Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread V

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

subfreq wrote: »
    Sorry for teh basic question but I totally missed this week who replaced Payne in the squad. Does anyone know?

Nobody yet. You can safely go back to sleep ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

subfreq wrote: »
    Sorry for teh basic question but I totally missed this week who replaced Payne in the squad. Does anyone know?
    nobody yet. The general wisdom seems to be that we have more or less all of the viable centre options in the squad already and are well covered in the backs.
    also they may have been holding out to see if SOB got a longer suspension and might need a new back rower.
    i suppose they'll see where we need cover later in the week or after the QF.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

MJohnston wrote: »
    This is extremely puzzling, as I could have sworn Henshaw was playing 12 on Sunday...

He wore the number 12 alright but it did appear he and Earls rotated a bit depending on what France were doing or what we had planned in attack. I still think Henshaw should be our "13" until Ringrose is ready.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Leslie91 wrote: »
    He wore the number 12 alright but it did appear he and Earls rotated a bit depending on what France were doing or what we had planned in attack. I still think Henshaw should be our "13" until Ringrose is ready.

He was certainly in the 12 spot when he made his break. Lovely bit of footwork and why I think he's still going to be playing that position.

Earls needs a bit more space and having Henshaw and Jonny/(Mads) inside him must put defenders in fear and trepidation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

The RWC certainly drags out the bandwagoners and their half baked madness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

The RWC certainly drags out the bandwagoners and their half baked madness.

Ah that's a poor enough attitude in fairness. I was a RWC bandwagoner at one stage myself, just before the Internet became a big thing, so my ill informed opinions were kept from general consumption. The tournament brings new people to the game and that's a good thing.

For what it's worth my ill informed opinions are now admittedly out there now for public consumption, but hey ho....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

noway12345 wrote: »
    Look, a few people have been proven wrong about Payne. That's all. We move on.

I don't see how Sunday proved anything about Payne since he wasn't playing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,443 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

bilston wrote: »

It proves he was injured.

I'll get my coat.

Is there a reason people are engaging in this still?

Henshaw probably will move out to 13, but I'm not sure he will be there to keep the shirt warm for anyone!

• Advertisement

molloyjh wrote: »
    Is there a reason people are engaging in this still?

I'm just playing catchup on the thread molloy!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

it sounds like Earls won't be ready , sat out training, i assume our midfield will be Henshaw and Fitzgerald - I did think of Ringrose, is he close to been ready ??
    Australia bring in youngsters, and BOD was very young when he came in

thebaz wrote: »
    it sounds like Earls won't be ready , sat out training, i assume our midfield will be Henshaw and Fitzgerald - I did think of Ringrose, is he close to been ready ??
    Australia bring in youngsters, and BOD was very young when he came in

Leinster heads will no better but I think he has been playing wing for them so far this season.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Ringrose has only played twice for Leinster this season, as far as I'm aware, and out of position. That's the grand total of his senior experience, isn't it? I know everyone has high hopes for him but I doubt we'll see him in the senior Irish squad this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Leinster heads will no better but I think he has been playing wing for them so far this season.

Yes being playing wing. He is nowhere near ready for an international call up, let alone world cup knockouts. One to watch for the future without doubt, he's looked solid in the opening games of the season. Needs to bulk up, especially if he is to find his long term home at centre

Yeah played on the wing for us so far. Looks like a centre playing wing in fairness. But he's been very good so far. Linking up really well with Isa, very composed. He looks the real deal the little we've seen so far. But a long, long way from international duty. Times have changed since Drico made his debut. A lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

As far as I know he's being played on the wing for Leinster at the moment because they think centre might be a bit physical for him yet(open to correction).

Another year or two and we might see him in green.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

molloyjh wrote: »
    Yeah played on the wing for us so far. Looks like a centre playing wing in fairness. But he's been very good so far. Linking up really well with Isa, very composed. He looks the real deal the little we've seen so far. But a long, long way from international duty. Times have changed since Drico made his debut. A lot.

Imagine Drico (as he was then) making his debut now. He'd look tiny!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Zzippy wrote: »

then again, for all his bulk, Basterauyd was a passenger on Sunday - and Burgess against Aus - hopefully this WC will be the re-birth of flair over bulk

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Henwin

For the life of me I cant understand why dont bring in a replacement for Payne, when the management announced the squad for the world cup they said how hard it was for them to leave Andrew Trimble out of the squad. Now they have the perfect opportunity to bring him in and they delay and delay a decision. Even if he isnt used they should still reward him by letting him join the squad.
    they said they will make a decision after the french match, now its the argentina match. surely the quicker they get a player in the better.
    Id hate to be trimble waiting by the phone expecting a call and getting none.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Pink Fairy

Henwin wrote: »
    For the life of me I cant understand why dont bring in a replacement for Payne, when the management announced the squad for the world cup they said how hard it was for them to leave Andrew Trimble out of the squad. Now they have the perfect opportunity to bring him in and they delay and delay a decision. Even if he isnt used they should still reward him by letting him join the squad.
    they said they will make a decision after the french match, now its the argentina match. surely the quicker they get a player in the better.

Depends on what Joe wants, he may want to bring in Felix Jones , I'm guessing it all depends on injuries after the Argentina game, neither player would be needed at the moment in Joes eyes

A player could get a knock in training or in the match that means they miss one game but don't have to be sent home. If that happens we still have an option of calling someone else up. Chances are anyone called up now isn't going to be involved in the match day squads anyway so it doesn't really matter. The way it is now we have a spare spot in the squad that can be filled if and when necessary. As much as I like Trimble and was disgusted he was left out in the first place I doubt very much Schmidt is going to bring him in just to reward him.

Earls's knock maybe means we need a centre. Take your pick of McFadden, Reid, Marshall and McCloskey.

Earls's knock maybe means we need a centre. Take your pick of McFadden, Reid, Marshall and McCloskey.

We have Fitzgerald and Cave already there. One of them will play and the other might make the bench, he might not. Nobody will be brought in this week, it's too late to be of use now. Even called up tonight it'd be Saturday before he can join up with the squad. If anyone gets called up it'll be after Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

I can see Henshaw at 13 for the 6 Nations

wp_rathead wrote: »
    I can see Henshaw at 13 for the 6 Nations

I think it could depend on how long Payne takes to recover and get back playing for Ulster and what McCloskey can do in the meantime. I don't see why Joe would change the positions for the 6 Nations if Payne and Henshaw are both fit and playing well for their provinces. If Payne takes a while to come back from injury and McCloskey keeps up the form he started the season with, maybe partnered with Cave for Ulster we might well see a change at 12/13 for the 6 Nations.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,297 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Henwin wrote: »

The reality is we don't need Trimble at the moment, we have at best 3 games left and already have 5 guys who can play wing in the squad. However a win saturday with say Murray picking up a knock that might keep him out for a week would mean we only have one SH so could add Boss on monday with a view to subbing in the semi but would still have Murray back for a potential final. It does seem harsh on Trimble but thats the reality of pro sport. All that said Joe might just call up someone tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭b.gud

Zzippy wrote: »

Especially if he was still in this jersey :)

a4833489d7f66c756ce9dce86ef183cf1d069dc3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 23,794 ✭✭✭✭phog

Earls knockon doesn't mean he's not a centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

phog wrote: »
    Earls knockon doesn't mean he's not a centre.

Knock, not knockon....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement