Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2016

Options

Comments

Another brilliant effort from the two Johnnies. Up Tipp!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

I know what you mean. I would have absolutely agreed with you a while back but i honestly do think from reading Mick Ryan's interview that he has a plan for him and as much as hinted that Stevie might need longer to make the breakthrough. The fact he talked to him after Tipp beat Cork in the football is a positive. That to me suggests that he has said, 'hang in there and work hard'.

I think the day of the dual player is gone in Tipperary. It will either be one or the other. Perhaps a defection after the league campaign if a player is dropped from one panel ala Bill Maher but otherwise players will be asked to choose
    I totally disagree with that. A player will most likely be forced to choose but they shouldn't have.
    On SOB you may be right and there is a plan but in the short term its very disappointing to see him on the sideline playing very little when he would otherwise be starring with and strengthening a good football side.
    I can see where Cahill was coming from though. This time last year Cahill had to contend with a few important members of his panel only being able to give 50% of their time to him because they played football. Same for Charlie McGeever it must be said. He had to prepare to meet an awesome Kerry team with a number of his panel not able to give 100% commitment. The result is not the most paramount thing at minor but at the same time dedication is vital to a players development. Especially at hurling where touch is everything.
    Players playing multiple sports are giving 100% commitment and I wouldn't at all say theyre not dedicated enough. I saw it with close family who were competing in 2-3 sports, individual and team sports(x2) at a very high level and were able to do all. Competed for Tipp, Munster and in all Ireland individual events in same year....
    Another brilliant effort from the two Johnnies. Up Tipp!

Really? IMO theyre terrible but perhaps that's just me...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Brilliant!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

I totally disagree with that. A player will most likely be forced to choose but they shouldn't have.
    On SOB you may be right and there is a plan but in the short term its very disappointing to see him on the sideline playing very little when he would otherwise be starring with and strengthening a good football side.
    Fair point but Stephen knows better than anyone that the hurling panel is a competitive environment and he made his decision. Next year he'll have to make the decision again and may be tempted to opt for the big ball.

Players playing multiple sports are giving 100% commitment and I wouldn't at all say theyre not dedicated enough. I saw it with close family who were competing in 2-3 sports, individual and team sports(x2) at a very high level and were able to do all. Competed for Tipp, Munster and in all Ireland individual events in same year....

No one is saying they aren't dedicated, if anything they are probably too dedicated. I just cannot see how an individual can train with two panels and either suffer from burn out and/or a lack of sharpness but that's just my opinion. Declan Browne was unhappy with Liam Cahill for making lads choose but contradicted himself slightly last week when he said that players should make a concrete decision early so they know where they stand for 2017. I understand his sentiments but isnt it exactly what the hurling management is doing that he is disproving of? And i say that as someone who has huge admiration and respect for Declan Browne.

Really? IMO theyre terrible but perhaps that's just me...

Fair enough, music and the arts are subjective so i respect your opinion even if i disagree. For me its a bit of fun and craic coming into all ireland week to relax the nerves and in fairness to the two boys in question they would follow Tipp to hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

Lads, anyone know if any tickets being released in Thurles next day or two, like in 2014?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Triboro

Lads, anyone know if any tickets being released in Thurles next day or two, like in 2014?

Call Lar Na Pairce,
    0504 22702

• Registered Users Posts: 8,653 ✭✭✭shmeee

Won't be anything until Friday at earliest. And the word is there will be plenty of terrace about, clubs can order more terrace if they wish.

Fair point but Stephen knows better than anyone that the hurling panel is a competitive environment and he made his decision. Next year he'll have to make the decision again and may be tempted to opt for the big ball.
    He does and hindsight is a great help but I don't see him making hurling team next year either and hopefully he will pick football or at least be able to do both to some extent
    No one is saying they aren't dedicated, if anything they are probably too dedicated. I just cannot see how an individual can train with two panels and either suffer from burn out and/or a lack of sharpness but that's just my opinion. Declan Browne was unhappy with Liam Cahill for making lads choose but contradicted himself slightly last week when he said that players should make a concrete decision early so they know where they stand for 2017. I understand his sentiments but isnt it exactly what the hurling management is doing that he is disproving of? And i say that as someone who has huge admiration and respect for Declan Browne.
    I wouldn't say theyre "too dedicated" either. They can train with 2 SQUADS and just cut back on needless doubling up of fitness sessions etc. They can still work on the game specifics of each sport without doubling up on the work both set ups do that is quite similar/same in terms of s&c etc.
    Fair enough, music and the arts are subjective so i respect your opinion even if i disagree. For me its a bit of fun and craic coming into all ireland week to relax the nerves and in fairness to the two boys in question they would follow Tipp to hell.
    These things can be fun and "craic" but I see that as just useless and its irrelevant that these guys "would follow tipp to hell"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,167 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

HOW MUCH IS THE HILL?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,653 ✭✭✭shmeee

HOW MUCH IS THE HILL?

€40

• Advertisement

He does and hindsight is a great help but I don't see him making hurling team next year either and hopefully he will pick football or at least be able to do both to some extent

I wouldn't say theyre "too dedicated" either. They can train with 2 SQUADS and just cut back on needless doubling up of fitness sessions etc. They can still work on the game specifics of each sport without doubling up on the work both set ups do that is quite similar/same in terms of s&c etc.
    These things can be fun and "craic" but I see that as just useless and its irrelevant that these guys "would follow tipp to hell"

Well we'll just have to agree to disagree on all so

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Well we'll just have to agree to disagree on all so

Oh no you won't.;)
    The sheep ain't letting this one go :rolleyes:

digzy wrote: »
    Oh no you won't.;)
    The sheep ain't letting this one go :rolleyes:
    :rolleyes:

And next weekend the lads playing sunday are not the only sides playing in all Ireland competition....

The Intermediate ladies footballers play Clare in the All Ireland Semi Finals on Saturday at 3:15pm in the Gaelic Grounds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Regarding the Stephen O'Brien issue, I do have to laugh at the critics, I mean has it ever crossed any ones mind that he doesn't actually want to play football and enjoys hurling more?

6 months ago it was all ''Stephen O'Brien and Seamus Kennedy have been robbed of a chance to play football'' and are wasting away on the bench for the hurlers, really convenient the way that Seamus Kennedy has suddenly dissapeared from the argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Will Stephen O'Brien get any of the two medals on offer next Sunday ?

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Xenophile wrote: »
    Will Stephen O'Brien get any of the two medals on offer next Sunday ?

Not sure what you are trying to get at here tbh, I'm sure its a dig at the bad evil hurlers but you lost me?

Tipp will be playing two hurling AI's next Sunday one is minor, that is exclusively for player U-18, Stephen is 21 and would look terribly out of place, so I think it is unlikely that Liam Cahill will risk it, you never know though!

The senior final will be an epic battle and if we do come out on top then yes Stephen O'Brien will receive an AI winners medal, just like those great footballers in 1920 :D

Just wondering do the runners up get a medal as well as the winners and if so does Stephen O'Brien qualify !

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Just wondering do the runners up get a medal as well as the winners and if so does Stephen O'Brien qualify !

Yes the runners up get medals and yes of course he qualifies for a medal, why wouldn't he?

I am happy for him as he will have something to show for his year long endeavours !

I am happy for him as he will have something to show for his year long endeavours !

Sure he's a munster medal in the bag already.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

Stephen has been part of Tipp panels for 10 years you don't win an AI medal in a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭buggy beag

He is going to need this year to settle in.if he didn't get much of a look in next year only then should we be asking if he is going to make it or not.

You just cant trust them f**king Kilkenny lads :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Well lads. Just after Been let down for tickets ... Any spares floating around?

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

Rang Lar na Pairce today. They said to check again tomorrow. Looking at the timing in 2014, I'd say tomorrow morning is the most likely, probably terrace tickets only. I have an appointment though and can't really cancel it and head to Thurles on spec. Anyone know if they would take payment by phone.... do they usually do that? In 2014 when I was getting tickets they seemed to be taking some calls and handing out tickets to people who seemed to have already paid.
    Any heads up on this would be much appreciated..... I'm guessing that tickets for the Hill or Nally will be easy enough to get at the weekend but would like to have one in my pocket so I can relax about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Rang Lar na Pairce today. They said to check again tomorrow. Looking at the timing in 2014, I'd say tomorrow morning is the most likely, probably terrace tickets only. I have an appointment though and can't really cancel it and head to Thurles on spec. Anyone know if they would take payment by phone.... do they usually do that? In 2014 when I was getting tickets they seemed to be taking some calls and handing out tickets to people who seemed to have already paid.
    Any heads up on this would be much appreciated..... I'm guessing that tickets for the Hill or Nally will be easy enough to get at the weekend but would like to have one in my pocket so I can relax about it.

It's easy for me say it, as I'm not going, but there'll be loads of terrace tickets floating about on the day. outside quinns you'll find loads.

I was there at the 2011 final and I saw one Tipp lad approach the cops who were directing the traffic. the cop pulled out a ticket and gave him one. think he basically had a hard luck story. they'll be **** tickets mind...

Or for anyone heading up on Saturday, Ryan's of Camden Street or any of the tipp pubs should have a few tickets, that's my plan anyway.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 32 tcrilly52

A fella called Hickey rings a bell, might cost you a few quid though

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭buggy beag

Limited amount of nally tickets going on sale tomorrow in nowlan park i think i seen someone say elsewhere that it said it on the kk twitter page if any of ye interested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

buggy beag wrote: »
    Limited amount of nally tickets going on sale tomorrow in nowlan park i think i seen someone say elsewhere that it said it on the kk twitter page if any of ye interested.

Rather spend my money in the local than buy an nally ticket, ya'll find hill tickets will float around nearer the BIG day.

Advertisement