Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AddressPal & Lockers - An Post's Parcel Service SEE MOD WARNING FIRST POST

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 kogrady

5star02707 wrote: »
    Did it atleast appear in your AP account or no? Have no idea how long it will take them to charge us

No it still hasn’t gone on my account or been processed or charged and that was from 24th December receipt there in warehouse
    I imagine they are just working through the back log so just doing it crate by crate in no particular order

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

kogrady wrote: »
    I would imagine for UK it’s €6.50 plus the €3.50 when they need to get contents and value and they complete the customs declaration
    Then it will go to Ireland customs who calculate it and an post will then add their €10 onto customs to collect it

So it looks like they’ve also added the €3.50 for doing this with US items too

So, getting a parcel from the UK is going to be 6.50 + 3.50 + 10 euro + any customs and Vat if applied..? That's two processing fees one in the UK and one in Ireland. How can they possibly justify that.?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 AmyMay

recipio wrote: »
    So, getting a parcel from the UK is going to be 6.50 + 3.50 + 10 euro + any customs and Vat if applied..? That's two processing fees one in the UK and one in Ireland. How can they possibly justify that.?

Ordering from the UK will be more hassle than it's worth. I've received multiple parcels from the US and AUS both with UPS and An Post and you do end up paying a huge amount. You need to be aware of this before you order, and decide if it is worth the cost. I had a few parcels that never got done for customs but that was five or six years ago now. They will just keep tacking on 'handling fees/charges' to cover paperwork and justify it that way, this is nothing new for non EU parcels.... hidden charges with all courier services.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

One is to actually move it, space on planes isn't free. The €10 is to do the customs entry and lay out the VAT, find someone who'll do it for less......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I think you're doubling it. For something coming through AddressPal UK, it will be €6.50 (AddressPal Fee) + €3.50 (customs clearance) + whatever duty/VAT is due.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

AmyMay wrote: »
    Ordering from the UK will be more hassle than it's worth. I've received multiple parcels from the US and AUS both with UPS and An Post and you do end up paying a huge amount. You need to be aware of this before you order, and decide if it is worth the cost. I had a few parcels that never got done for customs but that was five or six years ago now. They will just keep tacking on 'handling fees/charges' to cover paperwork and justify it that way, this is nothing new for non EU parcels.... hidden charges with all courier services.

What hidden charges? They all lay out their charges in great detail.

whiterebel wrote: »
    What hidden charges? They all lay out their charges in great detail.

I definitely got a courier parcel in the past where I wasn't expecting one part of the fee, although anticipated all the others, admittedly it was probably an online order and I'd no idea who the courier would be anyway until it was mailed out. The dangers of online shopping. Agreed though that An Post themselves do have fees listed online.

I definitely got a courier parcel in the past where I wasn't expecting one part of the fee, although anticipated all the others, admittedly it was probably an online order and I'd no idea who the courier would be anyway until it was mailed out. The dangers of online shopping. Agreed though that An Post themselves do have fees listed online.

As do DHL, FedEx etc. Big difference between saying they have hidden charges, and you not expecting a charge?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

whiterebel wrote: »
    As do DHL, FedEx etc. Big difference between saying they have hidden charges, and you not expecting a charge?

I think it's more the point of not knowing what the charges are going to be until they turn up at your door. I remember ordering things from the US in the past, and the fees having a pretty wide range, depending on who the couriers were. I remember ordering two similar things of similar value, one was about £20 extra when it arrived (yes, pounds, it's that long ago), and got hit with a bill for over £60 for the other due to being delivered by a different company. At least with AddressPal you know what those fees are up front.

There is a sticky thread in the Online buying & Auctions thread, which is the parent forum for this. It lays out how to calculate VAT and duty, and lays out what you can expect in charges. As I said, all the couriers lay out there charges, having seen the evidence on our own forum, people don't read them. Buying from outside the EU is a minefield if you don't do some homework on it in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭wozniattack

Has anyone ever had An Post/Addresspal email them to say there is an issue with their card? My order arrived into their US hub on the 28th , Addresspal couldnt process my card for the postage and to check my card details were correct and that they would attempt again in a couple days. Everything is fine with my card. Just after getting the same email from them again. Using my card to buy online and withdraw at atms theres no issues there. Whats the best way to contact them on this?

I had that on the 30th, the item was moved to the Specials area.

