Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stop, Search, Seize (Sky1)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

5starpool wrote: »
    How is that being a dick? He lives in NI, it's part of the UK. The officer was being very obnoxious way before that.

He refused to answer questions early on as well calling them stupid.

Anyway, I don't get it. We've spent weeks abusing our Amigo and now he's not on TV we are inconsolable. Which is it??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,744 ✭✭✭degsie

Think we are all suffering from Bruce withdrawal, lets keep focused and stop the in-fighting :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

This post has been deleted.

Ok, we didn't ask where you were coming from, Buddy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I only caught the last 5/10 minutes of this and I couldn't believe how much of a scrotum the customs officer was being. From the off his tone when asking questions were blatantly rude, I don't blame the foreign guy for being a bit cheeky when responding.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭chanelfreak

I came through the airport last Friday and I was utterly DEVASTATED not to see Bruce. Heading back home in Jan and I will be keeping my eyes peeled, the man is a fecking legend.

Someone needs to get Dermot and Bruce together on some kind of a travel tv show, that would be pure telly gold :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭.red.

Just found this thread yesterday and found it very entertaining.
    I really enjoy seeing the dogs in action. The girls in the parcel section (i think in shannon) are very funny too. Dermot looks like youd spend the day laughing if you were on shift with him but he still gets the job done.
    I was in stitches when the lady last night didnt know if she should declare her sandwich or not and he told her shed better eat it before she hit the channels.
    As for the 2 cnuts in dublin. Id be very surprised if nobodys ever taken a swing at them. Their downright rude and arrogant. Everyone else in that job seems to get the same results by being polite and mannerly.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Like others I didn't think Cogavin was that bad, the passenger was being a bit disrespectful.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭sanna

Im gutted, came through the airport today and no sight of Bruce Buddy! No sign of anyone from the show! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭rusty999

Tonight's show of Stop Search seize showed the arrogance of some people who wear a uniform and it seems to give them a sense of power over others. A young guy travelling from Eindhoven was unlucky enough to meet one of those officers and was subjected to what I would call bullying and unnecessary arrogance from a rude ass who firstly I could hardly understand myself and I'm Irish because he spoke so fast and had a thick accent. The German lad had to ask several times what he was saying and i think that was what annoyed the officer initially.When he could find nothing in his bags he flung the contents on to the desk and told the passenger rudely to pack them himself. he then went to a computer to hopefully find something on the passenger but was again disappointed so he then got smarmy with him and tried every trick in the book to annoy the passenger by treating him like a young kid.
    There were 8 people in the room watching this with me and every one expressed an opinion that its donkeys like that customs officer that give others a bad name. He instigated the whole thing by asking absolutely stupid questions and then tried to justify himself by saying that the lad had flown from NEAR Amsterdam--what a plonker !!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,525 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

What is the law in regards stop n search in customs. Surely they need some reason to stop someone? It seems to boarder on haressment that even when find nothing they keep going until they have nothing else.

That guy in the red t tonight. He had nothing on him, nothing to deem him illegal and yet the officier checked his history what if he had been stooped before? No relevance to this time.

And asking people if they ever sm9ked cannabis? Unless its on Ireland what business is it of theirs?

Not questioning the merit of asking the qu3stions per se but rather what is the actual legal position in relation to a persons rights

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

rusty999 wrote: »
    Tonight's show of Stop Search seize showed the arrogance of some people who wear a uniform and it seems to give them a sense of power over others. A young guy travelling from Eindhoven was unlucky enough to meet one of those officers and was subjected to what I would call bullying and unnecessary arrogance from a rude ass who firstly I could hardly understand myself and I'm Irish because he spoke so fast and had a thick accent. The German lad had to ask several times what he was saying and i think that was what annoyed the officer initially.When he could find nothing in his bags he flung the contents on to the desk and told the passenger rudely to pack them himself. he then went to a computer to hopefully find something on the passenger but was again disappointed so he then got smarmy with him and tried every trick in the book to annoy the passenger by treating him like a young kid.
    There were 8 people in the room watching this with me and every one expressed an opinion that its donkeys like that customs officer that give others a bad name. He instigated the whole thing by asking absolutely stupid questions and then tried to justify himself by saying that the lad had flown from NEAR Amsterdam--what a plonker !!

Do you even understand what his job entails?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

MrMac84 wrote: »

Its symptomatic of a growing number of seditionists among us, their parents protest everything, blame the government for their personal failings and most likely depend on the generosity of the tax payer for their welfare lifestyle

Does it entail being rude, being arrogant, treating an innocent person as guilty with no evidence whatsoever.

Seems as if he took a dislike to this guy based in nothing more than the guys lack of English.

While he may well wish for a united Ireland, the passenger said in lived in Ireland North, anybody with any sense would simply ask about the UK, but this guy had to get stroppy.

The whole 'I ask the questions' lark. I mean come on. Does he think he is a teacher or something.

He may well be covered by the rules, but it costs nothing to be polite and nice and not act like a jumped up boucher of a Friday night club.

Even something as simple as a thank you for your patience and I appreciate you were delayed but we need to check etc, instead of the snide, 'the exit is over there' remark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

He asked if he lived on the island of Ireland....the visitor was being unnecessarily difficult.

He asked if he lived on the island of Ireland....the visitor was being unnecessarily difficult.

He answered him though, he said Ireland North. Given that English wasn't his main language it would seem reasonable to assume that he would struggle a bit and surely he could work it out from that. Why create a situation where none was needed. He lives in the North. Who the hell ever ask is people live on the island of Ireland? It is simply a silly question.

His job is to ensure that no illegal activity is being undertaken, not to teach manners. He should be aiming to difuse a situation rather than inflame it, which he seemed to actively set out to do.

"I don't know what other authorities you've dealt with but we do things differently here" to paraphase. Yeah, we treat no english speakers as unruly schoolchildren and use our power to show them who's boss.

I can't believe that anybody thinks that the customs guy came out of that well.

Yes indeed I do understand what his job is all about. Thats a bit like some of the stupid questions the officer was asking the lad on the show. I have a relative in that very job but she would never be so ignorant as to make an issue of whether he lived "ON THE ISLAND OF IRELAND" or in the North of Ireland as the lad had answered at least twice. He is some ambassador for tourism--not !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

One of the main dutys of their job is too ask questions too gain information on people. If you have nothing too hide respond politely and clearly and things move along a lot quicker

One of the main dutys of their job is too ask questions too gain information on people. If you have nothing too hide respond politely and clearly and things move along a lot quicker

100% agree.

But people are always going to be nervous when faced with a custom officer, you start to worry about the simplest thing, look at the passenger that asked did she have to declare a sandwich.

People, myself included, are not clued up on the rules and therefore you tend to panic a bit.

A custom officer will be well used to this and be mindful that even the simplest of questions can flummox people.

Instead, he took the path of decided that the lack of a clear response, in a second language was the invitation to play billy big balls. Without any cause he then checked his bag (which he is fully entitled to) and then carry out a background search on the passport. All based on the guys less than perfect answer to his question!

Seems you seem to be blaming the passenger for not getting with the program. He was polite but clearly saw that the custom guy was being obnoxious.

Guilty until proven innocent doesn't mean that the custom guy needs to treat you as a criminal from the off

• Registered Users Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭.red.

Years ago i flew into Auckland and had to declare a tent as it had been bought in Oz and theyd check the pegs for earth and bacteria. When i got the all clear i noticed a customs dog sitting next to my trolley chewing a rag. I went to rub him as you do and i was told step away from the dog. I went to leave and i was told the dog had given a clear indication of a large quantity of drugs in my bag. I nearly needed a new pair of jocks. Myself and my gf got brought away for questioning and a search.
    They only ever opened my bag, didnt touch my gfs. They took out everything, even opening my socks out. All the time they were asking questions, did i do drugs, who packed the bag, etc. Nothing was found as there wasnt anything in it.
    They told me to pack the bag up myself but offered to help. They then took my passport and brought it back a few mins later, xrayed my bag and i was free to leave.
    I was bricking it, i knew i had nothing but you still wonder if it could have been tampered with. Afterwards in the taxi i was thinking about the questions and some of my answers. I lied on some of them out of pure panic, no other reason as the truth wouldnt have gotten me in trouble.
    The 2 officers who dealt with me were polite and courtious for the whole procedure. The only time i felt they were being dicks was when i was finished and asked if the dog got it wrong often. They pretty much said the dog was always right and almost insunuated there was something there, they just couldnt find it.

I can see why people panic and act the way they do when stopped, it must be a whole lot worse when the officer is acting like a cnut. Some people are stopped at random and treated like criminals. I was stopped and they had reason to believe i was carrying but i was still treated like a human.
    Some people in this show act like your guilty before you open your mouth. Its innocent till proven otherwise, not guilty till proven innocent like some lads on this show like to think.

• Advertisement

The customs officer made no allowance whatsoever for the fact that the guys first language was not English and secondly that his own "Flurry" of words were spoken so fast that even an Irish person would have to ask what was the question again. He needs to relax a bit in my opinion.
    Far too much arrogance in his approach and he has a bad attitude himself. It was very obvious that he deliberately tried to make the passenger look small and the officers demeanour would make anyone feel as if they were trying to hide something -which was not the case in this instance, much to the officers disappointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭nobby grande

I agree 100%, that Cogavin guy is a terrible representative for this country. I was angry at the way he treated the Dutch kid.
    He should be ashamed treating visitors in that aggressive, arrogant, patronising manner. If I managed him he would be slapped back to a position whereby he doesn't deal face to face with non nationals. I'm sure he's an OK guy and maybe the camera being on him highlighted his communications weaknesses but Jesus man, get a grip. He acted like a school ground bully with the Dutch guys belonging's and the little grin to say yes I have nothing on you but I am going to waste more of your time. Total arse.
    His line of questioning is ridiculous. His suspicion based on the fact the traveller was Dutch and used differing airports...... do your job, find what you're looking for or not, apologise if not, and wish them a safe journey. Jesus I hope people complain and he sits and analyses his performance.

Another mention goes to the girl searching the bags, stopping a traveller because he was In Spain twice in one year. I was almost ready for the "no recession in your house" line. Yes the guys travels, yes he travels more than you. That does not make him a dealer. She even said "if I was ever had two holidays a year, i'd remember them". ****s sake love, people travel, people have more interesting lives than you. This is the way it is. Suck it up.
    The auld codger then saying how relaxed the guys was and asking him if he smoked???

I don't agree with the process here at all. If you are in possession then fine, say what you want, if not get the **** out of my way and let me continue my journey without being patronised and having insinuations thrown about.
    Good programme, some of the workers need to cop on though.

In my opinion Cogavin ,if thats his name, should not be in a position where he can use his arrogant bullying disposition to treat totally innocent people like they were criminals. He is obviously not well trained. And, perhaps its the old fashioned system we have here in Ireland thats at fault . In comparison to any other country I have travelled through I would say that display of a superiority complex that Cogavin seems to suffer from, was the worst I have seen in my dealings with customs around the globe and i travel a fair bit with my work.. No one expects, or should allow themselves to be treated like a criminal when coming to another country, and a complaint should have been made by that passenger.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Another mention goes to the girl searching the bags, stopping a traveller because he was In Spain twice in one year. I was almost ready for the "no recession in your house" line.

They also seemed really suspicious of the fact he flew to Shannon when he was travelling up to Dublin....which wouldn't be that unusual, he said he got a cheap deal and saved a few bob.

Same story a few episodes ago with a guy who arrived in shannon from Malaga late one night and was leaving on to Manchester the next morning as again he saved a packet travelling last minute, they were convinced he had swallowed narcotics

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭nobby grande

I think they need to look at how people are treated in these situations. It's almost as if your rights mean nothing when faced with the all knowing mighty force of these airport officials.
    I have a fairly short fuse when dealing with keystone cop types, and if I had nothing to hide I'm afraid to think of how I would react and the implications to follow.
    If I was treated how the Dutch kid was I am certain I would laughed in his face and try and wind him up as much as possible to get a reaction from him.
    I would have certainly asked to speak to his superior. These guys in fairness, do have an important job, but the power is being abused and its laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭muirsheen

Went through airport last week terminal 2 saw Bruce. Wasn't stopping anyone. Kinda disappointed!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

Is this on again tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭muirsheen

ComfortKid wrote: »
    Is this on again tonight?

Yes sky 1 10pm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Bruce and Cogavin would both seriously benefit from some basic customer handling training... I say basic because they don't even have that right...

Seems like every time they stop someone it goes something like this...

Bruce: Howaya buddy. Where the **** do you think you're going ? Are you a drug smuggler ?

Passenger: Eh sorry, I was eh....

Bruce: I ****in knew it. You're carrying drugs aren't ya. There's me badge. I'm a wannabe law enforcement officer. Look, have you seen me badge ??

Passenger: Eh did you want to look in my bag or something ?

Bruce: How dare you speak to me !! I'm asking the questions amigo, You really need to sort your tone. This isn't how you speak to a wannabe law enforcement officer.

Passenger: Eh, I was happy to stand here and deal with you in a civil manner but you're really starting to piss me off with your aggressive tone....

And on and on it goes.

Yes Bruce you are a customs officer, yes you are "technically" a law enforcement officer so well done. Yes you have a big badge to show your authority, well done on that too. Unfortunately however, contrary to what you appear to believe, your badge and uniform do not command respect.

You have to earn that yourself through the manner in which you deal with people.

If you're wondering why so many passengers seem to have a bit of an attitude with you, maybe you and Cogavin should sit down and watch how the rest of your colleagues manage to do it.

They adopt a little respect, humility, and a civilized tone when approaching people. And funny enough, they get it back in return.

• Advertisement

Swanner wrote: »
    Bruce and Cogavin would both seriously benefit from some basic customer handling training... I say basic because they don't even have that right...

Seems like every time they stop someone it goes something like this...

Bruce: Howaya buddy. Where the **** do you think you're going ? Are you a drug smuggler ?

Passenger: Eh sorry, I was eh....

Bruce: I ****in knew it. You're carrying drugs aren't ya. There's me badge. I'm a wannabe law enforcement officer. Look, have you seen me badge ??

Passenger: Eh did you want to look in my bag or something ?

Bruce: How dare you speak to me !! I'm asking the questions amigo, You really need to sort your tone. This isn't how you speak to a wannabe law enforcement officer.

Passenger: Eh, I was happy to stand here and deal with you in a civil manner but you're really starting to piss me off with your aggressive tone....

And on and on it goes.

Yes Bruce you are a customs officer, yes you are "technically" a law enforcement officer so well done. Yes you have a big badge to show your authority, well done on that too. Unfortunately however, contrary to what you appear to believe, your badge and uniform do not command respect.

You have to earn that yourself through the manner in which you deal with people.

If you're wondering why so many passengers seem to have a bit of an attitude with you, maybe you and Cogavin should sit down and watch how the rest of your colleagues manage to do it.

They adopt a little respect, humility, and a civilized tone when approaching people. And funny enough, they get it back in return.

The above post just about says it all . They should be sent for re training and learn to get down off their superiority horses. And , maybe a few lessons on how to pronounce certain words in English so that everyone, including the Irish passengers, might understand what they are asking.
    Yes, If you give respect you will receive respect and flashing a badge 2 or 3 times to the one passenger will never gain you respect unless you learn how to act and talk without having to resort to showing your badge. Awful examples of arrogant attitudes to tourists and travellers.

Advertisement