Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread V

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

MJohnston wrote: »
    Earls out then perhaps? Not training isn't a good sign.

They said he's very sore after France game, took quite the battering apparently. Hurt his arm at some point during the game and was in pain with it, was iced when he came off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

Yeah but he didn't say "I disagree" he said the people criticising Payne didn't understand the game. That's a big claim to make when you're talking about an ex-international head coach and ex-professional players. Entirely volunteered as well, seems like a prepared comment to me.

Absolutely, I definitely agree it was pre prepared and that he had a clear message he wanted to get across.

I just find it strange (and this commennt is really broad, not confined to this incident, and not directed in particular at you ibf as it's very prevalent) that people seem to constantly take Joes public comments at face value rather than assume (as I do) that he is very media savy and uses his position to drive discussions in a certain way and indeed release messsges he wants discussed.

As an example of a recent media discussion, did anyone notice in the lead up to the French game that lots of people suddenly started talking about this idea that when Owen refs big matches they are right affairs, the implication being he favours the losing teamy to even it up??? I've never heard it before and it was suddenly everywhere. Where did that start?

Back OT Joe is simply not a neutral commentator when it comes to discussing punditry on irish rugby. There are people here suggesting Williams might not be neutral because of his time at ulster, but compared to Joe he is very independent. Joe is a coach attacking a pundit who critiqued one of his players. rather than talk up the player, Joe decided to trash the guy who made the criticism.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

padser wrote: »
    As an example of a recent media discussion, did anyone notice in the lead up to the French game that lots of people suddenly started talking about this idea that when Owen refs big matches they are right affairs, the implication being he favours the losing teamy to even it up??? I've never heard it before and it was suddenly everywhere. Where did that start?

I heard Gerry Thornley at this a few weeks back and couldn't figure out what he meant so I asked in here and apparently there's a ridiculous tin foil hat theory that Owens favours the losing side to make matches closer. My opinion, and that of most other sane people, is that, logically speaking, big matches between two top teams should be evenly matched close affairs and it has nothing to do with who is reffing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Absolutely, I definitely agree it was pre prepared and that he had a clear message he wanted to get across.

I just find it strange (and this commennt is really broad, not confined to this incident, and not directed in particular at you ibf as it's very prevalent) that people seem to constantly take Joes public comments at face value rather than assume (as I do) that he is very media savy and uses his position to drive discussions in a certain way and indeed release messsges he wants discussed.

Back OT Joe is simply not a neutral commentator when it comes to discussing punditry on irish rugby. There are people here suggesting Williams might not be neutral because of his time at ulster, but compared to Joe he is very independent. Joe is a coach attacking a pundit who critiqued one of his players. rather than talk up the player, Joe decided to trash the guy who made the criticism.

Did you hear what Joe actually said? Because most of the comments he made on the matter were about what Payne brings to the team.

Also I only heard that "Owens favours the losing team" thing once and it was almost universally rubbished at the time. Maybe it was elsewhere online, but here it certainly wasn't that prevalent.

Joe is media savy and knows exactly how to balance his statements to get his point across in the best possible way. We've seen it many times before. However he made a very real point of saying what he did. He wasn't asked about it, he didn't need to make the comments he made and he certainly didn't need to be as assertive about it. It was a point he wanted to make and get out there.

The point you made ("But I don't think it necessarily means it's what he privately thinks.") to me makes almost no sense. If Joe didn't believe what he said about the critics then why say it? And if he didn't believe what he said about Payne then why was he always selecting him? And if he didn't believe any of it why would he bother making a point of coming out with the comments at all given that he wasn't asked?

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Flipper22

They said he's very sore after France game, took quite the battering apparently. Hurt his arm at some point during the game and was in pain with it, was iced when he came off.

It was when he made the tackle just before half time that allowed Henshaw win the penalty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Christy42

noway12345 wrote: »
    It shows that he's not as big a loss as some make out and maybe our new centre partnership is better! I'd still have Fitzgerald at 12 and Henshaw at 13 though.

Our locks got on great at the weekend too. POC totally should have been dropped!

Terrible logic, please stop beating that dead horse. Can we have another pointless Zebo conversation instead?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭noway12345

Christy42 wrote: »
    Our locks got on great at the weekend too. POC totally should have been dropped!

Terrible logic, please stop beating that dead horse. Can we have another pointless Zebo conversation instead?

Look, a few people have been proven wrong about Payne. That's all. We move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,529 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Look, a few people have been proven wrong about Payne. That's all. We move on.

Good of you to admit that you were wrong anyway ;)

Good of you to admit that you were wrong anyway ;)

:D I hope you saw Henshaws clean line break on Sunday, the Irish team weren't supposed to that according to some people!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

:D I hope you saw Henshaws clean line break on Sunday, the Irish team weren't supposed to that according to some people!

Let's be having the quotes so.

• Advertisement

The idea that people think the Irish team isn't supposed to line break is an invention - what is true is that some people think players are expected to ensure that when they make one, they look for support, and that they don't get isolated in an open field. This is what Henshaw did on Sunday, and imo that was far more impressive than the break itself. It's similar to what Rob Kearney has talked before about why he runs towards traffic after catching a long kick, which is why some of us think it.

rrpc wrote: »
    Let's be having the quotes so.

Look them up yourself bro. The word was that Payne was doing his job by NOT making breaks. Henshaw is our best 13 and I think Sundays match showed us some of the reasons why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Look them up yourself bro. The word was that Payne was doing his job by NOT making breaks. Henshaw is our best 13 and I think Sundays match showed us some of the reasons why.

If you're so sure somebody said that then you'll have no problem reproducing the quotes

The idea that people think the Irish team isn't supposed to line break is an invention - what is true is that players are expected to ensure that when they make one, they look for support, and that they don't get isolated in an open field. This is what Henshaw did on Sunday, and imo that was far more impressive than the break itself. It's similar to what Rob Kearney has talked before about why he runs towards traffic after catching a long kick.

That's like all teams. That wasn't what was being said when Payne was being defended. His lack of line breaks or attacking danger wasn't seen as a weakness. Others like me thought other wise and I think Sunday showed why.

(a) Not your bro, not even close.
    (b) You make the statements, so you back them up. I'm not researching your posts for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I think you've a serious lack of comprehension skills if you think that's what people were saying.

Synode wrote: »
    If you're so sure somebody said that then you'll have no problem reproducing the quotes

You think I'm going to go back searching through threads for you? :D

That's like all teams. That wasn't what was being said when Payne was being defended. His lack of line breaks or attacking danger wasn't seen as a weakness. Others like me thought other wise and I think Sunday showed why.

See here's the issue: "wasn't seen as a weakness [for 13]" is very, very different to "the Irish team weren't supposed to [do] that".

But regardless of that, why are you comparing Henshaw to Payne?

rrpc wrote: »
    (a) Not your bro, not even close.
    (b) You make the statements, so you back them up. I'm not researching your posts for you.

(a) Lucky me.
    (b) I'm not doing your research for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Redgirl82

See here's the issue: "wasn't seen as a weakness" is very, very different to "the Irish team weren't supposed to [do] that".

He/she has been doing it for weeks here and filling thread after thread, I dont think they even know what there point is. They heard someone on TV say Payne was bad and that was as much as they needed.....

• Advertisement

I think you've a serious lack of comprehension skills if you think that's what people were saying.

Look it up son.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,443 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

That bolded bit is just not true. In the context of making a point about how valuable Payne was to the team & and how we play, and how pleased he was with Payne, he made a general reference to some media analysts suggesting he wasn't playing well or doing a decent job or whatever. So he defended his player. It was not directed at anyone in particular. It could have been directed at any number of online / television / newspaper people (not to mention boardsies), many of whom were questioning how well our midfield was working, and suggesting Earls should be brought in.

See here's the issue: "wasn't seen as a weakness [for 13]" is very, very different to "the Irish team weren't supposed to [do] that".

That's what some people said. Our 13 wasn't meant to make breaks, they were criticising Cave for doing so!

Because Henshaw is a better 13 to Payne. No big deal.

Redgirl82 wrote: »
    He/she has been doing it for weeks here and filling thread after thread, I dont think they even know what there point is. They heard someone on TV say Payne was bad and that was as much as they needed.....

I've said Payne is good! But not in attack, I've said Henshaw should be our 13, Sunday showed why.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Look it up son.

I've had enough of this. If you're going to make throw away and incorrect comments then be prepared to back it up. Otherwise it's just trolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,443 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

I've said Payne is good! But not in attack, I've said Henshaw should be our 13, Sunday showed why.

When he played, eh, 12, right?

This is extremely puzzling, as I could have sworn Henshaw was playing 12 on Sunday...

(a) Lucky me.
    (b) I'm not doing your research for you.

So basically you're just making it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭subfreq

Sorry for the basic question but I totally missed this week who replaced Payne in the squad. Does anyone know?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

You think I'm going to go back searching through threads for you? :D

Unless you can back up your statement that people were saying it, I think it's safe for us to take it that nobody in fact said it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement