Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gender fluid?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Not at all. I think people should realise that people are committing suicide over these issues and therefore take into other people's lives into consideration.

But people are perfectly entitled to say whatever the hell they like regardless of whether it is insulting or not or whether it upsets people.

If you can't take criticism of some part of your life then people like that should probably avoid the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

I believe there's a plan in the pipeline by transgender groups to do an awareness campaign / leaflet drop in pubs and restaurants across the country. Wonder how that'll go down.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Semigeneric

But people are perfectly entitled to say whatever the hell they like regardless of whether it is insulting or not or whether it upsets people.

If you can't take criticism of some part of your life then people like that should probably avoid the internet.

You're literally a joke to humanity. Never have I read such ignorance.
    Yes being told you're mentally ill is just a criticism and if you can't take it, it's your problem!!
    Such a double standard to other 'whispered' topics that no one would dare to comment on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

Of course, people are in turn entitled to tell those people how damaging their opinions are and suggest they sort it. If they don't like that then they should probably avoid the internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭316

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    I believe there's a plan in the pipeline by transgender groups to do an awareness campaign / leaflet drop in pubs and restaurants across the country. Wonder how that'll go down.

They can fcuk right out of my local, bad enough they put in a pool table to draw in the youth, noisy bunch.

• Advertisement

You're literally a joke to humanity. Never have I read such ignorance.
    Yes being told you're mentally ill is just a criticism and if you can't take it, it's your problem!!
    Such a double standard to other 'whispered' topics that no one would dare to comment on.

You can say whatever the hell you like about somebody.It's up to you as a person not to be affected by it.

Massive double standard by you because you just insulted me there by saying I was a joke to humanity but I'm not the least bit affected by it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Teflon Ron

You can say whatever the hell you like about somebody.It's up to you as a person not to be affected by it.

Massive double standard by you because you just insulted me there by saying I was a joke on humanity but I'm not the least bit affected by it.

Just because you think you can say things about people, doesn't mean you should, putting the onus on them to ignore the feelings that come from it? And if they are affected, tough sh!t?

Bit warped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Whatever happened to live and let live? Chill out, it's a nice day, have a pint (or beverage of your choosing) and relax.

Here, enjoy some metal ;)

eebow wrote: »
    Just because you think you can say things about people, doesn't mean you should, putting the onus on them to ignore the feelings that come from it? And if they are affected, tough sh!t?

Bit warped.

It may not be nice but then there is no requirement for people to be nice and if someone has opinions like that about you then you probably shouldn't be concerned with what they think about you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Fair play to Jonathan Rachel. As a cis man I don't fully understand non binary myself and it must be incredibly to come out in the public eye as non binary.

is saying cis so as to not be offensive to the trans community really a thing now? i'm basing this on an episode of south park, where they took the piss out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Links234 wrote: »
    Here, enjoy some metal ;)

That was horrendous. Napalm Death have a lot to answer for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

Pile of BS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Teflon Ron

It may not be nice but then there is no requirement for people to be nice and if someone has opinions like that about you then you probably shouldn't be concerned with what they think about you.

I agree with the last part.

But 'no requirement to be nice'? I think there's no requirement to hold an opinion that doesn't offend people alright.

But just not being nice because there's no requirement (even though I think there it's just common, basic decency)? That's different and if someone lived their lives like that (not saying you do or anything) I'd consider them a monumental tosser.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,991 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Firstly it depends what people say really;

If it goes far enough then no there is no "entitlement" and they could be prosecuted under the incitement to hatred act. I don't believe anything said here goes that far and could be prosecuted at all. But we don't have blanket free speech. Hate speech is limited by law under the Incitement to Hatred Act and the European Convention on Human Rights.

Secondly

The idea that you are holding up free speech and yet baulk at the idea of counter speech is completely laughable.

You firstly accuse people of censorship then basically you try to censor people yourself by saying anyone who is ever upset or insulted should stay quiet and leave the internet.

Free speech does not mean a person cannot be challenged or ridiculed. You seem to think it does!!! There's a huge irony there!

It's actually quite hilarious really. On the one hand you are accusing criticism of being censorship. On the other you are calling for it to be censored.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Boring username

It's disgraceful that just because someone doesn't conform to the imposed social normalities set by society in an uneducated age, they are considered to be ill, or quote you, "mentally defective".
    Gender isn't an imposed social normality. You are either man, or woman. Not both simultaneously.
    Some would argue that you have a mentally defective mind for not being able to understand the complexities of our human being and grasp the concept or educating yourself about other people in this world.

Meh. Opinions are like arseholes-everyone's got one. People can have any opinion of me, I couldn't care less. I'm not going to throw my toys out of the pram though.
    What you are saying is directly tied to when lgbt people were put in mental hospitals because of their sexuality, which as we all know now was wrong and disgusting.
    We'll I'm not suggesting anybody be put in a mental hospital, but therapy would be a good start. Although I would agree the previous history of some minorities was unfortunate.
    A suggestion from me to you would be to have more compassion and think before you post hurtful comments that can have negative impacts on anyone, especially young minds, on a social media site

Motion considered, and rejected. You must have grown up in an extremely overprotected and insulated environment if a randomer's opinion on the internet has you almost in tears. But that's the tumblr generation for you.

Work on a building site for a few months, that should toughen you up.

eebow wrote: »
    I agree with the last part.

But 'no requirement to be nice'? I think there's no requirement to hold an opinion that doesn't offend people alright.

But just not being nice because there's no requirement (even though I think there it's just common, basic decency)? That's different and if someone lived their lives like that (not saying you do or anything) I'd consider them a monumental tosser.

People can say what they like regardless of how offensive it .It's up to you to ignore it.

That's fine. If people are not nice then they should expect to be treated shamefully.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 77 ✭✭fartingforfun

So which toilet will he take a piss in?

People can say what they like regardless of how offensive it .It's up to you to ignore it.

And people can respond how they like. Its up to you ignore it.

Terry Pratchet

Firstly it depends what people say really;

If it goes far enough then no there is no "entitlement" and they could be prosecuted under the incitement to hatred act. I don't believe anything said here goes that far and could be prosecuted at all. But we don't have blanket free speech. Hate speech is limited by law under the Incitement to Hatred Act and the European Convention on Human Rights.

Secondly

The idea that you are holding up free speech and yet baulk at the idea of counter speech is completely laughable.

You firstly accuse people of censorship then basically you try to censor people yourself by saying anyone who is ever upset or insulted should stay quiet and leave the internet.

Free speech does not mean a person cannot be challenged or ridiculed. You seem to think it does!!! There's a huge irony there!

It's actually quite hilarious really. On the one hand you are accusing criticism of being censorship. On the other you are calling for it to be censored.

I don't have a problem with anyone criticizing what he say they can say what they like but the suggestion that people should watch what they say because it might hurt some strangers feelings on the internet is daft.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Semigeneric

Gender isn't an imposed social normality. You are either man, or woman. Not both simultaneously.

Motion considered, and rejected. You must have grown up in an extremely overprotected and insulated environment if a randomer's opinion on the internet has you almost in tears. But that's the tumblr generation for you.

Work on a building site for a few months, that should toughen you up.

Gender is an imposed social norm. Sex is not. I completely agree that from a biological stance there are two sexes, male and female. Gender is something entirely different, so educate yourself.

You do not have me in tears, I think someone should stand up and challenge you on your opinion.

You cannot presume anything about my life so don't try to.

Why because masculinity and toughness seeps out of a building site? I thought it was rudeness, illiteracy and poor life choices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭316

So which toilet will he take a piss in?

Same one he takes a dump in.

I don't have a problem with anyone criticizing what he say they can say what they like but the suggestion that people should watch what they say because it might hurt some strangers feelings on the internet is daft.

It's not daft at all. Young kids have committed suicide because they've been cyberbullied. The idea to me that we should allow minor forms of hate speech go unchallenged to me is the real daft idea.

1 there are direct consequences of suicide
    2 If minor hate speech becomes acceptable then we eventually end up with it growing into different more extreme forms.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Boring username

Gender is an imposed social norm. Sex is not. I completely agree that from a biological stance there are two sexes, male and female. Gender is something entirely different, so educate yourself.

You do not have me in tears, I think someone should stand up and challenge you on your opinion.

You cannot presume anything about my life so don't try to.

Why because masculinity and toughness seeps out of a building site? I thought it was rudeness, illiteracy and poor life choices.

How extremely judgemental of you. Luckily, I couldn't care less. But some would take an opportunity like that to cry 'offense', and should rightly be told to fcuk off. See how this works?

316 wrote: »
    Same one he takes a dump in.

Who the hell wants mixed toilets?
    Your in taking a piss, you hear farting and spluttering coming from a stall, when your washing your hands out from the stall walks the bird you fancy, well you won't be fancying her any longer.

Separate toilets all the way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

minor hate speech, jesus christ. what a time to be alive.

strelok wrote: »
    minor hate speech, jesus christ. what a time to be alive.

So if people don't agree with you it is now hate speech?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

So if people don't agree with you it is now hate speech?

maybe if they mention something negative about your haircut?

strelok wrote: »
    maybe if they mention something negative about your haircut?

The problem with the world is people are too thin skinned.
    just get on with your life, don't impose your world view on others and all will be good.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

And I'm perfectly entitled to shít in my pants. That doesn't make it a good idea.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement