Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annoying Gym Behaviour - Mk2(?)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Returning stuff is an odd one. Dumbells, sure, put them back on the rack. Bars for deadlifting in the area where every does deadlifting? I'd rather they just left all the bars out with weight already on them. I love when I arrive and find a bar ready to go with something close to what I need. Stripping all of the plates off, returning them to the rack, and putting the bar back in the holder, only for the next guy to have to reverse the entire process seems silly. Specifically thinking of somewhere like Macken St, for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Zillah wrote: »
    Returning stuff is an odd one. Dumbells, sure, put them back on the rack. Bars for deadlifting in the area where every does deadlifting? I'd rather they just left all the bars out with weight already on them.

Personally I use an empty bar when warming up for DLs - do some RDLs, SLDLs etc to warm up and get used to the movement with just an empty bar. You never know what somebody might want to do with the bar on its own - I have seen people practising cleans etc. or even squatting technique work. You never know so best to work off the assumption of putting it back as you found it imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Todd Toddington III

I'd start a warm up with 40kg on the bar for the DL but I'd still like to arrive to an empty bar. There are times when working on technique with just the bar is needed. Each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

OH NO!!!!!!! morto for you. BUT

why do we fall? (my favourite gym motivation youtube video!)

get back in there!!

come on RAMBO!!!

(i may be being too over enthusiastic this morning i had a very very long run before work, twitching from the endorphins i am!!...)

Thanks livedadream! I'm on the mend now, but it's a long road!

I have to say NOBODY was nasty or rude in the gym! There might have been a bit of superiority as I lifted my tiny little weights! But that's how it goes. Don't forget, I was very very capable of making a fool of myself all on my own! My injuries are ongoing, I'm back in the water doing what I like to do (not what I did before!), but I have to be careful, years of endurance slogging (long distance offshore rowing an canoeing) have destroyed my little body! There you go, eighties and early noughties ignorance catching up on me!

Personally I use an empty bar when warming up for DLs - do some RDLs, SLDLs etc to warm up and get used to the movement with just an empty bar. You never know what somebody might want to do with the bar on its own - I have seen people practising cleans etc. or even squatting technique work. You never know so best to work off the assumption of putting it back as you found it imo.

Eugh. I wish you hadn't said that and I wish so many people hadn't thanked you. I am now going to have waste seconds, even minutes of my life putting plates back.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Eugh. I wish you hadn't said that and I wish so many people hadn't thank you. I am now going to have waste seconds, even minutes of my life putting plates back.

Extra gainz

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭RTighe

hmm saw a new one and it actually made my blood boil. And its Snickering. Two guys on the cycles coasting having great fun snickering at the young girl on the treadmill busting her gut. Was tempted to use a plate as a Frisbee at their heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,069 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Mobile phones in the gym is only annoying if the person using it is sitting on machine, if you've time to be on facebook between sets, you're probably taking too long, so let somebody else use the machine, while you check what your friends are eating for lunch.
    If somebody is strength training, 3 mins is pretty standard rest. What difference does it make if they are sitting there regardless?

There's a difference between using your phone during normal rest. And resting for no reason other than to arse about on your phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭uvox

Trainers who get snotty because the clientele are fitter than they are.

Lay off the pork pies mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭Cake Man

What's the general consensus on etiquette in this situation - in my gym there's only 1 x squat/power rack, 1 x bench station and 1 x decline bench station; each has a 20kg bar. So if you want to deadlift you need to take one of the bars which is fine but in terms of location, usually I deadlift just in front of the squat rack thus taking up that piece of equipment.
    My gym is small so there's fairly limited space for DL's (no platforms etc.) so doing it in this area is ideal as it's in a corner and there are mirrors in front and to your left side. Anywhere else and you're a bit away from any mirror and kind of in between a few moveable benches and a preacher curl bench so I'd be conscious of getting in people's way.
    Am I alright doing this here or am I being an inconsiderate pr!ck taking up the squat rack even though I'm not really using it (just the bar).

I love this thread, it actually encourages me to go to the gym and witness some silly sh!t going on to report here lol! pacman.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

My gym has a couple of multi function frames that are used for barbell work and pull ups etc. People are constantly throwing mats down in front of them to do all sorts of stretching and cardio circuits, thus blocking anybody from using them. To be fair to these people it's a gym layout issue rather than bad behaviour as there is no other suitable space for mat work. Still very annoying though.

Cake Man wrote: »
    Am I alright doing this here or am I being an inconsiderate pr!ck taking up the squat rack even though I'm not really using it (just the bar).
    Imo, occupying a rack so you can deadlift is pretty inconsiderate. Surely there's somewhere else where a bar would fit. You mentioned it was a cage type, even if you stepped 1 m behind it, somebody would be free to squat inside the cage.
    Does you're gym only have the 3 olympic bars? Or is there a 4th for deadlifting?

If there are only as many bars as stations then you're preventing them from using the squat rack by taking the bar anyway, so you may as well take the good spot, too.

Sounds like a crappy gym though.

If there are only as many bars as stations then you're preventing them from using the squat rack by taking the bar anyway, so you may as well take the good spot, too.

Sounds like a crappy gym though.

Yeah that's why I asked about 3 vrs 4 bars. If there's only 3 it could being reack pulls standing on the flat press and it makes little difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Mellor wrote: »
    Imo, occupying a rack so you can deadlift is pretty inconsiderate. Surely there's somewhere else where a bar would fit. You mentioned it was a cage type, even if you stepped 1 m behind it, somebody would be free to squat inside the cage.
    Does you're gym only have the 3 olympic bars? Or is there a 4th for deadlifting?
    Stepping a metre or so behind the cage isn't an option unfortunately, there happens to be a big concrete pillar in the way and then you have the moveable benches in front of the mirror/dumbbell racks. Yeah it's just the three bars, one each per station. There is a little space to the right of the cage but as mentioned it's a little distance away from mirrors. Not that it's a huge deal, I just like to be able to view form when doing lifts and also being conscious of not taking over the place and getting in people's way!

Sounds like a crappy gym though. [QUOTE/]

Well yeah that's what I was thinking, if I'm using the bar I'm as good as using the rack as well unless someone wants to use the bar on top of the cage to do pullups etc. It's not a great or big gym by any means but (as I'm sure Mellor and a few other posters living in Sydney or Australia will attest) it's good value and much cheaper compared to other places. Gym membership over here is generally very expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭whippet

something I find annoying in the gym is a perception from some people that there is some sort of hierarchy in the place, as in some members are more entitled to use equipment or areas than others. Fortunately it isn't much of an issue in my gym but the very odd time you would come across it.

And a sort of inverted version of this happened to me last week. I was foam rolling beside the deadlift platform (an area that is usually used for foam rolling) before a squat session. There was a lad walking around close by, he was fairly new to the gym, and sort of bumbling with plates and eventually he came over to me asking me where he could deadlift. I explained that the platform was beside us and he said that he didn't want to deadlift there as it was where the 'elite' lifters lifted and he didn't want to get in their way in case they wanted to use it.

I persuaded him to just get on with his sets and eventually he was joined by some of the more experienced lifters who jumped in with him and safe to say the lad had probably the best session he ever had in the gym.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭sportloto86

John_Rambo wrote:
    There you go. Faceplanted myself in the gym after lifting minuscule weights.

Oh god, John, I'm glad I was alone in the kitchen, drinking my morning coffee, otherwise my wife would've called some mental hospital and my kids would've disowned me as I couldn't stop laughing for at least 4.5 minutes.

Now I'm going to wash myself and get a number for a painter-decorator to cover up coffee splutter on the wall before my family is home.

Good luck with rehab!

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭sportloto86

certainly in the gym I go to where there's pumping music in the background anyway.

NOT PUMPING ENOUGH! I NEED MOAR PUMPING!

Cake Man wrote: »
    Well yeah that's what I was thinking, if I'm using the bar I'm as good as using the rack as well unless someone wants to use the bar on top of the cage to do pullups etc. It's not a great or big gym by any means but (as I'm sure Mellor and a few other posters living in Sydney or Australia will attest) it's good value and much cheaper compared to other places. Gym membership over here is generally very expensive.
    Well that changes a lot tbh. You're entitled to use the bar as much as anyone else. If it's your deadlift session, then there's no bar to squat with.
    If somebody wants to jump onto the pull-up bar. They can work around you. Or if somebody wants to move a bar over from the bench. It's on them to make it work.
    As you mentioned it's in Sydney. Is it like a small independent gym or something? I think people taper their expectation to the location

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Never understood people taking pictures of themselves in the gym, saw three guys with a camcorder the other day, recording each other, presumably for social media. Not really annoying, buy I do find it odd that that people think that other people care what they're doing in the gym. If you're taking pictures of yourself, you're just telling the world how you're half ass'ing your workout. Don't think I've ever been in there sweating balls, with a big red, out of breath face on me thinking "the world needs to see this"

The youtube and instrgram generation would disagree with that especially the youtubers that are pulling in 10-100k views a month and up to $10k a month (guzman, rob lipsett, steve cook etc). All the younger lads these days are trying to emulate them - let them to it i say!

• Advertisement

neacy69 wrote: »
    The youtube and instrgram generation would disagree with that especially the youtubers that are pulling in 10-100k views a month and up to $10k a month (guzman, rob lipsett, steve cook etc). All the younger lads these days are trying to emulate them - let them to it i say!

yes agreed, when it comes to training, actual technique and improvement tips etc. However I've seen lads filming each other doing basic things and taking pics of themselves actually because they're pumped up. I presume they look more impressive on their GRNDR profile.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

rusty cole wrote: »
    yes agreed, when it comes to training, actual technique and improvement tips etc. However I've seen lads filming each other doing basic things and taking pics of themselves actually because they're pumped up. I presume they look more impressive on their GRNDR profile.;)

Ahhh.. Annoying lads taking pics of eachother. They must be gay and on grindr. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

brownej wrote: »
    Ahhh.. Annoying lads taking pics of eachother. They must be gay and on grindr. :rolleyes:

Only the gays are allowed be proud of their body.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,418 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Only the gays are allowed be proud of their body.

Well then paint me pink and call me Suzie :pac:

yeah cos that's what I was saying. It was a tongue in cheek Friday remark.
    I didn't realise the quentin crisps on here would get their Panti Bliss in a Knot!!

sorry to have touched a nerve there lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

can i add that eating just full stop shoudl be banned in the gym...

like take it outside, in the gym this morning and some lad is horsing into his tuna while sitting on a bench.

*gawk*

i get some people need to eat during or before/after a workout but in the actual gym? take it outside to reception or your car or something...

uck uck uck

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

rusty cole wrote: »
    yeah cos that's what I was saying. It was a tongue in cheek Friday remark.
    I didn't realise the quentin crisps on here would get their Panti Bliss in a Knot!!

sorry to have touched a nerve there lads.

Yeah the gays are real sensitive.
    Probably didn't realise it was casual homophobia Friday and should chill out! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Yeah the gays are real sensitive.
    Probably didn't realise it was casual homophobia Friday and should chill out! :rolleyes:

*ANUS

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

This thread generally irks me (not annoy, I didn't say annoy!) so I don't pop in too often.... but that story about the dude asking the other dude to get off a treadmill because they were only walking is f*cking nuts! No amount of 'go f*ck yourselves' would have sufficed...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

can i add that eating just full stop shoudl be banned in the gym...

like take it outside, in the gym this morning and some lad is horsing into his tuna while sitting on a bench.

*gawk*

i get some people need to eat during or before/after a workout but in the actual gym? take it outside to reception or your car or something...

uck uck uck

are you serious? he could miss the anabolic window, that tuna is literally converting straight to gains

Advertisement