Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aerlingus AerClub/Avios

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭VG31

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    VG31 wrote: »
    It can sometimes be good value if there are still reward seats available at the last minute. For example to LHR paying 4,000 Avios plus €38 is better than a €150 (basic) fare.
    Is that with BA or EI? I have found the BA structure/offers to be better.

EI is actually 4000 Avios + €17 DUB to LHR. €39 is LHR to DUB.

I've only ever booked Avios fares with BA. Sometimes last minute Avios bookings in Club Europe have worked out to be the cheapest option for me since economy reward seats tend to sell out much faster.

For example this Sunday the cheapest p.m. flight from LON to DUB is EI179 (€282). However there are Club Europe reward seats on BA836/838/828 for 7,750 Avios + €31. If you value Avios at €0.014, that works out at ~ €140 making it by far the cheapest flight (and that's business class).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,417 ✭✭✭✭cson

VG31 wrote: »
    (and that's business class).

Eurobusiness =/= Business Class.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Nicetrustedcup

It cost me 16k in the end Plus 120 euros for 2 people return to Amsterdam from cork airport

I think it was about 300 for the flights normally and I can also check in my bags so no liquids to worry about.

So happy saved 180 euros and free checked in bags

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Board Walker

Is the avios site down again?

Cant click on the page to bring you to the collect page

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

I'm travelling Dublin - Chicago, Chicago - Miami and Miami - Dublin in January. Aer Lingus do direct flights on the transatlantic legs but not the internal. Any way to book through Aer Lingus to maximise the Avios gain?

Google flights returns the whole trip at about €800 but I have to then book through United's website which would mean no tier points as I understand it?

Also, work will be paying the transatlantic flights, any top tips for cheap internal US flights?

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Also, work will be paying the transatlantic flights, any top tips for cheap internal US flights?

Thanks!

JetBlue. Excellent airline. Avoid Allegiant and Frontier, IMHO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Nothing wrong with southwest airlines either
    I've flown both

• Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭Casati

I'm travelling Dublin - Chicago, Chicago - Miami and Miami - Dublin in January. Aer Lingus do direct flights on the transatlantic legs but not the internal. Any way to book through Aer Lingus to maximise the Avios gain?

Google flights returns the whole trip at about €800 but I have to then book through United's website which would mean no tier points as I understand it?

Thanks!

The cheapest way to get that is to do as you have done and book a through ticket. Booking the internal legs with auS airlines will likely end up costing more than 800 quid alone. I wouldn’t bother chasing tier points in this case

No way 800 for just a one way Chicago mia

Google flights show ORD MIA for as little as €70
    About a third of the dates months ahead
    A lot sub €200 on other dates
    Many under €100

Dearest I see is €347 but you'd want to be unlucky to pick that date
    ALL RETURN
    One way is half those !

You could get your company to book the transatlantic on EI,out to ORD and back from MIA

If you get on well with whoever's doing the work bookings,they might do the internals separate for you if they're work
    However don't do them the same day as EI in case theres irrops

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Mortelaro wrote: »
    One way is half those !

One way is not half on EI longhaul. Its often significantly dearer. Ye-olde pricing model that they do not use on shorthaul.

They allow openjaw returns, however; I booked DUB-ORD; CLT-JFK-DUB for my mother a while back and got it priced as a return on the EI legs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

L1011 wrote: »
    One way is not half on EI longhaul. Its often significantly dearer. Ye-olde pricing model that they do not use on shorthaul.

They allow openjaw returns, however; I booked DUB-ORD; CLT-JFK-DUB for my mother a while back and got it priced as a return on the EI legs.

Think they meant for the US domestic leg, not the EI TATL.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Think they meant for the US domestic leg, not the EI TATL.

Yeah, I probably shouldn't have jumped to that conclusion and actually read the post properly.... however lots of US fares are still based on return fare basises also with the same results.

L1011 wrote: »

Yeah I know that
    I am referring to the one way U.S internals if the OP wants to do it that way
    He might only at best get a 24hr stop over in Chicago without the fare going way higher on the one ticket ,he might want a few days there for example

Irrops though I would be worried about,going down the separate tickets route
    A travel agent should be able to book the entire itinerary on one pnr if theres a 2 or 3 day or more stop over in chicago
    Regardless this Is his company's baby
    If they want him in certain cities so far apart on the one trip,they'll have to pay for it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Yeah I know that
    I am referring to the one way U.S internals if the OP wants to do it that way
    He might only at best get a 24hr stop over in Chicago without the fare going way higher on the one ticket ,he might want a few days there for example

Irrops though I would be worried about,going down the separate tickets route
    A travel agent should be able to book the entire itinerary on one pnr if theres a 2 or 3 day or more stop over in chicago
    Regardless this Is his company's baby
    If they want him in certain cities so far apart on the one trip,they'll have to pay for it

Miami is a holiday. ;)

Thanks all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,554 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Thanks!

The OH did this routing last month.

ORD-MIA with American was just over €100

Miami is a holiday. ;)

Thanks all.

Its simple then, let work book Ord in and Mia home and you do the Ord Mia flight yourself for cheap enough
    As you'll be in Mia on holidays long before your flight home obviously, irrops won't be an issue
    Any long enough delays at Mia will be covered by EU261 even

597 points and my points will zero tonight, still waiting on EI to award my points from last Friday Ams-ORK. Funny i flew over the day before and i got the points on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

It's all good, I'd say they will post overnight, either way the system is smart enough to trigger status when the do eventually post. The points must be earned before the year end, not post before year end.

Worst case it will issue Silver card and a week later a Platinum

It's all good, I'd say they will post overnight, either way the system is smart enough to trigger status when the do eventually post. The points must be earned before the year end, not post before year end.

Worst case it will issue Silver card and a week later a Platinum

I wish i had your confidence in EI :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Well despite only making 1 trip in the last 12 months, amassing only 50 Tier Credits, I was downgraded to Silver from Platinum.

So it seems the 1 step tier reduction is in place.
    (Last year I went from Concierge to Platinum despite only getting about 400 tier credits).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,770 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

edit: wrong thread

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

I've gone green...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭NSAman

I've gone green...

I'd see a doctor in that case!

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭larry1

Can I use Avios points for lounge access at Dublin and LAX for my family? If so, is there a link page please? Thanks!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

larry1 wrote: »
    Can I use Avios points for lounge access at Dublin and LAX for my family?

No.

But depending on Tier level, you could get guests in in Ireland, however if travelling Trans Atlantic, you don't want to be using the Aer Lingus lounge as it's pre US Immigration.

I went platnum!

Inwas told with platnum i can use the BA lounge if im flying with BA? or is it just for code share flights?

BA lounge T3/T5 LHR only

Only if flying DUB/SNN/ORK to/from LHR on a BA issued ticket with the flight from Ireland operated by Aer Lingus. The staff will look at you as if you are from the planet Zog but persist and ask them to confirm from the book and eventually you get in.

I have a flight to LUX from ORK through LHR tomorrow and its an EI ticket.

Amazing that you cant check in online for the EI part but no problem with the BA part.

Are Aer Lingus really so far behind?

You should be able to check in, you need the reference number starting with 2 to make it go on the Aer Lingus site

Its a BA issue more than EI, BA sold the ticket, EI systems happily able to do the check in only gotcha is no seat selection, you get what the system picks.

• Advertisement

EI sold the ticket not BA, its a EI booking code with a 2.

thats the worst part! couldn't even get into the booking on the app to view the reference number.

I can check in on the web site but it wont issue a boarding pass. it keeps coming up as "opps" on the app. always the same going to LUX through LHR.

Advertisement