Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annoying Gym Behaviour - Mk2(?)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭SBWife

People who stand directly in front of the paper towel roll while spraying the towel to wipe down the Spin bike. Line up one side, grab some towel, move across, spray then hand the solution to the next person. Simple and efficient.

People who spend half the day with their head in their locker normally blocking the other two stacked lockers and most of the column beside them.

People who don't understand that the unwritten rules of male urinals also apply to treadmills.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

SBWife wrote: »
    People who don't understand that the unwritten rules of male urinals also apply to treadmills.

...about splashback?

yeah splash back??? we're intrigued? indulge us. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

SBWife wrote: »

If the row on front has a nice lady (actually any lady) , fcuk your personal space.

ah now we get it. so if five bikes are free why use the one beside me?

I agree I suppose, weird but people do it all the time. I'm sick of busty girls splashing their perfumed moist perspiration on my rock hard cycling quads!

move two bikes down you lusty wenches!! I'm all about the burn!:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

rusty cole wrote: »
    I agree I suppose, weird but people do it all the time. I'm sick of busty girls splashing their perfumed moist perspiration on my rock hard 'quads'

Oi fella, where the hell is this perverts paradise gym?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭haskellgeek

You just want to look at his quads admit it

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I'm often the only person in my gym when i use it, so when another person is there I'm like wtf man, this is my gym?!

it's here,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQSYo_pC-QA

I swear cant a guy just do his yoga in peace! damn your downward dawg!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ZDavis94

Someone making a bit of noise whilst lifting isn't a problem for me, but someone screaming at the top of their lungs for each rep is.

The gym was fairly quiet, and this lad was on the leg press machine. More effort went in to the screams than the actual exercise itself.

I wonder would his scream be audible when he maxes out on a weight?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

ZDavis94 wrote: »
    Someone making a bit of noise whilst lifting isn't a problem for me, but someone screaming at the top of their lungs for each rep is.

The gym was fairly quiet, and this lad was on the leg press machine. More effort went in to the screams than the actual exercise itself.

I wonder would his scream be audible when he maxes out on a weight?

In the NUIG gym I have actually seen guys turn their screaming on and off depending on wither or not someone is there to hear them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

JJayoo wrote: »
    In the NUIG gym I have actually seen guys turn their screaming on and off depending on wither or not someone is there to hear them.

*resists temptation to make tree falling in a forest reference*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

JJayoo wrote: »

How can this be true? :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Don't care what anyone says, that looks like great craic! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Vancity

People doing their own workouts during a scheduled group class - using equipment, generally getting in the way and sometimes jumping in to offer advice while you are mid workout. Some people can pull this off by staying to the side but there are a few in my gym who are constantly setting up their own little circuits in the middle of the class...so annoying!

People videoing themselves doing lifts - in a regular class. Usually just to post to Instagram immediately afterwards...

Men and women who take off their tops mid workout. It's not so bad if they start topless (or just wearing a sports bra for the women) but why the need to take it off in the middle of a 12 minute workout?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

Vancity wrote: »

People videoing themselves doing lifts - in a regular class. Usually just to post to Instagram immediately afterwards...

Men and women who take off their tops mid workout. It's not so bad if they start topless (or just wearing a sports bra for the women) but why the need to take it off in the middle of a 12 minute workout?

1) some do this to view their technique afterwards

2) some people do this if they have created a sweat midway through their workout

1) some do this to view their technique afterwards

2) some people do this if they have created a sweat midway through their workout

1 - I know that, I'm not talking about people who are serious about improving their technique - those people tend to video themselves in a corner, away from everyone and usually outside of a regular class time or at least not interrupting it. I'm talking about the attention seekers who do it in the middle of an instructor led group class and get in other people's way while they set up their ipad or phone or whatever and then spend a few minutes adding filters and hashtags before it goes on instagram. The same people who usually mix their protein shake in class immediately after a workout...cos you can't wait until you get to the locker room!

2 - Its just unnecessary and attention seeking. It's always the incredibly ripped people who do it too - do they sweat more?? Maybe I'm just jealous ha :o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

People doing their own workouts during a scheduled group class - using equipment, generally getting in the way and sometimes jumping in to offer advice while you are mid workout. Some people can pull this off by staying to the side but there are a few in my gym who are constantly setting up their own little circuits in the middle of the class...so annoying!

No everyone in the gym is taking part in the class. It's acceptable to do you own workout.

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    No everyone in the gym is taking part in the class. It's acceptable to do you own workout.

Yes but there is a big sign saying that during group classes priority must be given to those in the class as regards equipment, space etc. So I'm referring to those who flout this rule and get in the way and use equipment that's in short supply. Some instructors pull them up on it but others don't. There are LOADS of open gym times as well.

Maybe no one else finds the same things as I do annoying :(

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Maybe no one else finds the same things as I do annoying :(
    I think it really depends on the gym layout and stuff. If the area was free when he was started, then he's not really doing anything wrong, he allowed use it. But he should obviously move if asked to. On the other hand if the instructor doesn't bother to ask him, then he might not bother.

If there's nowhere suitable to move to, then the instructors need to be smarter with planning classes.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,130 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I do my own training in a Crossfit gym during classes. I try to take a rack in the corner and will move a barbell off the floor if the entire space is being used by a full class warming up, etc. I think it's fully reasonable that they have right of way tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

It's a similar set up in my gym. The classes take up the main part of the gym so I set up in a corner n keep out of the way.
    You'd have to be a real princess to think you as one person take priority over a group

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

perhaps, other side of the coin. My membership money is as good as theirs

Luckily, dont have classes or that where I frequent so have never had to face this issue

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

COH wrote: »
    The gym where I work implemented a system whereby the members could choose the music via an app

Guess what happened?

Absolute chaos.

What caused the chaos? Music going from hard trance to Adele?

I listen to podcasts while in the gym which some people don't understand. It keeps me entertained while doing something I consider rather boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Yer Aul One

Nokotan wrote: »
    What caused the chaos? Music going from hard trance to Adele?

I listen to podcasts while in the gym which some people don't understand. It keeps me entertained while doing something I consider rather boring.

Never thought of podcasts, what a great idea

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Chewing gum on the shower floor. From annoying to rather anti-social.

Mellor wrote: »

If there's nowhere suitable to move to, then the instructors need to be smarter with planning classes.

There is plenty of alternative space, it's a big gym. I'm really not having a go at people serious about their training, following their own training plan etc. I think everyone knows exactly the type I mean.

• Advertisement

perhaps, other side of the coin. My membership money is as good as theirs

Luckily, dont have classes or that where I frequent so have never had to face this issue

Agreed but then why should you, as one person, get to disrupt the class either when there is plenty of available space for you to work out elsewhere and the classes always take place in the same spot, on the same floor, at the same times every day. Surely it's pretty easy for those training solo to avoid them.

Advertisement