Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2016

Options

Comments

Magnificent from Tipperary. Today will go down as one of my most memorable days in Croker. A magnificent atmosphere. The boys left nothing on the field. They'll be back

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Great effort from the Tipp players,done the County proud.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Great day for tipp football.

Great to see the fans turn out, excellent atmosphere.

Pity a few breaks didn't go our way which could have made it really interesting but we cannot complain with the season we've had.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Was a great day in croker yesterday and there is no doubt that they had Mayo very rattled at times, small little break here or there and they could have actually done the unthinkable, from the evidence I have seen this was in no way a one off either Tipp will be a force for a few years yet.

Peter Acheson heading to Dubai to live and won't be available next year, huge loss to the footballers.

Think the biggest job kearns has now is to get the best footballers in the county to commit and keep them there.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Peter Acheson heading to Dubai to live and won't be available next year

The best of luck to Peter in his new life ! He has given Tipperary everything that he has :)

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Xenophile wrote: »
    The best of luck to Peter in his new life ! He has given Tipperary everything that he has :)

Played with a broken hand yesterday. What a warrior. A tremendous servant to Tipperary football. For him, for Georgie, for Philip Austin, for Ciaran McDonald and many others its an awful pity we couldn't make the final to reward their perseverance. These boys stuck with us through thick and thin.

Xenophile wrote: »

Absolutely.

Still only 26 though so may be back after his two years.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Absolutely.

Still only 26 though so may be back after his two years.

Sean Carey is still in Australia i see? That's another player who could have brought so much to yesterdays game on top of the 3 lads over in America.

Was always a big fan of Philip Quirke who has had the worst luck with injuries. A gifted player. Then there is Colin who suffered a brutal injury himself the weekend for the Swans.

In other news Brian gavin will ref the hurling final.

Also colin o Riordan suffered a punctured lung over the weekend and had to do a 44 hour Road trip just to get home.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

In other news Brian gavin will ref the hurling final.

Also colin o Riordan suffered a punctured lung over the weekend and had to do a 44 hour Road trip just to get home

heard about colin. Jesus thats horrific. he's one tough boy. The aussies are absolutely delighted with him i hear.

No surprise re Gavin. The other Brian is no doubt delighted with this advocator of 'manly hurling' getting the nod :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,167 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Looking forward to meeting up with old friends at noon in Talbot street on all Ireland day for the Sean Treacy commeroration. Apart from getting the passion up for the match it's a great place to source a ticket or lay off a ticket to a deserving supporter.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Triboro

So looking ahead, does it mean Tipp footballers have a Munster semi final in 2017 for their first game?

Triboro wrote: »
    So looking ahead, does it mean Tipp footballers have a Munster semi final in 2017 for their first game?

I think so. If it's v Cork will it be in the stade du Frank? Or semple?

I think so. If it's v Cork will it be in the stade du Frank? Or semple?

I'd say it's doubtful that stade du Frank would be ready by then.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

I'd say it's doubtful that stade du Frank would be ready by then.

No more blackrock end from what I'm told. It's a blackrock stand now

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Yep, hopefully they get a good draw too.

Getting through to the final and beating one of the "big two" to get the seeded draw is a serious breakthrough that we can hopefully build on.

Yep, hopefully they get a good draw too.

Getting through to the final and beating one of the "big two" to get the seeded draw is a serious breakthrough that we can hopefully build on.

Agreed,promotion to division 2 should be within their grasp too you'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭maximo31

Is it correct that Stephen O'Brien is not part of the hurling squad anymore?

No more blackrock end from what I'm told. It's a blackrock stand now

Naming rights are also being sought, I heard Tipperary water were interested....

:)

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

maximo31 wrote: »

Only 26 can be be named on the day but afaik he is still part of the training panel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

Only 26 can be be named on the day but afaik he is still part of the training panel

I'd hope he's still part of the training squad, wouldn't be right to drop a guy from the extended panel before an All-Ireland unless he had done something extremely stupid

OAOB wrote: »
    I'd hope he's still part of the training squad, wouldn't be right to drop a guy from the extended panel before an All-Ireland unless he had done something extremely stupid

No id say its only a case of having to name 26 on the day. Mick seems to rate o'brien but sees him as more of a long term project.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

maximo31 wrote: »
    Doubt it.
    Strange he would have preferred to have that and not try join up with footballers when it became obvious he had no hope of playing with the hurlers.
    OAOB wrote: »
    I don't think it wouldn't be right if they were dropped. Would be harsh but all depends on a lot of variables.

Doubt it.

Strange he would have preferred to have that and not try join up with footballers when it became obvious he had no hope of playing with the hurlers.

I don't think it wouldn't be right if they were dropped. Would be harsh but all depends on a lot of variables.

Not as easy as just picking up where you left off with the footballers either. If Bill Maher left it any later he would have struggled himself. As it happened his touch was off during the Cork game. Would be far too late in the season to throw the lot in with the footballers in the context of the modern intercounty game

Mick Ryan gave this interview back in late June re Steven o'brien. Well worth a look
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/hurling/michael-ryan-defends-steven-obriens-role-with-tipperary-hurlers-407480.html

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Not as easy as just picking up where you left off with the footballers either. If Bill Maher left it any later he would have struggled himself. As it happened his touch was off during the Cork game. Would be far too late in the season to throw the lot in with the footballers in the context of the modern intercounty game
    But its been discussed for quite some time. Yes in last few weeks would have been too late of course but considering there has been articles etc from june and earlier about his lack of involvement with hurlers its a great shame he's had no real involvement with a county side when he could have starred with footballers.
    At least he may choose differently next year or at least will be able to play both to some extent.

But its been discussed for quite some time. Yes in last few weeks would have been too late of course but considering there has been articles etc from june and earlier about his lack of involvement with hurlers its a great shame he's had no real involvement with a county side when he could have starred with footballers.
    At least he may choose differently next year or at least will be able to play both to some extent.

I know what you mean. I would have absolutely agreed with you a while back but i honestly do think from reading Mick Ryan's interview that he has a plan for him and as much as hinted that Stevie might need longer to make the breakthrough. The fact he talked to him after Tipp beat Cork in the football is a positive. That to me suggests that he has said, 'hang in there and work hard'.

I think the day of the dual player is gone in Tipperary. It will either be one or the other. Perhaps a defection after the league campaign if a player is dropped from one panel ala Bill Maher but otherwise players will be asked to choose

I know what you mean. I would have absolutely agreed with you a while back but i honestly do think from reading Mick Ryan's interview that he has a plan for him and as much as hinted that Stevie might need longer to make the breakthrough. The fact he talked to him after Tipp beat Cork in the football is a positive. That to me suggests that he has said, 'hang in there and work hard'.

I think the day of the dual player is gone in Tipperary. It will either be one or the other. Perhaps a defection after the league campaign if a player is dropped from one panel ala Bill Maher but otherwise players will be asked to choose

Yeah, although there were several players of dual ability at the start of this years minor championship,I remember reading that they were given an ultimatum regarding their preference to one code,pity really.

• Advertisement

Yeah, although there were several players of dual ability at the start of this years minor championship,I remember reading that they were given an ultimatum regarding their preference to one code,pity really.

I can see where Cahill was coming from though. This time last year Cahill had to contend with a few important members of his panel only being able to give 50% of their time to him because they played football. Same for Charlie McGeever it must be said. He had to prepare to meet an awesome Kerry team with a number of his panel not able to give 100% commitment. The result is not the most paramount thing at minor but at the same time dedication is vital to a players development. Especially at hurling where touch is everything.

Advertisement