Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AROUND THE HORN! 2015 - Discuss Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

No word back from the crabman, Ive messaged him but no reply yet. Since Im in this match I cant make a call as to what happens now. BH, would you like to weigh in?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

beakerjoe wrote: »
    No word back from the crabman, Ive messaged him but no reply yet. Since Im in this match I cant make a call as to what happens now. BH, would you like to weigh in?

Watch your back... I might just run in and interfere!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I guess we could (not sure how long ago you msg'd him) give him another day or so but if there is no sign of him after that considering how long the match up has been delayed already we could either

a) stick up the poll already:
    you may have an extra counter up but you'd deserve the advantage for being around and should he then return he could still have a chance to make a rebuttle

or (not a big fan of just giving a bye but I guess it could be a third option if nobody liked either of these)

b) The person who TBC knocked out could get a 2nd shot and replace him here, they wouldn't have to stick with his original answer but would have to commit to being able to answer without delay.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

5361%20-%20jack_tunney%20suit%20wwf.png
    I agree with whatever this guy says.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I would say just lash the poll up. Both lads have made an opening post. Polls hav gone up previously before all rebuttals were made so there's a precedent for it. If Joe gets an extra rebuttal then that's fair enough as he's been around. I wouldn't think it's fair to make him go again personally and at the same time it wouldn't be fair on tbc to give a bye. Both boys have made their scenarios known so we can just judge on that?

Just my 2cents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Seems like the fairest option.

Omackeral wrote: »
    I would say just lash the poll up. Both lads have made an opening post. Polls hav gone up previously before all rebuttals were made so there's a precedent for it. If Joe gets an extra rebuttal then that's fair enough as he's been around. I wouldn't think it's fair to make him go again personally and at the same time it wouldn't be fair on tbc to give a bye. Both boys have made their scenarios known so we can just judge on that?

Just my 2cents.

Yeah thats the way im planning on going, will give TBC the 24hrs from my last post on the topic before I put up the poll though.

Great to see Crabman back, and Ive posted my final rebuttal.

voting is over in 3 days, so get voting peeps.

the winner faces Omackeral in the final.

Bounty Hunter
    Mr Nice Guy
    Mr Nice Guy
    Omackeral
    Omackeral
    Imnotthehulk
    Omackeral
    beakerjoe
    gerrybbadd
    beakerjoe
    beakerjoe
    thebostoncrab
    Cheese Wagstaff
    thebostoncrab

commiserations Crabman but we have our final. Guess I'll be doing the question with Joe involved. Will think about it after the Ireland game and put the question up a little later

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,558 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I like that question. It gives both lads a lot of freedom to explore their ideas. Looking forward to seeing what they come up with.

I'll start mine tonight. A very good question and should be entertaining for the voters too.

I'll start mine tonight. A very good question and should be entertaining for the voters too.

I had mine written out but Ive scrapped it to begin another one. Should be done later today

tbh thats kinda the way I was thinking: what would I like to read as a voter? hopefully it can attract plenty of voters with some top answers which no doubt you two will provide especially when so much effort is going into answers that one has already written a second answer having not been happy enough with their first effort

What do you think is more advantageous, going first or second?

imo It can depend on the question.

1) going first is advantageous if you think your oponnent may have a similar answer or even the same answer in mind as yourself and by going first you will either make them have to go with their plan B or make theirs look like less impressive as a result of you getting there first.

2) Going second is advantageous as you get the last word in your debate.

My match up with MNG would be a good example - I wanted to go the Rocky Mavia turning into the Rock heel turn route and thought he may be thinking the same way (think he even said it was 1 of the first things to spring to mind) so I posted mine straight away. That said MNG is a special case and looking back I regret not having the last word against him as he really does well with said last word and I'd still say Rocky is the better answer (though I'm obviously biased) for that one but he won out in the debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,558 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I reckon there are advantages to both and so I feel it evens itself out.

If you go first, you get to make that first impression on people's minds; and if it's a positive first impression then that can count for a lot.

But if you go second, as BH touched on, you get to have the last word which can be significant, especially in a close-run contest.

Stuck in work all day today and tomorrow, will have this up tomorrow night. Apologies for delay

Stuck in work all day today and tomorrow, will have this up tomorrow night. Apologies for delay

Imjust having a mental block, not in terms of what I want to do but to make it a bigger deal and of making sense with the surrounding players involved.

Im also having trouble making it all plausible in the term.

Its a tougher question once you start writing and trying to tie uploose ends.

Answer up, my god I re-wrote that about five times with different ideas.

Toughest question by far...... Also its gotten me in the mood for the PW Draft

• Advertisement

Also the last question in the semi final about recycling gimmicks, I had the following ideas.......

Spud Spud Dudley - With Spud more or less becoming the new Spike Dudley under dog of WWE and teaming with D-Von and Buh Buh Ray against the New Day.

Balor Liger – With Finn Balor becoming the second coming of Jushin Thunder Liger.

Ravishing Tommy Rude – With Tomasso Ciampo being a good looking guy and already doing teh Rick Rude gimmick of appearing on 2 shows at once for two different companies, Id have Tomasso would be given the Ravishing guy gimmick.

Papa Shango – Apollo Crews is reborn as Papa Shango, the voodoo practitioner in where it will be explained that Shango has some how altered his look with black magic and grown stronger.

The HeartBreak Kid Enzo Amore- Have Enzo redo Shawn Michaels old gimmick with Cass as his Big Daddy Cool

Double S - Starr Slater - Have Heath Slater don the Double J County Music singer gimmick .... S-T-A- Double R!

The Goon - Chris Jerichos love of Hockey makes him take a stab at the sport but is kicked out of the NHL like Bill Irwin for being too rough and unsporting.

Team extreme - Have an Unmasked Kalisto and Sin Cara use new names and are repackaged as a Hardy Boys esque team. operhaps have Becky Lynch be their Lita

Those two answers made for great reading, fair play lads.

Those two answers made for great reading, fair play lads.

Rebuttal up..... Im enjoying this one!

I've a pretty packed schedule this weekend but will try my best to get something done. I skimmed over Joe's rebuttal just now and have counters in my head. I also have to pick apart his angle too. Looking forward to it.

Joe I'll have my reply up this time tomorrow night. Again I apologise for the delay, just flat out all weekend.

Ah I'd a busy weekend myself, my little girls 1st birthday, so there's no rush at all.

Final rebuttal up, it was an effort countering so much and hopefully not in vein. Good luck O'Mack, twas a pleasure.

Now with one rebuttal left to go, Id like to Thank everyone for making this one hell of a successful Around The Horn competition. Some great debates, some fanastic answers, some amazing views and superb matches.

Hates off to everyone for taking part, especially those new to the game.

Hope to see you all next year for the PW Boards Draft run (probably) by Lord TSC

With Omackerals final post up, Ill ask Bounty Hunter to throw up a poll and we get voting.

As always its been a pleasure battling it out with yourself and Im chuffed to be able to do that in the final (no idea how I got there TBH). You certainly didnt hold back and you gave me one hell of an arguement, Id hate to debate with you over a few drinks (though Survivor Series is approaching in the Wooler).

May the best man win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

beakerjoe wrote: »
    With Omackerals final post up, Ill ask Bounty Hunter to throw up a poll and we get voting.

As always its been a pleasure battling it out with yourself and Im chuffed to be able to do that in the final (no idea how I got there TBH). You certainly didnt hold back and you gave me one hell of an arguement, Id hate to debate with you over a few drinks (though Survivor Series is approaching in the Wooler).

May the best man win.
    Thing is though that we mostly all agree with each other on the posts :P I've rarely seen a post where I've gone "Ah now, hang on a second" and I don't think I have in the ATH competitions.

But yeah, I'm finding it difficult to pick a winner. Will have to read over the posts again and put my debating judge-cap on to pick a winner!

Advertisement