Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AddressPal & Lockers - An Post's Parcel Service SEE MOD WARNING FIRST POST

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

bdmc5 wrote: »
    Very true, i signed up to free prime on AMZ DE but still costing me 9e for shipping with its expensive.

I have a family member living in london, if i bought on AMZ UK and shipped to him (small package) and he then sent my royal mail to me here in cork(item value 70e) , would the extra charges to pay when i receive it or not as the VAT was already charged when i bought on AMZ UK?
    That'd work for the occasional package up to €45 in value (including postage to Ireland) as he could send it to you as a gift and benefit from gift exemption but Irish VAT would apply over that value (unless he was based in NI and forwarding it on to you from there - although that technically would be smuggling), even though UK VAT may have already been paid.

No other way around getting hit with both UK and Irish VAT unless the UK retailer will ship directly to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 AmyMay

nevin97 wrote: »
    Hi guys, I have an Addresspal parcel was arrived at ''London Heathrow Transit Hub'' on 17th December 2020 and no further tracking details after this. I am still waiting for it until today, it's been more than 3 weeks from 17th Dec. Is there anyone experiencing the same issue?

Also, is it a bit unusual for Addresspal parcel to be sorted in London Hub instead of the one in Hatfield?

Mine gone from Hatfield start of Dec but no tracking on them as they were PO pickup. I've some posts a bit back on this thread. I need to ring them again tomorrow as no real update yet.
    All post received in UK depots before 31/12/20 is currently being sorted in Ireland apparently, a few people in this boat. Hopefully they are just in a container someplace.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 jpsmith16

nevin97 wrote: »
    Hi guys, I have an Addresspal parcel was arrived at ''London Heathrow Transit Hub'' on 17th December 2020 and no further tracking details after this. I am still waiting for it until today, it's been more than 3 weeks from 17th Dec. Is there anyone experiencing the same issue?

Also, is it a bit unusual for Addresspal parcel to be sorted in London Hub instead of the one in Hatfield?

Am in the same situation as are a few others from what I can see on Twitter etc. AddressPal say all items pre 31/12/20 were moved to Ireland, but contacting AnPost for an update has been useless as they say they can do nothing until scanned in Ireland, and then re-direct me back to AddressPal!

Seems from talking to one of the AP agents on phone that they’ve had a lot of calls about parcels that have been scanned at Heathrow on 16th & 17th Dec, but no scans since. They said that their management is looking into it, but not getting much more besides this, which is not filling me with much confidence...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TimHorton

Mod - <Snip> Read the 1st post in this thread and the forum charter.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

An Post open every item in the US. It's likely they'll reject it, they don't handle Hazmat.

If they did allow it it will be at least €90 in charges. Probably slightly more.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    An Post open every item in the US. It's likely they'll reject it, they don't handle Hazmat.

If they did allow it it will be at least €90 in charges. Probably slightly more.

Feck , Hope it gets through , It was a mis price on Home Depot Site, listed at 399 should have been 699..

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M18-FUEL-18-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Brushless-Cordless-Hammer-Drill-and-Impact-Driver-Combo-Kit-2-Tool-w-Framing-Nailer-2997-22-2744-20/314961705?cm_mmc=ecc-_-THD_SHIP_CONFIRMATION-_-V1_M1_CA-_-Product_URL&ecc_ord=WJ27423572

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭paddy19

Tried a test run from a private seller on eBay UK.
    No label on outside saying contents, just name APW and address.

Got message on Friday with tracking number.

11 January 2021 08:05 We delivered your post .....
    11 January 2021 06:22 Your post is out for delivery ...
    08 January 2021 16:56 Your delivery has been sorted in DUBLIN PARCEL HUB, DUBLIN 12
    08 January 2021 16:49 We have your post in DUBLIN PARCEL HUB, DUBLIN 12
    07 January 2021 09:06 We have your post in LONDON, HEATHROW TRANSIT HUB

Delivered this morning.
    CN23 created by Air Business/An Post with declared value with my address and via express post.

Looks like they opened it and assigned a reasonable value to it.
    Under €22 in total so no VAT.

Charged €6.50.

I'm impressed, opening, labelling and delivering for €6.50.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Doomofman

So how does the VAT/Duty collection work with An Post these days?

Waiting on something shipped from the UK that is now in An Posts tracking system (sorted in Dublin) will the tracking update to tell me I need to pay the fees or will the An Posts delivery guy just show up and I give him the fees?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Doomofman wrote: »
    So how does the VAT/Duty collection work with An Post these days?

Waiting on something shipped from the UK that is now in An Posts tracking system (sorted in Dublin) will the tracking update to tell me I need to pay the fees or will the An Posts delivery guy just show up and I give him the fees?

https://www.anpost.com/customs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭bungaro79

That's crazy, I am amazed at that. Now I do know that Amazon never has an invoice in the box of items purchased so someone did a very bad guess.

Now what you can do is contact the Customs queries helpline on 01-7383685 and I think press 7 in your case.

My wife rang them today and they answered straight away.

Let us know how you get on.

Thanks for the phone number, they were very informative in fairness. I pressed 6 and spoke to a really helpful person who said to email ecommchargequery@anpost.ie with the details of my issue so I am waiting for them to come back to me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Doomofman

whiterebel wrote: »

So it is 'pay the guy at the door' but I won't know how much I owe til he shows up?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,284 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

So it is 'pay the guy at the door' but I won't know how much I owe til he shows up?

some postmen won't accept cash at the door. I know mine refuses to do so.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

They'll advise you in advance apparently. No more cash at the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Does anyone know if Irish vat will be applied to books bought off Amazon. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,235 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

recipio wrote: »
    i just sent this question to book Depository,i take it customs will apply as posted from UK, like to know from Amazon too.

recipio wrote: »
    Printed books are zero-rated for VAT here.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 jpsmith16

jpsmith16 wrote: »
    Am in the same situation as are a few others from what I can see on Twitter etc. AddressPal say all items pre 31/12/20 were moved to Ireland, but contacting AnPost for an update has been useless as they say they can do nothing until scanned in Ireland, and then re-direct me back to AddressPal!

Seems from talking to one of the AP agents on phone that they’ve had a lot of calls about parcels that have been scanned at Heathrow on 16th & 17th Dec, but no scans since. They said that their management is looking into it, but not getting much more besides this, which is not filling me with much confidence...

From talking to an AddressPal rep just now there is an investigation ongoing within AnPost around multiple deliveries scanned through Heathrow on 16th / 17th Dec, but with no further scans. I know there was a backlog, but if people are now starting to get deliveries into UK hub late last week and have them delivered today, not sure what's going on with these...:mad:

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    i just sent this question to book Depository,i take it customs will apply as posted from UK, like to know from Amazon too.
    Zero-rated for VAT so no customs charges apply, regardless of what country books are posted here from.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭tiegan

No, no paying at the door. They will not deliver until you have paid online or in the post office. They contacted me by both text and email. I had to pay VAT and 3.50 admin fee. I paid these immediately online (yesterday) and item was delivered this morning.
    I presume that if you don't need to pay VAT then they will just deliver as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

paddy19 wrote: »
    Tried a test run from a private seller on eBay UK.
    No label on outside saying contents, just name APW and address.

Got message on Friday with tracking number.

11 January 2021 08:05 We delivered your post .....
    11 January 2021 06:22 Your post is out for delivery ...
    08 January 2021 16:56 Your delivery has been sorted in DUBLIN PARCEL HUB, DUBLIN 12
    08 January 2021 16:49 We have your post in DUBLIN PARCEL HUB, DUBLIN 12
    07 January 2021 09:06 We have your post in LONDON, HEATHROW TRANSIT HUB

Delivered this morning.
    CN23 created by Air Business/An Post with declared value with my address and via express post.

Looks like they opened it and assigned a reasonable value to it.
    Under €22 in total so no VAT.

Charged €6.50.

I'm impressed, opening, labelling and delivering for €6.50.

The moral appears to be don't order sex toys :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I feel like I've been mean to An Post- just got 3 messages from them this afternoon- 1 from the US and 2 from the UK- for all the o/s items they have.
    I think the ukulele and the laptop are going to be New Jersey for another while yet- but they're only charging me EUR6 to deliver 14kg of ingredients from the UK (whenever they actually deliver them)- and they're showing up as being in Heathrow right now.

So- you win some, you loose some. I paid way over the odds for VAT and customs on some stuff from the US- and nothing at all from stuff from the UK- when I thought it would reasonably be the other way around.

Now to play I-spy with the tracking information for the next few days..........

I feel like I've been mean to An Post- just got 3 messages from them this afternoon- 1 from the US and 2 from the UK- for all the o/s items they have.
    I think the ukulele and the laptop are going to be New Jersey for another while yet- but they're only charging me EUR6 to deliver 14kg of ingredients from the UK (whenever they actually deliver them)- and they're showing up as being in Heathrow right now.

So- you win some, you loose some. I paid way over the odds for VAT and customs on some stuff from the US- and nothing at all from stuff from the UK- when I thought it would reasonably be the other way around.

Now to play I-spy with the tracking information for the next few days..........

How long after delivery in the US Hub did it take for AddressPal to register,

TimHorton wrote: »
    How long after delivery in the US Hub did it take for AddressPal to register,

8 days.

Can't imagine that they would reject it- however, unless there is a detailed invoice with it, they'll probably hop onto Homedepot's website and 20% of $700 + Customs, could be pricey..........

• Registered Users Posts: 16 jackos2500

Well my earbuds arrived to my door today. Over the weekend I got an email about customs and just decided to pay, since they undervalued them! (priced as the previous generation Melomania 1's).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭5star02707

Still on the lookout for my Parcel (Dec.30) delivered to Hatfield, no signs of it still i hope it appears on my account soon

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭ClarkyTrd

I got an email from An Post today saying they received it in Heathrow and would be delivered within 4 days.
    It was delivered to my UK address last Monday, so 1 week ago.
    Fingers crossed now!!

Can't imagine that they would reject it- however, unless there is a detailed invoice with it, they'll probably hop onto Homedepot's website and 20% of $700 + Customs, could be pricey..........

Looks like it will be an extra 60 euro if they use the 699 , No big deal as that kit would cost more than €1500 here .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭paddy19

Looks like it will be an extra 60 euro if they use the 699 , No big deal as that kit would cost more than €1500 here .

If you can produce a valid invoice/PayPal payment for $399 then that's the basis on which they should calculate the VAT and/or duty.

Worst case you can appeal it....no way would I gave the Revenue €60...

Advertisement