Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread V

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭gamma001

I really doubt it. Henderson did great at 5, and we have backrows ready to come into the team/bench. We also need cover at lock on the bench, if you start Ryan and Hendo then who provides that?

Hendo wasn't meant to come on at 5 on Sunday, he was destined for 6 according to Joe until the injury. Mcarthy has been called up. If hendo and Toner started I'd imagine he would only get 10 minutes or less unless he was needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,443 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

I still think Joe would prefer having Ryan on the bench, he has played in the RWC all along, rather than McCarthy who will only be available to train from Thursday. So Hendo to start at 5 for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

I still think Joe would prefer having Ryan on the bench, he has played in the RWC all along, rather than McCarthy who will only be available to train from Thursday. So Hendo to start at 5 for me.

in that case though we'll have ruddock on the bench who will be in the same boat. we're going to have to bench at least one call-up.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

I'd leave well enough alone at lock, normally I'd be more than happy for D. Ryan to start any game but a) Hendo had a stormer at lock and b) there will be enough disruption as is to the backrow without changing the second row as well.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Did I see something this morning about Sexton's scan being clear?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭ken76

Did I see something this morning about Sexton's scan being clear?

yep https://www.ultimaterugby.com/news/sexton-given-all-clear/353339

• Registered Users Posts: 10,531 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Hopefully it's an actual all-clear and not a Jared Payne all-clear

• Registered Users Posts: 10,732 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

MJohnston wrote: »
    Hopefully it's an actual all-clear and not a Jared Payne all-clear

I'm half expecting them to say his groin is all clear, however he's concussed and broken 3 ribs.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    I'm half expecting them to say his groin is all clear, however he's concussed and broken 3 ribs.

His groin in itself is fine, it's just not attached to his upper body anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Just following on from the visit from Rory McIlroy yesterday.

Luke Fitz demonstrating how to bend a driver shaft.

• Advertisement

3 weeks for OBRIEN as per guys on planet rugby

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

ken76 wrote: »
    3 weeks for OBRIEN as per guys on planet rugby

Yeah but still no proof at all from anyone there.

I can't imagine that is true, there's no way he gets 3 weeks after consideration of his disciplinary record, it's just not possible.

Yeah but still no proof at all from anyone there.

True .I'm probably overreacting. I'm just refreshing there and boards

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

ken76 wrote: »
    True .I'm probably overreacting. I'm just refreshing there and boards

There's a dedicated thread for that issue...but be warned, it's like entering the twillight zone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

I can't imagine that is true, there's no way he gets 3 weeks after consideration of his disciplinary record, it's just not possible.

Very plausible, if on the upper side. One is too low. I would give him two, but woudnt quibble if he gets the three.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Gotta love Joes comment on the criticism Payne received recently....

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

The best bit about that video is POC is slagging off Zebo's socks.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

"Yeah look I think there was a lot of feedback around Jared Payne, mainly because people, a few people who hadn't done their analysis, didn't understand enough about the game to understand what he brought to the game for us and I think the players really spoke about his value, about the value of his communication, his defensive decisiveness, his ability to carry the ball forward, the quality of his passing, his decision making. All those elements that you want in the middle of your backline. I think for the back three he was very much the conduit for the inside three and the backs and his experience across both Southern Hemisphere and Northern Hemisphere competitions allowed him to bring all of that together for us."

Pretty big middle finger to the Tv3 Analysts there!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 63 ✭✭Cronin The Destroyer

Just wondering how people feel Earls got on at centre at the weekend. Obvious knock-on aside, I thought he was solid, but wouldn't mind reading a more nuanced, expert opinion. Perhaps stupidly, I'm still somewhat worried about Payne's absence as I thought he was masterful in defence, and I feel defence will win this world cup. That said, no tries leaked on Sunday against France is a fine record.

Also, I'm not very familiar with Ruddock. What would people consider his strengths/weaknesses in comparison to POM?

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Journeyman_1

Just wondering how people feel Earls got on at centre at the weekend. Obvious knock-on aside, I thought he was solid, but wouldn't mind reading a more nuanced, expert opinion. Perhaps stupidly, I'm still somewhat worried about Payne's absence as I thought he was masterful in defence, and I feel defence will win this world cup. That said, no tries leaked on Sunday against France is a fine record.

Also, I'm not very familiar with Ruddock. What would people consider his strengths/weaknesses in comparison to POM?

Cheers.

Ruddock is a beast, very strong in the tackle area and a strong carrier. Will put 100% into the performance.

EDIT: weaknesses are not as strong in the lineout as POM imo.

If Ruddock plays then they will play someone else to jump in the lineout. He can't jump at the front, he's too bulky. They'll put Heaslip, SOB or Henry there. SOB has done it before but he might be missing.

I'm still worried about Earls defensively. He looked all at sea a few times on Sunday, just France were too poor to take advantage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 63 ✭✭Cronin The Destroyer

Ruddock is a beast, very strong in the tackle area and a strong carrier. Will put 100% into the performance.

EDIT: weaknesses are not as strong in the lineout as POM imo.

Thanks. Sounds promising. I remember seeing him play for Ireland a while back and being impressed. How is he at rucks/stealing etc.?

Thanks. Sounds promising. I remember seeing him play for Ireland a while back and being impressed. How is he at rucks/stealing etc.?

He's known for being one of the strongest players on the Irish team. His nickname is "man child" because he was already among the strongest when he was a teenager.

He's not going to win many turnovers in defense, he's not that type of player, but when we have the ball he makes it very very difficult to win any from us. He's also an exceptionally good lineout lifter, which is important if your two 2nd rows are 20 stone behemoths.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Ruddock's biggest strength is his tackling. He's an absolute beast there. He also is a very effective cleaner.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

molloyjh wrote: »
    Gotta love Joes comment on the criticism Payne received recently....

Yeah it's a good dig at people who haven't done their analysis and don't understand the game. Ouch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

If Ruddock plays then they will play someone else to jump in the lineout. He can't jump at the front, he's too bulky. They'll put Heaslip, SOB or Henry there. SOB has done it before but he might be missing.

They might use Murphy at the front? He'd be at the lighter end of our pack and he's not bad in the air

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,016 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

So with SOB out, I suppose we'll go with:

Henderson
    Henry
    Heaslip

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement