Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Events Centre

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

Might as well post the latest on this. From today's Examiner
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/pressure-mounting-over-cork-event-centre-404911.html

"But with confirmation that up to three months of archaeological investigations will be required, concerns are mounting construction work may not even start before the end of the year.

It has also emerged that funding contracts have not yet been signed, and that the developers have sought an extension to the scheme’s five-year planning permission, granted in 2011, fuelling fears construction could be further delayed."

I think one of the issues here is the feeling of being taken for a ride. These developments take time, archaeology needs to be investigated, designs finalised and contracts signed. We wish they'd take less time (and I'm sure they could) but we can all understand things dragging on.
    What I think is unforgivable is arranging a sod-turning event, telling us that everything is ready to go and 'starting in 2-3 weeks' etc. when clearly everyone there - BAM, Heineken, City Council, Simon Coveney and Enda Kenny knew well enough that this was all a sham. If it does happen it will be months away and they knew that when they contrived that sod-turning event in February.
    I know I shouldn't be surprised by election stunts but it is the sheer audacity and scale of it that amazes me. Did they not realise this would all become very obvious, very soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,103 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

I think one of the issues here is the feeling of being taken for a ride. These developments take time, archaeology needs to be investigated, designs finalised and contracts signed. We wish they'd take less time (and I'm sure they could) but we can all understand things dragging on.
    What I think is unforgivable is arranging a sod-turning event, telling us that everything is ready to go and 'starting in 2-3 weeks' etc. when clearly everyone there - BAM, Heineken, City Council, Simon Coveney and Enda Kenny knew well enough that this was all a sham. If it does happen it will be months away and they knew that when they contrived that sod-turning event in February.
    I know I shouldn't be surprised by election stunts but it is the sheer audacity and scale of it that amazes me. Did they not realise this would all become very obvious, very soon?

They knew they only had to buy a few weeks until the election. After that didn't matter. Shameful carry on though for the sake of a few votes.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭P.lane78

namloc1980 wrote: »
    They knew they only had to buy a few weeks until the election. After that didn't matter. Shameful carry on though for the sake of a few votes.

I can see the sod turning FG posse rolling back into town for the official Cork limerick motorway construction start date about three weeks before the next election:D

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Dave47

Shouldn't they get started on excavating and getting archaeologists in? Doubt you'll be able to do much if they find stuff, and it is expected that they'll find items in that area :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,809 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Dave47 wrote: »
    Shouldn't they get started on excavating and getting archaeologists in? Doubt you'll be able to do much if they find stuff, and it is expected that they'll find items in that area :P

No one to pay for the archaeologists if the development isn't going ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

MrTea is spot on, I've had the patient hat on for the past 12months hoping it would pay dividends but this is a píss take.

The amount of media coverage, commitments, publicity stunts surrounding this project and when it boils down to it, this is still very much an idea on a few sheets of paper, no closer to being realised now than they were conceived

Incredibly disappointing

Enda Kenny was on sky sports giving analysis on a Mayo match the other day, this is the fúcking gom we have in charge, puts his face around the place, all smiles, zero follow through like pretty much any high profile politician

I think it is now very clear that, even if this goes ahead, it cannot be finished by 2018. Spring/Summer 2018 were dates given by BAM, Live Nation and Simon Coveney.
    We must be talking 2019 at the very earliest now.

Any signs of action on site? I haven't been there in a few weeks. Is there now a breach of planning if BAM have erected their containers in the front yard of the Counting House and have admitted that they are not part of the brewery development?

Now for today's thrilling installment of the soap opera:
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/simon-coveney-defends-sod-turning-on-stalled-53m-events-centre-in-cork-406196.html

Simon Coveney defends sod turning on stalled €53m events centre in Cork

“If we hadn’t performed a sod turning, people would have been more sceptical about this project."

“I am in regular contact with BAM, and they have no intention of backing away from their commitment to the project at all."

Pity he doesn't say the same about the other partners (e.g. Live Nation).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Now for today's thrilling installment of the soap opera:
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/simon-coveney-defends-sod-turning-on-stalled-53m-events-centre-in-cork-406196.html

Simon Coveney defends sod turning on stalled €53m events centre in Cork

“If we hadn’t performed a sod turning, people would have been more sceptical about this project."

“I am in regular contact with BAM, and they have no intention of backing away from their commitment to the project at all."

Pity he doesn't say the same about the other partners (e.g. Live Nation).
    Should some internal design elements really hold the initial works up?

• Advertisement

vkid wrote: »

The contracts aren't even signed yet. Mr Coveney is spoofing (again) by claiming only internal design is holding it up. He's just an embarrassment at this stage defending the indefensible.

Of course not. Archaeological investigations and demolition needs to happen anyway. If all parties were are on board, these would have started.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

No but I dont think anyone is stupid enough to believe its just internal designs holding this up. I reckon its Live Nation who have/will pull out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭kub

Timetable for Cork events centre considered to restore public faith
    From Eoin English in the Irish Examiner

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/timetable-for-cork-events-centre-considered-to-restore-public-faith-407278.html

The publication of a timetable for the delivery of Cork’s stalled €53m events centre is now being considered in a bid to restore public faith in the project.

“There will be a point, in the not too distant future, where there will be a timetable for this project that we can publicly launch so that people aren’t in the dark, in terms of whether work is going to start this week, this month, or whatever,” Simon Coveney

I'm guessing it'll be 'whatever'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

“There will be a point, in the not too distant future, where there will be a timetable for this project that we can publicly launch so that people aren’t in the dark, in terms of whether work is going to start this week, this month, or whatever,” Simon Coveney

Wow, talk about being vague and leaving it completely open ended.

So at some point in the "not too distant future" (could easily put that in the 6-12 month bracket) there will be a "timetable"! A fricking timetable!?? That literally could be anything from starting next week to 5 years down the road and beyond. Also, this timetable will be getting its own "public launch" :confused: I'd rather the event center was being publicly launched, not a timetable.

And final nail... "or whatever".

FFS :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭cardinal tetra

they should scrap the whole lot and have it down at the customs house. the frontage is structurally stunning, the access to the train station, bus lins and the south (and north) links are there. there is plenty of accessible park and rides within easy reach and there are a number of hotels and B&B in the area. granted there is fewer pubs and resteraunts down that area but shouldnt a project like this be a legacy renovation, much like the london olympics where it brings life to an area. a reinvigouration. not more traffic congestion and inaccessibility.

scrap the events center altogether, build a massive office block for morgan stanley and bring some of those 2,000 jobs waiting to leave london to cork in its own little ifsc that is not based in the airport business park.

holy cow, the possibilities and potential on offer in cork without anyone willing to grasp it FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭calnand

they should scrap the whole lot and have it down at the customs house. the frontage is structurally stunning, the access to the train station, bus lins and the south (and north) links are there. there is plenty of accessible park and rides within easy reach and there are a number of hotels and B&B in the area. granted there is fewer pubs and resteraunts down that area but shouldnt a project like this be a legacy renovation, much like the london olympics where it brings life to an area. a reinvigouration. not more traffic congestion and inaccessibility.

scrap the events center altogether, build a massive office block for morgan stanley and bring some of those 2,000 jobs waiting to leave london to cork in its own little ifsc that is not based in the airport business park.

holy cow, the possibilities and potential on offer in cork without anyone willing to grasp it FFS.

And how would they build it at the custom house they can't knock any of it down as it's all protected, plus drunk people and being completely surrounded by water don't mix

That is an interesting train of thought for the Customs House building.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭cardinal tetra

calnand wrote: »
    And how would they build it at the custom house they can't knock any of it down as it's all protected, plus drunk people and being completely surrounded by water don't mix

I'm not an architect but it's very possible and the point is on the Liffey estuary open to the Irish sea.. The current proposal is beside the Lee. Your point is silly.

• Advertisement

I think we can all agree that Beamish and Crawford was/is just one of the possible sites in Cork that could house an event centre. For example, the Marquee site was previously mooted as part of a Howard Holdings development in that area.
    Regardless, the only one close to getting going is the South Main Street plan. I would be loath to go back to the drawing board on this. It would take at least 10 years before we got back to our current position, unsatisfactory as that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭opus

Spotted two lads loading a skip with scrap metal in there this morning, if it's just the two of them going to take a while for anything to be done :)

286vp6t.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

opus wrote: »
    Spotted two lads loading a skip with scrap metal in there this morning, if it's just the two of them going to take a while for anything to be done :)

"Coveney hails 'impressive progress' at Events Centre Site"

There is a few bob to be made from scrap metal, boss ;)

We are being treated to another of Mr Coveneys famous timeline predictions in the examiner today, hopefully for him he is more accurate with his own career prospects rather than the event centre delivery. http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/simon-coveney-fine-gael-leadership-race-likely-in-not-too-distant-future-743708.html :D

Given that we are now in 'silly season', I think I'm right in saying that we won't get the promised timetable until September at the earliest.
    Given these delays, and all going well, I can't see this being delivered until 2019 at earliest. It would not surprise me to hear 2020. That's if it goes ahead at all.
    The more I talk to people around town, the more I hear talk of a complete collapse. Unfortunately, no evidence has been forthcoming that these rumours are wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

No news this week no?

Just waiting for the timetable for the timetable at this stage.

Another example today of Enda Kennys sod turning skills and there effect on project completions....the event centre omens are not good.........http://www.rte.ie/news/2016/0722/804188-power-plant/

Last October, the Taoiseach turned the sod on the development.

Enda Kenny described the investment as "a vote of confidence in the Irish economy".

• Advertisement

Any news on this?
    Passed there recently and nothing has changed. Lots of BAM stuff for the capitol but nothing else going on. Weren't we promised a timetable for work to begin and progress? That seems to have been forgotten.

Advertisement