a hint of "we'll make sure they are told" at all.

So if you can be bothered to book one of these AerCredit card "free flights", and want a bag or a seat, beware when paying on the phone!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Managed to get a Platinum tier business class upgrade for Dub-Chicago this weekend. Curious though, i think my original booking was "Smart" and now shows "Business".

Will I get the Business level tier credits?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Managed to get a Platinum tier business class upgrade for Dub-Chicago this weekend. Curious though, i think my original booking was "Smart" and now shows "Business".

Nope. You’ll only get the credits for the booked class.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Nope. You’ll only get the credits for the boomed class.

I'd be hoping the plane doesn't go boom ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I'd be hoping the plane doesn't go boom ;)

Hah damn typo.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 dublin15head

How did you go about enquiring about the upgrade. I have done it at platinum on my way up to Concierge and I had called an AerClub number.

Back at platinum again heading down the tiers and rang up this evening to try for an upgrade on an upcoming flight and was told I had to email.

Anyone else had to do the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

How did you go about enquiring about the upgrade. I have done it at platinum on my way up to Concierge and I had called an AerClub number.

Back at platinum again heading down the tiers and rang up this evening to try for an upgrade on an upcoming flight and was told I had to email.

Anyone else had to do the same?

aerclubupgrade@aerlingus.com

Response within 24 hours. I would email them as soon as you book the flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 dublin15head

aerclubupgrade@aerlingus.com

Response within 24 hours. I would email them as soon as you book the flight.

Thanks, pretty efficient from AerClub

Response to confirm upgraded granted within 24 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Greg81

Sorry if that was answered already before. I just could not find it.

I believe there are 2 option to spend points against plane tickets.

First one is booking tickets where points gives you a discount.

Second one is the one that I do not understand completely. I choose the flight, then choose amount of points that would like to have deducted plus amount I have to pay. That is fine but then I am getting info I need to pay tax and that tax is higher than original ticket prices on Aerlingus website. Am I doing something wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Greg81 wrote: »

Second one is the one that I do not understand completely. I choose the flight, then choose amount of points that would like to have deducted plus amount I have to pay. That is fine but then I am getting info I need to pay tax and that tax is higher than original ticket prices on Aerlingus website. Am I doing something wrong?

Nope - the value is pitiful. Best use is for upgrades to business class as far as I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Am I doing something wrong?

No but Aer Lingus most certainly are...

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭SB Morer

You will get much better value using Avios for British Airways or OneWorld redemptions. Even if you want to use them for an Aer Lingus redemption move them to BA Executive Club and book with them over the phone and you’ll pay much lower taxes/fees

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Greg81

SB Morer wrote: »
    You will get much better value using Avios for British Airways or OneWorld redemptions. Even if you want to use them for an Aer Lingus redemption move them to BA Executive Club and book with them over the phone and you’ll pay much lower taxes/fees

Thank you for the tip

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭crisco10

How do you move them from AerClub to BA Exec Club? I've moved to BA Exec club, and have some legacy points (about 15k) in my Aerclub account.

As an aside, BA exec club is so much better. Firstly, it actually works. Secondly, there are a million ways to earn avios (Booking.com etc).

• Advertisement

crisco10 wrote: »
    How do you move them from AerClub to BA Exec Club? I've moved to BA Exec club, and have some legacy points (about 15k) in my Aerclub account.

As an aside, BA exec club is so much better. Firstly, it actually works. Secondly, there are a million ways to earn avios (Booking.com etc).

You can earn AerClub Avios though Booking.com too and many of the same earning partners and stores as BAEC. Actually for hotels Expedia.ie award 10 Avios per €1 through the AerClub eStore whereas they aren’t partnered with the BAEC eStore.

Moving points is quite simple. Go to Avios.com and login with your AerClub details. Then click ‘Manage my account’ and then ‘Combine my Avios’. Select British Airways on the right and move your points.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭crisco10

You can earn AerClub Avios though Booking.com too and many of the same earning partners and stores as BAEC. Actually for hotels Expedia.ie award 10 Avios per €1 through the AerClub eStore whereas they aren’t partnered with the BAEC eStore.

Moving points is quite simple. Go to Avios.com and login with your AerClub details. Then click ‘Manage my account’ and then ‘Combine my Avios’. Select British Airways on the right and move your points.

Everyday is a school day!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭BigMoose

How come the tax varies per airline? Surely it's set by the state that the airport resides in? You're paying departure tax and probably VAT on the ticket? I dont understand how BA charges less than Aerlingus for the very same flight unless Aerlingus are up to no good falsely raising the tax on these award flights?

BigMoose wrote: »
    How come the tax varies per airline? Surely it's set by the state that the airport resides in? You're paying departure tax and probably VAT on the ticket? I dont understand how BA charges less than Aerlingus for the very same flight unless Aerlingus are up to no good falsely raising the tax on these award flights?

They are composed of ‘taxes, fees and carrier charges’. Taxes are fixed by the relevant government, but the fees and carrier charges are arbitrary it would seem. They do not provide an accurate breakdown of these costs. In this example the blogger Travel with Grant was asked to pay 32,500 Avios + $119.36 in taxes/fees via BA over the phone, compared to the Aer Lingus price of 32,500 Avios and $309.77 in taxes/fees via Avios.com. The same number of Avios, but $190.41 less in taxes and charges.

https://travelwithgrant.boardingarea.com/2019/05/31/how-to-book-aer-lingus-award-tickets-with-british-airways-avios-call-ba-to-save-100-on-taxes-fees/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭BigMoose

Oh yes, I forgot about "fees" - that's an outrageous difference from EI...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,753 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

So Aer Lingus came back on my complaint and apologised, saying they would "honour" the €40 price as I couldn't do it online. I had strongly hinted that I would expect the bag for free after all the hassle, but they are just sorry for the inconvenience.
    As for giving them the names of staff that try to overcharge, not a hint of "we'll make sure they are told" at all.

So if you can be bothered to book one of these AerCredit card "free flights", and want a bag or a seat, beware when paying on the phone!

So..now that I am going on my "free" flight, and I am Silver AerClub - will I get the lounge access given that it is "free", i.e. does your Silver status only give you lounge/priority boarding when it's a fully paid up ticket or when you are flying Aer Lingus regardless. Nothing would surprise me, and the "free flight" boarding pass doesn't reference priority!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

So..now that I am going on my "free" flight, and I am Silver AerClub - will I get the lounge access given that it is "free", i.e. does your Silver status only give you lounge/priority boarding when it's a fully paid up ticket or when you are flying Aer Lingus regardless. Nothing would surprise me, and the "free flight" boarding pass doesn't reference priority!

As long as you are flying Aer Lingus branded metal, it doesn’t matter how you got your ticket, If a member of AerClub you get lounge access.

No matter the ticket type if its an EI operated flight and you are Aer Club silver or better you get in

The actual EI boarding card barcode encodes nothing as to the tickets origin in terms of price or agent, the staff can check this up but thats hassle.

I've had no issue with a ticket sold by AF flying out of Dublin on EI on the old KLM code share with a Delta FF number on the boarding card... (also got previous evening check in who happily assigned me a seat up front). Only point of interest was at the Fast Track who were a little confused but EI card + EI flight so it was fine

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Board Walker

Can you use the KLM Lounge in AMS if you are platinum? Giving that the flight is code shared with KLM to Cork..

• Advertisement

EI does not use the KLM lounge in AMS, its the Aspire I think now

If its EI metal + EI status => Access

Advertisement