Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AddressPal & Lockers - An Post's Parcel Service SEE MOD WARNING FIRST POST

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 6,857 ✭✭✭Spocker

The AddressPal thread is over here -> https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057516584

• Registered Users Posts: 10,079 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I ordered by way of Royal mail with tracking, signed by "XP1" at the Hatfield addresspal address last week (just some weird lines), yet nothing has shown on "delivery-events" on address pal website.

Ees normaal?

If they receive a parcel, shouldn't they notify you of such etc?

Anyone received a delivery from them recently?

Can take up to a week to be checked in. Happened me last month. Received by them on a Tuesday, didn't show on their system until the following Monday. I got it two days later.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭bo0li5eumx12kp

Caranica wrote: »
    Can take up to a week to be checked in. Happened me last month. Received by them on a Tuesday, didn't show on their system until the following Monday. I got it two days later.

Cheers - cause I was trying to call them but ATM no answer obviously due to level 5 I would think so, no panic for the time being at least.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭bo0li5eumx12kp

Spocker wrote: »

Cheers, it's buried deep in the heart of the consumer section, couldn't find it initially but I'll bookmark it for future reference.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Rewired

oisin097 wrote: »
    Anyone waiting on deliveries from AddressPal USA?

Had one package delivered to the hub on December 28th and another on December 30th, no update from either.
    Finally got an update on my US item received on the 27th yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

If you are ordering multiple items from the US be sure to tell the retailer not to split the order. The Yanks are such enthusiastic sellers they feel obliged to send half the order and the other half later. That's two Addresspal charges of course. Don't ask me how I know. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭All that fandango

Addresspal were due to try and process my card again today for postage payment ("there was an issue with your card, we will try again in 3 working days..."). Not a thing heard from them today, checked my account and my item is still sitting in the 'specials area' according to my account. Emailed AP again today and no response. Really annoying at this stage especially when theres nothing wrong with my card. I forgot to update my expired card details initially, I did it, and theres still an issue on APs side, effers.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Fwarder

Just got a message from an post...i ordered some 2nd hand tool that costs like like 20£ with shipping.

Of course, seller didn't include the receipt so An Post valued an item to be just over 150€ so that the both duty and vat and their fee can be charged :D

And there's no dispute link or anything. Just pay or don't pay (item goes back):/

Era of purchasing stuff from ebay is gone :(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Fwarder wrote: »
    Just got a message from an post...i ordered some 2nd hand tool that costs like like 20£ with shipping.

Of course, seller didn't include the receipt so An Post valued an item to be just over 150€ so that the both duty and vat and their fee can be charged :D

And there's no dispute link or anything. Just pay or don't pay (item goes back):/

Era of purchasing stuff from ebay is gone :(

They google it to find the closest they can. You'll probably find the new version or equivalent would cost the €150.00 shipped.

whiterebel wrote: »
    They google it to find the closest they can. You'll probably find the new version or equivalent would cost the €150.00 shipped.

Funny thing is that equivalent on amazon is 60£ :D

So I went 3 times back and forth with an post and customs and apparently you can't dispute the charge until you pay for it.

And then when you pay for it and postman delivers it to you then you have to say to postman that you refuse the delivery and that you want the reevaluation and it goes back to customs for reevaluation?!?!

Mother of god almighty if this is not a scam then I don't know what is.

Of course an post blames customs and customs blames an post because of the new system.

I think I'll have to get this in written from An Post otherwise I won't believe it myself :D

• Advertisement

Hi All,

does anyone know is it possible to dispute the customs fee (wrong item value declared by addresspal I guess) and how to go about it?

An Post and Customs say that the other one is in charge of that.

On An Posts T&Cs I only found this:
    "Once all required Customs Charges and other applicable fees are paid, An Post will deliver the item(s). Please note: An Post cannot release items until the Customs Charges and applicable fees are paid in full.
    You will be responsible for payment of the Customs Debt."

"An Post will be the point of contact for Customs Charges up until the moment the postal item(s) has been released to you. "

" If your claim is about overcharged Customs Charges because the declared value of the goods was incorrect, you will need to supply evidence, for example, an invoice, receipt of purchase etc, to support your claim." But I have no idea to whom should I supply evidence? :D

An Post Cust. Service on the last iteration did say to me to pay for the fees and then when the postman delivers it, to refuse the delivery and mention reevaluation of the item :/ ? However, I didn't find that info anywhere. Only "Pay" or "don't pay" options :D

I guess if there's no receipt when the item arrives to AddressPal, then AddressPal puts some random value :D

Mod - Please don't post across different threads. Merged in to the Addresspal thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

surely there should be an option to show proof of purchase and then charges are applied, that is how it has worked in the past for items from other non eu countries

The internet isn’t for everyone

OmegaGene wrote: »
    surely there should be an option to show proof of purchase and then charges are applied, that is how it has worked in the past for items from other non eu countries

In the email there was literally just a notification, explanation that UK stuff is being subject to VAT/duty and a link to pay.

You click on the link and you're greeted with the Customs charge invoice and "Pay Customs Charge" and "Choose not to pay Customs Charge"...Choose not to pay automatically invokes the "return to sender" :( No haggling here :confused: So I guess my only option is to pay and see how I can dispute it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭Masala

OmegaGene wrote: »

YA.... surely if you paid the UK ebayer by PayPal - you will have your own receipt that can be sent on to An Post as proof of payment. I cant see why they wont accept this rather than use Google etc.

Masala wrote: »
    YA.... surely if you paid the UK ebayer by PayPal - you will have your own receipt that can be sent on to An Post as proof of payment. I cant see why they wont accept this rather than use Google etc.

An Post says talk to customs, customs says talk to An Post :D That's the problem. Maybe AddressPal folks put a random value themselves on the parcel when shipping it across the Irish Sea :D Who knows :D

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭RCSATELLITES

So I ordered an item on the 27th of December 2020 from a UK online retailer. Uk was still part of EU. UK/EU vat was paid. Now as there was delays with covid and brexit the item arrived in ireland yesterday. Now charged customs (irish vat @ 21%) on the item.

Revenue says it's when the item arrives in ireland not when it was purchased.

How do I prove them wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Fwarder wrote: »
    In the email there was literally just a notification, explanation that UK stuff is being subject to VAT/duty and a link to pay.

You click on the link and you're greeted with the Customs charge invoice and "Pay Customs Charge" and "Choose not to pay Customs Charge"...Choose not to pay automatically invokes the "return to sender" :( No haggling here :confused: So I guess my only option is to pay and see how I can dispute it.

ring the feckers

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

You can't.
    It is when the item is imported into Ireland- not when you bought it.
    If the method/manner you choose to import it by was slow, its on you.

Also- VAT is imposed once the item reaches EUR22- customs does not apply until you hit EUR150 (note, this is incl. of shipping costs, its not the invoice value of the item).

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

So I ordered an item on the 27th of December 2020 from a UK online retailer. Uk was still part of EU. UK/EU vat was paid. Now as there was delays with covid and brexit the item arrived in ireland yesterday. Now charged customs (irish vat @ 21%) on the item.

Revenue says it's when the item arrives in ireland not when it was purchased.

Your only hope would be to get the order details from the shipper that shows the order date, and Paypal screenshot if payment taken in 2020? There was to be some leeway on ordering date v arrival date, but it seems very unworkable. They didn't say what proof they would accept.

You can't.
    It is when the item is imported into Ireland- not when you bought it.
    If the method/manner you choose to import it by was slow, its on you.

Also- VAT is imposed once the item reaches EUR22- customs does not apply until you hit EUR150 (note, this is incl. of shipping costs, its not the invoice value of the item).

Seems like the spokesperson for An Post didn't know that. See screenshot. You should not have to pay vat twice and in this instance there was no way around it.

• Advertisement

Your only hope would be to get the order details from the shipper that shows the order date, and Paypal screenshot if payment taken in 2020? There was to be some leeway on ordering date v arrival date, but it seems very unworkable. They didn't say what proof they would accept.

An post was able to get the price of the item so should of been a document with the item. But they didn't bother to look at the date.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Seems like the spokesperson for An Post didn't now that. See screenshot. You should not have to pay vat twice and in this instance there was no way around it.

The threshold for customs duties is EUR150- I have no idea where they pulled that EUR45 out of. VAT is a different kettle of fish- and applies when you hit the EUR22. If An Post have some arrangement to waive everything until you hit EUR45, so be it, however, its not the rules as it pertains to VAT and Customs duty on imports.

And also- I agree with you- it is completely counter intuitive that you pay VAT twice- and I'd also argue that the cost of delivery should not be a factor in the value you are charged VAT and Duty on either- however, it is. It is unfair.

And also- I agree with you- it is completely counter intuitive that you pay VAT twice- and I'd also argue that the cost of delivery should not be a factor in the value you are charged VAT and Duty on either- however, it is. It is unfair.

You have to pay the cost of transporting it to Ireland. It is the landed price, not from the Chinese/UK/US factory. Has been since Moses wore short pants.

Double VAT is going to be an issue until they know what there doing in the UK. I was in contact with a UK supplier and they said they had to charge VAT, then in the next line that weren't shipping to Ireland......

Question 7: You can’t always assume that customers will receive their goods by the expected date. What happens if goods are in transit on 1 January 2020?

Answer: Any EU-UK supplies made on or before 31 December will be treated as intra-EU supplies until 31 March 2021. Consequently, they will follow the current intra-EU supplies VAT and duty treatment. However, it is possible that some goods may be stopped at Customs until the supplier is able to demonstrate that the despatch of the goods took place before 1 January 2021

Found this for businesses.

Individuals being treated differently, why and how?

I've seen that before, do you have a link for it?

Just on a logistical level, companies may have orders months in advance, whereas most individuals are buying things that ship within a week or two. Most companies that import raw material will have a VAT Free authorisation on the import anyway, so it shouldn't make any difference in the great scheme of things.

The threshold for customs duties is EUR150- I have no idea where they pulled that EUR45 out of.

It says it is for a gift.

I've seen that before, do you have a link for it?

Just on a logistical level, companies may have orders months in advance, whereas most individuals are buying things that ship within a week or two. Most companies that import raw material will have a VAT Free authorisation on the import anyway, so it shouldn't make any difference in the great scheme of things.

https://www.accountancyeurope.eu/publications/vat-customs-duty-and-brexit-prepare-now/

That's the link there. Just checking all avenues, as Revenue do make mistakes. Have proved them wrong before with vrt and income tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 jackos2500

Seems I've made a big mistake reading the last few pages of this thread... Ordered the new Cambridge Audio Melomania Touch earbuds a few days before the new year (UK only pre-order at that stage, rest of the world "coming soon").

Delivered to Hatfield on Monday by DPD, still not a word from AddressPal... and now it looks like I'm going to be charged Irish VAT on top of UK?? Should have done my research I suppose.

To top it off, Cambridge Audio now have a very reasonably priced international option (I thought it was going to be ages before they'd be available!). AddressPal don't seem to be answering the phone, I'm guessing this is because of the lockdown? When (if?) they show up at AddressPal, I get the impression from reading the posts here that I can just refuse to accept the VAT / customs and they'll send it back - and then get a refund from Cambridge Audio?

jackos2500 wrote: »
    Seems I've made a big mistake reading the last few pages of this thread... Ordered the new Cambridge Audio Melomania Touch earbuds a few days before the new year (UK only pre-order at that stage, rest of the world "coming soon").

Delivered to Hatfield on Monday by DPD, still not a word from AddressPal... and now it looks like I'm going to be charged Irish VAT on top of UK?? Should have done my research I suppose.

To top it off, Cambridge Audio now have a very reasonably priced international option (I thought it was going to be ages before they'd be available!). AddressPal don't seem to be answering the phone, I'm guessing this is because of the lockdown? When (if?) they show up at AddressPal, I get the impression from reading the posts here that I can just refuse to accept the VAT / customs and they'll send it back - and then get a refund from Cambridge Audio?

AddressPal refused a parcel for me before due to size restrictions and it was given bacl to dpd and all went smoothly. What I am worried about is. When you get requested to pay the customs charges has it already arrived in Ireland? When refused An Post can charge you to send it back to sender. Then what if it goes missing. Then what if it takes over a month to get back to the seller. What are the returns policies for this item. 14 day cooling off period might not work due to delays. You could end up paying more or it could work out perfect. It's a risk I wouldn't be willing to take.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 jackos2500

Hmmmm... I'm not sure. I'll send them an email now I suppose to maybe preempt that. Cambridge Audio have an alleged "100 days money back guarantee", I've sent them an email to explain as their phone lines are also closed of course! Hopefully I can get something out of both of them and get (at least most of) my money back before I'm hit with VAT.

Advertisement