Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lenny, Alek and Rob's cyclo crossbromance

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Pablo Rubio

Lesson learnt today.
    When cx training in your local park/trails and you get an overwhelm!ng smell of dog poo that doesnt go away.........it may be actually stuck to the back of your helmet..

Here endeth the lesson.!

Be careful out there.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Lots of CX training going on in the Phoenix Park this morning. The sport is definitely growing, maybe soon it won't be seen as strange to cycle in a wet field and repeatedly jump off and on your bike :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Tubs glued. Fingers glued. Head stuck to table. Roll on next Sunday. Someone bring acetone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭lizzylad84

Anyone know where I can get tr an wall clinchers?

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Pablo Rubio

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

colm18 wrote: »
    Lots of CX training going on in the Phoenix Park this morning. The sport is definitely growing, maybe soon it won't be seen as strange to cycle in a wet field and repeatedly jump off and on your bike :p

The only clear sign of popularity is when they try and ban something...

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

What do folk do with their expensive Garmin during the races, just use them as normal?. I'm afraid of smashing up my new 520. Not sure it be much safer in my jersey pocket though in case my fat arse landed on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭koutoubia

lennymc wrote: »
    Tubs glued. Fingers glued. Head stuck to table. Roll on next Sunday. Someone bring acetone.

Effetto Mariposa Carogna Tub Tape.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/effetto-carogna-sm-tape/rp-prod150153
    You will never use glue again!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

koutoubia wrote: »
    Effetto Mariposa Carogna Tub Tape.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/effetto-carogna-sm-tape/rp-prod150153
    You will never use glue again!

Amen to that,fantastic stuff.

detones wrote: »
    What do folk do with their expensive Garmin during the races, just use them as normal?. I'm afraid of smashing up my new 520. Not sure it be much safer in my jersey pocket though in case my fat arse landed on it.

Use as normal. On the stem or out front mount, it's in a fairly protected spot,unless you have the mother of all crashes.I'd be afraid of it flying out of a jersey pocket and it would be hard to read.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

Use as normal. On the stem or out front mount, it's in a fairly protected spot,unless you have the mother of all crashes.I'd be afraid of it flying out of a jersey pocket and it would be hard to read.:D

It's quite protected on the stem. I wouldn't use an out front mount, I've heard of one being damaged that way in a crash.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

It's quite protected on the stem. I wouldn't use an out front mount, I've heard of one being damaged that way in a crash.

I put mine on the stem but also put a cable tie around it to help hold it on

I've mine on the stem now but last year I had it on an out front mount. The mount I used had the Garmin below the stem front plate and close into the bars, so it was in a position that nothing could hit it. It's a tad more exposed on top of the stem but only an unlucky spill would even put it in any danger of getting a hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Don't use mine for off road racing, if you have a pit bike there's no point. The pros use the watches.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

For all the non-pro's like Nak, I picked up one of these in Expert Cycles, saves all the messing around with the plastic rubber band garmin mounts!

http://k-edge.com/shop/computer-mounts/gravity-top-cap-mount/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

nak wrote: »
    Don't use mine for off road racing, if you have a pit bike there's no point. The pros use the watches.

I use mine, but I tend to agree that it's not much use (more so if I had a pit bike). There is timing in cross races, you don't need a garmin. Just add a 1 hour manual activity afterwards.

Your heart rate will be sky high, there. Analysis over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    I use mine, but I tend to agree that it's not much use (more so if I had a pit bike). There is timing in cross races, you don't need a garmin. Just add a 1 hour manual activity afterwards.

Your heart rate will be sky high, there. Analysis over.

Analysis of the HR is for sure the second most fun part of the afterwards analysis of a CX race, however with no garmin there is no fly-by.
    Fly-by is awesome.

The laptime analysis as you say does not need a garmin, that's fun too.

And then there's the oul self analysis, was I assertive enough into that first corner, should I have employed more elbow, what tyre pressure would have been perfect for that course in those conditions, why won't anyone buy my bike, I wonder will there be any sandwiches left if I go for a proper cooldown, all the questions...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Peterx wrote: »
    Analysis of the HR is for sure the second most fun part of the afterwards analysis of a CX race, however with no garmin there is no fly-by.
    Fly-by is awesome.

Not CX related but flyby is dangerous, it helps me put a name to the face of assh*ts on bikes, wish i had never heard of it.

I have a parking pass for Grangecastle on Sunday if anyone needs it?

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭EH

See for cycling advert, price €20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭onthefringe

colm18 wrote: »
    I have a parking pass for Grangecastle on Sunday if anyone needs it?

would very much appreciate it if its still going??

To get you in the mood for tomorrow, Jingle Cross is starting at 9.20 on the UCI YouTube channel.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

If anyone sees Lenny can you tell him i got cold waiting for him to finish and had to go. Hope he can get a bit closer to me over the course of the season.
    No shame in finishing behind an old man with asthma who didnt get a TUE ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭koutoubia

RobFowl wrote: »
    If anyone sees Lenny can you tell him i got cold waiting for him to finish and had to go. Hope he can get a bit closer to me over the course of the season.
    No shame in finishing behind an old man with asthma who didnt get a TUE ;).

he is not answering his Facebook messages and not on here! Maybe he is still out not the course!

Last I saw of him he was wandering around the car-park muttering 'mechanical'to himself..

Good fun out there today. Nice not to have a muddy bike to clean for once.

I know most race locations are safe enough but while the A race was on I copped two lads checking out cars on the main road. Kept an eye on them and they showed great interest in a bike on a rear car rack.I walked back up to the bike, luckily it was locked to the rack but given time and no one around, they'd be off with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Just so there is no doubt who won

397702.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Good fun out there today. Nice not to have a muddy bike to clean for once.

I know most race locations are safe enough but while the A race was on I copped two lads checking out cars on the main road. Kept an eye on them and they showed great interest in a bike on a rear car rack.I walked back up to the bike, luckily it was locked to the rack but given time and no one around, they'd be off with it.

Saw them too, probably the same lads who've been stealing bikes from the Pfizer car park.

nak wrote: »
    Saw them too, probably the same lads who've been stealing bikes from the Pfizer car park.

Little shítebags. They kept looking back to see where I was. I had a friend leaving that was parked further up the road. Got them to hang around in sight of the bike while I went to the PA guy to put a shout out for people with cars parked along that road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,428 ✭✭✭Gerry

That was great crack! First race on the budget planet x ( jawgaps old bike). Handles brilliantly, and the brakes weren't needed. What a great course, good and fast. Aside from the shmozzles near start it was great racing. Paced myself enough to leave some in the tank for sprints at finish. Still buzzing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement