Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gender fluid?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Semigeneric

How extremely judgemental of you. Luckily, I couldn't care less. But some would take an opportunity like that to cry 'offense', and should rightly be told to fcuk off. See how this works?

I see exactly how this works. People like you, that give themselves heirs should be challenged on a daily. As we know from other posters, people can say what they like and it's your fault if you take offence. With that I think you're a disgusting human being and I hope you have a great (dead end) life ahead of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

is saying cis so as to not be offensive to the trans community really a thing now? i'm basing this on an episode of south park, where they took the piss out of it.
    It's offensive to molecular biologists and chemists!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

People like you, that give themselves heirs should be challenged on a daily.

Aw man. What's your problem with people having kids.:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 77 ✭✭fartingforfun

I see exactly how this works. People like you, that give themselves heirs should be challenged on a daily. As we know from other posters, people can say what they like and it's your fault if you take offence. With that I think you're a disgusting human being and I hope you have a great (dead end) life ahead of you.

True to form the PC people are full of hate, anyone who disagrees with them is cursed from on high, how very un-PC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Boring username

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/fc/7c/75/fc7c758d52f48d6f356ec42657135f9a.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭ElvisChrist6

Gender is an imposed social norm. Sex is not. I completely agree that from a biological stance there are two sexes, male and female. Gender is something entirely different, so educate yourself.

You do not have me in tears, I think someone should stand up and challenge you on your opinion.

You cannot presume anything about my life so don't try to.

Why because masculinity and toughness seeps out of a building site? I thought it was rudeness, illiteracy and poor life choices.

This is why I'm confused on the whole gender fluid business if anyone can explain. I agree that "gender", or at least how one represents their sex, is created by culture. Judith Butler describes this as a "stylised repitition of acts" that through gender discourse and norms enforce gender types onto the subject. So how does being both get both imposed by a society that doesn't take that as a norm? Is it feeling both masculine and feminine? Because that seems like its reinforcing gender norms by saying men do these stylised acts that we know as masculine and women do some that are feminine. I'm assuming they don't say they can choose day-by-day, but it puzzles the bollocks out of me altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I am very confused is he not transgender then? Is he only going to dress as a female some of the time?

He may be happy with his masculine appearance. You don't have to dress act or look female to identify as one.

Lets call a spade a spade, if he was anorexic you would not be praising him on loosing weight, this man need the help of a psychiatrist, all this PC nonsense is doing this man and others harm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

But people are perfectly entitled to say whatever the hell they like regardless of whether it is insulting or not or whether it upsets people.

Within reason they are, yes, but as far as Boards is concerned, there are still a personal abuse and civility rules in place. Outside of that, this country also still has defamation laws. Not saying that anything you have said so far has been in breech of any of the above, but just to point out that people are not necessarily "perfectly entitled to say whatever the hell they like regardless of whether it is insulting or not or whether it upsets people" as you stated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

It's disgraceful that just because someone doesn't conform to the imposed social normalities set by society in an uneducated age, they are considered to be ill, or quote you, "mentally defective"
    Some would argue that you have a mentally defective mind for not being able to understand the complexities of our human being and grasp the concept or educating yourself about other people in this world.
    What you are saying is directly tied to when lgbt people were put in mental hospitals because of their sexuality, which as we all know now was wrong and disgusting.
    A suggestion from me to you would be to have more compassion and think before you post hurtful comments that can have negative impacts on anyone, especially young minds, on a social media site.

Haha jesus

• Advertisement

Gender is an imposed social norm. Sex is not. I completely agree that from a biological stance there are two sexes, male and female. Gender is something entirely different, so educate yourself.

You do not have me in tears, I think someone should stand up and challenge you on your opinion.

You cannot presume anything about my life so don't try to.

Why because masculinity and toughness seeps out of a building site? I thought it was rudeness, illiteracy and poor life choices.

So if you want people to be careful of delicate flowers yet you then call builders rude, illiterate and making poor choices. What if there was a sensitive gay builder? You might have hurt his feelings :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

Your in taking a piss, you hear farting and spluttering coming from a stall, when your washing your hands out from the stall walks the bird you fancy, well you won't be fancying her any longer.

Speak for yourself, I'm a nasty boy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Ah here. You're hardly in a position to be complaining about the ignorance of others now in fairness.

Classic case of ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

I don't understand gender fluidity at all, not in the way I'd have some understanding of transgenderism, but whatever. Fair play to him for coming out, especially given he's in the public eye.

Whatever makes him happy and whatever he feels is right for his life - do it, once it's not illegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Lord Riverside

Links234 wrote: »
    Might be slightly tempted to chant "One of us, one of us!"

What this "us" and "them" craic exactly ?

What is gender fluid, is it something he spilt all over the floor ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

A few people have mentioned that they understand/accept transgenderism (is that a word?!) but not gender fluidity.

I guess I'd see it as similar to how someone identifies as gay or straight. It's a broad spectrum, few of us are at either 0% or 100%, we're mostly somewhere in the middle (but mostly weighted further to one or other side of the scale.) And it can fluctuate, for example a bisexual person in a heterosexual relationship will probably find themselves more on one side of the scale, whereas the same bisexual person in a homosexual relationship will find themselves leaning more towards the other side at that point in their lives.

So there's probably a similar spectrum for gender identification - except in my opinion, it's much more skewed, with the very vast majority of people finding themselves at the end of the scale of the gender they're born with, with no real movement or changes throughout their lives. Then you have transgender people, who land somewhere well on the other end of the spectrum, but are very much in the minority. And in a smaller minority again are those who find themselves moving along the spectrum at different points in their lives.

It's not something I personally identify with, but I can understand how someone might feel that way. It must be quite a lonely and difficult position to be in, and fair play to this person for coming out publicly and accepting himself for who he is. It can only be a good thing for anyone who feels similar.

A few people have mentioned that they understand/accept transgenderism (is that a word?!) but not gender fluidity.

I guess I'd see it as similar to how someone identifies as gay or straight. It's a broad spectrum, few of us are at either 0% or 100%, we're mostly somewhere in the middle (but mostly weighted further to one or other side of the scale.) And it can fluctuate, for example a bisexual person in a heterosexual relationship will probably find themselves more on one side of the scale, whereas the same bisexual person in a homosexual relationship will find themselves leaning more towards the other side at that point in their lives.

So there's probably a similar spectrum for gender identification - except in my opinion, it's much more skewed, with the very vast majority of people finding themselves at the end of the scale of the gender they're born with, with no real movement or changes throughout their lives. Then you have transgender people, who land somewhere well on the other end of the spectrum, but are very much in the minority. And in a smaller minority again are those who find themselves moving along the spectrum at different points in their lives.

It's not something I personally identify with, but I can understand how someone might feel that way. It must be quite a lonely and difficult position to be in, and fair play to this person for coming out publicly and accepting himself for who he is. It can only be a good thing for anyone who feels similar.

I agree with you in that I can understand how someone feels this way. I just know feck all about it, so can't claim to understand it. It's slightly more straightforward for trans people in that they're certain they were born biologically the wrong sex. But for someone who identifies as gender fluid, it must be difficult to feel a different gender from one week to the next.

Ah here. You're hardly in a position to be complaining about the ignorance of others now in fairness.

Classic case of ...
    Hes actually only a child, so that explains the tantrum and irony

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭terryduff12

With all the transgender and fluid what gender toilet do they used, like if a man has legally changed to a woman but still has his bit does he/she go to the ladies toilet or mens?

With all the transgender and fluid what gender toilet do they used, like if a man has legally changed to a woman but still has his bit does he/she go to the ladies toilet or mens?

If they are legally a female, I'd imagine she would use a female bathroom.

• Advertisement

If they are legally a female, I'd imagine she would use a female bathroom.

And what about the "gender fluid" ?

And what about the "gender fluid" ?

The one of the gender the person legally lives as.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,510 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Never heard of it until today, read the article about the guy from RTE and took it to be that he feels like a woman some days.

Never heard of it until today, read the article about the guy from RTE and took it to be that he feels like a woman some days.

Ahh the penny drops, i bet he feels like a woman on the days he is late for work, so he can blame being late on "female problems".
    Thats the get out of jail free card women play all the time with their male boss, no man wants to know the details and the woman gets away scott free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Ahh the penny drops, i bet he feels like a woman on the days he is late for work, so he can blame being late on "female problems".
    Thats the get out of jail free card women play all the time with their male boss, no man wants to know the details and the woman gets away scott free.

I am hoping you are taking the piss here? But of a generalisation there, and a tad sexist.

Menas wrote: »
    I am hoping you are taking the piss here? But of a generalisation there, and a tad sexist.

Not PC?
    Just because its not don't mean its not true!
    Too say women don't play that card would be false.

The one of the gender the person legally lives as.

but its fluid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Not PC?
    Just because its not don't mean its not true!
    Too say women don't play that card would be false.

I am male and have had women reporting in to me for years. So no, in my experience it is not true.
    Its a lazy and sexist generalisation to say it is true.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭custard gannet

Pile of BS

He's about as much a woman as you were Irish, Tony.:pac:

It's all absolute nonsense though in truth. This world needs more people to grow a pair and start speaking like Prince Philip or SilviO Berlusconi.

• Advertisement

Menas wrote: »
    I am male and have had women reporting in to me for years. So no, in my experience it is not true.
    Its a lazy and sexist generalisation to say it is true.
    So you are one of these white knights riding to the rescue of the damsel in distress, don't see any women denying it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement