Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread V

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

phog wrote: »
    Earls knockon doesn't mean he's not a centre.

Read it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

phog wrote: »
    Earls knockon doesn't mean he's not a centre.

defensive much? :L

How much Knock
    Would a Keith Earls Knock
    If a Keith Earls knock knocked on

As much knock
    as a Keith Earls Knock
    When Keith Earls Knock Knocks on

page1_earls.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭noway12345

I think we could see the centre partnership some of us have been asking for on Sunday. Fitzgerald 12 and Henshaw 13. Exciting. Pity Earls is not on the wing though. It's great to see the strenght in depth, obviously O'Connell and O'Mahony are huge loses but a back 5 in the pack of Toner, Ryan, Henderson, Henry and Heaslip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

noway12345 wrote: »
    I think we could see the centre partnership some of us have been asking for on Sunday. Fitzgerald 12 and Henshaw 13. Exciting. Pity Earls is not on the wing though. It's great to see the strenght in depth, obviously O'Connell and O'Mahony are huge loses but a back 5 in the pack of Toner, Ryan, Henderson, Henry and Heaslip.

flagellum equus mortuus :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I'm a bit out of the loop, has Earls been ruled out for the weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,529 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

He didn't train yesterday, which would normally rule anyone out of playing, but that was then, and we're in the knockouts now.
    Greg Feek wrote:
    It’s do or die-type stuff so there might be some allowances around a few things, especially with our medical staff and our S&C, they’ve a good feel on things as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

I'm a bit out of the loop, has Earls been ruled out for the weekend?
    joe spotted him attempting an offload on sunday so he's been dropped.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

MJohnston wrote: »
    He didn't train yesterday, which would normally rule anyone out of playing, but that was then, and we're in the knockouts now.

Stop brining up his knock on!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭fitz

Yeah, there's no need to keep knocking the lad...

• Advertisement

Ah, knock it off!

MJohnston wrote: »
    Ah, knock it off!

Lad's, he could be reading this - we don't want to knock his confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Anyone read Francis today in the indo?

A remarkable article

Knock Knock
    Who's there?
    Keith
    Keith Who?
    Keith, I'm afraid you've failed your concussion protocols and you'll have to come off as head injuries are a serious thing and should not be subject to any kind of humour.

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    Anyone read Francis today in the indo?

A remarkable article

It's like someone sent him the the SOB v PAPE thread and said he had to write an article based on evidence purely contained within those 1086 glorious posts.

It's like someone sent him the the SOB v PAPE thread and said he had to write an article based on evidence purely contained within those 1086 glorious posts.

The usual over the top guff from Franno.
    There is one nugget of a point in there though...cynical foul play getting off scot free because there's a retaliation pisses me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I tried to look up the word "taliate" in the Oxford Concise dictionary. No such word exists. Retaliate? The glossary is full!

Think we missed a trick not having Franno representing us. The man is obviously the legal equivalent of BOD.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Think we missed a trick not having Franno representing us. The man is obviously the legal equivalent of BOD.

Only if this is the BOD you're talking about:

21d267155b220a2d6aa93d9ced05bbf3.jpg

Eh, sorry...just, eh...appear to have something caught in my eye...

Mmf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,443 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

fitz wrote: »
    The usual over the top guff from Franno.
    There is one nugget of a point in there though...cynical foul play getting off scot free because there's a retaliation pisses me off.

I dont think the "because" is right. I don't want to get into the specifics here of the Pape/O'Brien case, but in general the perpetrator of the provocation does not get off because there's a retaliation.

In fact, the provocateur is probably more likely to be sanctioned in a game if there is retaliation - without retaliation it's more likely to go unnoticed, with retaliation the ref/tmo is more likely to look or see the cause. I think we have seen Owens sanction both parties in a big game for this type of thing.

Provocation & retaliation is a tricky one. While the retaliation act does not happen without provocation, you can't absolve the guy who retaliates. If the provocation is minimal then I think you let it go, players have to be able to deal with a little bit of provocation without belting someone. A shove would end the issue, and not need sanction.

Yeah, I probably worded that wrongly.
    It pisses me off when the provocation is overshadowed by the retaliation I guess.
    Needs to be a mechanism for sanctioning people who are repeatedly at that kind of cynical foul play.
    I think the official warning process they've brought in, where accumulated warnings lead to a hearing/sanction, could be very effective if used well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Pink Fairy

Thought there would have been more uproar here over the fact he rates POM as a bigger loss than SOB :)

fitz wrote: »
    Eh, sorry...just, eh...appear to have something caught in my eye...

Mmf.

I don't mean to sound harsh but I wonder is it almost better that it ended the way it did for O'Connell? He didn't know it was his last game, he just went out as if it was any other match and did what he does.

I remember thinking before the WC that it might be weird for him when it gets to the knock out stages because then every time he walks out there's a possibility it will be the last time but he wouldn't have been thinking that at all last weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭WarZ

That was probably the funniest post I have ever read on the rugby forum

Is he "wholly" expected to train and does this mean "very" or just "maybe"?

Not to get into a full on Madigan vs Jackson debate but who should start if Sexton can't play?

The only reason I ask is because of Madigan's ability to play multiple positions. If he starts and Jackson is on the bench (along with Reddan) you've really only got one position covered on the bench. I suppose Madigan could shift position if someone else had to go off injured so you're still technically covered....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Not to get into a full on Madigan vs Jackson debate but who should start if Sexton can't play?

The only reason I ask is because of Madigan's ability to play multiple positions. If he starts and Jackson is on the bench (along with Reddan) you've really only got one position covered on the bench. I suppose Madigan could shift position if someone else had to go off injured so you're still technically covered....

Based on his performance vs France it would be very unfair to start Jackson ahead of Madigan. As you said if we need Madigan to cover somewhere else he can just shift out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement