Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AddressPal & Lockers - An Post's Parcel Service SEE MOD WARNING FIRST POST

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Siucre. My 9 year with Crohns is on a limited diet, and one of the items that she is addicted to, which is missing is 4 boxes of these: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FOXS-MILK-CHOCOLATE-VIENNESE-24-X-120G-PACKS-2-BOX/362977743781
    The page on the Dept of Agriculture website appears to be broken (surprise, surprise!) but here is the info from NI (same rules apply):

https://www.daera-ni.gov.uk/articles/summary-personal-food-import-restrictions

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭RCSATELLITES

Fwarder wrote: »
    My words exactly. That is as poor service from their side as it comes.

Of course customer service doesn't work today so I guess we'll find out more on Monday morning what's the story there.

The whole parcel was opened and glued back by addresspal folks (address pal tape all over the place)

Looks like they will hve a few damaged claims heading there way.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Fwarder

Looks like they will hve a few damaged claims heading there way.

Not sure about damaged claims, although I'm wondering whom to contact to avoid this in the future...I'm not expecting to avoid fees, but I'm not expecting to be paying them based on someones (un)educated guess of the item value either

Not sure about damaged claims, although I'm wondering whom to contact to avoid this in the future...I'm not expecting to avoid fees, but I'm not expecting to be paying them based on someones (un)educated guess of the item value either

This is a hard one. As any company sending / selling items to Ireland will have to attach a customs decleration. Saying what the item is and how much it costs. Now when they send to addresspal they will think they don't have to do this as it's a UK address. Addresspal will need to start asking their customers like us for invoices or proof of the item. I am sure not going down this route like vrt where they charge you on a made up price or what it's cost in ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Fwarder

This is a hard one. As any company sending / selling items to Ireland will have to attach a customs decleration. Saying what the item is and how much it costs. Now when they send to addresspal they will think they don't have to do this as it's a UK address. Addresspal will need to start asking their customers like us for invoices or proof of the item. I am sure not going down this route like vrt where they chare you on a made up price or what it's cost in ireland.

Yep, that's the problem currently. AddressPal doing the random evaluations without engaging its customers for advice regarding the item :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

And after my blasting them here this afternoon- just got an e-mail from them in the last half hour:

Hello Xxxxxxxxxx

Good news! Your AddressPal item has been received, and your item will be delivered to the following address:

xxxxx
    Lower Main Street
    xxxxxx
    Co. xxxxxxx
    xxx xxxx

Payment of €140.99 has been processed and is received with thanks.

AddressPal USA items will be delivered within 5 to 6 working days. You can track your item by visiting www.anpost.ie/track using the following tracking number: LE xxx xxx xxx IE

Kind Regards

AddressPal Team

An Post

Thats the US bits and bobs sorted- now to try and figure what in gods name the story is with the UK items.
    From the amount of the charge- I am guessing they've repackaged everything together- as I most certainly wasn't expecting the charge to be that high..........

• Registered Users Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Would it not be advisable to ask the UK seller to put a customs declaration or receipt on the package even though it's going to AP UK ?

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Maidhci

Discodog wrote: »
    Would it not be advisable to ask the UK seller to put a customs declaration or receipt on the package even though it's going to AP UK ?

That would sort the issue, but I don't think many UK suppliers would be prepared to do that, certainly for smaller items. I presume if they were willing to do this they could dispatch direct to Ireland addresses and customs duty/VAT (if applicable) would be collected when goods delivered?

Any uk seller would be very reluctant to do that and anything out of the ordinary really.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

They normally contact the buyer to get paperwork., and customs can check your paypal/bank records for proof of what you have paid. In the current situation they maybe trying to clear backlogs etc. In future make sure your seller includes some sort of invoice in the package and completes the customs declaration.

If you check their AddressPal/An Post T&Cs they have the right to open and inspect the packages.

• Advertisement

whiterebel wrote: »
    They normally contact the buyer to get paperwork., and customs can check your paypal/bank records for proof of what you have paid. In the current situation they maybe trying to clear backlogs etc. In future make sure your seller includes some sort of invoice in the package and completes the customs declaration.

If you check their AddressPal/An Post T&Cs they have the right to open and inspect the packages.

No customs decleration for UK address which addresspal is. Also probably won't be able to get the seller to exclude uk vat as they will say its a uk address.

So AddressPal is now obsolete, hence why dpd parcel wizard and parcel motel are not working anymore.

Irish buyers should not pay uk vat but how do you tell the seller that addresspal is not in the uk when it is. They will just get confused easily and say they can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Any uk seller would be very reluctant to do that and anything out of the ordinary really.

I've had quite a few deliveries from UK, in the past, with a plastic envelope on the outside containing the delivery note/invoice.
    This served as the address label.

I've had quite a few deliveries from UK, in the past, with a plastic envelope on the outside containing the delivery note/invoice.
    This served as the address label.

Yes that does happen, I was talking about a customs decleration document which the guy said.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Anyone in business should be able to put bill to and ship to addresses on their paperwork. Should be.......

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

At least Polar Express (the crowd they use in the US) do a proper CN23 customs declaration, and send you a PDF of the declaration for your records.
    The US seem to be around a week behind (aka it takes them around a week to process items once they receive them, and then another 4-5 days to deliver them- so its a 2 week turnaround).

I wonder can the UK crowd do a similar service, with at least a similar if not better turnaround, to the US crowd?

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭tiegan

Ok so I have been waiting for an addresspal item. Used my home delivery address. Just got a text from an post. Item was valued at 61.62 euro by an post. Actually pretty close to the actual value. VAT added of 12.94e. And An Post Fee of 3.50e. Total 16.44e.
    This was a test run to see how it played out. I buy second hand saddles in the uk, so I wanted to know how it was going to work. Will be interested to see how everyone else fares that is waiting for a parcel. There is a link to pay the charge, or else you can pay in the post office.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭5star02707

tiegan wrote: »
    Ok so I have been waiting for an addresspal item. Used my home delivery address. Just got a text from an post. Item was valued at 61.62 euro by an post. Actually pretty close to the actual value. VAT added of 12.94e. And An Post Fee of 3.50e. Total 16.44e.
    This was a test run to see how it played out. I buy second hand saddles in the uk, so I wanted to know how it was going to work. Will be interested to see how everyone else fares that is waiting for a parcel. There is a link to pay the charge, or else you can pay in the post office.

How long was transit from UK to Ireland? Also after paying 6.50 from AP you still have to pay VAT and an post fee? Just to have an idea

5star02707 wrote: »
    How long was transit from UK to Ireland? Also after paying 6.50 from AP you still have to pay VAT and an post fee? Just to have an idea
    Yes. Item arrived at uk addresspal hub on Tues 5th Jan. Was notified today it had arrived in Dublin hub. So 4 days. VAT was due, and the charge of 3.50 from an post for collecting the VAT - although they call it "duty" on their correspondence. But when you go to pay it, its definitely the VAT. Just paid online, so hopefully receive it mon/tues.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

So a item value at €60 from Uk using AP would cost you €83 all in

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    So a item value at €60 from Uk using AP would cost you €83 all in
    Well that's what it cost me. Interested to see how others fare. Hopefully the 3.50 charge will not increase!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 mr_jackapple

I had a package delivered to AP in the UK on Wednesday (6 Jan). Still waiting for a confirmation from AnPost to say that they've received it. I don't think there'll be any invoice with the package so god knows how they'll get their valuation to calculate VAT etc. It's a used camera which cost me 90GBP. I will pay it regardless and dispute afterwards if needed. What an absolute pain. Looks like eBay sellers are not deducating the VAT at checkout so it means things are going to be so much more expesnive.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭ClarkyTrd

Hi folks,

I've ordered something from amazon via address pal, it says it was received at carrier facility on 2nd Jan, then delivered to my 'UK Address Pal address on Monday 4th.

What happens now? It says item has been delivered when I check it on amazon. Should I receive word from an post now or??

Cheers

ClarkyTrd wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I've ordered something from amazon via address pal, it says it was received at carrier facility on 2nd Jan, then delivered to my 'UK Address Pal address on Monday 4th.

What happens now? It says item has been delivered when I check it on amazon. Should I receive word from an post now or??

Cheers

I had something delivered to AP in Hatfield on the 6th and still waiting to hear. From reviewing other comments, seems like it is taking 7-10 days for confirmation from AnPost. I guess with the absence of ParcelWizard and ParcelMotel, Adresspal is probably getting swamped.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭ClarkyTrd

I had something delivered to AP in Hatfield on the 6th and still waiting to hear. From reviewing other comments, seems like it is taking 7-10 days for confirmation from AnPost. I guess with the absence of ParcelWizard and ParcelMotel, Adresspal is probably getting swamped.

Yeah I'd imagine they are fairly busy, but after reading the reviews about address pal, it wasn't giving me much hope of it arriving. Fingers crossed we hear back! It's a disaster getting stuff in from the UK now with Brexit 🙄

ClarkyTrd wrote: »
    Yeah I'd imagine they are fairly busy, but after reading the reviews about address pal, it wasn't giving me much hope of it arriving. Fingers crossed we hear back! It's a disaster getting stuff in from the UK now with Brexit ��

It'll definitely arrive, but it'll just take time. Yeah, brexit... it's an absolute nightmare. It's just going to be a matter of getting used to it and looking for alternatives. Things will settle with time. Keep us update if anything happens with your delivery. As I said, it does seems like things are taking a week or more to get checked in. I think it's the fear of the unknown that causes the main concern.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭bdmc5

It'll definitely arrive, but it'll just take time. Yeah, brexit... it's an absolute nightmare. It's just going to be a matter of getting used to it and looking for alternatives. Things will settle with time. Keep us update if anything happens with your delivery. As I said, it does seems like things are taking a week or more to get checked in. I think it's the fear of the unknown that causes the main concern.

Christ 7-10 to get checked in alone ? I did a test run on a cheap product I needed from AMZ just before new year , it delivered on 28th Dec and got email next day 29th.

Now ordered a 2nd item that arrived Thursday the 7th at addresspal hub and no update yet so seems it’s much slower now. Almost to the point it might as well get it delivered to home address directly from AMZ(if it ships to Ireland)

Signed up to free prime in AMZ Germany now and lead time to Ireland is about 10-11 days. Faster than using addresspal in UK but still so frustratingly slow. Really hope parcel motel come back with a solution to speed things up even for a cost

• Registered Users Posts: 38 AmyMay

bdmc5 wrote: »
    Christ 7-10 to get checked in alone ? I did a test run on a cheap product I needed from AMZ just before new year , it delivered on 28th Dec and got email next day 29th.

Now ordered a 2nd item that arrived Thursday the 7th at addresspal hub and no update yet so seems it’s much slower now. Almost to the point it might as well get it delivered to home address directly from AMZ(if it ships to Ireland)

Signed up to free prime in AMZ Germany now and lead time to Ireland is about 10-11 days. Faster than using addresspal in UK but still so frustratingly slow. Really hope parcel motel come back with a solution to speed things up even for a cost

I ordered a small part from Amazon.de on the 6/1/21 and just got a text from An Post, today, sunday 10th that they should have it to me within three working days. Overall very promising.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

bdmc5 wrote: »

Getting anything from Amazon (or other UK sellers) via AddressPal is significantly more expensive than getting it direct now so I wouldn't consider going down that route unless it was for an item I really needed and couldn't get by any other means.

Also, I don't really see the point of signing up for Prime on Amazon DE or any other Amazon site as it doesn't reduce the postal rates to Ireland. Maybe it speeds up delivery a bit but I don't think that in itself would be worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭bdmc5

Quackster wrote: »
    Getting anything from Amazon (or other UK sellers) via AddressPal is significantly more expensive than getting it direct now so I wouldn't consider going down that route unless it was for an item I really needed and couldn't get by any other means.

Also, I don't really see the point of signing up for Prime on Amazon DE or any other Amazon site as it doesn't reduce the postal rates to Ireland. Maybe it speeds up delivery a bit but I don't think that in itself would be worth it.

Very true, i signed up to free prime on AMZ DE but still costing me 9e for shipping with its expensive.

I have a family member living in london, if i bought on AMZ UK and shipped to him (small package) and he then sent my royal mail to me here in cork(item value 70e) , would the extra charges to pay when i receive it or not as the VAT was already charged when i bought on AMZ UK?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 nevin97

Hi guys, I have an Addresspal parcel was arrived at ''London Heathrow Transit Hub'' on 17th December 2020 and no further tracking details after this. I am still waiting for it until today, it's been more than 3 weeks from 17th Dec. Is there anyone experiencing the same issue?

Also, is it a bit unusual for Addresspal parcel to be sorted in London Hub instead of the one in Hatfield?

Advertisement