Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Events Centre

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭clerk

rob316 wrote: »
    They are at again today, few more bodies on site. Still all looks a bit pointless.

PR.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,985 ✭✭✭opus

Still just the one digger on site, looks like some stuff has been demolished anyway.

244wh8w.jpg

As well, here's the new planning application. Looks like student apartments are the new in-thing, too bad about the work/live units which sound like a nicer alternative to me.

2qbsson.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

I wonder does the reduction in retail space spell the end of the planned cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭calnand

That's a different part of the scheme, it's included in the brewery experience part in the old counting house and I haven't seen anything about that part change since the initial application.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

These are exciting times for Cork and these developments will reinforce our position as the only true counterbalance to Dublin imo.Other cities with delusions of grandeur need to get real and realise that they have enough on their plate trying to hold on to their status as the third most important city in this state.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,538 ✭✭✭kub

These are exciting times for Cork and these developments will reinforce our position as the only true counterbalance to Dublin imo.Other cities with delusions of grandeur need to get real and realise that they have enough on their plate trying to hold on to their status as the third most important city in this state.

We have a very long way to go before we are a counter balance to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭rebs23

kub wrote: »
    We have a very long way to go before we are a counter balance to Dublin.
    I think we are getting there. To put it simply Cork City and suburbs (metro area) is bigger than the combined populations of the next three Irish cities metro areas put together. Total population of Cork is 542,000 with lots of people commuting from catchment areas in Waterford, Tipperary, Kerry and Limerick.
    We have one the highest GVA's in the country, a great mix of industries, a great leisure and lifestyle offering, great food and a great food culture, the sea and mountains nearby, easily one of the most diverse places and the highest rate of immigration per head of population in Ireland.
    There's still a long way to go but nowhere else in Ireland has the capacity or potential to act as a "counterbalance" to the Dublin region.
    The Event Centre will help enormously.
    Terrible word "counterbalance" implies a negative, should be something like.....?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,985 ✭✭✭opus

Walked past it at lunchtime earlier, they really are finally making a start on the demolition.

k1qjc5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

I'll save the excitement for when something starts to be built there, however it's progress after months of nothing happening so we'll take that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Their continued division of "demolition work" and "construction work" tells me that this is nothing more than a stunt. I would be very very surprised if it kicked off straight after demolition was complete. However, if they are aware of a big delay coming up in the next few months, they should plan to complete demolition fully and start the archaeological dig because this is something that will take months either way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭Fabio

Yep, I'd be worried about that division of the work as well. Both mean very different things. Here's hoping...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

Fabio wrote: »
    Yep, I'd be worried about that division of the work as well. Both mean very different things. Here's hoping...

I'm glad to see demolition on a serious scale but a lot will tell after the upcoming meeting how far or quickly this will move. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭P.lane78

I'm glad to see demolition on a serious scale but a lot will tell after the upcoming meeting how far or quickly this will move. Fingers crossed.

When is this meeting due Mr Tea?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭BrianJD

I meet the builders from the Capitol builders from BAM daily and the welders will be moving over shortly once they are signed off the Capitol.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,690 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

CHealy wrote: »
    Their continued division of "demolition work" and "construction work" tells me that this is nothing more than a stunt. I would be very very surprised if it kicked off straight after demolition was complete. However, if they are aware of a big delay coming up in the next few months, they should plan to complete demolition fully and start the archaeological dig because this is something that will take months either way.

Yeah the archaeological part will take months but I'm also very exited to see what they find as it could be a big part of corks history. I mean I know that beamish and Crawford opened in 1792 and I know they purchased a site that had been brewing on since the 1600s but I don't know if the two sites are the same place.

Anyway my point was imagine a site in a city that hasn't been dug up or developed outside of its original use for nearly 400 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Anyway my point was imagine a site in a city that hasn't been dug up or developed outside of its original use for nearly 400 years.

Deep South? Sir Henrys first opened there in 1606 I'm sure :pac:

Is the demolition still taking place? .....finished ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭ofcork

Still going on as of yesterday I see a government department are concerned about the archaeological side of it this is going to take years.

ofcork wrote: »
    Still going on as of yesterday I see a government department are concerned about the archaeological side of it this is going to take years.

Music to Simons ears !!!!:D Save the blushes

• Advertisement

It was discussed a while back on this thread but never got to the bottom of it:
    Does anybody know if the developers have extended their planning permission - which is due to expire in a few weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,144 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

It was discussed a while back on this thread but never got to the bottom of it:
    Does anybody know if the developers have extended their planning permission - which is due to expire in a few weeks?

Nothing on the planning search on the city council website anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Nothing on the planning search on the city council website anyway.

The proposed amendments to the existing permission might be a de facto extension of time, but I am not sure really.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,144 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

mire wrote: »
    The proposed amendments to the existing permission might be a de facto extension of time, but I am not sure really.

The application is on line and the changes to existing planning relate to Zone A which is in the north of the site. The Event Centre is in Zone C which is not part of the application. It may be in there somewhere but I couldn't find any mention of applying for retention of anything outside Zone A.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭Fabio

Would that mean they can work away on that zone and there wouldn't be too much of a delay?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭ofcork

Owner of Soho on with Neil this morning saying still miles away from being done article on examiner today too.

I dare to say, that if o Callaghan got the 20 million for the location down by city hall then we would be nearly booking tickets for shows at this stage. After losing out on the bid he has already got planning through for a substantial office development on the site in the time as a few corrugated iron sheds have been demolished at beamish and crawfords. The owner of soho backed the wrong horse here im afraid based purely on proximity to his premises. Again I hope i am proved wrong but I doubt it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

P.lane78 wrote: »
    I dare to say, that if o Callaghan got the 20 million for the location down by city hall then we would be nearly booking tickets for shows at this stage. After losing out on the bid he has already got planning through for a substantial office development on the site in the time as a few corrugated iron sheds have been demolished at beamish and crawfords. The owner of soho backed the wrong horse here im afraid based purely on proximity to his premises. Again I hope i am proved wrong but I doubt it.

Not exactly true. The event centre is receiving state aid, so the delivery of the centre wouldn't be as quick as the office block going there now, which is purely a private project.

Still prefer the regeneration of the beamish site to breathe new life into that part of the city centre, but this really is a bloody saga at this stage!

Not exactly true. The event centre is receiving state aid, so the delivery of the centre wouldn't be as quick as the office block going there now, which is purely a private project.

Still prefer the regeneration of the beamish site to breathe new life into that part of the city centre, but this really is a bloody saga at this stage!

Unfortunately the only new life around the event centre site is foxes and vermin running around the sod that Enda and Simon turned over for them :D

• Advertisement

It's a real Shakespearean tragedy at this point. One undelivered promise after another.
    I don't buy the idea that just because this is publicly-funded (in part) that it should or would be necessarily any slower than a privately-funded project. That being said, I am confident that if O'Callaghan or Cleary were behind this, they would be at least half built by now.

Advertisement