Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AROUND THE HORN! 2015 - Discuss Thread

Options
  • 04-09-2015 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭

Its been over a year since our last Around The Horn and I thought id open this thread to see if there would be interest in it this year.

For those of you guys who know what ATH (Around The Horn) is, then great. For those of yous who dont....heres a short summary.

Simplified version of the rules:

I will post a topic and you have to post your response including why you made that choice within a given time limit (before the next match is scheduled to begin), take care while making your responses however as the other contestant can counter your arguement i.e pointing out possible flaws in what youve said.

*you can only counter an arguement two times so make sure your point is worth making. If someone's defense of their arguement isnt good it will count against them.

*You can use the same answer as your opponent if you wish i.e you agree with their choice however its hard to win a debate when your making the same points someone has already made

Any questions, just ask me

Thats generally how it's been done before, with two posters pitted against each other answering opened ended (i.e ones that could have a number of correct answers) such as:

Example 1: Who is the most under-utilized / underused person on the WWE Roster and what would you suggest should be done with them? Why is your choice better than your oponents?

Example 2: "Pitch to Vince" - Vince McMahon wants to debut a new stable on WWE TV in the next few months. Using only current WWE employees who would you suggest for this new stable and how would you pitch the group to Vince?

The latter part of that (example 1) however should only be referred to after your first answer as otherwise the person who answers first would be at a distinct disadvantage being unable to refer to their opponents argument in their opening post.

If you want to get further examples, heres some links :
    ATH 2014 - DISCUSSION THREAD

Omackeral v Bostoncrab

DQ V Castor Troy

It will follow a King of The Ring style format as before and as highlighted below:

1 Boardsie no.1
    Boardsie no.2
    QF1:W1 vs W2
    2 Boardsie no.3
    Boardsie no.4
    SF1:WQF1 vs WQF2
    3 Boardsie no.5
    Boardsie no.6
    GF1:W3 vs w4
    4 Boardsie no.7
    Boardsie no.8
    Final:
    5 Boardsie no.9
    Boardsie no.10
    QF3:W5 vs W6
    6 Boardsie no.11
    Boardsie no.12
    SF2:WQF3 vs WQF4
    7 Boardsie no.13
    Boardsie no.14
    QF4:W7 vs W8
    8 Boardsie no.15
    Boardsie no.16

What is Around The Horn you say? well here is the explanation i usually included when i used to run the standerd version of this game on here.

Around The Horn(ATH) is an american show on ESPN where a number of panelists/experts make arguments an a certain topic. The host awards points for each response depending on how well argued their point is, not neccesarily if he agrees with their point (although that helps) but how well they back up their argument. Obviously the winner is the person with the highest number of points at the end of the show. This format should work quite well here if anyone is interested, afterall there are a number of people here who like to think of themselves as experts on all things wrestling related, here is a chance to prove it.
    Previous champs are:

Vince135792003, Rosie1977, Fozzyx2, Charlie Mchugh & Bubs101 and Omackeral as well as one was shared between cactus col and Machismo fan.

so who want's in? We need 16 so, the first 15 posters to say they are in here get a spot, then we will be looking for a few for a backup list ideally (as some drop out for various reasons often in games like this).

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Ha good man Beaker

was actually just thinking about this as I assumed it was over a year since the last one and I was trying to remember who I handed the reigns over to for that incarnation of it.

I'm in anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭Imnotthehulk

I'd like to put my name in the hat for this if that's cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,878 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

That link for "DQ V Castor Troy" is actually going to DQ V Hashtag_Heel, which I assume is the correct destination, unless you wanted to show an example of how not to do it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

I'd like to put my name in the hat for this if that's cool.

Of course it is. Welcome aboard

CastorTroy wrote: »
    That link for "DQ V Castor Troy" is actually going to DQ V Hashtag_Heel, which I assume is the correct destination, unless you wanted to show an example of how not to do it. :)

Ah dont sell yourself short young man.

Thats Myself, Imnotthehulk and BH in so far.... when we have 16 ill do up the brackets.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

I'm in if you'll have me.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Cheese Wagstaff

Mise freisin.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

IN! :D

Ok, count me in. I'll get the Mountie over somehow!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

Definitely in, the year I did it I had exams that clashed at the final(s) so I half arsed it.

Put me down sure!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,725 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Never done it before, but I'd love to be a part

• Registered Users Posts: 45,552 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I don't think I've done this before but I'll give it a go. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I'm there :) im up for a good arguement about Pro Wrestling

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

Since I reached the final last year and am a past winner (cough cough first post needs to be updated :p) I am of course in!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Get me in there Joe. I love this tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

As I won last year's by count out, I feel I should go in and retain my crown... :p:p

Count me in too!

2 more spots..... and ill do up the brackets

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Oh just in time! Put me in please!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

Could always fill up that last spot with my non Union Mexican equivalent " Hashtag_Rudo" :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

I'll take the last spot. I've never done this before, but have an interest in "shooting" a little.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Cool can't wait to have a crack at this was sickened to miss out last time

I think I understand the rules. So let's see what happens. I look forward to reading all opinions.

The Brackets are ...... as follows

M1 Bounty Hunter v Surewhywouldntya
    M2 MrNiceGuy v Stereomaniac
    M3 MrkisCool v Omackeral
    M4 CastorTroy v ImnotHulk

M5 Lord TSC V GerryBBadd
    M6 Beaker Joe v Hashtag Heel
    M7 BrianRegan v CheeseWagstaff
    M8 TheBoston Crab v WinnieThePoo

THE WINNER OF MATCH 1 WILL FACE THE WINNER OF MATCH 2 AND SO ON SO FOURTH!

First 2 matches will be put up within the hour and we shall hopefully have 2 matches at a time going on.

Good luck and if theres any questions you have for new players, dont hesitate to ask.

Also If any one has a question to add, PM me brother.

Best of luck everyone! And enjoy.

First couple questions should be interesting to see the responses for

First 2 matches up, good luck to all involved.

Remember each poster gets to answer teh question once and reply to their oponent twice. sO 3 POST IN TOTAL

A poll will be added when each competitor has had 2 posts

Another match will begin when a poll is added to a another match.

So do I just post my thoughts in the thread now?

So do I just post my thoughts in the thread now?

You just answer the question, and if your opponent answers it first need to have a different arguement than your opponent. Then when both have answered you can challenge his answer and he can challenge yours.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

before I answer the question just check:

Q1: Fantasy booking time! It is January 1st, 2012, and The Ultimate Warrior is in peak physical condition. Vince has signed him up for one last match at Wrestlemania 29 and it’s up to you to book the whole angle including his opponent at Wrestlemania 29. You can book him against anyone on the WWE Roster at that time. Who would you have him face and how would it go down?

WM 28 was April 2012, WM 29 was 2013

so which years roster should I work off?

before I answer the question just check:

Q1: Fantasy booking time! It is January 1st, 2012, and The Ultimate Warrior is in peak physical condition. Vince has signed him up for one last match at Wrestlemania 29 and it’s up to you to book the whole angle including his opponent at Wrestlemania 29. You can book him against anyone on the WWE Roster at that time. Who would you have him face and how would it go down?

WM 28 was April 2012, WM 29 was 2013

so which years roster should I work off?

Ah you are correct, error on my part. Work off the WM28 roster from 2012.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

2 great questions asked so far for the first 2 rounds!

Advertisement