Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭buggy beag

They rarely show it live but id say there will be deferred coverage.

According to the lads in premierview its the galway and clare games they are showing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

6 hurling all stars and 1 football
    Cathal Barrett, James Barry, Padraic Maher, Patrick Maher, Seamus Callanan, John McGrath
    Quinlivan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Jaysus, I didn't expect that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,731 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

6 hurling all stars and 1 football
    Cathal Barrett, James Barry, Padraic Maher, Patrick Maher, Seamus Callanan, John McGrath
    Quinlivan

And ronan maher.
    7 hurling.

Austin gleeson won young and hurler of the year.

Didn't deserve hoty, he actually contributed to Waterford losing that semi final by trying to be the hero.

Still its voted on by the players so that's fair enough.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

GerB40 wrote: »
    Jaysus, I didn't expect that.
    What would you thought differently in terms of awards?
    Tyson Fury wrote: »
    And ronan maher.
    7 hurling.

Didn't deserve hoty, he actually contributed to Waterford losing that semi final by trying to be the hero.

Ah yeah... thought I may have forgotten one. Don't think he contributed to them losing the semi but yeah he didn't deserve hurler of year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Scandalous decision for the HOTY,who ever voted for that should be embarrassed with themselves.

tippspur wrote: »
    Scandalous decision for the HOTY,who ever voted for that should be embarrassed with themselves.

The fact John Mcgrath didnt get a nominee was even worse. He was outstanding in every single game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

And ronan maher.
    7 hurling.

Aye,voted for by bitter anti Tipp players no doubt,this decision couldn't be more wrong ffs.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

tippspur wrote:

If there had only been one tipp man nominated he would have walked it. With 2 nominated the votes were split which favoured gleeson getting it. The tipp panel couldn't vote for either of their own so all would have had to vote for gleeson.

If there had only been one tipp man nominated he would have walked it. With 2 nominated the votes were split which favoured gleeson getting it. The tipp panel couldn't vote for either of their own so all would have had to vote for gleeson.

Thats a good way of thinking of it tbh. I think in this instance similar to Soccer, the writers would probably have a different outlook

• Advertisement

tippspur wrote: »
    Aye,voted for by bitter anti Tipp players no doubt,this decision couldn't be more wrong ffs.

John Mcgrath scored a point against both Cork and Limerick, a hattrick of goals v Waterford, 1-1 v Galway (plus an assist for Bubbles) and a masterclass against Kilkenny with 1-3 i think it was. Im sure John would be reluctant to relinquish his celtic cross as a swap for Austins HOTY award somehow.

John Mcgrath scored a point against both Cork and Limerick, a hattrick of goals v Waterford, 1-1 v Galway (plus an assist for Bubbles) and a masterclass against Kilkenny with 1-3 i think it was. Im sure John would be reluctant to relinquish his celtic cross as a swap for Austins HOTY award somehow.

You're right. Anyone would prefer the celtic cross . As a Waterford man I'm delighted for gleeson but either of the tipp lads had gotten it no-one would have complained. A case could be made for all 3 to get it . I also thought tipp should have gotten 10 all stars, they were the best team by a street. Only 3 times has the winning all Ireland team not gotten Hurler of the year and each time it was a Waterford player got it. Tony browne. Dan and gleeson. All of them and us supporters would certainly take the Liam Mccarthy over an individual award

You're right. Anyone would prefer the celtic cross . As a Waterford man I'm delighted for gleeson but either of the tipp lads had gotten it no-one would have complained. A case could be made for all 3 to get it . I also thought tipp should have gotten 10 all stars, they were the best team by a street. Only 3 times has the winning all Ireland team not gotten Hurler of the year and each time it was a Waterford player got it. Tony browne. Dan and gleeson. All of them and us supporters would certainly take the Liam Mccarthy over an individual award

My comment wasnt aimed as a dig at Waterford btw i think its a matter of time before Aussie and co are decorated with Celtic crosses for what its worth.

My comment wasnt aimed as a dig at Waterford btw i think its a matter of time before Aussie and co are decorated with Celtic crosses for what its worth.

Yeah I know you weren't aiming a blow there and I hope you're right but if tipp panel have the motivation to go on and win a few in row then they certainly have the players and the manager to do it but who knows what next year will bring

Yeah I know you weren't aiming a blow there and I hope you're right but if tipp panel have the motivation to go on and win a few in row then they certainly have the players and the manager to do it but who knows what next year will bring

i think its going to be extremely tough for us. Like 2011, we'll be the team to take down and Clare, Limerick, Waterford, Kilkenny and Galway will all be fairly strong and motivated without completely dismissing Cork or Dublin either. Clare looked to be the future during early 2014 and then Cork beat them and Wexford knocked them out.

Not dismissing Kilkenny by any means as they have the maestro himself in situ but while they pose a serious threat as always, i think Waterford and Galway might pose us an even bigger one.

We are lucky Mick Church has stayed on with us as he is similar to Jim Gavin in that he is very very grounded and guarded. I have never seen the county as quiet after an All Ireland win. I can remember 01 and 10 vividly given i was an adult and we lost the run of ourselves completely. Moreso in 2010 although the change of management made a significant difference. Not to undermine Declan and Tommy but the step down of Liam, Mick and Eamon that time disrupted us. They are amateur men and were entitled to step away but there was alot to be said for the smooth changeover that happened when Eamon left and Mick took over. There was a request recently for some of the panel to go on the late late but Mick poured cold water on it straight away. He knows whatever chance we have we cant afford too many distractions

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

. A case could be made for all 3 to get it . I also thought tipp should have gotten 10 all stars, they were the best team by a street. d

Dunno if I'd agree with you there.
    There was little separating us from the cats after 40 mins. We hurled them out of it in the 2014 final.....and we still couldn't beat 'em.
    The semi against Galway could've gone either way. We started great but wilted. You'd have to praise the ford wards for scoring those 2 goals despite the Galway backs being on top.
    The Munster final was strange. Were Waterford made look bad by us or what happened 'em......guess we'll never know...
    The limerick game wasn't all one way traffic either.....though hard to judge given bubbles dismissal
    And cork are pretty poor at the moment so hard to judge.

Like I said before re hoty, it's the sexy stuff that lives in the memory, like the 2nd half against the cats or bubbles goal v Galway. When really Paudie's block when the Galway fwd was about to pull the trigger was equally vital.

Think we're in for a really open championship next year.
    We'll hopefully keep up our standards. No doubt Cody will address the kk issues over the winter. Only an idiot would say they're finished. Galway are right up there along with Waterford......both are the coming teams, esp waterford. Clare now that they've parted ways with Davy should be more dangerous and limerick can upset us any time. Can't see cork being in the doldrums for too long more either, even though they're in trouble At the minute. Dublin don't look too hot either.

If we can't do it, I really would love to see Waterford win it out next year.

digzy wrote: »
    There was little separating us from the cats after 40 mins. We hurled them out of it in the 2014 final.....and we still couldn't beat 'em.
    The semi against Galway could've gone either way. We started great but wilted. You'd have to praise the ford wards for scoring those 2 goals despite the Galway backs being on top.
    The Munster final was strange. Were Waterford made look bad by us or what happened 'em......guess we'll never know...
    The limerick game wasn't all one way traffic either.....though hard to judge given bubbles dismissal
    And cork are pretty poor at the moment so hard to judge.

Like I said before re hoty, it's the sexy stuff that lives in the memory, like the 2nd half against the cats or bubbles goal v Galway. When really Paudie's block when the Galway fwd was about to pull the trigger was equally vital.

Think we're in for a really open championship next year.
    We'll hopefully keep up our standards. No doubt Cody will address the kk issues over the winter. Only an idiot would say they're finished. Galway are right up there along with Waterford......both are the coming teams, esp waterford. Clare now that they've parted ways with Davy should be more dangerous and limerick can upset us any time. Can't see cork being in the doldrums for too long more either, even though they're in trouble At the minute. Dublin don't look too hot either.

If we can't do it, I really would love to see Waterford win it out next year.

I agree but i hope Waterford win it with a nice brand of hurling rather than Derek going back into his shell and reverting to this system (which i dont think will win anything to be honest its been copped).

The difference between Tipperary in 2016 and 2014 is our physicality and workrate. That said i think the retirements have hit Kilkenny hard since then. They need to get a few reinforcements over the winter and id expect them to find a couple.

Very good insight into where county players have came from and map of how many each club has had over past 30 years

http://www.tipperarystar.ie/news/sport/222721/if-anything-was-possible-what-tipperary-would-you-build.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

digzy wrote: »
    There was little separating us from the cats after 40 mins.

Ah here, we destroyed them plain and simple, that's like saying that there was little separating Tipp and KK in 2012 after 40 mins - the scoreline in the middle of a match does not tell the true story, in both instances there was only ever one winner and the groundwork had been laid early.

In the context of this discussion and individual awards, how many KK players would you feel won their head to head battle that day?

danganabu wrote: »
    Ah here, we destroyed them plain and simple, that's like saying that there was little separating Tipp and KK in 2012 after 40 mins - the scoreline in the middle of a match does not tell the true story, in both instances there was only ever one winner and the groundwork had been laid early.

In the context of this discussion and individual awards, how many KK players would you feel won their head to head battle that day?

I agree. Dont forget we drove a shed load of wides in that first half but turned over an untold amount of ball. Second half, yes Kilkenny had a slight purple patch but it sprung Tipp into action. We werent going to be denied. I dunno what 2017 will bring tbh and after the events of 2011 im staying reserved. We will be competitive again but hopefully we will still have that sharpness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I agree. Dont forget we drove a shed load of wides in that first half but turned over an untold amount of ball. Second half, yes Kilkenny had a slight purple patch but it sprung Tipp into action. We werent going to be denied. I dunno what 2017 will bring tbh and after the events of 2011 im staying reserved. We will be competitive again but hopefully we will still have that sharpness

Yes, I believe it was a match Tipp were always going to win, not that I would have put my mortgage on it or anything! All the stars aligned for us in terms of talent, desire, good management and the simple dynamic that we just had to beat them sometime. I also believe that the second game against Waterford helped to take the edge off Kilkenny, the final was a step too far for them. We might well have beaten them anyway, but I think it helped for sure.

Defending the crown is a challenge I hope they rise to. Nothing guaranteed but it's great that we haven't lost a management team this time and I believe Mick Ryan will do a stellar job in keeping them grounded and focussed on the task ahead. I have total faith in the man and every decision he makes.

Yes, I believe it was a match Tipp were always going to win, not that I would have put my mortgage on it or anything! All the stars aligned for us in terms of talent, desire, good management and the simple dynamic that we just had to beat them sometime. I also believe that the second game against Waterford helped to take the edge off Kilkenny, the final was a step too far for them. We might well have beaten them anyway, but I think it helped for sure.

Defending the crown is a challenge I hope they rise to. Nothing guaranteed but it's great that we haven't lost a management team this time and I believe Mick Ryan will do a stellar job in keeping them grounded and focused on the task ahead. I have total faith in the man and every decision he makes.

Funny thing is I thought that extra game v Waterford at the time was a blessing for Kilkenny and that they would have needed tough games ahead of an All Ireland final having coasted through Leinster.

We struggled so bad against Galway that i kinda feared for us a little going into the final. i think a bit of rust set in during those 5 weeks prior to the semi and perhaps slight complacency. That said we at least matched them physically but our touch was way off.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Funny thing is I thought that extra game v Waterford at the time was a blessing for Kilkenny and that they would have needed tough games ahead of an All Ireland final having coasted through Leinster.

We struggled so bad against Galway that i kinda feared for us a little going into the final. i think a bit of rust set in during those 5 weeks prior to the semi and perhaps slight complacency. That said we at least matched them physically but our touch was way off.

Yeah, it's a reasonable assumption to think an extra hard game would stand to them. I wouldn't have disagreed at the time. Just in hindsight, I think having to empty themselves twice against Waterford counted against them in the end. Maybe Cody has always primed them to peak on certain dates over the years that the extra game just put them slightly out of whack. It would explain their flatness in the final a bit for me anyway.

The Galway match was actually horrendous to watch, i remember sitting there in the stand with this sinking feeling we were going to lose again and leave another year behind us. Probably under-par that day alright, but I doubt we're as good as the final made us look at the same time. Somewhere in between with room for improvement in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

danganabu wrote: »

I think you misinterpreted me there.
    My point was that we're not streets ahead of the opposition in terms of the 2017 championship as opposed to streets ahead of the cats in the all Ireland.

As I said in the post, the Galway game could've gone against us. We weren't streets ahead of the other opposition bar Waterford
    I'd give huge credit to management, getting the team to peak for the final and blow the cats out of it. It's hard to say did the cats run out of juice or were our lads on a Mission not to be denied by anyone. Either way I'm delighted we beat em at last esp when it really mattered.

A few people, esp on the cats thread were saying it would be Tipp's year. I wasn't too optimistic heading into the game. At ht I was worried that we'd played all the hurling but the gap was so narrow- I actually thought we were gonna have 2014 all over again!

We won't be beating the cats or the deise by similar scores next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Feets

Has anyone seen the grey tracksuit type tops with blue piping,zip down the front. I saw one on someone in croker and thought I will get that for xmas for my husband thinking they would be in shops. But I asked another tipp supporter and she had seen one or two but said u can't buy them. Has anyone else seen these and if so so you know where they were bought?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,731 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Feets wrote: »
    Has anyone seen the grey tracksuit type tops with blue piping,zip down the front. I saw one on someone in croker and thought I will get that for xmas for my husband thinking they would be in shops. But I asked another tipp supporter and she had seen one or two but said u can't buy them. Has anyone else seen these and if so so you know where they were bought?

Is this it?

https://www.oneills.com/tipperary-conall-3s-hz-squad-training-top-grey-roy-amb.html?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Feets

Thanks, but from memory it was more like this but blue piping and zip like the link below
    Trying to think was I sober when I saw it...could affect memory.

https://www.oneills.com/checkout/icart/add/product/119010

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Not sure if it was mentioned, but what's the plan for the Tipperary GAA forums next year?

Are we going to keep 2 threads as is?

Personally I think it's better to just have the one and preferably in the Tipperary forum.

marvin80 wrote: »
    Not sure if it was mentioned, but what's the plan for the Tipperary GAA forums next year?

Are we going to keep 2 threads as is?

Personally I think it's better to just have the one and preferably in the Tipperary forum.
    Keep the 2 threads. ave a new yearly one in this forum and keep the one in GAA going until it hits the 10k max, just remove 2016 from thread title there.
    The thread in this forum worked very well over the years so why change that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Any idea when the dates and venues for the Munster Championship are being announced? (Football and hurling)

Advertisement