Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Events Centre

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,363 ✭✭✭ofcork

Source?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

ofcork wrote: »
    Source?

It's always two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭opus

Source?

Surely you don't think a local politician was telling an untruth as an election stroke?!

COVENEY: EVENT CENTRE TO START IN A MONTH

Well I'm looking at it now and can't see any activity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

Was around there the other evening and watched a cherrypicker type device drive from the Capitol site up to the Brewery site to be parked up for the night.
    The site is certainly being used as a site office/equipment store for the Capitol. Whether any real work is being done on the event centre site, I really can't tell.

• Advertisement

I'm boring myself now on this topic but I'm astounded we're at this stage again. 3 months on from the sod-turning and zero to show for it. There is only so much of being told that it's 'all happening behind the scenes', 'very complicated project', etc. the public can take.
    I'm just going to assume we've been lied to by Fine Gael and the partners here. Looking on the brightside, it's a fine site for housing. Our new minister for housing will be delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I'm boring myself now on this topic but I'm astounded we're at this stage again. 3 months on from the sod-turning and zero to show for it. There is only so much of being told that it's 'all happening behind the scenes', 'very complicated project', etc. the public can take.
    I'm just going to assume we've been lied to by Fine Gael and the partners here. Looking on the brightside, it's a fine site for housing. Our new minister for housing will be delighted.

Wasn't there supposed to be a significant housing element in the brewery quarter plan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

cgcsb wrote: »
    Wasn't there supposed to be a significant housing element in the brewery quarter plan?

student accomodation

• Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭cgcsb

That's good, providing purpose built student accommodation takes a large number of people out of the lower end of the private rented sector, which will decrease the competition for the poorest people seeking rented accommodation.

It's my understanding that the residential/accommodation section of the development is not being constructed at this time. Presumably, if the event centre ever gets built, the accommodation will come later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

It's my understanding that the residential/accommodation section of the development is not being constructed at this time. Presumably, if the event centre ever gets built, the accommodation will come later.

Jesus wept! This is turning into one hell of a fiasco. Where are our public representatives on this one. No shortage of them when the so called sod was turned on the project.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,103 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Cape Clear wrote: »
    Jesus wept! This is turning into one hell of a fiasco. Where are our public representatives on this one. No shortage of them when the so called sod was turned on the project.

Now now. You'll be dismissed as a pessimist and doomsayer. Look you'll get the Events Centre soon enough. And by soon enough I mean probably never.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blow69

opus wrote: »
    Surely you don't think a local politician was telling an untruth as an election stroke?!

COVENEY: EVENT CENTRE TO START IN A MONTH

THE first sod should be turned on the long-awaited event centre for Cork within a month.

That’s the prediction of Government minister and Cork South Central TD, Simon Coveney, following delays to the €50m jewel in the crown of the €150m redevelopment of the old Beamish & Crawford brewery.

Prediction? How about an actual tangible progress update on this Simon instead of a prediction. You can literally predict anything. That doesn't mean it will actually happen.

I'm sorry to say but I think this has all the signs of something gone 'belly up'.
    Maybe the intention was there to begin with but despite all the predictions and start dates, this has obviously stalled.
    I think the taxpayer who has ploughed millions into this deserves to know what's wrong this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭rebs23

I'm sorry to say but I think this has all the signs of something gone 'belly up'.
    Maybe the intention was there to begin with but despite all the predictions and start dates, this has obviously stalled.
    I think the taxpayer who has ploughed millions into this deserves to know what's wrong this time.
    Taxpayer hasn't put any money into this yet. The millions so far has been spent by the developers.

rebs23 wrote: »
    Taxpayer hasn't put any money into this yet. The millions so far has been spent by the developers.

The taxpayer has commited millions that could easily be spent elsewhere, not least in funding an event centre in Cork that could actually be built. An explanation is required.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Michael..

Given that this project is partly funded by the taxpayer they could at least inform us about what exactly is going on - be it positive or otherwise.

Just on the news there that the cba want to know when it's starting.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Just on the news there that the cba want to know when it's starting.
    It'd be nice if they reported that so do the majority of the county

Saw trucks in there today some activity but again may just be related to the capitol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭housetypeb

Saw today that they have blocks stacked in the open area on the river side of the building, but I'm guessing that they're using the area as an off site storage area for the Capitol job as the Event center isn't ready for any block work yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Michael..

Unfortunately there's sweet feck all happening on the site. They're basically using it as storage / offices for The Capitol site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

The CBA requested an update this week and were told last night that planning was well under way and that contracts were still being signed. I could swear Iv heard all this before, or that work was due to start in three weeks, back in January, or that then it was definitely going to start after Easter. What a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

They are still signing contracts? I swear they have been signing those contracts for years now. You'd think Enda wouldn't have turned that "sod" until all the contracts were actually signed and it was a done deal.

Thought all the design was done and the financial aspects sorted!

"Contracts have all been signed"

"Work beginning is a matter of weeks away"

"Everyone on board and ready to go"

How many more lies will we see until the inevitable headline "LIVE NATION PULL OUT OF EVENT CENTER"

You mean politicians told lies during an election campaign....well I never!

Just to highlight the level of BS the public are being fed on this from last November http://www.eveningecho.ie/cork-news/event-centre-works-to-start-by-christmas/1290395/

"You could count the minor issues left on less than one hand."......... yeah, tell us another one Simon.....

• Advertisement

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Just to highlight the level of BS the public are being fed on this from last November http://www.eveningecho.ie/cork-news/event-centre-works-to-start-by-christmas/1290395/

"You could count the minor issues left on less than one hand."......... yeah, tell us another one Simon.....

People need to come clean on this now. Clearly everything was not in order at the launch. Clearly it is not in order now. Government ministers have been silent on this since the election. It served its purpose and now wiping hands of it. Evening Echo and Irish Examiner seem to be swallowing every half-truth un questioning. Who is asking the hard questions?

Advertisement