Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annoying Gym Behaviour - Mk2(?)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

Cake Man wrote: »
    There’s a few characters in my gym, I’d actually love to get a few videos to show. One fella, let’s call him “Brah Guy”, is the most obnoxious, insufferable and overbearing d!ckhead I’ve ever come across. Don’t get me wrong, he has a really good body with plenty of muscle but if he was a chocolate bar, he’d have eaten himself long ago. Tattooed sleeves and legs like a colouring book and the baseball cap plastered on back to front.
    Brah Guy likes to sing out his sh!tty rap music that he listens to, I’m not talking just humming or quietly singing but belting out the lyrics. When lifting a weight, he always roars out a few “YEAH, YEAH, YEAH” for each rep. After a set, he usually roars out “Wooooooo!!!” and “fcuk yeah bro!!!”. The whole gym can actually hear him. In between sets, he’ll start talking to anyone about how much “in the zone” he is and how this is “his time” while giving unsolicited advice to others. Then going up to the mirror and either posing as if he was at a competition or lifting up his shirt and nodding in a satisfied demeanour at his abs. I’m not even joking! Constantly all over women in the gym trying to hit on them. Will sometimes intentionally move right in front of you doing sets to somehow try undermine you and show how much better he is. He was on the phone one day last week roaring down the phone at someone because they didn’t come training with him – his talking is a normal persons shouting.
    Are there any rules of etiquette regarding just generally being a dick and making unnecessary noise in a gym? If so, this clown is surely in breach of them.

Ask him does he even lift.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

Roxee wrote: »
    One for the girls if I may.... (I'm a girl, I can say it...). The ones who are there purely for the chance to wear barely anything and to be looked at by blokes. They're easy to spot because during and after every move their priority is always looking around to see who's looking at them. Incredibly cringe.

And honourable mention for the three girls I saw recently come out of the changing room wearing tiny and expensive looking gear, crowd around the mirrored wall just next to where I was, take pouty selfies for a stupidly long time (presumably share their ferocious workout moment on FB) then go back into the changing room, then head off. I was so depressed in that moment.

Luckily though, most women I see are there for themselves and no one else, are tough as fook and are just quietly getting on with it, which is deadly.

Remember this one had the full blown mascara going on and once she started sweating, she looked like the Joker out of Batman.

Whats the point like?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Mellor wrote: »
    Too warm for a t-shirt in ireland, lol

You try Macken St when it's sunny. Man.

In related news Top Man are doing 2-for-15 tank tops in plain black, white, and grey right now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Zillah wrote: »
    You try Macken St when it's sunny. Man.

In related news Top Man are doing 2-for-15 tank tops in plain black, white, and grey right now.

2 more tops to sit in my gym bag unworn so #freethenipple

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Yer Aul One

Whats people's opinions on this. (Mellor-FF Spring St so you know where I am referring to)

In the gym there is a prowler track and a free area with battle ropes, trx, medicine balls etc. There are circuit classes scheduled at peak times that use this area (free classes). The prowler track is two lanes wide. During a class I noticed the class weren't using both lanes of the prowler track so I jumped on to do some lunges. A gym trainer came over and gave out to me and told me to get out of the class area.

I am borderline on this, don't have full conviction I was in the right but should classes get free reign on communal gym areas?

There really wasn't anywhere else I could do walking lunges at the time, I ended up having to do stationary ones in the free weight area, not a massive impact I know but wanted to see people's take.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,069 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I think I know the exact guy you are talking about tbh. Asian looking guy and/or blonde italian chick?

You definitely you should be able use the sled track if it's spare. But it's also the case that sometimes there might be one person on the prowler in one round, but two the next. Or the empty prowler in one lane is there as a light option for girls etc.

It's unfortunate as that is the right area for that stuff. Beside the matrix cage in the middle would work, but prob not an option when it's busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

! Constantly all over women in the gym trying to hit on them. Will sometimes intentionally move right in front of you doing sets to somehow try undermine you and show how much better he is.

a guy in my gym got banned for this two weeks ago.

used train in what looked like boxers and a Brah whitebeater to me

jeuss dude do something with your chicken legs will ya??

kept offering ''advice'' to the ladies... a good few complained him,
    he actually put hands on one girl which she was going sissy squats..

buuyyeee bye lad...

****ing creep

Gross. Can you imagine being able to say "I was banned from a gym for creeping out too many women"?

Gross. Can you imagine being able to say "I was banned from a gym for creeping out too many women"?

i think it was more for touching a woman who was working out without permission.

and asking them out repeatedly.

not so much being creepy.

in my eyes be as creepy as you like but just stay away from me.
    the same way i wouldnt come up to you in the gym, you have no need to come up to me.

and ive been hit on in the gym, but in a nice way. not creepy...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,557 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

i think it was more for touching a woman who was working out without permission.

and asking them out repeatedly.

not so much being creepy.

the same way i wouldnt come up to you in the gym, you have no need to come up to me.

and ive been hit on in the gym, but in a nice way. not creepy...

Leave her alone, Zillah!

• Advertisement

I'm not sure what that even means. Isn't not staying away from someone who wants to be left alone kind of the definition of being creepy?
    Leave her alone, Zillah!

Gotta do something (or someone, hey hey) to kill time between sets.

I'm not sure what that even means. Isn't not staying away from someone who wants to be left alone kind of the definition of being creepy?

not really theres a difference between annoying and creepy. for me anyway.

Gotta do something (or someone, hey hey) to kill time between sets.

Zillah are you my boyfriend?? lolz

he's a firm believer that having a girlfriend or just hot girl around increases his lifting prowess
    ive been used for benching, deadlifiting and weighted squats

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Creepy: ugly
    charming: good looking.

Protip, be attractive! :D

Creepy: ugly
    charming: good looking.

Protip, be attractive! :D

not even close:

annoying: chatting random **** on the threadmil or on a spin bike or when working in on weights hey hows things... the weather blaaa blaaa blaaa...
    hows the marathon training going? jesus its hot in here isnt it... no air conditionining again.. blaaa blaaa the news... blaaa blaaa carbs are great fun, i love running dont you... blaaa blaaaa blaaa..

thats annoying ...

creepy: so you do alot of yoga, i can tell, *wink wink*
    i just love girls who lift, fancy working in here with me?
    hey want a hand with your form?
    i bet youve great endurance chuckle chuckle
    hey nice form, fancy a protein shake sometime?
    hey do you need me to spot you,, from behind.. hahahaa
    im *insert name here* im doing a *insert generic joke of an online PT/nutrition course here* id love to fine tune your programme... over dinner?
    hey so i totally lifted my new PB yesterday wana see... *insert stage pose here*

doenst matter what you look like mate, if your a creep your a creep, chat nonsense to me all day yeah it annoying as fcuk but creepy is a different level

I firmly believe that if someone flirts with you you'll call them charming or creepy depending on whether you find them attractive or not, even if they would have said the exact same things in the exact same tone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

jive wrote: »
    People wearing a woolly hat and/or hoodie.

I'll add oversized headphones and Tapout wear to that too.

When I started using Flye Fit Coolock I thought everyone was an MMA fighter :p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,734 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I'll add oversized headphones and Tapout wear to that too.

When I started using Flye Fit Coolock I thought everyone was an MMA fighter :p

In fairness how else are you supposed to let everyone know you did an mma class 3 years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭Cake Man

livedadream, you'd absolutely love this "Brah Guy" character I was talking about the other day here. He'd be marvelling you with his posing and telling you all about how his "haterz are his motivatorz"

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    In fairness how else are you supposed to let everyone know you did an mma class 3 years ago?

By his Conor McGregor beard & UFC fanboy chatter :p

I swear when I see the first Reebok CmcG replicate T-shirt I'll garotte the whore with my black belt (which I wear on every visit to the gym :p ).

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Yer Aul One

Mellor wrote: »
    I think I know the exact guy you are talking about tbh. Asian looking guy and/or blonde italian chick?

You definitely you should be able use the sled track if it's spare. But it's also the case that sometimes there might be one person on the prowler in one round, but two the next. Or the empty prowler in one lane is there as a light option for girls etc.

It's unfortunate as that is the right area for that stuff. Beside the matrix cage in the middle would work, but prob not an option when it's busy.

Nah, it was a black dude. Tall, short hair. He was in no way nice about it, it wasn't his class either.

I don't know- I am fairly reasonable in the gym and try be as accommodating as I can but in return I expect others to be.

Yea I see that the very odd time they might have 2 on the prowlers, I would definitely have jumped off then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,069 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Ah I think I know the guy, just beign a dick for the sake of it imo.
    The Asian guy and the italian girl normally run that class.
    Spring st is my main gym the moment. I tend to train at quite times.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,237 ✭✭✭✭endacl

By his Conor McGregor beard & UFC fanboy chatter :p

I swear when I see the first Reebok CmcG replicate T-shirt I'll garotte the whore with my black belt (which I wear on every visit to the gym :p ).

