Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread V

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,069 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

In fairness, it was at least as much Earls's fault for SOB's knock on, he threw it over his head.

Henderson was at least going into contact. Earls did a lot of things great and I reckon he single handedly prevented a try scoring situation for the French.

But jesus he absolutely butchered that try and we were lucky to get away with it in the end.
    Infairness it wasn't a guaranteed try as there was French cover coming over - but ya was a bizarre handling error

• Registered Users Posts: 24,083 ✭✭✭✭phog

In fairness, it was at least as much Earls's fault for SOB's knock on, he threw it over his head.

Henderson was at least going into contact. Earls did a lot of things great and I reckon he single handedly prevented a try scoring situation for the French.

But jesus he absolutely butchered that try and we were lucky to get away with it in the end.

The only thing butchered was him catching the pass there was nothing certain about the try.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

Not really, we were still going to win. We dominated France 1 chance missed wasn't the defining moment.

case885 wrote: »
    Not really, we were still going to win. We dominated France 1 chance missed wasn't the defining moment.

That's why I asked Warz in what way was it costly? A BP win wasn't going to give us a different QF pairing.

phog wrote: »
    The only thing butchered was him catching the pass there was nothing certain about the try.

It was a certain try. Bowe wasn't fully tackled so we had a 2 on 1 anyway, not that we would have needed it. Shocking lack of composure, but as I said, he had a very good game otherwise, bar the pass to O'Brien. With Dave K outside him we had another 2 on 1 so Earls pretty much cost us the guts of two certain scores, albeit, if O'Brien managed to gather the high pass we were in so I don't entirely blame Earls.

Defensively I think we'll be fine with Keith, but he needs to improve his handling and awareness if he is to be a serious option in centre. I'd rather just see him stick to the wing.

• Advertisement

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Infairness it wasn't a guaranteed try as there was French cover coming over - but ya was a bizarre handling error

Bowe was still on his feet so we were most certainly in.
    case885 wrote: »

That's how it turned out, that's not how every game is going to end up and we need to take our chances when we create them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Bowe was still on his feet so we were most certainly in.

Unless Earls wasn't able to give a simple pass...

How do you know bowe wouldn't fumble/fall in the lead up to a potential try?

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Flipper22

Bazzo wrote: »
    Lads people have been joking about Earls knocking on for about 2 pages now.

Phog wasn't

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

So you don't rate Earls pace then? Interesting!

• Advertisement

Teferi wrote: »
    So you don't rate Earls pace then? Interesting!

I do and I rate his finishing but there was no certainty that had Earls held that ball that it was a try.

Currently, the knockon king for Ireland is Cian Healy, he has had five so far in the tournament, followed by Earls and a few more on two and a host of players with one.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

The knock on people will remember is Earls'. Probably even long after the end of the tournament.

Still the clear cut choice at 13 going into this weekend if he's fit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

I do and I rate his finishing but there was no certainty that had Earls held that ball that it was a try.

Currently, the knockon king for Ireland is Cian Healy, he has had five so far in the tournament, followed by Earls and a few more on two and a host of players with one.

You must have spent ages researching that. :pac:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Like against Romania where he threw it about a foot above Strauss' head. Luckily Strauss had better hands than Earls and managed to catch it, one handed no less. Strauss to 13?

rrpc wrote: »
    <br />
    <br />
    You must have spent ages researching that :pac:

I didn't, it's readily available but even if I did what matter? It's my time.

Slightly off topic but has anyone read this - heard it's meant to be quite good:

44534.jpg

Slightly off topic but has anyone read this - heard it's meant to be quite good:

44534.jpg

Childish post really.

Just watching some Father Ted, I really love this scene. So funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

You're a gas man altogether!

Teferi wrote: »
    You're a gas man altogether!

:confused:

• Advertisement

You'd make a good fr Noel Furlong venjur.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Lads I'm tired and going to bed. If I check this thread in the morning and there's still a load of childish digs people are going to get cards. Have a look at your posts and cop the f*** on...

Zzippy wrote: »
    Lads I'm tired and going to bed. If I check this thread in the morning and there's still a load of childish digs people are going to get cards. Have a look at your posts and cop the f*** on...

Night Night Zzippy

2630814.jpg?444

last one, promise.

Checking Defenders Beaten Stat, POM is the highest Irish player with 10, followed by Earls & Zebo on 9, DK & Bowe on 7. Damian De Allende was top with 18

• Registered Users Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I'd like to see a 'defenders humiliated' stat, as I reckon Henderson would be right up there.

If you're into stats, this table from the pool stages is gratifying:

Nation|Tackles attempted|Tackles missed|Tackle success
    Ireland (Q)|458|42|91%
    South Africa (Q)|464|48|90%
    Scotland (Q)|585|69|88%
    New Zealand (Q)|352|42|88%
    France (Q)|496|67|86%
    Australia (Q)|483|67|86%
    Italy|569|81|86%
    Wales (Q)|436|65|85%
    England|392|59|85%
    Georgia|512|79|85%
    Canada|482|78|84%
    Japan|491|92|81%
    Samoa|527|103|80%
    USA|498|99|80%
    Romania|445|94|79%
    Fiji|427|94|78%
    Argentina (Q)|436|105|76%
    Tonga|304|83|73%
    Uruguay|474|131|72%
    Namibia|514|168|67%

Interesting to note that seven of the qualifiers are in the top eight with Wales slightly behind Italy in 9th. You clearly need to make your tackles to qualify.

For all the talk of us not being very good attacking wise, our gain line success is also up near the top:

Nation|Carries|Metres|% gain line
    Japan|521|1437|48.2%
    South Africa (Q)|536|2115|47.8%
    Ireland (Q)|593|2116|47.4%
    Australia (Q)|378|1676|43.1%
    New Zealand (Q)|530|2345|43.0%
    Argentina (Q)|534|2687|42.5%
    Samoa|427|1633|41.7%
    Wales (Q)|459|1737|41.4%
    Tonga|554|1769|41.3%
    Canada|484|1925|41.1%
    France (Q)|425|1701|40.9%
    Romania|388|1030|40.5%
    USA|429|1373|40.3%
    Uruguay|360|926|38.6%
    Italy|378|1350|37.8%
    England|528|2108|36.7%
    Scotland (Q)|408|1278|35.5%
    Namibia|258|938|35.3%
    Georgia|356|1174|34.8%
    Fiji|429|1731|32.4%

The sneaky baxtards :mad:

A report in today's Midi Olimpique suggests that the RFU will attempt to pry Joe Schmidt away from Ireland after the Rugby World Cup.

French and English ganging up on us. Where have we seen this before?

"They suggest that a move across the Irish Sea would represent a step up for the Kiwi."

That's low :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

No chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Sean O'Brien was 2nd with gainline carries (29). Michael Leitch was first with 36.

Surprisingly, Keith Earls was the 2nd best Irish player with 20 gainlne carries - same as Sonny Bill!

Henderson & Robbie Henshaw were next with 18 each.

http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/stats/2015/players/carriesogl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

jm08 wrote: »
    Sean O'Brien was 2nd with gainline carries (29). Michael Leitch was first with 36.

Surprisingly, Keith Earls was the 2nd best Irish player with 20 gainlne carries - same as Sonny Bill!

Henderson & Robbie Henshaw were next with 18 each.

http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/stats/2015/players/carriesogl

Considering Henshaw's only played 2 games that's mightily impressive. Not surprised by Earls' stats at all; he's been a serious workhorse for the past couple of months, going all the way back to the first warm-up versus Wales.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement