Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AddressPal & Lockers - An Post's Parcel Service SEE MOD WARNING FIRST POST

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

I just had a look on the CCPC website and they have a couple of emails that you can contact, there doesn't seem to be any phone number

https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/buying-of-goods-online-for-personal-use/how-to-claim-a-refund-of-customs-duty-and-value-added-tax-vat.aspx

That is what I was thinking basically the agent that collects the VAT for Revenue are the only people that can apply for a refund for you of VAT paid. Good luck trying to DPD , Fastway or An Post even to go through the hassle of reclaiming a few Euro VAT for you . You cant get hold of them with a delivery issue .

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Athasselabbey

Car99 wrote: »
    That is what I was thinking basically the agent that collects the VAT for Revenue are the only people that can apply for a refund for you of VAT paid. Good luck trying to DPD , Fastway or An Post even to go through the hassle of reclaiming a few Euro VAT for you . You cant get hold of them with a delivery issue .

I know, total disaster isn't it? They have us over a barrel!!!!

I know, total disaster isn't it? They have us over a barrel!!!!

I rang CCPC this morning, they said theres been no clarification from revenue with regards to vat and customs charges and they are due in the next few days to clarify everything,
    They also gave me the number of the European consumer centre in Dublin, which is 01 8797620, they can help apparently, if you have been charged uk vat by a company not registered in ireland, to claim that vat back (if you have also paid it here)
    I hope this helps, as there is so little information for us as consumers at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

So here's my experience of AP UK. I ordered 28/12 clothes costing £69.98, charged €77.92 on my bank card. They were delivered to AP on 5/1/21. Got notified yesterday they had been received in AP and then late yesterday evening I got notified that there was a customs charge to be paid. Went into that and they have valued the goods at €133.28 and applied VAT plus their handling charge so I owed €32.84. I've no idea where they got the pricing for the goods, I know the site I bought from includes a shipping document with the sterling prices on it so assuming they opened it to assess the value I'd have thought they'd just take those prices and convert but they've essentially €55 onto the cost of the items and then charged me VAT based on that. A quick calculation puts the actual VAT I should have paid at €17ish.

I'm not bothered going appealing for the sake of less than €20 but I'm more annoyed about that site now being essentially useless to me now as I'll never know what random value AP will put on the items. The UK site has also suspended shipments outside the UK as well so no option to just have stuff shipped directly with a customs declaration. I'm hoping that is what they are working on at the moment and in a few weeks that option is available.

Who'd have thought Brexit would be such a disaster :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I don't think its too difficult to get your refund. There is email links on the revenue site. I think they want the invoice and copy of your Paypal/bank statement. The more do this, the more pressure on Addresspal to do it right. They usually do it correctly from the US, its not difficult.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

whiterebel wrote: »
    I don't think its too difficult to get your refund. There is email links on the revenue site. I think they want the invoice and copy of your Paypal/bank statement. The more do this, the more pressure on Addresspal to do it right. They usually do it correctly from the US, its not difficult.

Went through the links posted earlier in the thread and its not overly clear what I need to do. Gives 3 emails to contact but i haven't received my parcel yet and I don't know which mail centre it came through so I presume I'll have to wait until it arrives before I can do anything. I'll try appeal it and see how it goes, will update here.

So here's my experience of AP UK. I ordered 28/12 clothes costing £69.98, charged €77.92 on my bank card. They were delivered to AP on 5/1/21. Got notified yesterday they had been received in AP and then late yesterday evening I got notified that there was a customs charge to be paid. Went into that and they have valued the goods at €133.28 and applied VAT plus their handling charge so I owed €32.84. I've no idea where they got the pricing for the goods, I know the site I bought from includes a shipping document with the sterling prices on it so assuming they opened it to assess the value I'd have thought they'd just take those prices and convert but they've essentially €55 onto the cost of the items and then charged me VAT based on that. A quick calculation puts the actual VAT I should have paid at €17ish.

I'm not bothered going appealing for the sake of less than €20 but I'm more annoyed about that site now being essentially useless to me now as I'll never know what random value AP will put on the items. The UK site has also suspended shipments outside the UK as well so no option to just have stuff shipped directly with a customs declaration. I'm hoping that is what they are working on at the moment and in a few weeks that option is available.

Who'd have thought Brexit would be such a disaster :D

I know, it's really sickening isn't it? We don't really have many other eu retailers, the uk was brilliant and so competitive price wise, it's awful, if you do want to try and get that money back you can email an post customs at: ecommchargequery@anpost.ie
    Apparently they can help........

• Registered Users Posts: 41 mr_jackapple

Went through the links posted earlier in the thread and its not overly clear what I need to do. Gives 3 emails to contact but i haven't received my parcel yet and I don't know which mail centre it came through so I presume I'll have to wait until it arrives before I can do anything. I'll try appeal it and see how it goes, will update here.

This is becoming a horrible trend and hopefully something will be done so they can calculate the value more accurately.

I had a package delivered to AP on 06/01 and still waiting for any confirmation from AnPost that they have it. God knows what they’ll value the contents at. I’d say I’ll be in the same boat. Let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭TimHorton

This is becoming a horrible trend and hopefully something will be done so they can calculate the value more accurately.

I had a package delivered to AP on 06/01 and still waiting for any confirmation from AnPost that they have it. God knows what they’ll value the contents at. I’d say I’ll be in the same boat. Let us know how you get on.

AP UK declared my goods that I paid £97.80 for to be valued at £14.98 so it can work the other way.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,792 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Just tuned into this thread as I'm waiting on my first addresspal delivery since Brexit. I ordered it on 22/12/20, but I don't think the company shipped it until January. Address pal received it in the UK on 05/01/21 and then it arrived in Ireland on the 9th from what I can see. It's been at the D12 sorting office since and I've just seen all this crap about them making up their own prices to apply VAT on :confused: Surely they need to just go by the invoice or request a copy of the invoice and apply vat on that as opposed to just making up their own prices?

