Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Peds Peddler - 400m & The Mile

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

MY BAD wrote: »
    Keep ticking over nice and easy for a while, don't go cold turkey on it!

Ha thanks, I won't, even just for my head id have to do something. If I jack it ill be looking to recover and build for indoors, just a bit more sensibly. I can kick myself for doing too much but I do recall being absolutely desperate to get out for a run every day during lockdown so I guess it helped me a lot then

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭overpronator

You were flying/comfortable Thursday on the track so I dunno that you even need to go cold turkey. Maybe just focus on the sharper stuff for a while in a block? You've 2+ months of straight up basework done and it won't have gone away, might be time to just change focus now. Its either that or i guess find a pace that allows you to just complete a tempo session or two and get the ball rolling from there? The boss will tell you anyway no doubt!

You were flying/comfortable Thursday on the track so I dunno that you even need to go cold turkey. Maybe just focus on the sharper stuff for a while in a block? You've 2+ months of straight up basework done and it won't have gone away, might be time to just change focus now. Its either that or i guess find a pace that allows you to just complete a tempo session or two and get the ball rolling from there? The boss will tell you anyway no doubt!

Thanks Shane. Thats an option alright, just go straight into 400 training and see where it takes me. Probably injured :pac: I feel like i was flying last Thursday more so cause the session suits me, still had that dead feeling in legs but could complete the reps with ease. Plenty to think and moan about, no better man :D

Sensible thing to do is probably do nothing or just run easy, neither of which sound very appealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Do what you love, as Shane says - you've already got loads of miles in your legs - the season is basically here and it's a short one. And you can always embrace your inner sprinter when you're tackling aerobic work too, just like Donovan Brazier running 1:42 off 30mpw!

You worked into indoors over a few races so you can do the same here - a couple of Gradeds, Leinsters, Seniors and Masters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭overpronator

Sub 2 incoming.

• Advertisement

Sub 2 incoming.

I was reading a study on ots last night from trinity online library. The inability to recover after sessions really hit home. It just said lower intensity, more rest and it will click eventually.

Had a chat with the coach and while we initially decided to train 2 days a week, fast stuff, ive come back and said im taking a break. I just feel worse now than when it started about a month ago. Its like 1 step forward 2 steps back every time you have a decent session because it takes the whole week to recover. I feel a bit more relieved now that I've just accepted it. Forget about competition, get healthy, if things return to normal soon can review it then but no pressure. I'll keep up some swimming mixed with some easy runs/strides and just see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Good luck with the recovery. Good idea to keep the strides going. When they feel good you're on the right track

6th - Rest
    7th - Failed tempo
    8th - Rest
    9th - Lunch swim
    10th - Lunch swim
    11th - Rest
    12th - Rest
    13th - Lunch swim
    14th - Lunch Swim. warm up and 6 hard-ish strides, felt pretty good but noticeably out of breath during and bit sore today, will try again in a few days
    15th - Lunch Swim

how exciting :rolleyes:

16th - Rest
    17th - 20min swim
    18th - Test

4 x 300 off 6 rest

45, 44, 44, 44

Threw on spikes for the last one just to give me a boost and get the legs ready for a potential block of 400 training. Now to sit back and see how recovery goes.

• Advertisement

19th - rest
    20th - rest
    21st - Special Endurance

300 @39 30s rest 100@15 15 min rest
    150 all out, 30s rest, 150 all out 15 min rest
    200 @ 26

Probably a risky session to do but it went pretty well considering. The 100m should be faster so I gotta work those lactic sessions

22nd - rest
    23rd - rest
    24th - rest
    25th - Speed

2 x 30m from blocks, 2 x 50m from blocks, 6 x 60m, 5min rest between all reps

I left it at 4 x 60m, felt it was enough, and the session is too long. Id probably drop the shorter stuff next time as you'd be there all day

Slight wind on my back, standing start, decent times, I don't think I have to worry about speed, its the last 100m i need to worry about.

26th - hangover
    27th - Rest

Id love to say i feel good again but i really dont. Going to continue 2 sessions per week and race the 400 at leinsters. Will decide then whether to continue. It would be nice to have some closure to the season after the months of training. I'm a little concerned that this issue is going to persist into next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Would you consider even doing 10-20 minutes on the off days? Easy/fast, however you feel? Or do you have no appetite even for that?

Sacksian wrote: »
    Would you consider even doing 10-20 minutes on the off days? Easy/fast, however you feel? Or do you have no appetite even for that?

I go for a swim some days. Its not that i dont have an appetite for it, i just feel like I need the rest. I get pins and needles in my legs/arms, tbh its worrying that i still get it all this time later despite the couple of weeks off and now only training twice a week

• Registered Users Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

I have an un-diagnosed condition that comes and goes going as far back as 2013. The symptoms involve weakness/fatigue but mostly dizziness which is a real motivation sapper. It's resulted in me taking lots of breaks over the last few years. Eventually I just started running through it once I realised it didn't appear running related and so the exercise did not aggravate it.

I did the whole rigmarole of health screening though. Examinations, MRIs etc. spoke to few different GPs and a Neurosurgeon. Never got to the bottom of it but for peace of mind you should get a check-up.

I have an un-diagnosed condition that comes and goes going as far back as 2013. The symptoms involve weakness/fatigue but mostly dizziness which is a real motivation sapper. It's resulted in me taking lots of breaks over the last few years. Eventually I just started running through it once I realised it didn't appear running related and so the exercise did not aggravate it.

I did the whole rigmarole of health screening though. Examinations, MRIs etc. spoke to few different GPs and a Neurosurgeon. Never got to the bottom of it but for peace of mind you should get a check-up.

I went to doctor and they took my bloods, everything they checked for was clear. Not sure what else I can do? I think I took 10 days off with just some swimming, like i wonder was that just not enough. Its so hard to know what to do! As it is i can train, rest a few days, train again, and ill feel perfect for those sessions, but in the few days in between theres a recovery process that usually involves pins and needles. Strange

That's good. Hopefully you're correct that you're simply looking at a burn-out. Came across it a lot in my time in GAA with young lads pulled between county, college and club commitments. Some played through with ever reducing performances. Not always ending up injured but they got no thanks from hard to please supporters who thought they weren't interested in their club. It probably happens less now with workloads being managed a bit more.

One or two smart ones took some time out though. If I remember rightly it was more than 10 days. Definitely a couple of weeks but possibly more.

That's good. Hopefully you're correct that you're simply looking at a burn-out. Came across it a lot in my time in GAA with young lads pulled between county, college and club commitments. Some played through with ever reducing performances. Not always ending up injured but they got no thanks from hard to please supporters who thought they weren't interested in their club. It probably happens less now with workloads being managed a bit more.

One or two smart ones took some time out though. If I remember rightly it was more than 10 days. Definitely a couple of weeks but possibly more.

God i hope it is just burnout and nothing more sinister. i think i'll race Leinsters and then decide if whether or not i want to keep going until masters then take a full break.

Sigh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

I wonder could this be Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. I know a few people who had that.

Yep maybe. I guess my options are to stop now for an extended period. End season at leinsters just to give some closure. End season after Masters/Seniors. The last one is ideal but then i run the risk of bringing this issue into next season. Will have a think...

So I'm going to take a break for as long as it takes, for real this time! Thanks everyone who's supported me throughout the season, appreciate it. Life is pretty busy at home with the baby that never sleeps, buying our 120 year old home that is being renovated top to bottom, getting married soon, missus's health isnt great, its not a bad time to for me to step away really. I may need to go back to the doctor but first things first I'm just going to rest for a couple of weeks, there's no point wasting more money on doctors if i haven't fully ruled out OTS. If i find after 2 weeks doing nothing im still getting pins and needles I will certainly go looking for answers. For now im just going to assume i havent let myself recover enough. All going well I will start back with some easy running and swimming in a few weeks.

Thanks again, good luck with the rest of your seasons :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

All the best Chief, hope you’re back to yourself soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Mulberry

Sounds like a good time to take a break all right. See you at the indoors hopefully. Best of luck with the old pins and needles, hope they disappear soon.

IvoryTower wrote: »
    So I'm going to take a break for as long as it takes, for real this time! Thanks everyone who's supported me throughout the season, appreciate it. Life is pretty busy at home with the baby that never sleeps, buying our 120 year old home that is being renovated top to bottom, getting married soon, missus's health isnt great, its not a bad time to for me to step away really. I may need to go back to the doctor but first things first I'm just going to rest for a couple of weeks, there's no point wasting more money on doctors if i haven't fully ruled out OTS. If i find after 2 weeks doing nothing im still getting pins and needles I will certainly go looking for answers. For now im just going to assume i havent let myself recover enough. All going well I will start back with some easy running and swimming in a few weeks.

Thanks again, good luck with the rest of your seasons :cool:

I can't believe that was July!! I've really been out of the game a while now. I ended up going to see a neurologist who reckoned it was stress. To be honest even after speaking to him I was in denial for quite some time, I continued to pile work on myself and the issues continued to happen. Feeling much better now, not 100%, but definitely feel like I'm getting there, slowly. Got married last week, bought our home a few weeks before, still renovating but now I'm paying people to do the work! I got out for a jog this morning after a couple of weeks completely off and damn it felt good. No fancy goals next year, just get fit and healthy first. Lots of chilling the **** out. Maybe some club training for the social element. We'll see, 2021 gonna be great :cool:

Congrats IT. Three major life milestones in one year! Sure what'd be stressing you :D

I was tempted to post a couple of times for an update but sometimes it's best leave sleeping dogs lie so it's good to hear you're getting back to yourself. All the best in 2021.

Congrats IT. Three major life milestones in one year! Sure what'd be stressing you :D

I was tempted to post a couple of times for an update but sometimes it's best leave sleeping dogs lie so it's good to hear you're getting back to yourself. All the best in 2021.

Thanks Dubh, look forward to following your 2021

Damn look at that. Get fit in 2021, that was ambitious. I finally got medication in December 2021 and things have started to look up since. Its been stop start for the last 2 months while I try to get going again but it's coming together slowly. At this moment I would like to spend the next few months getting fitness back with the hope of maybe competing again in the winter. The only downside to my medication is I'm basically too chill, that anxious adhd riddled drive which fueled many a 6am run is currently not available. But the want to be fit is strong as ever so here go again.

Mon - Rest

Tues - 3 x 10min steady, not fussing with pace right now

wed - 5 aside, bad idea but my friends were stuck, tried to go handy

Thurs - 4 x 1200, little but fasster than Tuesday but nothing stressful

Fri - Rest

Good to be back.

Sat - wanted to do hill but after a few reps decided it wasnt going to happen

Sun - 5mile crawl

Mon - rest

Tues - 3 x 10min @7.45

Wed - Rest

Thurs - 7 x 800 @3.37-3.40

Friday - Rest

Saturdays - Rest, not ready for 4 days just yet

Sunday 6miles crawl

A good week, things improving slowly. Will add an easy run soon hopefully, I just want to make sure the feet, Achilles etc are ready for more.

2 more good weeks back to back, added a 20min easy run on Monday, will start to add more easy running now. Lots of stretching and rolling.

Tues - tempo 4 x 10min

Wed - rest

Thurs - 8 x 800@3.35 w60s rest

Fri - Rest

Sat - Rest

Sun - 7m slow

Mon - 20min easy

Tues = 40min tempo 7.50 pace

Wed, Thurs, Friday = rest

Sat = 400 on 400 off, light session

Sun = 5k easy

Finding the tempos exhausting and don't suit me so having done a bit of research I stumbled across the EIM, easy interval method which sounds ideal for getting me back fit without much stress on the body.

It goes something like this, (but swap one out for a rest day)

Mon - 200 on 200 off intervals

Tues - 1k on 1k off intervals

Wed - 200 on 200 off intervals

thurs - 400 on 400 off intervals

Fri - 200 on 200 off intervals

Sat - something hard like a time trial

Sun - should be another interval session but ill do long easy run with friends

Everything apart from Saturday is done light enough so that you are fully recovered for the next day, it will be something like 200s at mile pace, 400s at 5k pace, 1ks at half marathon pace.

Starting this week, going to be cautious until i get a feel for it. I should never feel like im fighting to get a rep done, always within myself

• Advertisement

Welcome back IT.

Have a check at Lainey's log if you're looking at EIM. She's been following it for over a year now at least I think (maybe nearly two years now) .

Advertisement