Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Events Centre

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭P.lane78

Any news on this?
    Passed there recently and nothing has changed. Lots of BAM stuff for the capitol but nothing else going on. Weren't we promised a timetable for work to begin and progress? That seems to have been forgotten.

You can forget about this one imo ...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Dead duck?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

I hear what you're saying but if it was a dead duck, why aren't we simple told as much?
    There is no advantage for anyone at this point to drag this out any further. In fact, politically, the early this project implodes, the more water can be put between it and any upcoming election.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

I hear what you're saying but if it was a dead duck, why aren't we simple told as much?
    There is no advantage for anyone at this point to drag this out any further. In fact, politically, the early this project implodes, the more water can be put between it and any upcoming election.

I heard BAM have signed a contract to build a bridge for that. Enda and Simon will down for a sod turning ceremony next week!

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    I heard BAM have signed a contract to build a bridge for that. Enda and Simon will down for a sod turning ceremony next week!

Its a shame really, I was really looking forward to the new events centre, at least we can look forward to a new pairc ui chaoimh that has to pay for itself through a lot of concerts hopefully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭ofcork

Yeah Adele and Garth Brooks coming according to the lord mayor probably as likely as the event centre!

ofcork wrote: »
    Yeah Adele and Garth Brooks coming according to the lord mayor probably as likely as the event centre!

Probably BS about Adele and Garth Brooks to be honest at this stage ....but at least the stadium will be there and they will need to fill it to pay it off ....I was just pondering, how did Enda and Simon miss a nice sod turning set piece at the start of the PUC redevelopment. Maybe Mr Murphy and the county board wouldnt stand for Enda and the boys equipped new hi vis vests, new shovels and cheesy smiles.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭kub

P.lane78 wrote: »
    Probably BS about Adele and Garth Brooks to be honest at this stage ....but at least the stadium will be there and they will need to fill it to pay it off ....I was just pondering, how did Enda and Simon miss a nice sod turning set piece at the start of the PUC redevelopment. Maybe Mr Murphy and the county board wouldnt stand for Enda and the boys equipped new hi vis vests, new shovels and cheesy smiles.

He actually wanted the project to be real

kub wrote: »
    He actually wanted the project to be real

True ...The sod turning kiss of death :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,139 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Election wasn't around the corner when PUC started. Event Centre was perfect timing for an election photo op. Coveney should be embarrassed to allow that to happen. But I doubt he is.

• Advertisement

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Election wasn't around the corner when PUC started. Event Centre was perfect timing for an election photo op. Coveney should be embarrassed to allow that to happen. But I doubt he is.

If and its a major If, this gov makes it to full term you can be sure, the events centre, Macroom bypass, Cork- limerick motorway will be taken out of FGs back pocket, dusted off and proceed to the initial stage ....the obligatory fat cat sod turning shindig. After the front page Echo spread filled with optimism, will never be heard of again or until vote catching season is upon us again. The audacity of it is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Probably BS about Adele and Garth Brooks to be honest at this stage ....but at least the stadium will be there and they will need to fill it to pay it off ....

They'll use if for Irelands Rugby world cup bid and benefit from that no doubt - I don't see too many gigs occurring in PUC - hope I'm wrong on that but you don't see many gigs taking place in Thurles & other recently developed GAA stadiums
    If and its a major If, this gov makes it to full term you can be sure, the events centre, Macroom bypass, Cork- limerick motorway will be taken out of FGs back pocket, dusted off and proceed to the initial stage ....the obligatory fat cat sod turning shindig. After the front page Echo spread filled with optimism, will never be heard of again or until vote catching season is upon us again. The audacity of it is amazing.

This - If the funds aren't there anymore, if there's issues with the setup, problems between parties involved etc. - then be up front about it, this shít of lying through your teeth in politics, constantly trying to positively spin things instead of being frank, to the point and open is why politicians will never fully garner my attention.

Well said ...if it was the private sector heads would roll

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

Well said ...if it was the private sector heads would roll

It is the private sector. BAM are the developer, Live Nation the operator. The state and local government are part funding it. To my knowledge, they are not the cause of the delay.

However, I agree with all the sentiment here regarding the cynical politicisation of this, including the sod-turning ceremony. It appears as if that may have been done with the knowledge that the site was in fact not being developed immediately. A politician with integrity would have not allowed himself be put in that position; it was dishonest and a corruption of the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

Have a read of this. The Echo just missed a fantastic chance to really grill the City Manager on the Event Centre and all they did was accept a pathetic non-answer. What a farce.

http://www.eveningecho.ie/cork-news/interview-cork-city-council-chief-executive-ann-doherty-multinational-companies-breathing-life-city-centre/2506577/

Bit off topic i know but the artists etc in the old fas office have to be out in 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

Why is that, what's going on over there?

Fabio wrote: »
    Why is that, what's going on over there?

last I heard its going to be a new hotel

Bam Ireland are doing this next after the capitol ...the beamish site will come in handy for site offices and storage ....they are lucky to have it :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Yknow what'd get people to fill that hotel.....events in the city centre, but lets build the hotel first

I hope to god in ten years I'm not bemoaning the fact that there's still fúck all going on in this city. There's minor events, you've to go searching for them, they're not advertised. The city is apparently booming but you look at what's new around the place and it's restaurants & coffee shops - which is great, but a recession comes and they're the first to fold, yeah there'll be more office blocks, but Cork is a city that is seriously lacking in services/things to do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

last I heard its going to be a new hotel

They'll have a grand view of the winos taking a sh*t out the back in Cove Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭cardinal tetra

Why do they all congregate there? The amount of times I've gone by and there will be either someone having a dump or else an ambulance down the side street. If you lived around there, you would be in constant shock of someone shooting up or taking a number 2 on your doorstep. Sickening.

More development going ahead on western road as planning approved for student apartments on old esso site by uk company,wonder what happened as reardens owner planned to do the same a few years ago.

Does anybody know if the event centre developers have applied to extend their planning permission? Doesn't it run out at the end of this year?
    Also, weren't the developers due to meet the city councillors? Has that happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,985 ✭✭✭opus

Doesn't look like it from the planning application, expires Dec 22nd.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,139 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

opus wrote: »

That'll be the end of it then. Planning will expire and all the parties involved will disappear into the shadows.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    That'll be the end of it then. Planning will expire and all the parties involved will disappear into the shadows.

Enda and Simon will flip the sod back into place , pat it down and leg it back to Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭rebs23

opus wrote: »

An application has been made to extend the planning for another 5 years

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

rebs23 wrote: »
    An application has been made to extend the planning for another 5 years

You sure? I heard that too but didn't confirm it.

• Advertisement

"In accordance with the Planning and Development Regulations 2001- 2010 (as amended), the following requirements apply:-

(a) An application to extend the Duration of a planning permission may be duly made prior to the end of the appropriate period.

(b) An application for an Extension of Duration can be entertained only where:

(i). Substantial works are carried out or will be carried out pursuant to the permission before the expiration of the appropriate period

Or

(ii)Information is supplied regarding the considerations of a commercial, economic or technical nature beyond the control of the applicant which substantially militated against the commencement of the development or the carrying out of substantial works."

I presume the developers are going to go with option two. The application also needs to state when they expect the development to be started and completed by. It would be good if media and/or elected officials pushed to see this application as it doesn't appear on the planning website.

Advertisement