Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AROUND THE HORN! 2015 - Discuss Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

About the question, just so Im sure, it can be any gimmick previously used in WWE, whether successful or dire?

And does the gimmick have to be a complete change from the choosen wrestler current gimmick?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

beakerjoe wrote: »
    About the question, just so Im sure, it can be any gimmick previously used in WWE, whether successful or dire?

yup

who knows given to a different person and now in a different era some dire gimmick's could have succeeded. So yes you can make John Cena 2015s Shockmaster!

and re-the second part that you must have quickly edited in. It can be as much of a change as you want I guess but I dunno if it would be in the spirit of the thing to barey change someone and I dunno if i'd vote for you over the other person if thats what you did but then again I guess it'd depend on how fitting your choice was, how you did it and what tweaks you made to their character.

Ok so theres plenty of scope,

Now do I take a succesful gimmick and place it on someone who needs a change

or

Do I take a crap gimmick and make it work with a star?

Ive much to ponder

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

Same, gonna take my time here if I'm honest, have a few different ideas and want to pick the best one possible

Same, gonna take my time here if I'm honest, have a few different ideas and want to pick the best one possible

My problem with the question is that i cant find a gimmick tochoose nor a wrestler that suits.

Any wrestler I think of, Im having trouble thinking of a suitable gimmick and any gimmick I come up with, Im having problems fitting it to a wrestler.

Its a noodle scratcher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

My god my opponent talks like a robot!! I'll get my final shout up tomorrow, looking forward to it.

Omackeral wrote: »
    My god my opponent talks like a robot!! I'll get my final shout up tomorrow, looking forward to it.

ha he's a tough one eh!

two really interesting answers in that Semi, looking forward to the no doubt very diverse answers we will get in the second one too.

ha he's a tough one eh!

two really interesting answers in that Semi, looking forward to the no doubt very diverse answers we will get in the second one too.

I think Ive settled on a gimmick and the wrestler who will take over it for the modern day audience.

Ive had plenty of bonkers ideas that I fear I may regret choosing.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,558 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Ha, I'm knackered after it. And now I have to go and add up the points for the Fantasy League game. I should get a good night's sleep at least.

beakerjoe wrote: »
    I think Ive settled on a gimmick and the wrestler who will take over it for the modern day audience.

Ive had plenty of bonkers ideas that I fear I may regret choosing.

hope you share them here after youve both picked think this question could have had some mad alternative ideas although till youve chosen I can only mention ones you'd never pick... Hustle, Loyalty and Crush America, it's Soviet Cena!

• Advertisement

Ha, I'm knackered after it. And now I have to go and add up the points for the Fantasy League game. I should get a good night's sleep at least.

My last reply is up champ.

Just posted up my last rebuttal.

Jaysus just reading those last 2 responses was exhausting I can't imagine writing them. tis a tough one I think I had been won over but then MNG had the last word again and I've learned from my bout with him just how dangerous that can be.

if it had been me and not him though...

Think although she has been a little out of the spotlight in recent years I'd have gone with Laila Ali for this one myself. tie her appearance into promoting the Muhammad Ali center (Charity mostly linked with Parkinsons iirc), big up her dads own history with WWE and wrestling in general (fought Antoni Inoki for example) and that she retired undefeated from a combat sport (boxing obviously) so should be able to handle herself in ring etc. Could work either in the Divas section or just fill the spot that Rousey probably would have had The Rock/Ali vs HHH/Steph

Debating against someone like MNG makes me wish I could put up more than two replies. He really hones in on your arguments and I have to say he's been a great opponent.

Debating against someone like MNG makes me wish I could put up more than two replies. He really hones in on your arguments and I have to say he's been a great opponent.

Thanks, that's very decent of you. You have been a great opponent yourself.

Is there a poll going up for the completed semi final?

Would assume Beaker will next time he's on. I could do it but no rush I guess seeing as the other Semi hasn't seen either competitor post responses yet (tis the weekend slowdown) anyway and now people have longer to read your arguements before the thread is bumped with the addition of the poll.

Ah cool, was just wondering cos polls have gone up during some matches. Thought it may have slipped the mind maybe.

Busy weekend so wasnt able to check in on my match or add teh poll. In hindsight its probably best to throw the poll up now after the weekend anyway with more eyes on the site after a busy weekend.

Answer up, your move crabbie

• Advertisement

Its very tight in the first semi final match between Omackeral and Mr Nice Guy, 12 votes so far and 2 days left in which people can vote.... get voting folks.

Again 2 fantastic yet differently approached answers and both men have been on top form poking holes in each others ideas. Great stuff guys

22 votes now registered in teh first semi final. A huge swing in the voting has taken place in that match as well, so its all still up in the air with 1 day left.

Any word from tbc on your match?

Any word from tbc on your match?

Yes, he posted a PM to say hes at a wedding and working on his answer.

26 votes now in for Semi #1, and its 1 off matching the record for the highest total votes in one match. So far was 27 is the record during the MNG V Stereomaniac match in the first round.

Id say it will break that record by the polls finale. Get voting if you have not done so yet as a few votes here and there can alter this one dramaticly.

Congratulations to Omackeral who has beaten Mr Nice Guy in one helluva match. Both guys had great answers, fantastic counter points and great defenses for their arguements and its unfortunate that we had to have a loser as both men battle valliantly. Great match guys.

We had a record 29 votes in this match and it finished with only 5 votes between them at 17-12. MNG was in an early lead of 7 votes to 2 at one stage early in the poll.

It's my third time doing this tournament and I have to say that was my favourite match ever. A fantastic opponent, thank you MNG.

I have to say the quality and effort in this years comp is fantastic. My own two matches this year gave me a great sense of accompishment when battling it out and I wouldnt have felt too disappointed had a lost to either of them.

MNG is bringing the best out of his opponents and he was fairly unlucky not to win with his answer being excellent and well debated. Omackeral, you've a target on your back now against whom ever it is you face in the final. And if its me,Im out for revenge for 2 years ago (Ive already got Vengence against Gerry who bested me last year)

Hopefully TBC isnt too long in replying, especially as I fear the longer he is, the better his answer will be

Well I gave it my best so I have no regrets. Congratulations to Omackeral on his victory and I know he'll do a superb job in the final. I've been very impressed with the quality of his writing throughout. (On that note I hope he considers giving the Draft a go in a few months as I think he would be excellent in that contest)

Also want to say thank you to beakerjoe and Bounty Hunter for the questions they have set throughout which I think have been great, and for overseeing the contest in general. I find myself wishing I had participated in previous versions and I'll keep an eye out for future instalments. It's been great fun.

• Advertisement

My first rebuttal is up, good luck TBC

Advertisement