Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

PARlance wrote: »
    Nice win for Breaffy, 4-7 to 1-12.

And Mitchels had a facile win over Knockmore.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,139 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

So Castlebar v Breaffy. A repeat on 2013.

I see Rochford is busy for another few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Real tour de force by Aidan O Shea today,he absolutely destroyed the Ballintubber full back line,2 goals and brought down for the penalty.Ballintubber were shell shocked after the first 2 goals and were largely dragged back into the game by Cillian O Connor.

After narrowing the gap to a couple of points after half time,Breaffy's third goal killed off the Ballintubber challenge.

The 3 O Shea brothers shone and hopefully Conor will make a push for the Mayo panel,bundles of talent.Shame Aidan's MOTM performance was spoiled by a rather unnecessary sending off.The goal conceded from Cillian's free kick was sloppy in the extreme.Robert Hennelly had a solid game other than a couple of missed placed balls.

Not a great day out for the men of Ballintubber,goals win games without stating the obvious but Cillian had his share of nice scores from play and normal compliment of scores from placed balls with a few wides thrown in.The game passed Diarmuid O Connor by today,ditto Jason Gibbons.Ballintubber were largely chasing a lost cause after the concession of the initial brace of goals.

TBH the Mitchels were never in trouble against Knockmore and looked capable of upping the pace at any stage.All the county lads had decent games,Barry Moran won all the important balls in the middle of the park when required.He is very under rated when it comes to his excellent footpassing distribution.

Both games were very enjoyable played in resplendent sunshine.Lots of good footpassing and score taking.

It's all set up for a great county final,presumably the two yellow cards will not rule Aidan out of same.A repeat of the previous county final with the Reilly brothers on opposite sides.Slight fancy for the Mitchels at this stage if they can hold Aidan O Shea quiet.

Congrats to Ballyhaunis on winning the county hurling title,our footballing maestro and master of all codes Keith Higgins won MOTM.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

CRC451QXAAAbILX.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

seligehgit wrote: »
    CRC451QXAAAbILX.jpg

After todays performance I hope he doesnt move down to Cat country soon:pac: 3 unreal points today. Seriously talented sportsman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭crossvilla

I see the County Board are due to meet next week with the u21 Manager and Senior Manager on the agenda. Looks like John Maughan will be back in for the u21's. Horan was playing golf with Donie Buckley last week in Portugal and I'd have him as favourite for the Senior job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

crossvilla wrote: »
    I see the County Board are due to meet next week with the u21 Manager and Senior Manager on the agenda. Looks like John Maughan will be back in for the u21's. Horan was playing golf with Donie Buckley last week in Portugal and I'd have him as favourite for the Senior job.

Horan or Buckley favourite? As long as its not Horan we should be fine. What we don't need is a return to the tactically clueless Horan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭PressRun

Don't know what new ideas Horan is going to bring given he's only been gone a year. I think a new pair of eyes is needed.

He was good enough to get mayo so far but not any further. Badly shown up against Dublin in 2013 when he made a number of poor decisions. Badly shown up again against Kerry last year when he failed to deal with Donaghy not once but twice. Unfortunately he never learned from his mistakes and I doubt he has in the meantime.

To win an AI you need some tactical ability otherwise you will get outwitted time and again by other managers when it really matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Always_Running

This newspaper were first to report the story on H&C unrest and now more or less saying James Horan will return.

http://www.con-telegraph.ie/sport/roundup/articles/2015/10/15/4107592-mayo-gaa-managerial-appointment-put-on-hold/

Not sure about the piece claiming H&C sorted out the defence the two semi finals v Dublin would suggest different.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭StewartGriffin

This newspaper were first to report the story on H&C unrest and now more or less saying James Horan will return.

http://www.con-telegraph.ie/sport/roundup/articles/2015/10/15/4107592-mayo-gaa-managerial-appointment-put-on-hold/

Not sure about the piece claiming H&C sorted out the defence the two semi finals v Dublin would suggest different.

Some people don't like Henry, but you can't deny that is a good article. Players want to win next year and they want to win with Horan as their manager. Good luck to them, I hope they do it.

And it's great to see a local paper that isn't afraid to step on toes and ruffle feathers to stand up and state the truth. Very rare at local level. Rare enough at national level too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭seanhynes

Tough start for James Horans return

• Registered Users Posts: 21,383 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Pressure is all on the players now to win it next year. They were the ones to get rid of the management, and the responsibility lies completely with them now if they get Horan back. Hope it works out for them, but I fear there will be resentment towards the players if they don't at least make the final next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭crossvilla

Lucky to have the Galway game in Castlebar.

They want Horan? Why? To be embarrassed in another big game again? Is this a wind up?

If we have to wait until march for Rochford its worth it. We can use this year as a learning experience and Buckley can prepare the tram up to and including the league.

I'd take anyone but Horan at this stage. If he comes back he'll want 3 years to do the job, 3 more lost years for mayo football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

I'd be in two minds with Horan. Like everyone else, I have fond memories and had great days out watching his team.

The thing is though, he had his chance and everyone knows that there were mistakes made on the line during key moments in big games. However, he would have the players behind him.

I wouldn't be disappointed to see him back - put it that way - but with Rochford there would be a clean slate there and it would be interesting to see what he could do with the squad of players available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

TBH if Horan wasn't interested he would have come out by now and said as much. I am not a bit surprise if he is in for it. However, I would take Rochford as people have said its a clean slate.

ColeTrain wrote: »
    I'd be in two minds with Horan. Like everyone else, I have fond memories and had great days out watching his team.

The thing is though, he had his chance and everyone knows that there were mistakes made on the line during key moments in big games. However, he would have the players behind him.

I wouldn't be disappointed to see him back - put it that way - but with Rochford there would be a clean slate there and it would be interesting to see what he could do with the squad of players available.

Is it a case that Rochford was no longer an option once Corofin won the Galway Championship I wonder.

That will keep him busy for at least another month which was not ideal.

Then again Horan was still manager of Ballintubber when he was first appointed Mayo manager, but that was light years ago when you see where Mayo have come on since.

I don't mind Horan getting the job, he has done great service as manager in the past and has not been fat off the big win.

I just wonder if he is just talking it to get the house back in order after what happened in the last few weeks or whether the year off has made him more eager to try again.

He stepped down in the minutes after the epic encounter in Limerick, he may be looking back and thinking that was too soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Is it a case that Rochford was no longer an option once Corofin won the Galway Championship I wonder.

That will keep him busy for at least another month which was not ideal.

Then again Horan was still manager of Ballintubber when he was first appointed Mayo manager, but that was light years ago when you see where Mayo have come on since.

I don't mind Horan getting the job, he has done great service as manager in the past and has not been fat off the big win.

I just wonder if he is just talking it to get the house back in order after what happened in the last few weeks or whether the year off has made him more eager to try again.

He stepped down in the minutes after the epic encounter in Limerick, he may be looking back and thinking that was too soon.

I always got the impression that Horan would have been sick if Holmes and Conelly managed to win the All-Ireland. After all the spade work he done in the previous years, he would have been the nearly man while they would go down in Mayo GAA history. TBH, who would blame him?

ColeTrain wrote: »
    I always got the impression that Horan would have been sick if Holmes and Conelly managed to win the All-Ireland. After all the spade work he done in the previous years, he would have been the nearly man while they would go down in Mayo GAA history. TBH, who would blame him?

Horan came in for a bit of unnecessary scrutinity after the Mayo v Donegal game.
    Why did he not play AIS FF, why did he not use Barry Moran asca sweeper, why did he not utilise Tom Parsons more. ?

I'm sure he'd like another go at it.

• Advertisement

Some of the players are getting past it to be honest. There's one or two more years left in the spine of this team before some key players are the wrong side of 30 (a few already are). A few also need to be given their P45s and told never to darken a Mayo team again.

The fear is Horan would be too loyal one or two of these players. You can't really have the players picking the new manager based on the fact they are friendly with him. Otherwise the risk is he won't make tough selection decisions.

Horan had four years. He proved he can bring Mayo to an AI final. With luck Holmes and Connelly could have done the same.

But the difference between reaching a final and winning one is significant. You need more than luck to win one, you need good tactics and an ability to vary the game plan in the lead up and during the match. Horan never displayed this ability.

seanhynes wrote: »
    Tough start for James Horans return

Not really
    Away to London and home to Galway then home v Roscommon likely.

Not that tough, they can take both Galway and Roscommon in Castlebar.
    If they can't then they may as well forget about 2016 full stop.

By the way London and home to Galway were Horans first games back in 2011.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Members of the Mayo football team will be open Second Captains Live tomorrow night at 10pm on RTE2.

Could be interesting!

Members of the Mayo football team will be open Second Captains Live tomorrow night at 10pm on RTE2.

Could be interesting!

Apt name for the show considering we're used to finishing second. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

martyos121 wrote: »
    Apt name for the show considering we're used to finishing second. :(

The manager question has to be asked, should be good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Not really
    Away to London and home to Galway then home v Roscommon likely.

Not that tough, they can take both Galway and Roscommon in Castlebar.
    If they can't then they may as well forget about 2016 full stop.

By the way London and home to Galway were Horans first games back in 2011.

Its still the toughest draw Mayo could have got. Its probably better to playing Galway,Roscommon before the August bank holiday quarter final than mis-matches against Sligo,Leitrim,London.

Shurimgreat how many anti Horan posts is that from you now? I doubt Mayo would be where they are now (top 3 side) if it wasn't for the fine work by James Horan.

Could be interesting!

No sign of them after all, even after they mentioned on the show they'd be on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭HamsterFace

martyos121 wrote: »
    No sign of them after all, even after they mentioned on the show they'd be on.

Yeah that was weird, could see O'Connor in the green room, presume they felt a piece was going to well to stop?

Yeah that was weird, could see O'Connor in the green room, presume they felt a piece was going to well to stop?

I felt none of it was going well. Was only watching to see the Mayo players and what they'd be asked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

No one seems to like Aiden Henry around here, but his article is going to be pretty close to reality in the finish up I'd say. Horan will be back for another lash Like it or not. Rochford hasn't a notion of leaving his club with a connaught title probably in the bag and walking into that hornets nest.
    Not my first choice of outcome but I will be there cheering the team on as usual and hope to god they can get over the line. Hard to blame Horan for wanting to have a another go at it. I wish him all the best.

*Above opinion may be completely misguided

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement