Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Here's hoping the Mitchels manage to get the chance to put Corofin to the sword and do same.We'll all be happy

• Registered Users Posts: 15,095 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Putting pressure on everyone already? Do Mayo supporters never learn?

Looks like some people are already creating sticks to beat people with if Mayo don't win Sam. Let's try to move away from the blame game in Mayo football and leave it in the past where it belongs.

If you put pressure on Rochford to choose Corofin or Mayo there's a chance he will choose Corofin. And if he chose Mayo he might have regrets etc.

The guy has earned a good run with Corofin and I for one could care less if he has to share the job for a few months.

And again if we don't win Sam in 2016 its not the end of the world.

If you want to look at who is putting the pressure on don't look at me, look at the players.

Under H&C they got the a SF replay v the best team in the country
    Look back at posts here from the days after the replay and you will find plenty about enhancing the sweeper system, improving AOS at 14 and the supply he gets, and taking advantage of the fact the Mayo more than likely don't meet Kerry or Dublin till the final.

But then the players decided that the management team was not professional enough for their ambitions

So the players have now put it on themselves to prove that it was H&C that was holding them back.
    By all accounts the new management is a formidable setup, no the players have no excuses left.

It's getting close to the last chance saloon for some of these guys, hitting 30+ and good deep into the championship since 2011, that is taking a toll.

2016 is a vital year, it cannot be sacrificed as some sort of transition, and a manager than may have two jobs on his mind until March 18th is not the ideal start to what is a vital campaign.

By there actions these players have told us that not winning Sam in 2016 is the end of the world, I'd like to believe them.

All Stars awards Friday night RTE1 at 7.Winners will be made known on the night as the hurlers have been announced.

POTY award I can only imagine will be keenly anticipated!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Give it to Philly.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Ascii

seligehgit wrote: »
    All Stars awards Friday night RTE1 at 7.Winners will be made known on the night as the hurlers have been announced.

POTY award I can only imagine will be keenly anticipated!

I think Brogan will get it.

• Advertisement

I think Jack McCaffrey will get it,must remind myself to stop take this forum off track.:pac:

Hopefully Diarmuid O Connor will pick up young POTY.

I think Jack McCaffrey will get it,must remind myself to stop take this forum off track.:pac:

Hopefully Diarmuid O Connor will pick up young POTY.

Will be a travesty if he doesn't. He really shone as the season went on. Then again Cillian was robbed two years when Jack Caff got the award so anything is possible.

Caff scored one goal in the quarter against cork, got no score there after for the season and was subbed at half time in the final. Never got a look in for the sunday game TOTY or the All star team. Cillian on the other hand was top scorer for the year in the championship, despite being injured for so long but they felt that no one had ever got three years in a row of YPOTY and they were not going to start.

*** Rant over ***

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Green Peter

Player of the year for taking frees inside 30metres

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

At least we know why you have green in your name. Should really be Richard though and not Peter. Cillian will have a shoe shop beside Vaughan soon selling all those golden boots.

You have to acknowledge the team that tackle with ferocity and strength in the attacking half of the pitch and force the opposition to give away needless frees. Cillian will kick them all day as would B Brogan or JOD etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭PressRun

Sure you could do that yourself no bother, couldn't you? :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

This crop of players will never win, their actions show they have no backbone! You won't win all Ireland's being spineless!

Last 2 posts by this poster really do show us what they want to do. Just ignore, they will get bored.

Anyone read Henrys piece in the Connaught T? Apart from the spelling mistakes he doesn't hold back, seems to have a dislike for Horan and now the players.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭PressRun

yop wrote: »
    Anyone read Henrys piece in the Connaught T? Apart from the spelling mistakes he doesn't hold back, seems to have a dislike for Horan and now the players.

Terrible article. Just spouting purely speculative nonsense without anything to back it up with regards to Horan's involvement and how the players feel about him removing himself from the race. He seems absolutely desperate for the players to be publicly made eat humble pie, even to the point where it almost seemed like he wants Rochford to have a hard time just so he can say I told you so. Awful attitude from someone who would rather stir **** more than anything.

So putting my head on the block NOT....Lee Keegan and Aidan O Shea to pick up a couple of All Stars,Diarmuid O Connor will just miss out but win young POTY.

Good news Castlebar Mitchels Clann na nGael game is live on TG4.

Congrats to Lee Keegan,Aidan O Shea on their All Stars.Diarmuid O Connor is a worthy young POTY.They're a credit to their county as are all the lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Claremorris won the minor title today, 2-12 to 0-4 against Ballina. Claremorris did not even have a sub on this years Mayo minor team. Simply not possible to do that. There is no such thing as a club winning the A championship in a crushing scoreline in a county with Mayos club football strength with a team of lads all just below county bench standard. Didnt have the 9th best defender or 9th best forward?
    That Claremorris team has not lost a championship game since u13 up, meaning never.

Claremorris 2-5 Clann na nGael 2-7 in the Connacht minor semi final tonight. Clann are the Roscommon runners up because the champions Pearses couldn't take part due to a clash with a school graduation.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Congrats to the lads on the All stars and DOC.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,715 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Congratulations to the three winners.

I'm especially pleased for Leroy who really got his act together after an ordinary enough league campaign by his own standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,924 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Congrats to Lee Keegan,Aidan O Shea on their All Stars.Diarmuid O Connor is a worthy young POTY.They're a credit to their county as are all the lads.

Lee Keegan and Diarmuid O Connor both very worthy winners, but imo Aidan O Shea can count himself very fortunate to recieve the full forward All Star award.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,127 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

charlie14 wrote: »
    Lee Keegan and Diarmuid O Connor both very worthy winners, but imo Aidan O Shea can count himself very fortunate to recieve the full forward All Star award.

Come off it. He dominated up until the All-Ireland semi final. Who would you have had instead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Come off it. He dominated up until the All-Ireland semi final. Who would you have had instead?

In fairness, Paddy Andrews had 2 good semi-final games and a good final, he can count himself a little unlucky IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

In fairness, Paddy Andrews had 2 good semi-final games and a good final, he can count himself a little unlucky IMO

I thought Andrews should have been in contention for POTY never mind All Star.

Up until the semis, he scored against Sligo,in championship football at present, a cannon fodder side, and 1-01 against Donegal. a side on the day far from their pomp of 2012 or 2014.
    In the semis he was abysmal,being outscored by his marker Mc Mahon by 1 -02.

I`m no masive fan of the Dubs, but when you compare his championship campaign to Andrews, imo, no question who should have been awarded the full forward All Star.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

charlie14 wrote: »

All-Stars an absolute joke at this stage. How Andrews was overlooked for 14 is a disgrace. AOS was lucky to even be nominated, let alone actually picked.
    Probably ranks as the 'softest' allstar ever awarded. We always hear of players from lesser counties who perform brilliantly in provincial championship and 'backdoor' games are overlooked because its not at the 'business end' of the championship, yet here we have a guy from a top-tier county who was virtually anonymous when it really mattered receiving an award.
    The argument made is that he scored 3-4 (marked by a rookie junior player from Sligo) and a 'game-changing' goal V Donegal side that were a spent force.
    Does anyone know the make-up of the panel that picks this all-star team.?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

In fairness O'Shea is a star, a marketing sensation so to speak. All he has to do is show up in one or two big games and he will be in contention. He is a great footballer too though to be fair and probably is worthy of his place in a best 15. I doubt even the Mayo club final would have been broadcast on tg4 had it not been for the O'Shea factor tbh.

Canadel wrote: »
    In fairness O'Shea is a star, a marketing sensation so to speak. All he has to do is show up in one or two big games and he will be in contention. He is a great footballer too though to be fair and probably is worthy of his place in a best 15. I doubt even the Mayo club final would have been broadcast on tg4 had it not been for the O'Shea factor tbh.

I can see your point, and while I have no problem in agreeing with you that O`Shea is a great footballer, I would have a problem with, on his performance this year, that he is worthy of the All Star award for full forward.
    Especially, imo anway, that he didn`t show up in the two really big games.
    Maybe a bit naive on my part, but I would have the expectation that an All Star award would be given for a players performances,rather than for their marketability.
    If marketability is becoming the criteria for All Star awards, are we not heading down the road, to borrow the phrase, of hype over substance perhaps.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

IMO AOS lit the championship up this year. Against Donegal had his fellow forwards been sharper he'd have set up three goals. He scored a great goal with two men on him. Dublin and Kerry forwards were given praise for doing well against Kildare, why can't AOS get something similar
    Teams really only get tests against Kerry, Mayo , Donegal and Dublin with Tyrone there now. But AOS gave Dublin serious problems in the first game as we had to have two men on him. No Dublin or Kerry forward was double marked as much this year, possibly Star vs Tyrone but you know what I mean

Every forward that won an All Star this year had poor games, Brogan , Kilkenny and Walsh for example, exclude McManus but he didn't get far either.

Mayo deserved two All Stars that's how it goes. The unfortunate thing from AOSs was that as well as transforming late in the season to possibly the most dangerous no 14, but ended up carrying the scoring threat from play, the missing link. That's a lot of pressure.

I agree that Andrews was unlucky but imo there are others less worthy than AOS

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Well done Mitchels. Hopefully do a job on Corofin now and lighten Rochford s workload a bit!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

Paddy Andrews definitely unlucky and AOS on balance probably lucky.

I think All Stars should for the most part be judged from the AI quarter finals onwards and AOS was patchy, while Andrews was very good.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement