Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Events Centre

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

Evening traffic in the area is a serious problem. It can take 15-20 minutes to drive through this relatively short stretch in the evening. My issue is what effect extra traffic will have on this problem.

That's a pretty unfair assessment given the number of small businesses in the area trying their best. The place badly needs some work but to describe is as 'largely derelict' is bordering on the offensive.

As regards, some of your other points, no, I do not expect that all patrons will expect to park at the event centre and that was not the point I was making. I was suggesting that those not parking there but being delivered there by public transport, taxis, friends, parents, rickshaw(?) will be contributing to and also being caught up in this evening traffic mess. Anybody walking past a school at closing time will get the idea. You can (and should) provide all the public transport you want, but ultimately a percentage of people will take the private option.

The plans are for 3-4 events a week. Lots of people live and work in the area or travel through there to return home. You may not but others have to.

Fair points on traffic, but there is a wider context - and that is that city centres by definition experience congestion, but this is not a reason to prevent appropriate developments. I think your characterisation of the area's traffic problems are disproportionate to the scale of the problem. South Main Street has local congestion issues, but what city centre street doesn't? The event centre will improve footfall dramatically and increase local traffic volumes at the same time - on balance that is a positive result.

Please do not take offence at me describing the area as derelict! It is a simple and accurate representation of the state of land uses and activity on the area. About 45% of all the land between South Gate Bridge and Washington Street is entirely derelict. This fact has nothing to do with the number of small businesses struggling, whom I have a lot of respect for; in fact I really like this area, but its physical appearance is shameful. Please don't seek offense where none exists or is implied.

On your final point regarding traffic congestion - YES - people coming into the event centre will be in traffic! What's your suggested alternative? - a green field site? There is no logic in an out of town location for an urban use such as this. These uses are increasingly being situated right in the heart of city centres - that's what often happens in cities, they increasingly become the focus of increasing concentrations of activities - retail, businesses, food, pubs, entertainment, culture - regardless of traffic. So what if there is traffic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

I knew we shouldn't have gotten into this again ;)

You'll see from my previous posts that I am in favour (indeed, very much belligerently in favour) of this development going ahead. That's despite the problems it brings with it.
    I'm certainly not in favour of a green field site and nor did I suggest it. On the balance of things, I would have favoured the OCP proposal at Albert Quay. That wasn't to be and so this alternative receives the full, official MrTea seal of approval.
    I also agree that if we considered all traffic as a negative then nothing would ever get built. However, I don't have your same level of faith in the developers, operators and gardai to ensure that there will be little short of chaos (albeit local chaos) on event nights.
    I've been through there when the Oktoberfest is on. Traffic is very badly handled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

If they were smart, South Main Street/Tuckey Street would be closed to non-public transport traffic on event nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

I knew we shouldn't have gotten into this again ;)

You'll see from my previous posts that I am in favour (indeed, very much belligerently in favour) of this development going ahead. That's despite the problems it brings with it.
    I'm certainly not in favour of a green field site and nor did I suggest it. On the balance of things, I would have favoured the OCP proposal at Albert Quay. That wasn't to be and so this alternative receives the full, official Nancy Unkempt Shop seal of approval.
    I also agree that if we considered all traffic as a negative then nothing would ever get built. However, I don't have your same level of faith in the developers, operators and gardai to ensure that there will be little short of chaos (albeit local chaos) on event nights.
    I've been through there when the Oktoberfest is on. Traffic is very badly handled.

Fair enough - I like the concept of one being ''belligerently in favour'' of something. I was of the view that the Albert Quay location would bring very few benefits to the city centre and that the event centre was probably the only solution to the South Main Street area. The wider issue in traffic terms is that South Main Street is used as a through route - an artery for carrying traffic north-south - this brings zero benefit to the street and in fact degrades its commercial character. If the land uses improve, footfall levels increase and the street becomes a more vibrant place, this will encourage a more satisfactory traffic solution (traffic calming). The street should not simply be used or seen as a road for carrying cars out of the city centre. It should be a destination.

Couldn't agree with you more. I loath the fact that the historic spine of the old city is basically a commuter route.
    Why don't we pedestrianise North and South Main Streets? I don't know if that was considered in the latest round of traffic management changes but as a principle to aspire to, I think it's a good one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭P.lane78

How is this development going ...are BAM tearing through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,355 ✭✭✭ofcork

Not exactly!!

ofcork wrote: »
    Not exactly!!

jeez ....how long ago is the sod turning :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

P.lane78 wrote: »
    jeez ....how long ago is the sod turning :D

In time for a general election amazingly enough ;).

Hopefully now that Loftus are almost finished in The Capitol site, they might move over to The Event Centre soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭thomil

Just passing by there. Activity at the rear of the site. Apparently , heavy machinery, and a number of guys in hazmat suits, probably stripping out the buildings. I'm posting from my mobile, so I can't upload images.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Advertisement

There must be asbestos in there if they have hazardous suits on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭blindsider

Asbestos would be common enough I'd say. it was widely used once upon a time.

good to hear that there's something happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭thomil

Here are some images I took when I passed by there this afternoon. There's more activity than can be seen from the images, but I didn't want to stand around too much, snapping pictures like a fool.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭blindsider

Saw the telescopic handler thingy in there today as I passed by. A couple of other bits and pieces also. Looked to me like it was a slow beginning, but it's great to see something happen.

Very hopeful now......?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Good that things are moving but my concern is that it could be held up by what they find there archeologically there. It's in a very old part of the city near one of the old gates of the city in south gate bridge.

The tender for the demolition of the site is going out I thought loftus would have had that.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The tender for the demolition of the site is going out I thought loftus would have had that.

I thought they had it as well. I was sure they had it.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Good that things are moving but my concern is that it could be held up by what they find there archeologically there. It's in a very old part of the city near one of the old gates of the city in south gate bridge.

You can take it as a given that there will be major archeologically excavations on that site, that city car park opposite this site was done a few years ago and that took about 2 years just for the archeologists. No wonder there was so much politics involved in this.

Who released the tender for the demolition of the buildings?

Haven't been around town in ages. Has there been any progress on this?

Haven't been around town in ages. Has there been any progress on this?

a few more site office containers are on the site. Otherwise, nada.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭moyners

What date is the tender for demolition due to close? Prob won't see anything till after that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Another white elephant?

a few more site office containers are on the site. Otherwise, nada.

Thanks. Is that not just site offices for the Capitol? There doesn't seem to be a site office on the capitol site.

Thanks. Is that not just site offices for the Capitol? There doesn't seem to be a site office on the capitol site.

Not sure, but BAM have said they are currently tendering for demolition work, which will take "weeks".

Not sure, but BAM have said they are currently tendering for demolition work, which will take "weeks".

Well we all know that time seems to drag on, where the event centre is concerned http://www.eveningecho.ie/cork-news/coveney-event-centre-to-start-in-a-month/1547714/
    Looking forward to the latest holding press release from our new Minister for Housing, Planning and Local Government on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Michael..

Anybody know what the deal with this is ? Really starting to doubt it at this stage. Feck all happening on site.

Just reading the echo and they are saying it will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Michael..

Just reading the echo and they are saying it will happen.

Any inkling of a start date ?

Any day!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,765 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Two weeks!

Advertisement