Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Football Manager 2016

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Mc Love wrote: »
    This years game hasnt been as good/fun to play as previous versions

Maybe you've outgrown Football Manager. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 31,825 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I've been feeling the same too

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Wilberto wrote: »
    Maybe you've outgrown Football Manager. :eek:

Maybe it's outgrown me!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Going to start up a Lower League Management game. Anyone got any reading materials for tacti tips, recommended players, etc? Gonna start at the very bottom if I can, but a lot of the player guides I find tedpnd to be for a league or two up from the bottom :(

I've just started a new game with Avranches in the French CFA. Not sure about tips but find the tactic section on the sigames forum to be a good place to start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 pmass4

Hi,

Anyone know a cheap place to get this game on disc? I've had every one since '07 on disc, just haven't gotten around to getting this one yet. Looks like €32 on Amazon is the cheapest, but just wondering if anyone has seen it cheap in any shops.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,010 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Currently in the year 2040

Managing England i in the second round of Euro 2040 vs Spain I came back from 3-0 down to win 5-3 in ET

I started out managing Ireland in July 2015 (October 2015 in real time) and stayed til 2024 and then went on to manage Celtic and Arsenal winning countless leagues,cups and champions league. In July 2038 I took the England job

Ireland record

World Cup semi finalist in 2026
    Euro Cup Finalist in 2028

Celtic (3 seasons)
    3 leagues, 3 cups, 3 league cups, 1 champions league

Arsenal (6 seasons)
    6 leagues, 5 fa cups, 5 league cups, 6 champions league, 5.Euro super cups, 5 world club cups

PS was on holidays for 70% of the game lol. I play all the international matches, assistant took charge of most of the club games

I aim to win the world cup and Euro Cup with England

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

Funnily enough, I do find FM16 better than previous versions of the game (and it plays better on my laptop than FM15) but for some reason, tactics just stop and you go and lose games and get stuck in a rut... just wish FM15 played as well on my laptop (it seems to lag randomly)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Texas Jack

Lads why the hell can't I develo0p anyone from the academy remotely decent?

Every March in my intake of new youth players for my Leeds save, the best I get is 3 star potential if I'm lucky

I have the besy youth facilities, training, network, scouts and coaches

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Texas Jack wrote: »
    Lads why the hell can't I develo0p anyone from the academy remotely decent?

Every March in my intake of new youth players for my Leeds save, the best I get is 3 star potential if I'm lucky

I have the best youth facilities, training, network, scouts and coaches
    I think catchment area vs competition is a big bit of it - I've finished top 4 for a decade with FC Utd, won 6-7 Premierships, 2 CLs (+ another final), a few FA & League Cups, have all my facilities as state of the art, full youth recruitment, 26 scouts of at least 19/20 JPAbility + JPPotential etc... and it's rare that my academy bring out someone with more than 2* potential (even 2* if rare enough!). Granted, 3* on my team makes you world class, but in a decade of dominating the league I've only produced maybe 3-4 players who have even got to 'yoyo' Premiership/Championship clubs. I also almost never have players from different countries enter from my academy, despite having coaches/players from probably over 25 countries at the club (and have my own nationality a Brazilian/Dutch) - there must be a bug there in this game surely?

On the reverse, it explains why Gelsenkirschen/Schalke become such a monstrous team all the time - one of Europe's biggest metro areas, strong economy, feckin' Germans (e.g. high quality youth) and no competition around them. Still killing me though, I'm getting by on a 20,000 seater stadium and despite all the successes (and the $1.35bn we have in the bank) they refuse to consider building a new one as we don't have a big enough fan base.

How the f*** could a club win 6-7 Premier leagues, 2 CLs (+1 final), 3+ FA Cups and some other little bits in the space of a decade, and not have the fanbase to go above a 20,000 seater stadium!?!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

There should be a functionality where you can hire goons to go to people's houses and force them to come to matches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

In my 4th season as Waterford Utd Manager.

In the last 8 of the CL now and good do very well as my team is getting stronger and stronger.

The good old RSC now fits 45K people ha ha.

Have a lot of youth now coming trow the team and 2 of them now play for Ireland both are worth a few mil each more then some LOI teams :P. At 18 and 19 years old. Then the under 21 team is 14 of my youth team. I say in another 3 or 4 years must of the 1st 11 will be from the youths as i have set up a lot of souts to try and find me the best players posable.

The LOI and there cups are to easy and boring now as if i cant win i be wondering. I am thinking now after the CL this year to move on and go somewhere else as i need something harder ha ha i only have the CL for that once a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Just started a new game.

The injury situation is fairly ridiculous. I'm getting 3 or 4 between each game. Currently have no RB fit and available (3 are injured), and before that, I had my 3 first choice forwards out and also Gabriel Barbosa, who I signed he got injured for 5 months the next day. I seem to have about 10 players injured all the time. My training intensity is medium. Anything else I can do to help?

Also, players don't seem to be able to play 1 or 2 matches in a row, but that could be down to my high tempo tactic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Decided to take one more swing at a game for this season, starting with Racing in the Spanish Segunda B1 after seeing a reddit post explaining how difficult the segunda can be... zero budgets all round and losing 2 of my 4 young talents due to buy out clauses and only allowed a fixed amount of over 23s in the team, it's tough!

Started a new game with Rovers (Blackburn) and won the Championship and Venky's are still tight owners!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

One major disappointment - on my FC United save I had to buy the editor for a bigger stadium. 6 (or 7) of 10 Premier Leagues, 4 FA Cups in a row, 2 CLs (+ another final, in the quarters every year for 8 straight seasons) and they still wouldn't give me a new stadium despite being at capacity of 20,000 seats for that full time. In the 10-11 years in the Premiership, you could probably count the games (in all comps) that weren't sell outs with your fingers.

There's obviously a formula to do with city size, number of teams in the city, etc, which is why Gelsenkirschen (Berlin) become so huge and have so many quality youth players etc (5.8mn population in one of the best footballing countries in the world) that meant City & Man Utd were taking from my fanbase, but still... that's just incredibly unrealistic. At a certain point national/continental/global fanbases should be taken into account, and having won all that stuff while having to sell basically all my best players* as soon as they hit their mid 20s (barring my ridiculous keeper, ridiculous striker, and a quality CM) due to the stadium size I still felt a bit of a cheat using it, but have the most absurd bunch of teenagers and want to just be able to run 15 years with them as the core of the club.

*Tip for building with smaller teams is to always buy teenager & invest all you can in youth/training facilities and scouts. Spend the whole season searching for U21 players around the world and esp the cheaper parts (I got a guy from 80k from Africa who looks set to be an 80mn player in the next year or two, got the aformentioned ridiculous keeper for 2mn from a small Norwegian team, and the absurd Polish striker from a lower league Polish team for 3.2mn - in terms of attributes, both are almost certainly the best in the world for the last 6-7 years), and then the guys who look most promising, assign a scout to all of them for a month or so from March on... scouts seem able to cover more than one player at a time, but still make sure to have the biggest, best staff you can find (I've got 26 scouts, all at least 19/19 on JPAbility & JPPotential). Pay extra in signing on fees and bonuses to keep their wages down and most importantly, to make the contract as long as you can with a three-year extension clause (and if possible, a one-year extension if 10-15 league games played in their last season)... meaning if you pick up an 18 year old on the cheap with big potential, you can develop him to reach all of that potential within 2-3 years, and will have him on a cheap contract until he is 27, meaning you can sell him off for some cash at 26, or for more cash at 25 if the offer comes in. Also make sure to have 2-3 players like this per position so you can sell as soon as good offers come in and use the money to further improve facilities/stadium and pick up 2-3 cheap replacements - the three guys I listed (actually probably only the GK & CF) are the only players I would not have sold as they are pretty tricky to come across, and keepers are harder to replace as I rarely ever use my backups. I've had several world class players on way, way under 100k for several years because of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Billy86 wrote: »
    One major disappointment - on my FC United save I had to buy the editor for a bigger stadium. 6 (or 7) of 10 Premier Leagues, 4 FA Cups in a row, 2 CLs (+ another final, in the quarters every year for 8 straight seasons) and they still wouldn't give me a new stadium despite being at capacity of 20,000 seats for that full time. In the 10-11 years in the Premiership, you could probably count the games (in all comps) that weren't sell outs with your fingers.

There's obviously a formula to do with city size, number of teams in the city, etc, which is why Gelsenkirschen (Berlin) become so huge and have so many quality youth players etc (5.8mn population in one of the best footballing countries in the world) that meant City & Man Utd were taking from my fanbase, but still... that's just incredibly unrealistic. At a certain point national/continental/global fanbases should be taken into account, and having won all that stuff while having to sell basically all my best players* as soon as they hit their mid 20s (barring my ridiculous keeper, ridiculous striker, and a quality CM) due to the stadium size I still felt a bit of a cheat using it, but have the most absurd bunch of teenagers and want to just be able to run 15 years with them as the core of the club.

*Tip for building with smaller teams is to always buy teenager & invest all you can in youth/training facilities and scouts. Spend the whole season searching for U21 players around the world and esp the cheaper parts (I got a guy from 80k from Africa who looks set to be an 80mn player in the next year or two, got the aformentioned ridiculous keeper for 2mn from a small Norwegian team, and the absurd Polish striker from a lower league Polish team for 3.2mn - in terms of attributes, both are almost certainly the best in the world for the last 6-7 years), and then the guys who look most promising, assign a scout to all of them for a month or so from March on... scouts seem able to cover more than one player at a time, but still make sure to have the biggest, best staff you can find (I've got 26 scouts, all at least 19/19 on JPAbility & JPPotential). Pay extra in signing on fees and bonuses to keep their wages down and most importantly, to make the contract as long as you can with a three-year extension clause (and if possible, a one-year extension if 10-15 league games played in their last season)... meaning if you pick up an 18 year old on the cheap with big potential, you can develop him to reach all of that potential within 2-3 years, and will have him on a cheap contract until he is 27, meaning you can sell him off for some cash at 26, or for more cash at 25 if the offer comes in. Also make sure to have 2-3 players like this per position so you can sell as soon as good offers come in and use the money to further improve facilities/stadium and pick up 2-3 cheap replacements - the three guys I listed (actually probably only the GK & CF) are the only players I would not have sold as they are pretty tricky to come across, and keepers are harder to replace as I rarely ever use my backups. I've had several world class players on way, way under 100k for several years because of this.

That's great advice on the contracts for cheap players, only started to twig onto it a bit in my latest save but hadn't even thought to do the 3+1 years of extension! All I was doing was the 1 year extension and getting rid of their yearly wage increases...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

In my 4th season as Waterford Utd Manager.

In the last 8 of the CL now and good do very well as my team is getting stronger and stronger.

The good old RSC now fits 45K people ha ha.

Have a lot of youth now coming trow the team and 2 of them now play for Ireland both are worth a few mil each more then some LOI teams :P. At 18 and 19 years old. Then the under 21 team is 14 of my youth team. I say in another 3 or 4 years must of the 1st 11 will be from the youths as i have set up a lot of souts to try and find me the best players posable.

The LOI and there cups are to easy and boring now as if i cant win i be wondering. I am thinking now after the CL this year to move on and go somewhere else as i need something harder ha ha i only have the CL for that once a year.

You must be using some kind of editor surely? I'm in my 11th year managing Waterford and I've only reached the Champions League group stage once and the Europa League group stage once.

Given that we start in the First Division I doubt you got us to Champions League quarter finalists after 3 years of Premier Division football.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Joined some random lower table team from Belarus. Drew 1-1 with the Champions in waiting to end a six match losing streak. Sacked. Was pretty annoyed until I realised there isn't a lower league so relegation is auto sacking. Was left feeling pretty dumb for not checking the league levels despite knowing it would take a miracle to keep them up :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Joined some random lower table team from Belarus. Drew 1-1 with the Champions in waiting to end a six match losing streak. Sacked. Was pretty annoyed until I realised there isn't a lower league so relegation is auto sacking. Was left feeling pretty dumb for not checking the league levels despite knowing it would take a miracle to keep them up :pac:

That reminds me of a save I had (albeit with Championship Manager 07/08) where I was sacked from Cork City (:eek::o), but then, eventually, got back into management with the opportunity to take over Galway United who were well adrift at the bottom of Division 1. We ended up going on a great run, beating teams who were gunning for promotion, and almost caught Drogheda who above us but just ran out of games. Absolutely gutted after, and then the inevitable relegation auto sack came. I really enjoyed that save, particularly that spell in it with Galway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

Started a new save wtih Bayer Leverkusen , First season just about managed to get into the champions league spot then the second season we surprisingly won the league and got to the champions league final.
    Wining the final with 4 minutes to go when we concede an OG and then early in extra time the player that conceded the OG gets sent off and we lose 3-1. Needless to say that player never played for the club again...he was old and his contract was running out anyway.
    Season 3 is a struggle so far....can't get any consistency. We just about qualified for the knock out stage of the CL but we have no chance of winning the league again, Bayern are about 20 points clear of the pack who are battling it out for second. We are in that pack but i'm not hopeful.
    I made the mistake of selling Hernandez for 30 million, he was banging in the goals for 2 seasons. i replaced him with Deigo Costa who has just been ok.
    I've recalled Zack Clough from loan because he is in good form , scoring goals with Hamburg who were above us in the table.
    I hope he can make the difference

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Slattsy wrote: »
    Into 2026 with Shalke. Ranked the best team in Europe for the past 4/5 years and still players want to leave when the likes of PSG and Monaco show an interest!

Im unbeatable in the league as Bayerns stars are now old/retired and Stuttgart are now my closest rivals!

No other team has ever approached me for a vacant managers role - i do find that odd!

They're naming the new stadium after me!! The Slattery Arena

So proud :D:D

Also, buy Dustley Winklaar - he's the best striker the game has ever had. In the last 4 years, he's played over 200 games and has over 400 goals.
    Ok, I have a very good team in only a decent German league, but that record is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,825 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

• Registered Users Posts: 34,066 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I got the 20euro version on Apple app store for my Tablet.

Have say it's very easy and enjoyable. Currently Cork city. 3 seasons in and finally won league

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

I got the 20euro version on Apple app store for my Tablet.

Have say it's very easy and enjoyable. Currently Cork city. 3 seasons in and finally won league

I hope you didn't get that recently! It was 7 euro not long ago

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Where can I get this cheapest for my laptop? being trying to play the updated Champ manager but it keeps crashing after a season or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

€15.19 on cdkeys.com

Pter wrote: »
    €15.19 on cdkeys.com

Brilliant thanks :)

Bought this of CDkeys thanks again guys, still getting used to it but already at logger heads with the board due to a lack of transfer funds.....didnt realise that additional comments can be picked up.....well "**** them anyways" didnt go down too well!! Absolutely lost it laughing, love this game:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

Looking back, I am quite happy that I bought the 2016 version of the game. IMO it is possibly the best in the last decade. The addition of new features was stagnant for a few years, but they are really adding quite a lot to the game now, on top of big improvements in the match engine.

Advertisement