Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annoying Gym Behaviour - Mk2(?)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

kknitter wrote: »
    Guy came into dumbbells area and got 16 dumbbells of varying weights and placed all around him like he was using all of them together... no one could use them and people could see he had them still didn't ask to borrow :mad:
    I asked him for couple and he was like "Bring it back" like he owned them.. so annoyed.. He does this every bleeding day :mad:

Superset dropsets?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,734 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

idnkph wrote: »
    A big EE lad in my gym comes in and takes over whatever he feels he wants to use. If there is someone there he usually stands around trying to intimidate them by keeping asking are you finish now.
    He came over to me one day when I was doing squats and asked the question " are you finish now?". I had one more set to do but decided to annoy him and keep him waiting.
    So after 3 more sets and him hovvering around he moved away totally pissed off with me and groaning to himself he went and started some ez curls.
    Another small skinny lad came over and asked was I nearly done and I gladly said yeah go ahead.
    You could see the roid rage building up in him. I was delighted because the small lad I know to be a grumpy fecker. When he came over to him saying I was next the wee lad told him to f**k off.
    Next couple of days I could barely walk but I would gladly do the same again to see that arrogant piece of toilet paper react like that again.
    Now he just stays away from me.

Nice rant, Are you finish now?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

A big EE lad in my gym comes in and takes over whatever he feels he wants to use. If there is someone there he usually stands around trying to intimidate them by keeping asking are you finish now.
    He came over to me one day when I was doing squats and asked the question " are you finish now?". I had one more set to do but decided to annoy him and keep him waiting.
    So after 3 more sets and him hovvering around he moved away totally pissed off with me and groaning to himself he went and started some ez curls.
    Another small skinny lad came over and asked was I nearly done and I gladly said yeah go ahead.
    You could see the roid rage building up in him. I was delighted because the small lad I know to be a grumpy fecker. When he came over to him saying I was next the wee lad told him to f**k off.
    Next couple of days I could barely walk but I would gladly do the same again to see that arrogant piece of toilet paper react like that again.

You sound like a delightful young man.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,557 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

So he asked if you were nearly finished and you decided to stay on longer and then let someone else use the rack?

Did you think he was the annoying one in the gym?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

And you couldn't invite him to work in with you?.. You might have even learned something ~ like manners ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭idnkph

Dtp1979 wrote:
    Nice rant, Are you finish now?

Nope still Irish. Just wanted to annoy him as he annoys everyone else. But seems all you lads think his behaviour is ok.
    Maybe change the thread title to " acting the nob in the gym is ok instead".
    I'll leave you lads alone in it

Nope still Irish. Just wanted to annoy him as he annoys everyone else. But seems all you lads think his behaviour is ok.

No one said his behaviour was ok. Just that you acted like a knob.

'Don't be a dick' is a rule I live by. Being a dick to somehow prove a point doesn't make it more noble.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

No one said his behaviour was ok. Just that you acted like a knob.

'Don't be a dick' is a rule I live by. Being a dick to somehow prove a point doesn't make it more noble.

Ah here. There is an ancient and worthwhile tradition of trolling assholes with very high opinions of themselves. Personally I liked the story. Go round badgering and trying to intimidate people I'm happy for everyone else to gang up against you.

Zillah wrote: »
    Ah here. There is an ancient and worthwhile tradition of trolling assholes with very high opinions of themselves. Personally I liked the story. Go round badgering and trying to intimidate people I'm happy for everyone else to gang up against you.

We'll agree to disagree so. Hovering and asking I'd you're finished isn't the same as badgering and intimidating. All you need to do is finish what you'd intended to as you'd intended to.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

Had a funny one there today.

The gym I frequent is quite small, it's usually very quiet but naturally sometimes it's going to get crowded.

I was doing some work on the treadmill when a young woman who comes in done up to the nines with makeup starts to shoot me some daggers. I'm on her favourite machine and all the rest are in use too. After a minute or so she strolls over and says "Shouldn't you be over in the weights section?" I'm sort of taken aback and just give a confused "What?" in return. She goes on to 'inform' me that men don't need to do cardio and I should finish up.

I didn't know whether to be offended or fall off the treadmill laughing.

• Advertisement

Hanley wrote:
    You sound like a delightful young man.

I am. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

We'll agree to disagree so. Hovering and asking I'd you're finished isn't the same as badgering and intimidating. All you need to do is finish what you'd intended to as you'd intended to.

Ok but we weren't there, and the guy who was there says he is always trying to intimidate people and bully them off equipment, so unless we've got more info we may as well take him at his word.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

There's a big difference in the people who ask you to let them know when you are done and people who hover around asking every few minutes. I often see people cave in and just let them use them because they are put off by a guy standing at their shoulder and always at them. Kinda hard to know what the guy is like without being there.

