Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Football Manager 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

Ah this is ridiculous. Decided to send out the team with hardly any tactics, only lost once in last 7 games now. Moral of the story: Let them run around like headless chickens and they'll win.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Ah this is ridiculous. Decided to send out the team with hardly any tactics, only lost once in last 7 games now. Moral of the story: Let them run around like headless chickens and they'll win.

This guy can be your captain!

:pac:

Wilberto wrote: »
    This guy can be your captain!

:pac:

Il sign him in the next transfer window!

Ive gone from being in the relegation zone to one place outside the play offs with my no tactics tactic. Insane!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

alright lads i've resigned myself to never getting money from the club to make any decent moves to get out of the championship. I've taken tranmere from conference to championship in 3 years and finished comfortably mid table in my first year there. I'll have to go down the buying kids and developing in training etc.

Anyone have any advice for this time round. Havent had to buy kids in and develop in years

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Sounds like you need a year bolstering the finances.....year after year promotions is tough on the structure of some smaller clubs.

• Advertisement

Pter wrote: »
    Sounds like you need a year bolstering the finances.....year after year promotions is tough on the structure of some smaller clubs.

Ya my wage bill is 128k p/w so had to rely on 4 loan players in my starting 11 pretty much all season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Iang87 wrote: »
    alright lads i've resigned myself to never getting money from the club to make any decent moves to get out of the championship. I've taken tranmere from conference to championship in 3 years and finished comfortably mid table in my first year there. I'll have to go down the buying kids and developing in training etc.
    That's the only approach I've taken on FM for years and years. I'm just ready to start the 2033/34 season, winning 3 of the last 5 Premier Leagues (finishing 3rd the other two times) and in 2031/32 I won the Champions League. :D

Still waiting on a new stadium though, apparently you need to wait 20 years from your last one being built and FCUM's is listed as being built in 2015. It's at 20,000 capacity so not TOO bad but because of it but has meant I have needed to keep a wage cap of about 50-60k a year until now. I've got about 1.3bn Euros in the bank and am crossing my fingers in 2035 I get the green light to build a 60,000+ seater!

If you've got them two promotions try using the "after all I have done for this club this is the least you could do" line, I have to use that for seemingly every little last thing - including every single youth/training upgrade (along with stadium capacity and the academy stuff, the most important part of the whole game).

How are MU doing in that save?

Pter wrote: »
    How are MU doing in that save?
    They've been up and down... City won the league something like 6 times in a row while I was getting my promotions, but they've come back

That's always been a hang up of mine though, in all my years playing FM I have never, ever seen United be the dominant team in England. I can see the sense in City/Chelsea (money) doing so in the game, but for some reason Arsenal and even Liverpool have a tendency to become absolute behemoths while Man Utd flounder in midtable. Man Utd's youth players also get rated a lot lower than others on average, which is also frustrating. /Rant. :p

Actually Spurs won the CL twice in a row with Pocchetino! But then he left for Atletico (where he won all of the things) and they got relegated and stayed down for 3 seasons almost right away! Liverpool even got relegated too, and Everton have been outside the Premiership for a good 10 years (even dipping to League One at one point!) :eek: . Pocchetino went to Man Utd 2-3 seasons ago and they have gone from missing the CL two years in a row, to winning the league on 97 points last year.

I also sold a player to PSG for about 230mn Euro (to be fair he was just gone 21 and a god-like DM/CM)!! :pac:

I have been using the 'FM Speeder' tool so I can go through a full season in a few hours which is why I have got that far - I find it interesting to see how things develop. It's also nice to see people win the WPOTY award who are not named Messi or Neymar. :)

My no tactics tactic has won me promotion to the championship hurrah!!

Ive been yo-yoing up and down to it for a number of seasons now. Hopefully Il be able to stay up this time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

My no tactics tactic has won me promotion to the championship hurrah!!

Ive been yo-yoing up and down to it for a number of seasons now. Hopefully Il be able to stay up this time.

I always get bogged down in tactics so I might try this next time I'm playing. What formation are you using?

A normal 4-4-2 at the moment with the exception that my left back is moved up to the wing back position. No genius reason for that, its just his best position.

I'm supposed to be a relegation candidate this season but I'm exactly half way through the season now and I'm in the play off positions.

Mentality and shape, whatever you prefer. Higher tempo, direct passing, balanced width, stay on feet. Defensive line and closing down change depending on who I'm playing. Everything else I leave blank.

Hope that helps some bit.

Almost had a fairly tale finish to the season. On the last day I squeezed into 6th getting the last play off spot by a point. Made it to the final against Leicester. The game poised at 3-3 ready to go to extra time when they scored in the 88th minute. Gutted!

After bringing tranmere through the divisions I made one demand and got the sack. Had no team for 3 months then luton took me on in relegation zone of league one. Made the playoffs on the last day and got promoted. Overtaking tranmere as they got relegated (delighted, Bastards). 10 games into new season leeds came knocking and my 10 month luton hiatus was over. I kept leeds up and Norwich came knocking after 45 league games so I played the last game of the season with Norwich.

First time I ever managed 3 teams in one division in one season. Norwich are throwing money at me to get them promoted.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Definitely the most frustrating FM I have ever played!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Started a new game with PSG, their is just something stopping me from getting into it.
    Any ideas on a fun team to start with, was thinking china

• Registered Users Posts: 14,083 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Man United, its great, you can even score goals and everything with them!

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Is there a bug in the game or are my players just crap regarding penalties?

They have missed the last 7 penalties they've been awarded in games and its really annoying the hell out of me at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,825 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I'm back in the game. Started with Strasbourg in the French National. Won promotion in the first season as was expected and I'm currently sitting second in Ligue 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Gerard3003

Was really struggling to get into the game this time around, just couldn't find a save to hold my interest! So my advice to anyone in a similar situation, try Bournemouth! In my 3rd season with them atm and its great fun, only problem is not being able to afford to keep Iturbe after 1st season as he is a beast in game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭bigron2109

Breel Embolo is some player. I'm playing him on the wing and he is fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Ciano35

bigron2109 wrote: »

He's always one of the first players I try to get!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

bigron2109 wrote: »

What level is he ?

He is at a level where you could buy him with Southampton as a starter in year 1, and then by year 2 or 3, Utd, City, Liverpool or Chelsea would come in with big bucks to take him off you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

I've finally got to put some time into the game over the last couple weeks. Managing Everton, finished 3rd in my first 2 seasons, with 3 points of 1st place both seasons, and 5th in season 3. Won the FA Cup in season 1. Made the CL last 16 in season 2 and CL QF in season 3.

Playing a 4-1-4-1 or 4-1-3-1-1 formation
    Squad is
    GK - Rajkovic
    RB - Coleman/Regen
    CB - Lucas/Jagielka/Funes Mori/Papadopoulos/Regen
    LB - Baines/Galloway
    DM - Tielemans/McCarthy/Samper
    CM - Hojbjerg/Ajer
    LM - Isco/2 other players, can't remember their names.
    RM - Brandt/Mirallas
    AMC - Barkley/A few other players can fill this role.
    S - Embolo/Calleri/Zivkovic

Injuries are a pain in the ar** but even more annoying is how easily the players become unhappy. I started the 3rd season with a strong squad and after 2 pretty poor results to start the season the players got in a huff. I called a few team meetings to raise morale but after the very next game the morale would drop again. After 18 games were in 17th and I was 1 loss away from losing my job. I then somehow beat Man Utd 3-0 in Old Trafford and went on an amazing run of games and finished comfortably in 5th. Got offered the Netherlands job after the World Cup so I will keep that on until the Euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Jimmy Rabbitte Snr

Injuries are a pain in the ar** but even more annoying is how easily the players become unhappy.

I have the same problem at Leeds. Just starting my 6th season, making steady progress. 1st season beaten in the playoff finals. 2nd, won the Championship. The next two seasons in the PL finished 12th and 10th, and 5th season just finished, we've just qualified for the Champions League finishing 4th. Any time a bid comes in for a player they throw the toys out of the pram and want out. Or as soon as they haven't played 3 or 4 games they want to leave for first team football. Still though, enjoying this one and am at the point of having funds to make the big signings. Had 3 seasons of loan deals and free transfers. Although all of the original hot prospects at the start of the game now (Embolo, Zivcovic, Tielemans etc.) are now moving clubs for 40 million plus so cant get them real big names. Did manage to sign Martial in season 4, scored over 20 goals and then Arsenal met his minimum fee clause which gave me a 15million profit. He's spent season 5 on the bench for them. Great game, addiction fully reignited.

I have the same problem at Leeds. Just starting my 6th season, making steady progress. 1st season beaten in the playoff finals. 2nd, won the Championship. The next two seasons in the PL finished 12th and 10th, and 5th season just finished, we've just qualified for the Champions League finishing 4th. Any time a bid comes in for a player they throw the toys out of the pram and want out. Or as soon as they haven't played 3 or 4 games they want to leave for first team football. Still though, enjoying this one and am at the point of having funds to make the big signings. Had 3 seasons of loan deals and free transfers. Although all of the original hot prospects at the start of the game now (Embolo, Zivcovic, Tielemans etc.) are now moving clubs for 40 million plus so cant get them real big names. Did manage to sign Martial in season 4, scored over 20 goals and then Arsenal met his minimum fee clause which gave me a 15million profit. He's spent season 5 on the bench for them. Great game, addiction fully reignited.

Two suggestions, re transfers:
    1. Take the "we will sell you if they match our valuation" route, and put a very high valuation on them. Even if it's an absurdly high figure for someone you can't afford to lose, it tends to keep them happy enough. And in my save, it led to PSG buying a DM off my for about 250mn Euros. :D

2. On contracts, I always just deny the request, then talk with them and say "time left on your deal" and 99% of them time they are fine there. Also I tend to ask someone to sack their agent every time they ask, to a have a squad with less aggressive agents and (pure theory on my part, not if it is coded in) stopping players from developing too close a relationship with their agents.

One that irritates me is players not getting used after being bought. I bought a RB from Shamrock Rovers for 100k in my FC United save when in the Championship. Got promoted with him as a teenage starter, where he did well and got in the Irish squad. First season in the Premiership he was only OK (6.95 rating or something) but cemented himself as starting Irish RB. Third season, he was playing out of his mind (something like an 8.10 rating by January, for a team that were by far the biggest relegation favourites in the league), and Man Utd came in with a 32mn Euro bid. I had such a small club (12,000 seater stadium, wage bill of about 8mn Euro a year which was about 1/6th the size of the next smallest wage bill, about 8-9 players in my 21/22 man squad were loanees, and my highest paid player was on 12k a week!) that this was MEGA money. I had rejected a smaller offer from them in the summer, and if I recall had also rejected a lower bid from them a few days previous. Man Utd really, really, really wanted his guy.

I immediately accepted the offer, and also managed to get an incentive for a few more million if he got 10 more games for Ireland (by now he had 30-odd caps at 21 years of age). Having paid such a high fee for the guy in the middle of the season, Man United went on to play him for... exactly 0 minutes. In 2.5 years. Not one game. I checked at first too, and not even a place on the bench even once from what I could see.

It would be like if Man Utd had spent 30mn+ Euro on Mahrez or Vardy back in January, and immediately put them in the reserves never to play again. I wouldn't really mind if it was a one off, and it doesn't seem as bad as in some of the previous games, but it really grates me seeing clubs regularly spending huge money on players and dumping them in the reserves for 2-3 years to rot, then releasing them years later having only even given them maybe 3-4 subs appearances in their whole time there.

I think the guy is a squaddie in the Championship/League One by now at about 30 years of age. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

That happens constantly in my games, so many players have gone to Bayern and Real and played 20 or 30 games in total for 3 or 4 seasons and they end up being sold for 1/4 of what they were bought for.

I'll have to try your tactic on the transfer and contract offers. If a player asks once I normally just tell him to hold out until the end of the season, if they ask a second time I usually just sell because I don't want someone at the club who doesn't want to be there. Even if its my favourite player if he asks to leave I'll fall out with them and not play them as much. I take the game too much to heart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Took over AC Milan in my fifth season after they failed each season, was only after the transfer market closed I realised I sold all my cbs and had forgot to go after another one when David Luiz turned me down

• Advertisement

That happens constantly in my games, so many players have gone to Bayern and Real and played 20 or 30 games in total for 3 or 4 seasons and they end up being sold for 1/4 of what they were bought for.

I'll have to try your tactic on the transfer and contract offers. If a player asks once I normally just tell him to hold out until the end of the season, if they ask a second time I usually just sell because I don't want someone at the club who doesn't want to be there. Even if its my favourite player if he asks to leave I'll fall out with them and not play them as much. I take the game too much to heart.
    I've found that promises are a terrible idea most often (some exceptions, like a not-quite-there-yet teen with 5-star potential who you'll then need to shoe-horn in to some appearances to avoid a Man Utd/Pogba situation), they're tricky to keep track of an almost always come back to haunt you. The worst is the 'give you games in the next month' bit - if you do that near the end of the season or just before an int'l break they'll come back saying you broke your promise... even if you didn't play a single game in that time!!

The detail they put into relationship management and such is great (and really important, Ferguson was one of the best managers ever and it's the crux of what he built his career on - he was average at best tactically, to be honest), but I've learned to try and gloss over or cut out some of it dismissively like that because it can lead to major issues.

If you do it right, it's pretty simple - in my FC United save I have won 4 of the last 6 Premier leagues 3 of the last 6 FA Cups, 1 Carling Cup, 1 CL and got to 1 CL more final. My squad is almost exclusively World Class players, or youngsters with WC potential. I love to buy U21s, put them on the longest contract I am allowed, and to add the '3yr optional extension' part, because if you get an 18 year old on 20k a week with a 15% annual increase, that can turn into an 80mn Euro World Class player on under 100k for 8 years, at which point you can decide to cash in or pay them proper. It also means you'll be in nearly all of their favoured personnel, which makes negotiations and convincing them to ditch agents extremely easy (nobody has refused to get rid of their agent for me in a good 5-6 years!).

For all those WC players on my squad, only two guys are on over 100k (Euro) a week - one is the best striker in the world, most expensive player in the world, and one of the best strikers I've ever seen in any FM game ever (he's a regen but I'll post a screenshot of his stats on the weekend, it's absurd) and the other is a World Class DM/CM with a career avg rating of about 7.65 who was on the world team of the year the last two seasons running. My stadium will be 20 years old after the season I just started and I have over 1bn in the bank, so hopefully I can get a massive new stadium ASAP because I've a tonne of contracts up in the next 2-3 seasons (but none at the end of this season bar my backup GK) and I've got the squad to win absolutely everything for 7-8 straight seasons at the very least without even needing to make a single purchase. But they'll be looking for big money now, and I can't afford to give them that in a 20,000 seater stadium. :o

On the plus side re. the 20,000 seater stadium I have an annual allocation of over 18,000 season tickets that's never failed to fill out, so the gaf is packed every week. Think I've only failed to sell out a half dozen or so matches in the last decade. Annually have 100% league attendance, and still comfortably the lower actuall attendance in the top flight. :D

Advertisement