Same day another payment went through fine.
    Three went through fine on the 31st.

The first is still in the specials area.

I called them, and she said she's making a ticket for the Depot to try again.

I'd recommend calling them.

Thoie wrote: »
    I think you're doubling it. For something coming through AddressPal UK, it will be €6.50 (AddressPal Fee) + €3.50 (customs clearance) + whatever duty/VAT is due.

With US AddressPal AnPost add an additional €10 onto the customs charges for collecting the money at the door
    I can’t see that this will stop just because they are charging an extra €3.50 in the first instance because there is more work involved now I think the €3.50 is for the paperwork we’ll still get charged the €10 for collection too
    But I could be wrong we’ll have to see but I won’t be using the service anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

With US AddressPal AnPost add an additional €10 onto the customs charges for collecting the money at the door
    I can’t see that this will stop just because they are charging an extra €3.50 in the first instance because there is more work involved now I think the €3.50 is for the paperwork we’ll still get charged the €10 for collection too

My 5 packages recieved from the US this week have all had a €3.50 charge. No €10 charge on any of them.

Granted, maybe that's because they were only eligible for VAT, and were under the Customs threshold.

My 5 packages recieved from the US this week have all had a €3.50 charge. No €10 charge on any of them.

Granted, maybe that's because they were only eligible for VAT, and were under the Customs threshold.

Either that or did you check the label on the package that set out the fees they add it on that charge when the postman collects it
    It isn’t taken by AddressPal but it’s an additional seperate AnPost collection charge that is added onto the fee the postman collects

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,747 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

But I could be wrong we’ll have to see but I won’t be using the service anymore
    My understanding is that instead of charging €10 on parcels that are flagged for customs charges, An Post is now charging €3.50 on all parcels that are submitted to customs, whether customs charges are raised on them or not.

Customs charges are being collected online or at the PO now, no longer at the door.

Quackster wrote: »
    My understanding is that instead of charging €10 on parcels that are flagged for customs charges, An Post is now charging €3.50 on all parcels that are submitted to customs, whether customs charges are raised on them or not.

Customs charges are being collected online or at the PO now, no longer at the door.

I hope that is the case as it used to be 1 percent of the value with a minimum charge of €10
    €3.50 would be a lot better if this is the case

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,747 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

I hope that is the case as it used to be 1 percent of the value with a minimum charge of €10
    €3.50 would be a lot better if this is the case
    Yeah, I'm just going on my reading of updated AddressPal info so I'm guessing the €10/1% still applies for non-AddressPal items.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 mr_jackapple

Apologies if this has already been answered, but how does Customs / Revenue calculate the charges if there’s no customs declaration on the label. I imagine the sender of the item within the UK wouldn’t have to complete any of that because it’s a domestic delivery to AddressPal. Does Revenue open the package to try make a guesstimate of the item’s value? If there’s no clear indication of value either inside the package or on the label, how do they make that determination? Curious. I thought I’d give it a whirl. Have an item worth about €100 being delivered to AP later this week. I’ll pay the fees because I need the item, but just curious how they’ll calculate it, if at all.

My parcel was delivered 24/12 home delivery and still no tracking number

I just spoke to someone at AddressPal and they told me all items received up to and including 31st December have already been sent to Ireland even without processing to avoid any customs and import fees
    They are now working through the items in Ireland
    So anything received in the hub up to 31st December should be ok

I have been in contact with AirBusiness, who run the UK hubs, who confirmed this.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Maidhci

Apologies if this has already been answered, but how does Customs / Revenue calculate the charges if there’s no customs declaration on the label. I imagine the sender of the item within the UK wouldn’t have to complete any of that because it’s a domestic delivery to AddressPal. Does Revenue open the package to try make a guesstimate of the item’s value? If there’s no clear indication of value either inside the package or on the label, how do they make that determination? Curious. I thought I’d give it a whirl. Have an item worth about €100 being delivered to AP later this week. I’ll pay the fees because I need the item, but just curious how they’ll calculate it, if at all.

Was wondering the same thing myself - occasionally order hybrid vegetable seeds from a UK supplier, who will no longer service the Irish market. As I am an AP customer I thought this was the solution, but obviously have no idea how it will operate as it would be a domestic transaction from the supplier's perspective and no customs declaration etc. would be completed. My transactions would not be subject to customs charges and as far as I am aware, zero rated for VAT purposes. Could you let us know how your transaction was processed. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 mr_jackapple

Maidhci wrote: »
    Was wondering the same thing myself - occasionally order hybrid vegetable seeds from a UK supplier, who will no longer service the Irish market. As I am an AP customer I thought this was the solution, but obviously have no idea how it will operate as it would be a domestic transaction from the supplier's perspective and no customs declaration etc. would be completed. My transactions would not be subject to customs charges and as far as I am aware, zero rated for VAT purposes. Could you let us know how your transaction was processed. Thanks.

Will do. Package was delivered to AP in the UK this morning, so I should find out what happens in the coming days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 oisin097

Anyone waiting on deliveries from AddressPal USA?

Had one package delivered to the hub on December 28th and another on December 30th, no update from either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭5star02707

oisin097 wrote: »

Had one package delivered to the hub on December 28th and another on December 30th, no update from either.

We're all on the same boat, had 2 packages delivered in UK hub 30 and 31st December and no update still

It's a waiting game. A full week now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

5star02707 wrote: »
    We're all on the same boat, had 2 packages delivered in UK hub 30 and 31st December and no update still

It's a waiting game. A full week now

Ordered a woodworking tool from Canada. Freepost to the US but $100 Fedex Economy to Ireland from Canada. Naturally went with addresspal. They are cheap as chips compared to the couriers and you are probably going to be hit for Customs and Vat either way. Its all swings and roundabouts. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Waiting on 3 items from the US and 2 from the UK- including 14kg of food ingredients, which of course, doesn't have any customs declaration on it.......

The US items include a laptop, a musical instrument and a vintage HF amp (all secondhand items from various auctions).

Absolutely nada on my addresspal account from either the US or the UK.

Waiting on 3 items from the US and 2 from the UK- including 14kg of food ingredients, which of course, doesn't have any customs declaration on it.......

The US items include a laptop, a musical instrument and a vintage HF amp (all secondhand items from various auctions).

Absolutely nada on my addresspal account from either the US or the UK.

Interesting, when did your orders arrive at the depot? I am only concerned because the value of my items is about 1000 euro in total.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Interesting, when did your orders arrive at the depot? I am only concerned because the value of my items is about 1000 euro in total.

29th-30th-31st (all 5 deliveries)
    Mine aren't as valuable as yours (I was quite deliberate to try and get in under the EUR150 customs trigger)- but they'd all be over a hundred each.
    The food ingredients- would be the single most expensive delivery.

I have tracking for all items arriving at Englishtown in the US- or Hatfield in the UK- so I know An Post got them- where they are now- or why they haven't been uploaded, I do not know.

I am somewhat worried about the food ingredients- as it has a somewhat limited shelf life- the rest, if it turns up, I'll be happy enough, but I'd like reassurance that An Post acknowledge that they have the orders..........

29th-30th-31st (all 5 deliveries)
    Mine aren't as valuable as yours (I was quite deliberate to try and get in under the EUR150 customs trigger)- but they'd all be over a hundred each.
    The food ingredients- would be the single most expensive delivery.

I have tracking for all items arriving at Englishtown in the US- or Hatfield in the UK- so I know An Post got them- where they are now- or why they haven't been uploaded, I do not know.

I am somewhat worried about the food ingredients- as it has a somewhat limited shelf life- the rest, if it turns up, I'll be happy enough, but I'd like reassurance that An Post acknowledge that they have the orders..........

Just got an update that one of my items was received and dispatched. Not sure which one. You should see updates soon.

The way they used to do it with USA AddressPal was to email you and ask for a copy of the purchase invoice (Paypal transaction usually) they then compete the customs declaration on the parcel adding on the cost of the AddressPal fee to the total value, the parcel was then forwarded to Ireland where it is calculated by customs and an extra €10 AnPost collection fee added onto the overall charge
    The postman would collect the total amount when he delivers it
    So I am guessing that they will follow a similar system now with UK deliveries

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭bo0li5eumx12kp

I ordered by way of Royal mail with tracking, signed by "XP1" at the Hatfield addresspal address last week (just some weird lines), yet nothing has shown on "delivery-events" on address pal website.

Ees normaal?

If they receive a parcel, shouldn't they notify you of such etc?

Anyone received a delivery from them recently?

Advertisement