Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AddressPal & Lockers - An Post's Parcel Service SEE MOD WARNING FIRST POST

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 nevin97

jpsmith16 wrote: »
    From talking to an AddressPal rep just now there is an investigation ongoing within AnPost around multiple deliveries scanned through Heathrow on 16th / 17th Dec, but with no further scans. I know there was a backlog, but if people are now starting to get deliveries into UK hub late last week and have them delivered today, not sure what's going on with these...:mad:
    Phoned Addresspal this morning, the receptionist told me that she would pass my parcel details to the staff in UK hub, that should take 24-48 hours for an email reply.

Just hope they will reply my enquiry...........

• Registered Users Posts: 38 AmyMay

5star02707 wrote: »
    Still on the lookout for my Parcel (Dec.30) delivered to Hatfield, no signs of it still i hope it appears on my account soon

Still missing my pre-Christmas Hatfield items also. I even got on to customer services of AirBusiness (Hatfield) who apparently forwarded my email to relevant people but nothing back since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Anyone any experience of how long it takes addresspal USA to process an item once a courier says it has been delivered to Addresspal USA in New Jersey?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭TimHorton

Car99 wrote: »
    Anyone any experience of how long it takes addresspal USA to process an item once a courier says it has been delivered to Addresspal USA in New Jersey?

I asked this question yesterday , See previous page , 8 days just to show up on Addresspal site.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I just got a custom charges notice from AddressPal for a parcel delivered to their UK service.

The item I bought cost 22.00 euro inc delivery to AP. Then they added their delivery charge to that which made it 28.50. I was then charged VAT on the 28.50 and a handling charge of 3.50 bringing my import charges to 9.50.

I had not realised that the AP charge would be added to my total to assess need to pay VAT and push my item into territory that would attract VAT.

Worth bearing in mind for anyone buying a small thing and sending it there. I'm now going to be paying nearly 50% of the original price in import charges!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 bazg777

I have an Amazon package delivered to UK hub last Tuesday.
    Just got charged €6.50 and got notice that it will be delivered in 3 to 4 working days.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭1dave123

@bazg777 Out of interest, Did AP contact u at any point to establish the amount u paid for the item? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4 bazg777

1dave123 wrote: »
    @bazg777 Out of interest, Did AP contact u at any point to establish the amount u paid for the item? Thanks
    @1dave123 no contact at all other than what I mentioned above.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

I just got a custom charges notice from AddressPal for a parcel delivered to their UK service.

The item I bought cost 22.00 euro inc delivery to AP. Then they added their delivery charge to that which made it 28.50. I was then charged VAT on the 28.50 and a handling charge of 3.50 bringing my import charges to 9.50.

I had not realised that the AP charge would be added to my total to assess need to pay VAT and push my item into territory that would attract VAT.

Worth bearing in mind for anyone buying a small thing and sending it there. I'm now going to be paying nearly 50% of the original price in import charges!
    21% VAT on €28.50 is €5.99. Revenue explicitly state that they don't collect import VAT where it is less than €6 (this will change on July 1st) so I'd be taking that up with AddressPal.

If you're just approximating the € price and it was actually a little over €22, that's unfortunate, but the vatable amount includes postage to Ireland so it's correct that the AddressPal charge would be included (although I would have thought that that €6.50 fee was already VAT-inclusive).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Quackster wrote: »
    21% VAT on €28.50 is €5.99. Revenue explicitly state that they don't collect import VAT where it is less than €6 (this will change on July 1st) so I'd be taking that up with AddressPal.

If you're just approximating the € price and it was actually a little over €22, that's unfortunate, but the vatable amount includes postage to Ireland so it's correct that the AddressPal charge would be included (although I would have thought that that €6.50 fee was already VAT-inclusive).

Well that is interesting!
    My VAT is exactly 5.99!

Typically I have paid as this is a healthcare item that I need for a family member, but I will certainly take it up with them now. It's also something I need to buy every month. Thank you!!

Import Duty:€ 0.00
    Excise Duty:€ 0.00

VAT:€ 5.99

An Post Fee:€ 3.50

€ 9.49
    12/01/2021

• Advertisement

Well that is interesting!
    My VAT is exactly 5.99!

Typically I have paid as this is a healthcare item that I need for a family member, but I will certainly take it up with them now. It's also something I need to buy every month. Thank you!!

Import Duty:€ 0.00
    Excise Duty:€ 0.00

VAT:€ 5.99

An Post Fee:€ 3.50

€ 9.49
    12/01/2021
    https://www.revenue.ie/en/customs-traders-and-agents/documents/guide-to-importing-goods-through-the-post.pdf

Bottom of page 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Athasselabbey

Me too, ordered clothes and total came to €147 which was their calculation by the way and then they did the same thing, so I was charged vat AND CUSTOMS, total was €65.50 - it's horrendous

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Me too, ordered clothes and total came to €147 which was their calculation by the way and then they did the same thing, so I was charged vat AND CUSTOMS, total was €65.50 - it's horrendous

You have to be very judicious with what you buy and have a strict limit on what you're willing to pay, if you're to avoid customs......... My limit for both the US and the UK is EUR99 per item, come hell or high water. The feckers in the US- combined two purchases in the one shipment, and I ended up with a VAT and Customs charge of EUR144.........

Its a hell of a mess.

You've definitely been screwed.

Customs duty is only due if the intrinsic value of the goods is over €150. Postage & insurance costs do NOT count towards this €150 threshold. Again, see page 7 of the PDF I linked to above.

You should only have been charged 21% VAT on the value of the goods and postage (including €6.50 AddressPal fee) + €3.50 AddressPal customs admin fee.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭bo0li5eumx12kp

10 days since tracking marked my package as being received, still no website update.

Rang addresspal today, after about 10 minutes of elevator music, some british gal answered, took my details, AP number, tracking number, and said they'll return contact in 48 hours.

In the mean time regular parcels have come from the UK with no issue in 3 or 4 days.

I don't mind the wait, I just want some assurance they actually have received it at the Hatfield address and intend to serve it up to me here in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

That's harsh.

I thought a postal charge would be VAT free to you. However, I am not sure if Address Pal is covered by the Postal Warrant that makes the VAT rate 0% /VAT free. If its not, I would assume it already includes VAT.
    Air Business, the An Post subsidiary company is a UK company so this is very complex.

10 days since tracking marked my package as being received, still no website update.

Rang addresspal today, after about 10 minutes of elevator music, some british gal answered, took my details, AP number, tracking number, and said they'll return contact in 48 hours.

In the mean time regular parcels have come from the UK with no issue in 3 or 4 days.

I don't mind the wait, I just want some assurance they actually have received it at the Hatfield address and intend to serve it up to me here in Ireland.

It’s been a month since they got mine, just a heads up.... Hatfield seems the prominent depot for things going awol other than the issues in the London depot from the 16th/17th December

• Registered Users Posts: 14 jpsmith16

AmyMay wrote: »
    It’s been a month since they got mine, just a heads up.... Hatfield seems the prominent depot for things going awol other than the issues in the London depot from the 16th/17th December

I called AddressPal again today to see if they had any further update on my parcels. Nothing new on the call but then this evening they were scanned into Dublin Hub. So hopefully the 16/17th Dec parcel issues are getting resolved now

TimHorton wrote: »
    Looks like it will be an extra 60 euro if they use the 699 , No big deal as that kit would cost more than €1500 here .

It's a good deal, back up to $699 now and still not a bad price.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 nevin97

nevin97 wrote: »
    Hi guys, I have an Addresspal parcel was arrived at ''London Heathrow Transit Hub'' on 17th December 2020 and no further tracking details after this. I am still waiting for it until today, it's been more than 3 weeks from 17th Dec. Is there anyone experiencing the same issue?

Also, is it a bit unusual for Addresspal parcel to be sorted in London Hub instead of the one in Hatfield?
    Finally got an automatic text message from An Post this evening, my parcel was scanned in Parcel Hub, Dublin 12 and is due for delivery in up to 3 working days. Nearly 4 weeks time from a small parcel......

• Advertisement

jpsmith16 wrote: »
    I called AddressPal again today to see if they had any further update on my parcels. Nothing new on the call but then this evening they were scanned into Dublin Hub. So hopefully the 16/17th Dec parcel issues are getting resolved now

Let us know if they get to you. There seemed to be a lot of people caught up in that one and looked awful on them!

I had a parcel delivered to Addresspal USA New Jersey today anyone recent experience of how long NJ Addresspal take to process an item so I get a tracking number.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Niki008

I don't know when it was changed, or it mistake or what, but on anpost website, customs section said that

"A fee of 1% of the value of the packet or parcel, with a maximum charge of €10". Before that was "minimum of 10". Hopefully this is the end of this scary charge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭TimHorton

I had a parcel delivered to Addresspal USA New Jersey today anyone recent experience of how long NJ Addresspal take to process an item so I get a tracking number.

8 Days to just show up on AddressPal site This is the 3rd time in 2 days this question has been asked , Check the last page or 2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

Niki008 wrote: »
    I don't know when it was changed, or it mistake or what, but on anpost website, customs section said that

"A fee of 1% of the value of the packet or parcel, with a maximum charge of €10". Before that was "minimum of 10". Hopefully this is the end of this scary charge

I wonder why? https://www.anpost.com/customs

Will the others cut their fees too ?
    Fedex is minimum 15 and DHL is minimum 14.50
    Any one know what DPD charge ?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Ogham wrote: »
    I wonder why? https://www.anpost.com/customs

Will the others cut their fees too ?
    Fedex is minimum 15 and DHL is minimum 14.50
    Any one know what DPD charge ?

€5 by DHL yesterday from the UK. Very surprised because there is the same work doing the customs entry etc. DPD haven’t normally done customs clearance, which looks like why they are goosed from the UK at the moment.

Quackster wrote: »
    You've definitely been screwed.

Customs duty is only due if the intrinsic value of the goods is over €150. Postage & insurance costs do NOT count towards this €150 threshold. Again, see page 7 of the PDF I linked to above.

You should only have been charged 21% VAT on the value of the goods and postage (including €6.50 AddressPal fee) + €3.50 AddressPal customs admin fee.

I believe I have, and I did call addresspal to ask about customs charges and vat too, but they didn't have any information or they couldn't give me any contact details, it's very strange, and it seems to me they're slapping on any old vat and customs charge they want and there's no where to go for clarification or for a refund

I believe I have, and I did call addresspal to ask about customs charges and vat too, but they didn't have any information or they couldn't give me any contact details, it's very strange, and it seems to me they're slapping on any old vat and customs charge they want and there's no where to go for clarification or for a refund

I guess you could appeal to revenue , that's what it's there for.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/customs-traders-and-agents/customs-appeals/index.aspx

The UK has a form BOR286 for appeal of VAT on postal items . Do Irish Revenue have a similar form apart from the link I posted above? I think the link above may only be for agents or traders to appeal though. They only had about 3 years to prepare for it.

I guess you could appeal to revenue , that's what it's there for.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/customs-traders-and-agents/customs-appeals/index.aspx

The UK has a form BOR286 for appeal of VAT on postal items . Do Irish Revenue have a similar form apart from the link I posted above? I think the link above may only be for agents or traders to appeal though. They only had about 3 years to prepare for it.

I just had a look on the CCPC website and they have a couple of emails that you can contact, there doesn't seem to be any phone number

https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/buying-of-goods-online-for-personal-use/how-to-claim-a-refund-of-customs-duty-and-value-added-tax-vat.aspx

• Advertisement

Do addresspal deliveries from the USA incur a €10 An post handling fee? Or is it €3.50 since Jan 2021?

Advertisement