My belt is black too! I got it in TKMaxx. Got a brown one as well.

livedadream, you'd absolutely love this "Brah Guy" character I was talking about the other day here. He'd be marvelling you with his posing and telling you all about how his "haterz are his motivatorz"

oh yeah that stuff makes me go weak at the knees hahahahaaa

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

There’s a few characters in my gym, I’d actually love to get a few videos to show. One fella, let’s call him “Brah Guy”, is the most obnoxious, insufferable and overbearing d!ckhead I’ve ever come across. Don’t get me wrong, he has a really good body with plenty of muscle but if he was a chocolate bar, he’d have eaten himself long ago. Tattooed sleeves and legs like a colouring book and the baseball cap plastered on back to front.
    Brah Guy likes to sing out his sh!tty rap music that he listens to, I’m not talking just humming or quietly singing but belting out the lyrics. When lifting a weight, he always roars out a few “YEAH, YEAH, YEAH” for each rep. After a set, he usually roars out “Wooooooo!!!” and “fcuk yeah bro!!!”. The whole gym can actually hear him. In between sets, he’ll start talking to anyone about how much “in the zone” he is and how this is “his time” while giving unsolicited advice to others. Then going up to the mirror and either posing as if he was at a competition or lifting up his shirt and nodding in a satisfied demeanour at his abs. I’m not even joking! Constantly all over women in the gym trying to hit on them. Will sometimes intentionally move right in front of you doing sets to somehow try undermine you and show how much better he is. He was on the phone one day last week roaring down the phone at someone because they didn’t come training with him – his talking is a normal persons shouting.
    Are there any rules of etiquette regarding just generally being a dick and making unnecessary noise in a gym? If so, this clown is surely in breach of them.

Another fella comes dressed in his huge basketball shorts and American football top with a pair of sunglasses on (at 6 in the morning). Proceeds to stroll on the treadmill or bike for 20mins before fcuking off again. Wouldn’t mind that but he’s always on his phone having a full blown loud conversation in his own language (sounds Portuguese Brazilian) and looking around him giving people dirty looks as if they’re the bad guys oppressing him for what he’s doing. Again, I’d be curious if he’s in breach of any general noise/nuisance rules.

Lastly, the lad who comes in wearing a pair of skinny jeans, decent top and going out shoes – he’s actually dressed such that he wouldn’t look out of place in a bar/nightclub. He then does laps of the place in and out of equipment while on his phone having a conversation to someone for a few hours not actually doing anything. Every so often he’ll do a few jumping jacks in front of the mirror and concentration curls with a 5kg dumbbell and the worst form I’ve ever seen. To be fair, at least he’s not like the other two idiots as he isn’t a nuisance but just more a question of why the hell would you pay good money to walk around the gym.
    Best I've seen in our place was a guy who, after doing a few sets of bicep curls on a bench, stood up, lifted up his shirt to check his abs, went for a little wander around the gym, came back a couple of minutes later and then checked again.

Pretty sure they won't be any more visible after that time, mate. :o

endacl wrote: »
    My belt is black too! I got it in TKMaxx. Got a brown one as well.

I could have bought one too, but I decided I'd fight & earn mine ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,237 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I could have bought one too, but I decided I'd fight & earn mine ;)
    Hardy Buck!

endacl wrote: »
    Hardy Buck!

Can't disagree :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Some looper came in today towards the end of my workout. He went straight over and racked the bench, then started stretching out. All OK so far. He then ignored the bench and racked the squat bar. The ignored that and did some (like 5) curls. Then over to the ez bar, racked that and then back to the bench. Did some yoga like moves on the bench and moved on to some of the machines before finally doing one squat and walking out. Utter lunatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭kknitter

Guy came into dumbbells area and got 16 dumbbells of varying weights and placed all around him like he was using all of them together... no one could use them and people could see he had them still didn't ask to borrow :mad:
    I asked him for couple and he was like "Bring it back" like he owned them.. so annoyed.. He does this every bleeding day :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭idnkph

A big EE lad in my gym comes in and takes over whatever he feels he wants to use. If there is someone there he usually stands around trying to intimidate them by keeping asking are you finish now.
    He came over to me one day when I was doing squats and asked the question " are you finish now?". I had one more set to do but decided to annoy him and keep him waiting.
    So after 3 more sets and him hovvering around he moved away totally pissed off with me and groaning to himself he went and started some ez curls.
    Another small skinny lad came over and asked was I nearly done and I gladly said yeah go ahead.
    You could see the roid rage building up in him. I was delighted because the small lad I know to be a grumpy fecker. When he came over to him saying I was next the wee lad told him to f**k off.
    Next couple of days I could barely walk but I would gladly do the same again to see that arrogant piece of toilet paper react like that again.
    Now he just stays away from me.

Advertisement