Also, would anyone know, this particular order is made up mostly of whole foods and I believe these are VAT exempt and the value of items with VAT on them (still food, but processed/packeted) is only around €20. So should I be hit with any VAT at all I wonder?

Any feedback would be appreciated :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,219 ✭✭✭corkie

^^^ As they are food items, probably won't have proper paperwork as ship via AP?

https://www.fsai.ie/food_businesses/brexit/imports.html

They may end up been rejected and sent back/destroyed?

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

corkie wrote: »
    ^^^ As they are food items, probably won't have proper paperwork as ship via AP?

I have numerous food ingredients, and cases of biscuits, cleared and currently sitting in Heathrow.

I suspect they are taking a light approach to insisting on CN22/CN23 documentation.........

• Registered Users Posts: 14 jpsmith16

AmyMay wrote: »
    Let us know if they get to you. There seemed to be a lot of people caught up in that one and looked awful on them!

Just to update, got delivered to me today and seem intact...

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Moviehost

For anyone who's been waiting for items received into Heathrow around the 16,17th just got mine today no additional customs charges so although had to wait happy to not have extras to pay

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Some of you may have seen that I'm still waiting on a package from November in the UK.

Finally got a "useful" email response today. It seems my package only had a partial AP number on it (despite my best efforts, and double checking the "ship to" information).
    All unclaimed or unidentified parcels were shipped to Ireland before Brexit in order to avoid customers being charged customs fees which are now in place. Our teams are making efforts to identify the correct AddressPal accounts for these parcels. Please bear with us while your item is located and dispatched to you.

So it looks like they bundled up everything that couldn't be easily identified, and packed it off to Ireland to sort through later.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 AmyMay

Thoie wrote: »
    Some of you may have seen that I'm still waiting on a package from November in the UK.

Finally got a "useful" email response today. It seems my package only had a partial AP number on it (despite my best efforts, and double checking the "ship to" information).

So it looks like they bundled up everything that couldn't be easily identified, and packed it off to Ireland to sort through later.

This gives me some hope! Thank you.
    What depot was your parcel? I assume it was placed under your home address/delivery AP number?

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭ClarkyTrd

Got an email from An Post yesterday 12/1/20, saying my item has arrived into Ireland and had to pay the customs charge of €13.19.

How long after paying the fee does it take to deliver, as the tracking details still say its in Heathrow!?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭5star02707

Thoie wrote: »

Are they'll all in Dublin? The ones before new year I mean. Any idea til when? Mine is still there mixed up but no update 2 weeks now

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭phunkadelic

Bought an item for £53, which worked out at €59. An post valued it at €95, slapped vat of €19 plus fee of 3.50 on me.

Was someone saying items valued that low shouldn't have customs or vat charged?

Won't be using addresspal again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭5star02707

Bought an item for £53, which worked out at €59. An post valued it at €95, slapped vat of €19 plus fee of 3.50 on me.

Over 22 euro you'll be charged with vat only
    Above 150 you'll get charge vat and customs

• Advertisement

5star02707 wrote: »
    Over 22 euro you'll be charged with vat only
    Above 150 you'll get charge vat and customs

what are the customs rates ?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

TimHorton wrote: »

It’s Duty and you can find them here, under the Taric https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055862554

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

It depends on what it is and where it was produced.

Anything made in the UK is duty free
    If not made in the UK - then duty might apply to certain products.
    Lots of computer type stuff is 0%
    Most clothes 12%

Better explanation here -
    https://www.moneyguideireland.com/irish-customs-duty-on-uk-online-purchases.html

They did something similar to me, so I've disputed the customs charge, I had to email, ecommchargequery@anpost.ie
    I just did it today, I'm sure Il be left waiting, but the more of us do it, the better, they might actually cop on

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

This is getting pretty ridiculous at this stage.

Hopefully someone like Conor Pope will pick up on it and go after An Post as to why their agents are pulling valuations out of their arses.

Quackster wrote: »
    This is getting pretty ridiculous at this stage.

Hopefully someone like Conor Pope will pick up on it and go after An Post as to why their agents are pulling valuations out of their arses.

What are they supposed to do ,The FAQ says

"An invoice must be included for customs. You can request this from the retailer/seller by adding a note when completing your purchase"

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

What are they supposed to do ,The FAQ says

"An invoice must be included for customs. You can request this from the retailer/seller by adding a note when completing your purchase"
    AFAIK, this has never been an issue with the US AddressPal service.

If nothing on the outside of the package, AddressPal open it up and see if there's an invoice inside. If nothing there, they email you to send them on the invoice.

A bit more logical than just sticking random valuations on the customs forms, which effectively amounts to lying to customs.

Quackster wrote: »
    AFAIK, this has never been an issue with the US AddressPal service.

If nothing on the outside of the package, AddressPal open it up and see if there's an invoice inside. If nothing there, they email you to send them on the invoice.

A bit more logical than just sticking random valuations on the customs forms, which effectively amounts to lying to customs.

Hope that's the case in the US, I have a $400 package waiting to be processed probably without an invoice. On the site where I bought it, It's now back up to $700.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,792 ✭✭✭✭cormie

corkie wrote: »

Thanks for the reply! That's nuts if that's the case, where's the sense behind that? So ordering food items through AP (or possibly even direct from UK?) runs the risk that it won't be accepted :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭RCSATELLITES

Once you get the tracking number you will see what mail centre claimed the vat and charges.

Advertisement