Not exactly 'Annoying Gym Behavior ~ but the idiots who'll drive around the car park for fifteen minutes trying to get parking as close to the door as possible to save walking that extra 20 meters ~ then probably gets on a threadmill :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

And you couldn't invite him to work in with you?.. You might have even learned something ~ like manners ;)

how could he learn manners off somebody who had none?

arayess wrote: »
    how could he learn manners off somebody who had none?

Well I'm not getting into it because in hindsight frankly I think the story is a complete spoof.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

Well I'm not getting into it because in hindsight frankly I think the story is a complete spoof.

ok.
    kinda weird one would make up a story cos people are pretty bad at the best of times one wouldn't struggle for a story

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

arayess wrote: »
    ok.
    kinda weird one would make up a story cos people are pretty bad at the best of times one wouldn't struggle for a story

Hi, welcome to the internet...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

This is one of those 2 wrongs don't make a right scenarios! Yeh, I'm sure the guy is annoying and his behaviour is not ok. Your response was to be annoying back to him (quote: "Just wanted to annoy him") and as behaviour goes, telling a guy you weren't finished yet, then letting another guy skip the Q, is not ok either.

This is one of those 2 wrongs don't make a right scenarios! Yeh, I'm sure the guy is annoying and his behaviour is not ok. Your response was to be annoying back to him (quote: "Just wanted to annoy him") and as behaviour goes, telling a guy you weren't finished yet, then letting another guy skip the Q, is not ok either.

. I wasn't going to let his bully boy tactics work on me. Iv seen him do it time and time again on others.
    I'm always respectful and mannerly to those who deserve it.
    Respect and manners are a 2 way street. When people are not giving me respect our manners they won't get it back.
    It doesn't mean I'm not a delightful young man.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

I wasn't going to let his bully boy tactics work on me.

By the sounds of it, they did. You got riled up, wasted your own time doing extra sets and felt pain the next day because of it.... That'll show'm!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭TripleAce

The worst for me is to see people not carrying a towel with them to clean up their sweat from the bench/machine after use.

By the sounds of it, they did. You got riled up, wasted your own time doing extra sets and felt pain the next day because of it.... That'll show'm!

Didn't get riled up at all. It was all done calmly by myself and I would do it again in an instant to see the reaction again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

Not quite annoying, but I never understand people deadlifting with collars on, where there is zero danger of them not making the rep.

For example last night a lad was deadlifting with his training partner in FF swords. He had a green and yellow plate either side while she was just using the green plate.

After each set they had to take the collars off, take a plate off or put it on and reapply the collars. Needless time and energy wasting!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

VW 1 wrote: »
    Not quite annoying, but I never understand people deadlifting with collars on, where there is zero danger of them not making the rep.

coz its safer?

i wouldnt put a collar on if im alone so if i get stuck i can slide them off but if ive a spotter its definitely safer... one wobble and you can get seriously hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

coz its safer?

i wouldnt put a collar on if im alone so if i get stuck i can slide them off but if ive a spotter its definitely safer... one wobble and you can get seriously hurt.

Wait what? So when you're alone you don't use collars which would make it safer but when you have a spotter you would use collars??? This seems backwards. Also how doy ou spot a deadlift? If you fail it you dump the bar. Easy.

And he did say with zero danger of missing a rep.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

VW 1 wrote: »

For example last night a lad was deadlifting with his training partner in FF swords. He had a green and yellow plate either side while she was just using the green plate.

After each set they had to take the collars off, take a plate off or put it on and reapply the collars. Needless time and energy wasting!

For me it depends on the condition of the plates. I absolutely hate if the Plates are rattling on the bar as it's lifted off the ground. The collars keep them tight together. That said, I only put the collars on for the works sets.

I admit it is a little OCD.

Nate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

For me it depends on the condition of the plates. I absolutely hate if the Plates are rattling on the bar as it's lifted off the ground. The collars keep them tight together. That said, I only put the collars on for the works sets.

But how do you assert your dominance then!?

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Also how doy ou spot a deadlift?

You have to get really strong at barbell curls first but it's doable...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Wait what? So when you're alone you don't use collars which would make it safer but when you have a spotter you would use collars??? This seems backwards. Also how doy ou spot a deadlift? If you fail it you dump the bar. Easy.

And he did say with zero danger of missing a rep.

i didnt say i do it for deadlifts? :confused:

i use collars because things can slip and rattle and slide around...

if im on my own lifting i wont because if i fail and it drops i can at least slide to one side and they will slip off when benching...

and ive seen newbies getting spotted for deadlifting, just standing behind them making sure things arnt curving where they shouldnt be etc

Advertisement