Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

June 2016 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

I went into town today to finish off my Christmas shopping and also buy a few new maternity clothes. Last time around I got away with a lot of light tops as the baby was due in Oct (although arrived in September) but I'll need heavier jumpers and the like this time, also some more formal work wear than you'd wear during the summer months.
    I went to Jo Jo Maman Bebe and got 2 jumpers, 2 tops and a pair of jeans. The sizes still fit same as last time so all the rest of the gear that I packed away will still work which is good to know. I will need to get a few items (trousers or dresses) for work too but for now that will do.
    Actually given that I've no need to get into maternity clothes yet (9+9) I'm terribly organised but my chances to get into town with my husband to help ferry our 14 month old around are few and far between so I grabbed this opportunity with both hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭shivers27

I bought a good few maternity clothes in Mothercare Jervis Street on Wednesday actually and as that store is closing there were hugh reductions. Like €35 down to €7 :-) Lovely stuff aswell. I should have said here actually but forgot ! Probably some stuff left

I have it stashed away for another while, although probably not too long the way I'm going !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

shivers27 wrote: »
    I bought a good few maternity clothes in Mothercare Jervis Street on Wednesday actually and as that store is closing there were hugh reductions. Like €35 down to €7 :-) Lovely stuff aswell. I should have said here actually but forgot ! Probably some stuff left

I have it stashed away for another while, although probably not too long the way I'm going !

Oh thanks for the tip! I work in D2 so will try get over on an extended lunch. I'm not going to get much longer out of my work trousers, they're getting uncomfortable.

My little lady was with her granny and grandad all weekend, granted they're only up the road so we were in and out but the lie in until 9.30 both mornings was bliss!! Luckily she adores them and they her so I don't feel guilty leaving her. Can't say I did much with my time but lounge and spend from too long in my pyjamas!

I'm having pretty intense round ligament pain lately, I sneezed earlier and was almost crippled, the screams put the fear of God in my husband poor fella, thought it was a bit early for that??

Hope everyone else feeling well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Hazelnut Button

I've my booking in appointment tmrw. Both nervous and excited. Symptoms definitely eased off but feeling a bit nauseous today so hoping all is still good. Will tell family afterwards all going well.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Rogueish

I've been putting off pulling the remnants of my maternity wardrobe from the attic but my work clothes are getting a little too 'form fitting'. I had a client in work last week who kept looking at my tummy. I expected her to just blurt out 'Are you pregnant....?'

I am envious of all the early scans. We usually book a private scan after 12weeks so no scans 'til the second week in December. :-(

I've had a really good week. Apart from a little tenderness in my breasts it's hard to remember/believe that I am pregnant. I've had to double check the positive pregnancy test stick once or twice.

Good luck everyone keep healthy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭screamer

Hope it's ok to join the thread. Just had my dating scan done and due date is June 14th. I am expecting twins and thank God so far so good.

screamer wrote: »
    Hope it's ok to join the thread. Just had my dating scan done and due date is June 14th. I am expecting twins and thank God so far so good.

Twins wow, that's so exciting! Congrats :)

Hope you're feeling good!

screamer wrote: »

Wow twins! Congratulations & welcome.

Just had booking in appointment and thankfully all is well. Dated at 11wks 2days so due date 4th June. Tummy scan not nearly as clear as transvaginal. You can barely make out baby on pics. Carrying extra weight on my tummy doesn't help.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 bonnie_

Hi Everyone, I've been lurking about this thread for the past few weeks and finally I'm feeling ready to join in the chat. Thanks all for sharing, it's really good to hear other experiences.
    This is my first pregnancy and I'm about 9 weeks along. My husband and I are both feeling quite nervous but excited about it all. My booking appointment with the Domino midwives in holles street is in a few weeks time. Holles street don't offer a scan at 12 weeks so we've booked a private scan next week so we can check everything is going okay. It's still not feeling quite real yet so I'm hoping the scan will show all is okay and we an start to enjoy the pregnancy a bit more!
    So far feeling very tired and nauseous on and off but generally okay. I've an underactive thyroid which I've been aware of for a few years but as I've never had any symptoms as such I've not been on any medication for it. When I went to my GP a few weeks ago to confirm the pregnancy she flagged it straight away as needing to be treated. She started me on Eltroxin and referred me to the thyroid clinic in Holles street. My appointment with them was last week and the consultant there since doubled the dose. I've to go back for a follow up in a few weeks to check levels again so hopefully it will have settled by then. I wasn't aware of the importance of thyroid levels in pregnancy before now, feeling a little bit concerned and wishing I'd been on the eltroxin before TTC but I guess it's been caught pretty early so hopefully all will be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Letty35

Wow. So many posts already. Congrats everyone. I feel like I am joining this thread late. I am 9 weeks pregnant. This is my second baby. I am really anxious about going semi private. I wish we could afford to go private. I was home after the second night with the first. Nobody prepared me for those 2 nights. I am pretty sure a c-section is going to be advised for this baby.
    How long do people normally have to stay in after a c-section?
    Going to the rotunda - first scan on the 8th December.

Letty35 wrote: »
    Wow. So many posts already. Congrats everyone. I feel like I am joining this thread late. I am 9 weeks pregnant. This is my second baby. I am really anxious about going semi private. I wish we could afford to go private. I was home after the second night with the first. Nobody prepared me for those 2 nights. I am pretty sure a c-section is going to be advised for this baby.
    How long do people normally have to stay in after a c-section?
    Going to the rotunda - first scan on the 8th December.

Hi Letty, I had an emergency c section In the Rotunda as a public patient July 2014 and I was supposed to stay in for 3 nights but I had to self discharge after 2 nights due to going insane with literally no sleep :-( There were 10 of us in the room with our babies and it was all go during the night so noisy all night. I couldn't stay any longer !! So 3 nights is the policy in The Rotunda post section.

Im going semi private this time too :-)

bonnie_ wrote: »
    Hi Everyone, I've been lurking about this thread for the past few weeks and finally I'm feeling ready to join in the chat. Thanks all for sharing, it's really good to hear other experiences.
    This is my first pregnancy and I'm about 9 weeks along. My husband and I are both feeling quite nervous but excited about it all. My booking appointment with the Domino midwives in holles street is in a few weeks time. Holles street don't offer a scan at 12 weeks so we've booked a private scan next week so we can check everything is going okay. It's still not feeling quite real yet so I'm hoping the scan will show all is okay and we an start to enjoy the pregnancy a bit more!
    So far feeling very tired and nauseous on and off but generally okay. I've an underactive thyroid which I've been aware of for a few years but as I've never had any symptoms as such I've not been on any medication for it. When I went to my GP a few weeks ago to confirm the pregnancy she flagged it straight away as needing to be treated. She started me on Eltroxin and referred me to the thyroid clinic in Holles street. My appointment with them was last week and the consultant there since doubled the dose. I've to go back for a follow up in a few weeks to check levels again so hopefully it will have settled by then. I wasn't aware of the importance of thyroid levels in pregnancy before now, feeling a little bit concerned and wishing I'd been on the eltroxin before TTC but I guess it's been caught pretty early so hopefully all will be fine.

Hi bonnie, congrats!

Just to say I've an underactive thyroid and I've been treated for years. Don't be worrying, they've caught it early and you're being treated for it so you should be good now. Levels can go a bit crazy during pregnancy and if left untreated I believe can lead to early miscarriage which won't be an issue now it's being treated.

I attended the thyroid clinic in holles street last time, have decided to just let my endocrinologist deal with it this time as it means less getting in and out to the HS for appointments. He said he is going to have me get my blood tested every 6 weeks to keep an eye on levels.

Pre pregnancy my symptoms are mostly extreme tiredness and cold hands and feet, pregnancy just amplifies the tiredness in my opinion!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,819 ✭✭✭appledrop

Exciting times ahead ladies as we all get nearer our 12 week scans. Well another trip to the hospital for me this week due to vomiting. I have now been prescribed anti- nausea medication. I was hoping not to go down that route but just couldn't take it anymore and missing too much time in work even though they have been brilliant and very understanding. I'm only 9 weeks but have had to tell more people than I wanted because I have been so sick and can't hid it.

Screamer congratulations on the twins! They had to double check with me as bad nausea can be a sign of twins but I only have the one.

Regarding the maternity wear I don't need any right now, but where would be the best place to buy them for the in between stage when you have a small bump but the rest of you is pretty much the same shape?

appledrop wrote: »
    Exciting times ahead ladies as we all get nearer our 12 week scans. Well another trip to the hospital for me this week due to vomiting. I have now been prescribed anti- nausea medication. I was hoping not to go down that route but just couldn't take it anymore and missing too much time in work even though they have been brilliant and very understanding. I'm only 9 weeks but have had to tell more people than I wanted because I have been so sick and can't hid it.

Screamer congratulations on the twins! They had to double check with me as bad nausea can be a sign of twins but I only have the one.

Regarding the maternity wear I don't need any right now, but where would be the best place to buy them for the in between stage when you have a small bump but the rest of you is pretty much the same shape?

I really liked Jo Jo Maman Bebe and www.boobdesign.com for my maternity wear last time out. My bump was always quite compact and somehow I gained only 20lbs through the whole pregnancy and from the back you'd never have known I was pregnant.
    Boob design t-shirts I found great, really nice fabric, very comfortable to west, washed well and just grew with the bump.
    Jo Jo Maman have wrap tops in both short sleeve and long sleeve that were also very good. At the early stages you could just keep wrapping them around yourself and as the bump grew you just wrapped them a little less. I got lots of compliments on those.

"appledrop wrote: »

http://www.mothercare.ie/belly-belt-extender.html

I picked one of these up and find them great, I'm still in my skinny jeans so find this great for a bit of comfort, hoping to get a while yet out of them. I was just bump and boobs last time so hoping for the same this time!

Maternity wise I tend to stick to the high street, I find a lot of maternity wear is not my style at all. Topshop I love, their maternity jeans are exactly like their normal ones and wear great.
    There's a site called mamalicious.ie which is new since the last time I was pregnant, looks very interesting so I'll probably pick a few bits from there and see the quality. It's associated with vero moda so should be good, I love their jeans!

Work wise I've a few suit skirts and trousers from last time and I'll buy a few tops etc to dress them up.

Hope you're feeling better that sounds so lousy having to end up in hospital. I was throwing up in the shower this morning, dunno what it is about washing my hair, don't think I could have felt sorrier for myself if I tried getting out to work. Weather didn't help!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,819 ✭✭✭appledrop

Thanks for the advice ladies. I had a look at the website Jo Jo Maman Bebe and the clothes look fab. A good mix of nice dresses and tops so will definitely pay a visit to the shop when I start getting my bump.

Digs those belts look brilliant! The only plus side of being so sick is that I haven't put on an ounce. My clothes still fit me but my stomach is starting to get a slight bit round so they would work great. I having a good day today. Long may it continue!

appledrop wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice ladies. I had a look at the website Jo Jo Maman Bebe and the clothes look fab. A good mix of nice dresses and tops so will definitely pay a visit to the shop when I start getting my bump.

Digs those belts look brilliant! The only plus side of being so sick is that I haven't put on an ounce. My clothes still fit me but my stomach is starting to get a slight bit round so they would work great. I having a good day today. Long may it continue!

When I was pregnant with my daughter I was so nauseated every day for the first 16 weeks or so that I dropped 5/6 kg. It was great really.
    This time around the nausea has been making itself felt too and I've dropped about 3kg so far.
    Talk about looking for the silver lining to the nausea cloud!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Betsie_xr3i

12 weeks today woohoo still feel like crap though x everyone at work firms out last Friday we had our Christmas party nothing is a secret anymore x

Ah congrats Betsie :) it's a hard secret to keep.

A colleague of mine walked in on me wretching into my bin. She's been good enough not to say anything but having had three kids herself she's no fool. To be honest I feel I look like I've been dragged through a bush lately between exhaustion and sickness so anyone with half a brain putting two and two together would come up with the right answer, male colleagues will be oblivious however female are a bit more astute!

I have my hospital appt tomorrow two weeks and will be almost 14 weeks so will let it out then. My bump is definitely popping out though, I won't be getting away with it much longer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Betsie_xr3i

Thanks digs no keeping this a secret any more but it's out now no more of me legging it out if the run when taking xrays they now just wait for me to be out of the way x my hospital appointment is Thursday of next week I can't wait x

I have my scan on Monday, I'll be 11+1. After that if all is well, I'll be telling all our news :-) Fairly sure a good few colleagues know already as have had to avoid certain heavy, awkward lifting. Plus bump is fairly obvious in my uniform !

Feeling really nervous the past few days :-( Firstly about the scan on Monday and secondly about how I'll manage with two small children. My boy will be 23 months when this lo arrives. He has been so grumpy and clingy the past few days I'm panicking as to how I'll manage with a newborn too !!!

So I had my 3rd scan today and everything went great. The little one is flying along and has doubled in size and I'm measuring at 11+5 rather than just 11. My dates aren't going to change though unless the 20/22 week scan also puts me further along.
    The little one was trampolining away and it was great to see such activity. Thankfully now the odds of something going wrong are greatly reduced.

Great news penny, you must be relieved!

Shivers I am a bit apprehensive about going from one to two aswell, although my lady will be 3 when little one arrives and I'm more fearful of the fact she will have had centre stage for 3 years and then all of a sudden she has her world turned upside down with a new arrival, my heart pangs for her a little when I think of it. She's baby mad though, hugs the tv when she sees one so I'm hoping she'll have the same affection for her sister or brother. Amazing how much she gets already really, she loves lying with her head on my tummy :)

Digs wrote: »
    Great news penny, you must be relieved!

Shivers I am a bit apprehensive about going from one to two aswell, although my lady will be 3 when little one arrives and I'm more fearful of the fact she will have had centre stage for 3 years and then all of a sudden she has her world turned upside down with a new arrival, my heart pangs for her a little when I think of it. She's baby mad though, hugs the tv when she sees one so I'm hoping she'll have the same affection for her sister or brother. Amazing how much she gets already really, she loves lying with her head on my tummy :)

Aw that's so cute your little girl hugging the babies on the TV :-) She'll be a great little helper for you I bet, getting you nappies etc

What are people's feelings around testing for Downs etc? Last time out when I saw that the nucal fold was within normal ranges I decided to leave things well enough alone. Also the test had to be taken before I was 13 weeks and my booking scan was when I was 12+6 and the results took a good while to come back so I just left it.
    This time around I'm a year older and my thinking is a little different. Now I have a little girl to consider too and I have what will eventually become a debilitating illness with RA. That said I'm not sure what I/ we would do if the results are bad.
    The test is a simple blood test where they check your DNA and also you have a very detailed scan to measure the neck and nose, forehead area to see that they're within normal ranges. The results are back in 7/10 days too.
    I'm booked in to have the test tomorrow. I hesitated a bit but decided to just take the plunge and know one way or another. Fingers crossed the results will all be good and it will make for a (in so far as is possible) stress free remainder of my pregnancy.

What are people's feelings around testing for Downs etc? Last time out when I saw that the nucal fold was within normal ranges I decided to leave things well enough alone. Also the test had to be taken before I was 13 weeks and my booking scan was when I was 12+6 and the results took a good while to come back so I just left it.
    This time around I'm a year older and my thinking is a little different. Now I have a little girl to consider too and I have what will eventually become a debilitating illness with RA. That said I'm not sure what I/ we would do if the results are bad.
    The test is a simple blood test where they check your DNA and also you have a very detailed scan to measure the neck and nose, forehead area to see that they're within normal ranges. The results are back in 7/10 days too.
    I'm booked in to have the test tomorrow. I hesitated a bit but decided to just take the plunge and know one way or another. Fingers crossed the results will all be good and it will make for a (in so far as is possible) stress free remainder of my pregnancy.

I think that if you have concerns and it puts your mind at ease or in the worst case/alternate scenario allows you to plan ahead it's not a bad thing. My family is quite involved in adult and child intellectual disability care and even with that I don't know what I would do if faced with a positive diagnosis. All I can say is good luck and hopefully all will be well.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I had the screening done - it's standard on the NHS. I would always want as much information as possible - and our very low risk result did put my mind at ease.

How are people feeling in general? I'm finding feeling normal really hard to cope with. Feeling rubbish was weirdly reassuring. My boobs are barely sore and seem less veiny. Anyone else similar? Next appointment can't come soon enough.

• Advertisement

So I went to the Beacon for my Harmony test at lunchtime. I had a detailed scan which has the baby measuring in at 12 weeks. Big bouncing baby, moving around lots and lots again which was really lovely to see. Measurements were good too.
    Bloods taken and now its wait and see time.

Advertisement