Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Events Centre

Options
1596061626365»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Well ,o'callaghan was contracted to build it over 20 years ago , as part of buying land mahon point from city council -

He held on for years ,- then pulled out of the deal ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The absolute utter farce that is the cork events centre has a new chapter. Just bin the thing at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

My goodness the dodging of questions there is quite something. We are entitled to some transparency...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

Does anyone have a ballpark figure of how many events a year would it realistically host?

I'm guessing it can do daytime events and conferences also like Comic con and whatnot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,546 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Its not financially viable in the current climate of touring.

Arenas in the UK are losing alot of money because less and less acts are touring indoors.

Alot of artists are concentrating on open air summer shows, Covid changed the model.

Its just a PR exercise at this stage, the venue won't go ahead.

It could have been built years ago for half the cost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,355 ✭✭✭ofcork

It will probably be in the region of 65 or 70 million from the government at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

Are you sure?

If you look at other indoor arenas, they're doing fine like the Point, Belfast, Manchester, Brixton etc.

People don't want outdoor gigs for most of the year in Ireland or UK.

Summer festivals are normally at the weekend so indoor arenas can book acts for during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,068 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

If they'd just got it done they'd have built 2 arenas for the price at this stage. Construction costs are not going to come down. The more you wait and see, the costlier it gets. Also have to say that the current City Council CEO is an absolute disaster. Has overseen a significant decline in Cork City centre during her tenure, the events centre saga being the cherry on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

She was a disgrace on Primetime last night when interviewed by Fran McNulty about it. Wouldn't share new figures with him, came across as a bit smug and arrogant.

If I had a magic wand I'd move the Cork Museum into a new building where the Event Centre is supposed to go because then it'd be bang in the middle of the historic core of the city and then move the Event Centre to a site on the docklands with easy train and bus access.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,068 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Yeah. I'd also revamp the bonded warehouses into some sort of maritime museum/experience with restaurants and bars. Great location but being left to crumble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭DylanQuestion

The Counting House would be a great spot for the new City Centre Library and Museum

The event centre site and (possibly still) the counting house ,plus the tax office site (up for sale) are wholly owned by bam - no city or state ownership .. i'm not sure who "owns" the event centre project itself as the city has paid over a million euros out in development costs , which seemed a bit bonkers to me -

The port of cork bonded warehouses are probably in limbo - yes they were sold to a developer, but that development isnt going anywhere in a hurry , and who knows if the site has actually been paid for -

The way things are going the north docks may come up as a option ,

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

I've no idea why the Government are funding what is essentially a private project.

They should build and pay for a venue themselves but retain ownership and have Livenation run it for them, thats the standard practice in the UK and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Agree totally. It's common sense which isn't all that common unfortunately with goverments sometimes. Live nation have massive clout. Have it goverment owned it doesn't have to make a profit they'll get the money through tax receipts via hospitality revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Live Nation own the 3 arena in Dublin which also got enormous government subsidies for construction.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

Any link to the government subsidies for construction

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭rebs23

Plenty of grants and subsidies to the Bord Gais Energy Theatre and to the National Convention Center, Croke Park, Aviva and Tallaght stadium. Extension of Luas to 3 Arena to facilitate transportation to and fro the venue. Billions invested in similar facilities so let’s get this over the line for Cork.

"Lets get this over the line.... "

Its not really on bams priority list -

They can hang on and wait for more funding ,theres an election coming - especially since theyre billing cork city council for at least a good chunk of design costs -

If it doesnt happen they'll prob put in for more student accommodation on the site

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

My apologies - it wasn't city council and design fees - it was department of tourisim for legal and management costs ,

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

I didnt realise that Heineken had withdrawn from the project and sold the site to BAM. Thats disappointing.

The Government should not be giving anymore money to BAM after the debacle of the Childrens Hospital, they are untrustworthy.

"Up to 15,000 people a week will be required to attend concerts, theatre shows, conferences, exhibitions, and banquets in the Cork event centre to make it a commercial success."

750k people a year, pie in the sky thinking anywhere near those numbers are attainable.

The 3Arena in Dublin had 567k visitors in 2023.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭rebs23

Heineken sold the site years ago! As for BAM and the National Children’s Hospital site another example of massive funding being available for projects in Dublin. Did you ever hear about the 10,000 change orders on that project and who is responsible for them?

Advertisement