Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread V

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭subfreq

Superb back row and no backward steps with Dev and Ryan in the second row either.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,297 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

so two options Toner ryan henderson heaslip henry or toner henderson murphy heaslip henry either way id be happy. bench ruddock and either ryan or murphy I would say as henderson can cover the 2nd row

• Registered Users Posts: 10,534 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Don't want to seem like I'm backseat modding, but any reason we're not discussing backrow options in the buildup thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

MJohnston wrote: »
    Don't want to seem like I'm backseat modding, but any reason we're not discussing backrow options in the buildup thread?

No reason at all. Thread here people. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057507534&page=10

• Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I suppose to put things into perspective we really have the spine of the team still in order. Best, Toner, Heaslip, Murray, Sexton (probably) and Rob Kearney are all going to step up from here. Add in Earls (probably), Bowe, Ross, Healy and Henry and we've players who've played in HC finals and 6N pressure games. No need to panic about sunday - we beaten the argies before and i'd say Schmidt won't have left any tiny detail to chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,297 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

It looks to me like Joe is waiting till monday to decide who to call up for Payne (assuming we win), probably no need now for an outside back so will wait till he sees how sunday goes injury wise.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

salmocab wrote: »
    It looks to me like Joe is waiting till monday to decide who to call up for Payne (assuming we win), probably no need now for an outside back so will wait till he sees how sunday goes injury wise.

Maked sense also as he can call up anyone instantly it could potentially cover any short term knocks to say a Scrum half or prop in the run up.

• Administrators Posts: 53,459 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Heard from my usual good source that Trimble will now be called up for Payne. The delay was because they were worried SOB might pick up a longer ban and in that case would have called up another forward instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Flipper22

awec wrote: »
    Heard from my usual good source that Trimble will now be called up for Payne. The delay was because they were worried SOB might pick up a longer ban and in that case would have called up another forward instead.

Makes sense.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Just wondering how people feel Earls got on at centre at the weekend. Obvious knock-on aside, I thought he was solid, but wouldn't mind reading a more nuanced, expert opinion. Perhaps stupidly, I'm still somewhat worried about Payne's absence as I thought he was masterful in defence, and I feel defence will win this world cup. That said, no tries leaked on Sunday against France is a fine record.
    Cheers.

I noticed more than one occasion on Sunday where Earls went for Bastareaud and couldn't even get his arms around him :D Once they were even standing still.

Don't think we'll have that problem with any of the Argentinian's.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

I noticed more than one occasion on Sunday where Earls went for Bastareaud and couldn't even get his arms around him :D Once they were even standing still.

Don't think we'll have that problem with any of the Argentinian's.

maradona maybe :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

"Yeah look I think there was a lot of feedback around Jared Payne, mainly because people, a few people who hadn't done their analysis, didn't understand enough about the game to understand what he brought to the game for us and I think the players really spoke about his value, about the value of his communication, his defensive decisiveness, his ability to carry the ball forward, the quality of his passing, his decision making. All those elements that you want in the middle of your backline. I think for the back three he was very much the conduit for the inside three and the backs and his experience across both Southern Hemisphere and Northern Hemisphere competitions allowed him to bring all of that together for us."

Pretty big middle finger to the Tv3 Analysts there!

In all my years following Ireland and leinster under Joe I've never seen him come out and say "I agree with recent media criticism of an individual one of my players"

I'd imagine that if a media outlet picked out exactly the same issues Joe highlighted to a player in a post match analysis Joe would still publically defend the player. And rightly so. But I don't think it necessarily means it's what he privately thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Flipper22

padser wrote: »
    In all my years following Ireland and leinster under Joe I've never seen him come out and say "I agree with recent media criticism of an individual one of my players"

I'd imagine that if a media outlet picked out exactly the same issues Joe highlighted to a player in a post match analysis Joe would still publically defend the player. And rightly so. But I don't think it necessarily means it's what he privately thinks.

Ah that's definitely what he privately thinks. He volunteered it himself rather than just coming out with platitudes. People regularly criticise different players, he obviously felt that that particular criticism was totally off the wall and it pissed him off enough to say something.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

padser wrote: »

Yeah but he didn't say "I disagree" he said the people criticising Payne didn't understand the game. That's a big claim to make when you're talking about an ex-international head coach and ex-professional players. Entirely volunteered as well, seems like a prepared comment to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Yeah but he didn't say "I disagree" he said the people criticising Payne didn't understand the game. That's a big claim to make when you're talking about an ex-international head coach and ex-professional players. Entirely volunteered as well, seems like a prepared comment to me.

Def prepared. The sting in the comment goes beyond what he'd normally say. There's no way it isn't prepared and genuine IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

gamma001 wrote: »
    Hendo wasn't meant to come on at 5 on Sunday, he was destined for 6 according to Joe until the injury.

Really?

That's interesting. I hadn't heard that.

Yeah, there is one thing defending your player when you are specifically asked about them or if they've just had a howler.

It's a different story entirely when you use an interview as a soap box to rubbish questions raised about a player (that isn't even part of the squad anymore).

I wouldn't have a shred of doubt that Joe's comments were very direct at a small handful of individuals.

My only concern is if we have a poor showing in this tournament the knives will be sharpened by those same quarters who obviously aren't overly contemplative in their criticism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Coach defends himself against criticism. Shocker. Is nothing taboo anymore?

Coach defends himself against criticism. Shocker. Is nothing taboo anymore?

Not quite what happened though, really. He's not defending himself here, he's going on the offensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

My only concern is if we have a poor showing in this tournament the knives will be sharpened by those same quarters who obviously aren't overly contemplative in their criticism.
    We've already equalled our best RWC showing ever. However, if we don't progress, I would suspect there will be nobody harder on Joe than he himself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Just wondering how people feel Earls got on at centre at the weekend. Obvious knock-on aside, I thought he was solid, but wouldn't mind reading a more nuanced, expert opinion. Perhaps stupidly, I'm still somewhat worried about Payne's absence as I thought he was masterful in defence, and I feel defence will win this world cup. That said, no tries leaked on Sunday against France is a fine record.

Also, I'm not very familiar with Ruddock. What would people consider his strengths/weaknesses in comparison to POM?

Cheers.

Earls is a fantastic rugby player. He has an immense amount of skill, similar in some ways to Geordan Murphy. His skills on the wing are top notch, his skills in the centre below the Tier 1 internationals are more than adequate but at the very top level he doesn't look comfortable at times. He can get out of position and while he is no dwarf he is a shade on the lightweight side because of this. He can get bumped more easily that is usual. Also, while all pro players should be able to give and take passes with dexterity, his distribution skills in the centre are less honed than those for example of Cave or Payne. His speed and acceleration in the 13 channel make him a real threat though if he was playing with an off loader such as McCloskey or Cave at 12. He is lightning quick. Fine player but maybe not a 100% 13.

Not quite what happened though, really. He's not defending himself here, he's going on the offensive.

Offence is the best form of defence.

aimee1 wrote: »
    maradona maybe :)

Funny, I immediately thought of Serge Blanco, one of the great players of the recent past, now looks like the Goodyear Blimp.

Yes he could have simply said that others are entitled to their view but it wasn't his. Williams obviously has - maybe with some justification - a residual gripe about his time in Ulster so that might reflect on his views. There is no doubt in my mind that he had some great ideas while here but didn't have the squad to succeed. Woody talks bollocks a lot of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,534 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

jacothelad wrote: »
    Woody talks bollocks a lot of the time.

The only thing there is he doesn't really tend to single out players for negative comments, unless they really stand out as deserving it, and that feels very different. I don't know whether Williams was given instructions to Dunphy/Hook it up a bit, but that felt like what he was doing with Payne.

The only thing there is he doesn't really tend to single out players for negative comments, unless they really stand out as deserving it, and that feels very different. I don't know whether Williams was given instructions to Dunphy/Hook it up a bit, but that felt like what he was doing with Payne.

Singles out Heaslip often enough.

It seemed more like a spoilt brat vendetta than analysis.

Can anyone give me a straight answer as to why Williams is the villain in all this, when no one seems to mind that Peter Stringer came straight out and said he'd drop Payne and play Earls at 13?

Can anyone give me a straight answer as to why Williams is the villain in all this, when no one seems to mind that Peter Stringer came straight out and said he'd drop Payne and play Earls at 13?

Peter Stringer is also a villain, but I think people expected more from Williams.

A recently departed Pro touting his ex-teammate is something we've seen before and expect.

Even Woods is a Munster man and has a reputation for saying some weird things, it was completely unexpected from Williams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Well one, stringer wasn't as scathing in his review, and two he's a scrum half so nobody is really listening to him anyway ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement