Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

naughto wrote: »
    It reads like a child wrote it with him saying grown men where crying at the news.
    But sure he's a buddy of his he wants to keep it all in house infear of anything nasty surprises.
    He should be ran to be honest

Sweet divine, embarrassing to say the least. Head in the sand lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Did the players ever outline their grieviences to anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

How many times did he mention 'executive meeting' in that statement?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

Did the players ever outline their grieviences to anyone?
    Keith Higgins read out the issues contained in a letter handed in the night most the squad went in. Its in Mike Connellys statement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

Not sure anyone knows what all the grievances were. I've heard second hand what a few of them are. Squad players not receiving tickets for games and having to go look for them. Medical staff not retained. Those were two.

Some of these grievances sound petty, others were a bit more serious, but overall, I don't think any of them were insurmountable.

I just hope whoever the next manager is, they have a strong character and are not willing to take any BS from the county board or the players for that matter. Certain players are not good enough for the bigger games and need to be shown the door. There can be no close "friendships" between the players and management. The new man has to be fairly ruthless as all great managers are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Keith Higgins read out the issues contained in a letter handed in the night most the squad went in. Its in Mike Connellys statement.
    Thanks for that. If Connelly is to be believed, then IMO the players acted like spoilt brats if the walked out of a meeting, without at least explaining their standpoint.

"Keith and Cillian arrived with most of the squad. Keith read out a letter. I told them I wasn’t aware there was such big problems, and asked them why they took this route – could they not have met with the management and sorted it out? They didn’t engage in the discussion and left the office."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭PressRun

It's pointless to debate the ins and outs of it at this stage. It's over, they're gone. It's time to move on and just get someone new in asap.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Thanks for that. If Connelly is to be believed, then IMO the players acted like spoilt brats if the walked out of a meeting, without at least explaining their standpoint.

"Keith and Cillian arrived with most of the squad. Keith read out a letter. I told them I wasn’t aware there was such big problems, and asked them why they took this route – could they not have met with the management and sorted it out? They didn’t engage in the discussion and left the office."

He isn't and he was fully aware, the CB were aware. The issues were aired to them last Feb and thats when all this started. Connelly's brother has had to walk away from the role, he is hurting I'm sure and used this pedestal to turn the knife.
    The line about men crying just highlights the farce of that. If thats all these lads have to worry about and they are crying over it, then they need to get out more.

As said, their gone and Connelly and the rest of the other dinosaurs should p*ss off with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

seligehgit wrote: »

Great pull out in the CT this week also.
    Looking forward to that game, I have a feeling that Breaffy will sneak it by 3.

• Advertisement

Yeah I've a suspicion that Breaffy might pull it off but I think the Mitchels would be far more likely to progress in the club championship.

Yeah I've a suspicion that Breaffy might pull it off but I think the Mitchels would be far more likely to progress in the club championship.

As a more experienced team probably ya. But I think AOS could be the winning of a game on his own in most of the club games. And Conor is feeding in well with scores. I'm not familiar with their FB line to be honest, so that could be an issue.
    I expect great clipping during it anyway!:)
    And a few pints after I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭Green Peter

This crop of players will never win, their actions show they have no backbone! You won't win all Ireland's being spineless!

This crop of players will never win, their actions show they have no backbone! You won't win all Ireland's being spineless!

How do their actions show they have no backbone? I never understand this criticism. Surely anyone who puts their reputation on the line in order to do what they believe is right, to go against the county board and a section of the media who want to villify them shows plenty of backbone. They're sticking to their guns, regardless of whatever is written about them by the likes of you.

I think people who throw out phrases like "they've no backbone" or "they're cowards" are simply just repeating brain dead phrases they heard somewhere without actually thinking about whether such character criticisms are even applicable.

PressRun wrote: »
    How do their actions show they have no backbone? I never understand this criticism. Surely anyone who puts their reputation on the line in order to do what they believe is right, to go against the county board and a section of the media who want to villify them shows plenty of backbone. They're sticking to their guns, regardless of whatever is written about them by the likes of you.

I think people who throw out phrases like "they've no backbone" or "they're cowards" are simply just repeating brain dead phrases they heard somewhere without actually thinking about whether such character criticisms are even applicable.

I wouldn't even engage to be honest. The post was head up bum stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Interesting tweet from Tony Leen saying that Stephen Rochford has potentially lined up Donie Buckley, Tony McEntee, Gavin Duffy and Barry Solan as his backroom team if he gets the Mayo job. Not a bad line up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,139 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Interesting tweet from Tony Leen saying that Stephen Rochford has potentially lined up Donie Buckley, Tony McEntee, Gavin Duffy and Barry Solan as his backroom team if he gets the Mayo job. Not a bad line up there.

Is he interested in the job though ?
    I thought if he was we would hear a lot more about it over the last few weeks
    And I thought Solan was busy with Arsenal anyway

I'd say Solan would co-ordinate the training program from distance rather than be there at mid week training sessions. Someone else, maybe Duffy, would be in Mayo full time. I'd say Rochford is interested alright, it's just a question of whether the CB will try to impose who they want again, which might not be him, who do the players want and also the Corofin situation between now and potentially March?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

I'd say Solan would co-ordinate the training program from distance rather than be there at mid week training sessions. Someone else, maybe Duffy, would be in Mayo full time. I'd say Rochford is interested alright, it's just a question of whether the CB will try to impose who they want again, which might not be him, who do the players want and also the Corofin situation between now and potentially March?

Not sure what that means? The clubs vote for the Co Board, it's not as if they are some unelected directorate. Anyway by throwing the whole process ope to the clubs im sure they will want to avoid any repeat of last year's shennanigans.

Not sure what that means? The clubs vote for the Co Board, it's not as if they are some unelected directorate. Anyway by throwing the whole process ope to the clubs im sure they will want to avoid any repeat of last year's shennanigans.

Some here think that the CB are akin to some African despotic dictatorship only looking to line their own pockets at the expense of us the normal fan.

There was even an accusation here that they take more expenses than other CBs.

But in reality they are just as big of fans as the rest of us and are doing the best they can for Mayo GAA.

The Horan appointment was brilliant, I also believe that H&C as the best option last year even though the process was a mess.

And I don't think they will "try to impose who they want" as the other poster said.
    If they wanted to do that they would have rejected H&C resignations.

I'd be more worried about the players vetoing good options and trying to impose what they want.

• Advertisement

I agree Father Tod,at times the rush to vilify the County Board is a tad OTT.They are ordinary Mayo fans like the rest of us trying and sometimes fumbling in their efforts to put in place everything for the betterment of Mayo football.They most certainly aren't all out to line their pockets,there is a certain prestige to their positions and with some the lure of a bit of power is an undoubted attraction.

At times I do think we are slow to make change at the top,same old tired faces.I do think that the County Board could do with a more youthful executive and less of the perception that's it's a job for the boys.I suppose it's up to the clubs via their county board delegates to ensure change happens.

Is he interested in the job though ?
    I thought if he was we would hear a lot more about it over the last few weeks
    And I thought Solan was busy with Arsenal anyway

Rochford is the only name I've heard time and again in relation the the job over the last few weeks, bar a few mentions of a Horan return. He's the favourite, and of course he's interested. He said himself that managing Mayo is a dream of his and he'd love to do it. He'd take the job in a heartbeat, imo.

Not sure what that means?

You saw what happened last year, right? They installed one of the senior CB members' brother in the job before the interviews had even taken place. And James Horan was only appointed the time before that to fend off the calls from Liam Horan and his troupe for a full public inspection of how the county board operates financially, up to then they had been trying to decide whether to install Tommy Lyons or Mick O'Dwyer in the job - only a public revolt stopped them from going through with that plan.

I certainly don't think the CB are on the take or anything like that, but they have made a litany of mistakes over the last ten years and are as culpable as anyone for our failure to win an AI. It's nothing personal against the people involved, but from Feeney to McNicholas to Neary and also Connelly, unfortunately they just haven't been good enough at what they're supposed to do - and that's largely the reason why they have found themselves landed in this mess in the last few weeks.

I lost a lot of respect for the county board over their handling of the resignation of Holmes and Connelly (as well as their appointment). Pretending that they didn't know there was unrest within the team and trying to elicit sympathy in an attempt to turn public opinion against the players left a bad taste in my mouth. And I don't think it's much of a secret at this point that the leaks about the revolt came from the county board side, not the players. If this group of players ever win an all-Ireland, it'll be in spite of the efforts of the county board, not because of them.

Hearing strong rumours that it's as good as a done deal that James Horan will return to the helm,official announcement in a few weeks.

I take it all back,don't know what to believe but another mate has been advised that Rochford has the job in the bag.100% reliable source.

I take it all back,don't know what to believe but another mate has been advised that Rochford has the job in the bag.100% reliable source.

When do Corofin play next ?

They appear to be out tomorrow against Mohill in Tuam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

Here's hoping its Rochford and they give him a few years. There should be no pressure on him. The talent is there and much of the backroom is there. I've every faith the guy can do a good job.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

I never had much respect for the CB, because I used to hear the stories from hand me down sources, but the way they handled Mickey Moran and shoved in John O mahony only for him to become a TD, smacks of utter cronyism and sh1tehawking from top to bottom.
    power corrupts so it was and so it will ever be.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

I've been told by someone in the loop that Rochford has Mayo job, that he's preparing his back room team. Corofin play today so will tell a lot. Horan is the backup plan, is willing to step back in.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement