Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread V

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

This is actually incredible. I cannot believe people are honestly trying to argue that Earls didn't butcher a score. Give it up for gods sake.

He'd a fine game overall but he cost Ireland 7 points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Redgirl82

rrpc wrote: »
    The sneaky baxtards :mad:

A report in today's Midi Olimpique suggests that the RFU will attempt to pry Joe Schmidt away from Ireland after the Rugby World Cup.

French and English ganging up on us. Where have we seen this before?

"They suggest that a move across the Irish Sea would represent a step up for the Kiwi."

That's low :(

To be fair it could be seen as a step up. England have a lot more players and money behind them.....

But in terms of rugby skills it is not. I listen to the Brian Moore Full Contact Podcast and that is always a good view of what is been discussed in regards to English Rugby.

It has been picked out a number of times over the last few weeks in terms of the English team and the Premiership that England are miles behind everyone else in terms of skills and how they play the game. This was even before England was knocked out.....

Small things like the scrums is no longer seen as a chance to attack but more as a chance to win a penalty and the hookers in England don't actually know how to hook anymore. Even picking out the ability of Japan to use the scrum as an attacking option and England don't even have that ability.

They think it is essential that they need coach/agent/figurehead who has Super 15/Rugby Championship experience because everyone else is pulling away from England, they are not calling to replace Lanchaster....they mention "apart from Ireland because they have Southern Hemp manager anyway"

Lots of talk in England that Eddie Jones is high up on the wanted list.....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

rrpc wrote: »
    The sneaky baxtards :mad:

A report in today's Midi Olimpique suggests that the RFU will attempt to pry Joe Schmidt away from Ireland after the Rugby World Cup.

French and English ganging up on us. Where have we seen this before?

"They suggest that a move across the Irish Sea would represent a step up for the Kiwi."

That's low :(

He's signed on here until 2017. He won't be going anywhere until then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 J_KALL_

This Wednesday I landed myself a ticket to see the boys in green over in Cardiff. Great news yes, until you have to book everything last minute. In fairness I’ve sorted myself pretty well I got a flight out on the Saturday, a place to stay on the Sunday and a lift home on the Monday to add to the ever important ticket!

The problem I face is some place to stay on the Saturday, I know theres thousands heading over in similar situations but just wondering if anyone who maybe on there way today or tomorrow with an extra bit of room on the floor be in camper van or wherever there staying. I’ll pay for floor space or even make a donation to a chosen charity it thats more favourable.

Chancer I know but sure look if you don’t ask you don’t get

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

molloyjh wrote: »
    He's signed on here until 2017. He won't be going anywhere until then.

There are plenty of examples of contracts concluded early. How long did Declan Kidney have left on his contract when he left/was fired?

I doubt Joe would want the job anyway, it's a bit of a poisoned chalice and it's probably not in his mind for his next step.

But anything can happen...

• Advertisement

I would be pretty pissed off if Joe went to England. Not as pissed off as I would be if he went to Wales.

Realistically I'd say Schmidt will be Ireland coach, Lions coach, All Blacks coach and then retire.

Also I can't see how it would be a step up anyway. Look how they've compared to Ireland over the last 5 years and 10 years:

Competition|England|Ireland
    Amlin/Challenge Cups|2|1
    HEC/Champions Cups|0|2
    6 Nations Championship|1|2

Competition|England|Ireland
    Amlin/Challenge Cups|6|1
    HEC/Champions Cups|1|5
    6 Nations Championship|1|3

Given the number of teams and players they have those are pretty damn awful stats. They haven't made it as far as Ireland in this RWC, they went out at the last stage in the last RWC. You've to go back to 2007 when they made the final to see a time when they did better than we did in the RWC.

None of that would make for a compelling case that England is a step up.

Ah but they do have ££££££££££££££££££££££££££££ and a massive player pool.

Joe wouldn't do that to us though. He's not all about the money, money, money.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Yeah if Joe leaves us after 2017 it'll be for a job back in NZ.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

I am not sure that the England job would be much of a step up for Joe - Lions, yes, and NZ, of course, but England would be a bit of a poisoned chalice right now IMO.

I must say that I do feel a bit sorry for Lancaster.....he did a good job post Martin Johnston etc.

• Advertisement

He don't need your money, money, money.

Damn you Emmet! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Ye I think Joe would be daft to go for the England job. With his family circumstances I doubt he would really want to go for a job were every part of his personal life could be left open to attack.

I'd say he is just going to sit here until the NZ job comes up and pop off then. No point killing his career before then

vienne86 wrote: »
    I am not sure that the England job would be much of a step up for Joe - Lions, yes, and NZ, of course, but England would be a bit of a poisoned chalice right now IMO.

I must say that I do feel a bit sorry for Lancaster.....he did a good job post Martin Johnston etc.

He plateaued in the 2014 6 Nations IMO. I fancied them to push on and be in a good place come the RWC, but they just didn't push on at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

.ak wrote: »
    Yeah if Joe leaves us after 2017 it'll be for a job back in NZ.

Indeed.

If the ABs choke, he'll be snapped up by them.

If he takes the England job he should hand back the passport:D

I don't think he will because it's not all about money and he'd have to wonder if going into the mess that is RFU politics is a good move.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Story originating in France.... I wonder why that might be.....

I may have to break a habit of a lifetime and support New Zealand this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

Redgirl82 wrote: »

Lots of talk in England that Eddie Jones is high up on the wanted list.....

He was unveiled as the Western Province / Stormers Head Coach a couple of weeks back, just after Japan beat the Springboks ironically

http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/WorldCup/Eddie-Jones-named-new-Stormers-coach-20150921

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

endabob1 wrote: »
    He was unveiled as the Western Province / Stormers Head Coach a couple of weeks back, just after Japan beat the Springboks ironically

http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/WorldCup/Eddie-Jones-named-new-Stormers-coach-20150921

Yes, but has been linked with a few international jobs since. Maybe there's nothing in it, maybe he has a break clause in his contract for certain international sides, or a buyout clause that a big union would be willing to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Story originating in France.... I wonder why that might be.....

I may have to break a habit of a lifetime and support New Zealand this weekend.

As much as French would annoy you over this and the Pape thing, there is no way in hell I could cheer on New Zealand against them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Redgirl82

endabob1 wrote: »

There was something mentioned that he hasn't fully signed or has a contract clause that allows him to break it if someone big comes in

Again it was on podcast so I can't remember exactly

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭jacothelad

bilston wrote: »
    I'm a biased Ulster fan who rates Jackson very highly but there is no debate here. Madigan starts all day long.
    Based on the one game I'd agree. he did a lot of good stuff as well as a lot that was average at best.
    case885 wrote: »
    Having watched New Zealand's group games and their unusually high rate of knock ons I think Keith has studied this and realized it lulled the opposition into a false sense of security so decided to employ this tactic against France.
    We can now see this bold move paid off.
    Fair play to Keith for his heroic action.

FFS it wasn't a knock on. It was an attempted off load to himself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

jacothelad wrote:
    FFS it wasn't a knock on. It was an attempted off load to himself.

Sushh, offloads are not allowed.

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    As much as French would annoy you over this and the Pape thing, there is no way in hell I could cheer on New Zealand against them.

I dunno. I want France to win for the drama and because for it to happen will mean an absolutely sensational game on Saturday evening. But as a rugby nation they are resting somewhere between England and Wales in my estimation right now.

We need a couple more Neil Francis articles to level the score a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

I'd always support a 6 Nations side against a SANZAR

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

wp_rathead wrote: »
    I'd always support a 6 Nations side against a SANZAR

Usually I would agree but France have really annoyed me this past week or so. I'm swaying towards New Zealand.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭part time punk

Realistically I'd say Schmidt will be Ireland coach, Lions coach, All Blacks coach and then retire.

The thought of Joe as NZ coach terrifies me a bit :eek: How good would they be?

But back on topic (ish) of the other NH teams I'd be suporting Wales against SA more than France against NZ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

case885 wrote: »
    Sushh, offloads are not allowed.

Earls knew that Bowe would cop a load of flak from Joe for making a line break, so he was trying to divert attention away from Bowe and onto himself by deliberately messing up with the line at his mercy.

It's that sort of selflessness that kept him in the team this week.

The thought of Joe as NZ coach terrifies me a bit :eek: How good would they be?

I know can you imagine, we might have trouble beating them again if Joe was coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

Redgirl82 wrote: »
    There was something mentioned that he hasn't fully signed or has a contract clause that allows him to break it if someone big comes in

Again it was on podcast so I can't remember exactly
    Yes, but has been linked with a few international jobs since. Maybe there's nothing in it, maybe he has a break clause in his contract for certain international sides, or a buyout clause that a big union would be willing to pay.

As a province fan I certainly hope there's no break clause

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Usually I would agree but France have really annoyed me this past week or so. I'm swaying towards New Zealand.

Join the dark side. Come over to us. Let the blackness consume you. Recognise McCaw as the one true God.

Don't forget to practice the Haka though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,027 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

If Joe leaves us after the 2017 six nations and takes up the lions job for the tour and then takes over the all blacks in Aug 2017 that would mean he would play Ireland in Nov 2017.

Joe might even skip the lions and take over the all blacks before the lions tour.

Who's to say the all blacks job will be available in 2017 the worse thing could happen is the current coach could leave after the world cup this year and Joe mite go this year

It will be interesting to see who takes over Ireland post Joe

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement