Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lenny, Alek and Rob's cyclo crossbromance

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    It's great that CX is becoming so popular as a winter sport, but...

Had an incident this evening in a park in south dublin. A couple of us were out, we weren't getting in anyone's way, we weren't littering and the "damage" to the park is no more severe than the broken glass, cans and other litter we came across.

Still, we were approached by a man (after he put his dogs back on the lead), who asked "are you local?". Yes, it started like that.

Anyway, he proceeded to tell us that this was a private park (it may be, but there is no signage) and that the locals are getting sick of the cyclists appearing in it, cutting up the grass. He said there were plans to put tacks down around the park. I was surprised, and pretty angry, but kept it composed and asked would it not be better to erect signs to warn people away. No, he was adamant that the tacks were the best solution.

Just be careful out there, maybe give people a wide berth and stay off the beaten path as much as possible.

Sounds like a knob having a bad day. It would hardly be a private park if said knob was out with the dogs off the lead too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

25sean wrote: »
    Was that cherry wood? I met some lunatic out there who said the same thing....

Yep! Northern guy with two pale coloured dogs?

Fine if it is private (I have no way to verify)...but it's not like we were cutting up the rose beds. We're mostly riding through long grass. But like I said to him, put up signs, do something legal...why set out to maim and injure people??

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭25sean

Yep! Northern guy with two pale coloured dogs?

Fine if it is private (I have no way to verify)...but it's not like we were cutting up the rose beds. We're mostly riding through long grass. But like I said to him, put up signs, do something legal...why set out to maim and injure people??

Northern guy! The very same! Not sure he's all there.. Putting down tacks?! Jayziz!!

Park is public as far as I know... Think I'll head down tomorrow after work for an hour!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭lukegjpotter

The park is not listed on SDCC's list of parks, only Corkagh, Dodder Valley, Griffeen Valley, Tymon, Sean Walsh and Rathcoole are.
    http://www.sdcc.ie/services/parks-recreation/parks

Often times there was sticks, and small tree branches covering the zig-zag tree section.

You could to try to out Blaggard him, with insane friendliness.
    H: Are you local?
    U: Ya man, just bought a house in Wyattville, over there. It's a nice short commute home after my job in the legal department of Dell. Are you local yourself?
    H: Blah, Locals are not happy...
    U: As a new resident, how can I attend these resident meetings? I hope they don't interfere with The Walking Dead coming back, do you watch that show?
    H: Gonna put down tacks...
    U: When I was over there earlier I see some broken glass and cans. Might even be some syringes. The Tacks might also hurt your doggies paw-paws. Be careful neighbor.

Maybe also throw in something about Dog **** too.

Or just complete mind-**** him by pretending to be the new Vet, although the Clinic is open from 8am-7pm.
    H: Are you local?
    U: Nice dogs, woof, woof, woof, grrr, bark, bark, bark. I love animals, just started in the Vet Clinic down the road.

Banter though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Just be sensitive to local residents concerns, if you build up enough bad will for Cyclocrossers in South Dublin parks then people will complain enough to SDCC which will force them to refuse permits for CX races in parks they manage...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

The park is not listed on SDCC's list of parks, only Corkagh, Dodder Valley, Griffeen Valley, Tymon, Sean Walsh and Rathcoole are.
    http://www.sdcc.ie/services/parks-recreation/parks

if it is Cherrywood area it wouldn't be SDCC anyway. Kilbogget park is DLRCC, and I can't remember if the parklands in Cherrywood are theirs or are part of the Hines purchase.

if it is Cherrywood area it wouldn't be SDCC anyway. Kilbogget park is DLRCC, and I can't remember if the parklands in Cherrywood are theirs or are part of the Hines purchase.

It might be covered under the listing for "Loughlinstown Park" on http://www.dlrcoco.ie/en/parks-and-outdoors/parks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

I think a bit of this is inevitable with the increase in people out training on cross bikes - myself included.

A few of us (STCC) have been down in Cherrywood and other places recently and have bumped into Orwell, Bray Wheelers and other clubs doing similar training. It's mostly after work during the week - maybe we should look at different times? Might be worth creating a bit of communication between us?

A little sensitivity and looking for alternative places/times to train will go a long way towards avoiding conflict as Tenzor07 says.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

A group used to use a park in Knocklyon for cross training mid-week, worked for a couple of years until the group got bigger and one of the locals objected - think there were around 50 people there some nights. All the underage kids drinking there should have been more of an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭C3PO

He said there were plans to put tacks down around the park.

Seems like a strange thing for a guy who was letting his dogs loose around the park to suggest ........ does he plan on having them wear shoes to protect their paws?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭25sean

4 hour CX session in Cherrywood tonight!!! Bring Power Meters!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

Excellent race by Navan RC today, I'd recommend everyone to do the next couple they're running.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Not a great day at the races for me, but wow...what a superb event from Navan Road Club, the organisation, the venue, the course, the attention to detail were superb! +1 on what Mr.Grieves said, this was definitely worth the trip!

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭luapenak

Fair play to Navan today. Tough as. A lot of fancy cameras on the sidelines. Any pics and results?

Well done to Navan for the event. The beer hand-ups took the edge off the rough day. The coffee was nicely priced and the free cup cake was great. The free Chicken Curry was a nice touch too.

The tussle between Kinning and Conroy in the A race was interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Bummed to miss today. Badly timed head cold. Was the course much different to last years.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

Very well run race. Great venue and a super day. Well done to Navan rc. Found the new course tough but a good challenge. I went off a bit mad at the start and blew up early. Was 2nd coming off the pitches and then just lost places as i tried to catch a breath. Ended up 40th. Feel i should be able to get a top 20. Struggled to get into a good rythym. Need to work on pacing myself better and i think i can save a lot of time by learning to ride the flat bumpy stuff better too. The quick lads seem to glide over it. Need to mock up some boards in the local park too and practice jumping those bad boys! They are a killer for time. Roll on next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

Bummed to miss today. Badly timed head cold. Was the course much different to last years.

They took out the sloggy boggy section and that whole section up to the old finish line. The nice singletrack in the trees was exactly the same. A huge amount of work with a JCB went into laying gravel to smooth out some of the bumps and improve the big mound ride-up/down. It was an excellent course but quite bumpy as the ground is still hard - it might soften by the next race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

I'd say that course could get very interesting when it's wet.:D
    Looks like a great redesign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Entries for Kilternan race are open. Unannounced this time, hence no B places left, ffs.

Anyone want to sell theirs?

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭scott.s

I presume the Kilternan course will be changed from last year's to make it easy to light?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Shouldn't think it would be...

Anybody got a list of all the upcoming cx races. Think rob did a nice one last year. Could it be stickyed to thread somehow?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

detones wrote: »
    Anybody got a list of all the upcoming cx races. Think rob did a nice one last year. Could it be stickyed to thread somehow?

Working on it !

The tussle between Kinning and Conroy in the A race was interesting.

According the Glenn's Instagram he dropped his chain on the last lap, hence David getting a 30 second gain/swing on him.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BLGj84cjoX1/

detones wrote: »
    RobFowl wrote: »
    Working on it !

Here's one I made earlier:

Oct
    Sun 3: Navan Rd 1
    Sun 9: Lakeside Wheelers CX Rd 1 Mullingar
    Sat 15: Fixx Rd 2 Kilternan Evening
    Sun 23: Kinnings Rd 2 Belfast
    29/30: Free

Nov
    Sun 6: Navan Rd 2
    Sun 13: Fixx Rd 3
    Sun 20: Epic MTB CX Firhouse
    Sun 27: Bray Wheelers CX Killruddery

Dec
    Sun 4: Leinster CX Champs Navan
    Sun 11: Fixx Rd 4
    17/18: Free
    24/25: Free
    Sun 1: Kinnings Rd 3 Belfast

Jan
    Sun 8: Nat CX Champs
    Sun 15: Kinnings Rd 4 Belfast

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Fixx 1 - Grangecastle 25/09/2016
    CX Navan / UCX2 Falls Park 02/10/2016
    UCX3 Irvinestown / MCX1 Fota Island, Cork 09/10/2016
    UCX4 - Lady Dixon Park / MCX2 - Ennis 16/10/2016
    CCX 1 / Kinning Series - Ice Bowl Belfast 23/10/2016
    UCX5 - Derry / MCX3 - Mallow 30/10/2016
    CCX 2 / Navan CX 06/11/2016
    MCX Aghada 12/11/2016
    Fixx 3 - Likely Glencullen 13/11/2016
    Tymon CX EPIC / CCX 3 / MCX 4 Kilarney 20/11/2016
    Kilruddery CX Bray Wheelers / MCX5 Tipperary 27/11/2016
    CCX 4 / Navan CX 04/12/2016
    Fixx 4 - Secret venue or Tymon / CCX 5
    Ulster CX Champs - Tollymore 18/12/2016
    Christmas Day 25/12/2016
    New Years Day CCX Champs / Ulster Hazelbank Belfast 01/01/2017
    Irish National Cyclo-cross Championships 08/01/2017
    Kinnings CX - Stormount 15/01/2017

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Fair play to all at Navan RC for putting on the race yesterday. An hour of power indeed! Great work to have permanent council approved access to the park for training and racing.

• Advertisement

Thanks Luke.

Anyone done the lakeside wheelers events before? What's it like. mullingar not too far.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement