Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stop, Search, Seize (Sky1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Sabian53

He is an embarrassment to the country,

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

God forgive me but I just watched this for the first time (a re-run of the episode that finishes with the chap who flew in from Eindhoven). Please tell me Bruce and Gary have been sacked or at the very least moved out of public facing roles.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

shar01 wrote: »
    God forgive me but I just watched this for the first time (a re-run of the episode that finishes with the chap who flew in from Eindhoven). Please tell me Bruce and Gary have been sacked or at the very least moved out of public facing roles.

Bruce is the senior officer there!

Stheno wrote: »

I feel safer already; i really do.:)

Stheno wrote: »

NO WAY! Then Human Resources need to seriously take a look at their policies. I'd start with elocution lessons.

BTW - I know I'm late to the party and am just stating the obvious but I'm just gobsmacked at their behaviour. They're supposed to be professional!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

NO WAY! Then Human Resources need to seriously take a look at their policies. I'd start with elocution lessons.

BTW - I know I'm late to the party and am just stating the obvious but I'm just gobsmacked at their behaviour. They're supposed to be professional!

Don't call me pal buddy it's very aggressive!

ligerdub wrote: »

I don't think when they filmed this "entertainment" show, they thought of the real life impact it might have.

The Australian equivalent is so much more professional than this piece of trash.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,009 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Bruce was badly missed from Series 2 :pac:

I actually thought Bruce was a cast-off from Fair City or Love/Hate. Then I realised he was actually employed by Customs.

Bruce was badly missed from Series 2 :pac:

Thanks be to jaysis!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I saw season 2 before they repeated season 1.

Bruce is an awfull gob****e, definitely power tripping with his badge, and I'd be pretty sure it was a joint production/customs decision to not let the cameras anywhere near him for season 2.

The traffic corp Guard in S2 is good, I forget his name but he's very good.

The customs guy down in Shannon is also a legend, he is everything Bruce isn't.

...and I'd be pretty sure it was a joint production/customs decision to not let the cameras anywhere near him for season 2.

And hopefully sent for re-training along with his "buddy" Gary.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

I saw season 2 before they repeated season 1.

Bruce is an awfull gob****e, definitely power tripping with his badge, and I'd be pretty sure it was a joint production/customs decision to not let the cameras anywhere near him for season 2.

Customs aren't in season 2 at all...

Customs aren't in season 2 at all...

Customs in Shannon were no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

stop%20search%20sieze%202.jpg

Someone is not pleased at all. buddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,891 ✭✭✭gifted

stop%20search%20sieze%202.jpg

Someone is not pleased at all. buddy.

Comprende?.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭rusty999

Bruce needs to realise that even his own countrymen can't understand him -not alone the visitors from other countries.
    And, as for having a chip on his shoulder--its more of a boulder at this stage.
    And as for his power trip and badge flashing, well thats a sure sign of insecurity. Actually, that would be a more suitable job for him--In Security.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,858 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I doubt if the producers had anything to do with the decision. Bruce is gold for them - just look at the amount of feedback he has generated here.

But I'd suspect he was a major factor in the decision by Revenue to keep Customs out of Season 2.

Just arrived into T2 and saw Bruce!!
    The legend continues

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

And hopefully sent for re-training along with his "buddy" Gary.
    yeah, some new techniques.

qTy0BU.gif

"it's a simple question buddy, where ya' flying in from today"

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Seriously though do you want a wimp doing their job or someone that can actually stop smuggling and other issues.

You need tough nuts to do them jobs and I think in all honesty Bruce is fine.

Anyone that has nothing to hide or done nothing wrong won't have an issue and worst you will get is a hello where you coming in from.

I don't get the negativity its a tough job and demanding at that.

Dealing with the public is tough and it shown on TV only makes it look a little more strung out.

If you all think they are horrible and rude then you would be shocked if you actually met someone that actually is.

Seriously though do you want a wimp doing their job or someone that can actually stop smuggling and other issues.

Anyone that has nothing to hide or done nothing wrong won't have an issue and worst you will get is a hello where you coming in from.

Dealing with the public is tough and it shown on TV only makes it look a little more strung out.

If you all think they are horrible and rude then you would be shocked if you actually met someone that actually is.

Bruce looks like a bit of a wimp though, and it looks like he suffers from Napoleon (little man) syndrome.

In all honesty though he looks like a nightmare to deal with, and most of the people we saw him dealing with had nothing to hide, yet Bruce drew it out into a big unnecessary drama, most likely because the cameras were there. Playing on people's poor levels of English to make himself look like the hero.
    I noticed a fair few good looking girls had their bags checked by Bruce.

There was one particular shot of him hiding behind a machine, almost lurking, ready to pounce, and it screamed of 'oh the camera is on me I better try to look important/impressive'

No-one doubts for a minute that it's not a tough job and will probably get tougher when Brexit kicks in.

But from what I saw Bruce and Gary don't make their own lives any easier by behaving in such an unprofessional manner. There were times I genuinely could not understand what they were saying. They appeared to be barely in control of the situation - and that was from watching just one episode.

As mentioned by AndrewJRenko, Bruce is TV gold - he is a very watchable character. That's fine for reality shows based in hotels / shop / whatever, not for an government official.

That's just my 2 cents....:)

I don't think that role has a govt employee status.

I don't think that role has a govt employee status.

Is Customs not part of the Revenue Commissioners? Making Bruce a "civil" servant :P

Is Customs not part of the Revenue Commissioners? Making Bruce a "civil" servant :P

I stand corrected. You are right.

"Customs and excise officers are part of the civil service and work closely with other agencies including the Garda and the Department of Foreign Affairs. In Ireland they are widely known as revenue customs officers."

• Registered Users Posts: 28,858 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

It's not a matter of being tough. He's really bad at dealing with people.

He has Chinese people in front of him with little or no English, and he starts speaking pidgin Spanish to them - 'hey amigo'. This just add confusion to a sensitive situation - petrol on the fire.

• Advertisement

If I continue watching this programme I'm going to need valium! Be gas if I got pulled over next time I'm going through the airport :D

Thank you good people of the Television forum for allowing me to vent.

Advertisement