Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annoying Gym Behaviour - Mk2(?)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭PinkLemonade

I'm curious about the gym etiquette of "working in", example, I'm a girl doing just a few arm excersizes on machines, low resistance 15 reps two sets, 30's rest between. If someone asks to work in during my one and only break is it rude to decline because I'll be finished in about 2 minutes?
    Yesterday I had to wait 5 minutes to get it back, and I had to find another machine while waiting

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I'm curious about the gym etiquette of "working in", example, I'm a girl doing just a few arm excersizes on machines, low resistance 15 reps two sets, 30's rest between. If someone asks to work in during my one and only break is it rude to decline because I'll be finished in about 2 minutes?
    Yesterday I had to wait 5 minutes to get it back, and I had to find another machine while waiting

Just tell them you've only one more set and you'll be done in a few minutes. Most people won't mind waiting a few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

If you are only doing two sets then tell them you've only one set left.

How did somebody's set take 5 mins?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭PinkLemonade

Just tell them you've only one more set and you'll be done in a few minutes. Most people won't mind waiting a few minutes.

That's what I was thinking - just checking for opinions, Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Usually people ask how many sets you've left if they want to use what you're using. If you've only one left, I'd be very, very surprised if they still wanted to work in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

I just have 4 sets left (implying that you can not join in)

ok, Ill work when you are having a rest :D (prick)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Somebody wiping down the gym equipment = Good
    Somebody wiping down the gym equipment after you have used it before you have even left it or done any wiping down yourself = Bad

Would you ever eff off for a second and let me finish. You're already too late for the Olympics, no point rushing now. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭granty1987

I saw a fella a while back using the wall mounted hair drier.

Except he was in the nip. Looking over his shoulder at the mirror.

Using it to dry his crack.

Get a towel ffs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

granty1987 wrote: »
    I saw a fella a while back using the wall mounted hair drier.

Except he was in the nip. Looking over his shoulder at the mirror.

Using it to dry his crack.

Get a towel ffs!

Am I the only one that doesnt really have an issue with that?

My annoyance at the moment is people who do not put locks on the lockers. Its like a game of matching pairs, opening and closing lockers to find one without gear in it. I am thinking of buying a bunch of locks and locking any locker without a lock and putting the keys in the urinals.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Deshi Basara

Lads working out in groups, using 2-3 benches to they can dumbbell press at the same time, rather than rotating on the one bench.

I've seen this in a lot of gyms. Only annoying me now as my current gym is quite small. There are only 3 free weight adjustable benches.

Fair enough when the place is quiet, but why do it through peak times?

I also don't get it when people hover near me, to see when I'll be finished what I'm doing. Just ask; I don't bite. And generally don't mind people working in. We're all there to achieve the same thing, more or less.

Really though, these are just quality of life issues. Very little really actively annoys me when I'm lifting :) the gym is a happy place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭kev_Makaveli

Surprised no-one mentioned people taking selfies inside the gym and posting to facebook. I'm sure we all have that annoying friend ...

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Deshi Basara

Surprised no-one mentioned people taking selfies inside the gym and posting to facebook. I'm sure we all have that annoying friend ...

Personally, this doesn't bother me. More power to them if they're happy with their progress.

Unless it's delaying me getting equipment I want, I wouldn't see it as too bad of a habit to be in?

Legit though - there are signs around my gym saying members must refrain from taking pictures in the gym hall. I guess it pisses a few people off.

I hate when people watch me use the dryer on my arse.

In the changing rooms, to clarify.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

I hate when people watch me use the dryer on my arse.

In the changing rooms, to clarify.

Some people are just weirdos, like when I teabag the Dyson hand-dryer, I'm dry in seconds yet apparently I'm the odd one.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

When I just take the gym for my team and some instinct or valor scrub comes along and reclaims it.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 MY CUP OF TEA

oh jesus...I've just joined a gym and am a complete noooobie..this thread is making me think that I'm gonna end up accidentally pissin everyone off!!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

oh jesus...I've just joined a gym and am a complete noooobie..this thread is making me think that I'm gonna end up accidentally pissin everyone off!!!

As long as you don't do anything completely stupid most people won't really give too much of a shít. Just be considerate and try not to use equipment unless you actually need it (e.g. doing bicep curls in the squat rack).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

We were all noobies and did silly things when we started off, some won't admit of course but they did.

You'll be cool, just stick it out and you'll be grand in no time.

Worse are the fools who start walking like they're carrying rolls of carpet under their arms after just a few visits.

You won't.

The general rule of life is all you need to do, ie "Don't be a dick".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

When I just take the gym for my team and some instinct or valor scrub comes along and reclaims it.
    I hope it's officially released here soon
    It'll be good for my fitbit steps :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

bluewolf wrote: »
    I hope it's officially released here soon
    It'll be good for my fitbit steps :D

Walked 40km with it already. Pretty good for the aul walking every day!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Cake Man

There’s a few characters in my gym, I’d actually love to get a few videos to show. One fella, let’s call him “Brah Guy”, is the most obnoxious, insufferable and overbearing d!ckhead I’ve ever come across. Don’t get me wrong, he has a really good body with plenty of muscle but if he was a chocolate bar, he’d have eaten himself long ago. Tattooed sleeves and legs like a colouring book and the baseball cap plastered on back to front.
    Brah Guy likes to sing out his sh!tty rap music that he listens to, I’m not talking just humming or quietly singing but belting out the lyrics. When lifting a weight, he always roars out a few “YEAH, YEAH, YEAH” for each rep. After a set, he usually roars out “Wooooooo!!!” and “fcuk yeah bro!!!”. The whole gym can actually hear him. In between sets, he’ll start talking to anyone about how much “in the zone” he is and how this is “his time” while giving unsolicited advice to others. Then going up to the mirror and either posing as if he was at a competition or lifting up his shirt and nodding in a satisfied demeanour at his abs. I’m not even joking! Constantly all over women in the gym trying to hit on them. Will sometimes intentionally move right in front of you doing sets to somehow try undermine you and show how much better he is. He was on the phone one day last week roaring down the phone at someone because they didn’t come training with him – his talking is a normal persons shouting.
    Are there any rules of etiquette regarding just generally being a dick and making unnecessary noise in a gym? If so, this clown is surely in breach of them.

Another fella comes dressed in his huge basketball shorts and American football top with a pair of sunglasses on (at 6 in the morning). Proceeds to stroll on the treadmill or bike for 20mins before fcuking off again. Wouldn’t mind that but he’s always on his phone having a full blown loud conversation in his own language (sounds Portuguese Brazilian) and looking around him giving people dirty looks as if they’re the bad guys oppressing him for what he’s doing. Again, I’d be curious if he’s in breach of any general noise/nuisance rules.

Lastly, the lad who comes in wearing a pair of skinny jeans, decent top and going out shoes – he’s actually dressed such that he wouldn’t look out of place in a bar/nightclub. He then does laps of the place in and out of equipment while on his phone having a conversation to someone for a few hours not actually doing anything. Every so often he’ll do a few jumping jacks in front of the mirror and concentration curls with a 5kg dumbbell and the worst form I’ve ever seen. To be fair, at least he’s not like the other two idiots as he isn’t a nuisance but just more a question of why the hell would you pay good money to walk around the gym.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Cake Man wrote:
    There’s a few characters in my gym, I’d actually love to get a few videos to show. One fella, let’s call him “Brah Guyâ€, is the most obnoxious, insufferable and overbearing d!ckhead I’ve ever come across. Don’t get me wrong, he has a really good body with plenty of muscle but if he was a chocolate bar, he’d have eaten himself long ago. Tattooed sleeves and legs like a colouring book and the baseball cap plastered on back to front. Brah Guy likes to sing out his sh!tty rap music that he listens to, I’m not talking just humming or quietly singing but belting out the lyrics. When lifting a weight, he always roars out a few “YEAH, YEAH, YEAH†for each rep. After a set, he usually roars out “Wooooooo!!!†and “fcuk yeah bro!!!â€. The whole gym can actually hear him. In between sets, he’ll start talking to anyone about how much “in the zone†he is and how this is “his time†while giving unsolicited advice to others. Then going up to the mirror and either posing as if he was at a competition or lifting up his shirt and nodding in a satisfied demeanour at his abs. I’m not even joking! Constantly all over women in the gym trying to hit on them. Will sometimes intentionally move right in front of you doing sets to somehow try undermine you and show how much better he is. He was on the phone one day last week roaring down the phone at someone because they didn’t come training with him – his talking is a normal persons shouting. Are there any rules of etiquette regarding just generally being a dick and making unnecessary noise in a gym? If so, this clown is surely in breach of them.

This guy sounds exactly like the dom!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭MaxPower89

Think all my quips are fairly standard, I’m in a small gym(3 adjustable benchs, 1 smith machine, no bench press, 1 rack of dumbbells) so its annoying when equipment is used for no reason.

There was a guy last week doing pulls ups on the smith machine supersetted with sit down dumbbell shrugs on the bench beside it. There is a pull up machine right beside him and he could have just done the shrugs standing up, leaving a bench and the smith free for someone else.

Curls/exercising in front of the rack…

Another dude seems to do supersets for everything, that’s grand. But he might do leg press with shoulder press on the smith – all the while leaving his towel/water on a bench for 15 mins.

There is another lad who seems to give his 2c to anyone that will listen, when from what I can make out he hasn’t much of a clue, doing all sorts of funny looking movements. He is in there all the time but isn't in great shape at all. Doesn’t bother me – but I think he annoys others.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

I've probably said it before. But I'll say it again.

STOP STANDING SO CLOSE TO THE ****ING DUMBBELL RACK WHEN YOU'RE CURLING THAT YOUR ****ING BALL SWEAT IS DRIPPING ON THE IT.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

People wearing a woolly hat and/or hoodie - in the winter I say fair game but I'm not exaggerating when I say the gym was 400 million degrees yesterday and 2 lads had their hoods up and one was wearing a woolly hat. I admire their burning desire to look cool and persistence to the same but they must have been absolutely roasting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

jive wrote: »
    People wearing a woolly hat and/or hoodie - in the winter I say fair game but I'm not exaggerating when I say the gym was 400 million degrees yesterday and 2 lads had their hoods up and one was wearing a woolly hat. I admire their burning desire to look cool and persistence to the same but they must have been absolutely roasting.

There's a worse one. Actually a scale of worseness.

Training in trackies, vest and hat - wanna cool down, take the hat off

Training in trackies, no top and a hat - TAKE YOUR ****ING HAT OFF YOU SAP, AND PUT A TSHIRT ON

Training in trackies, no top, no hat - or you're too warm? PUT ON A PAIR OF ****ING SHORTS, ASSHOLE.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Cake Man wrote: »

Good God. Where is this?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Too warm for a t-shirt in ireland, lol

My gym got renovated recently, and it attracted more serious trainers. There's very few annoying gimps lately. The gym across the way is power central though. The stuff you see is pure cringe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Roxee

One for the girls if I may.... (I'm a girl, I can say it...). The ones who are there purely for the chance to wear barely anything and to be looked at by blokes. They're easy to spot because during and after every move their priority is always looking around to see who's looking at them. Incredibly cringe.

And honourable mention for the three girls I saw recently come out of the changing room wearing tiny and expensive looking gear, crowd around the mirrored wall just next to where I was, take pouty selfies for a stupidly long time (presumably share their ferocious workout moment on FB) then go back into the changing room, then head off. I was so depressed in that moment.

Luckily though, most women I see are there for themselves and no one else, are tough as fook and are just quietly getting on with it, which is deadly.

Advertisement