Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭HamsterFace

Maybe, but cant imagine Horan taking the job again given the fact that he only left last year to concentrate on kids and career. He's a young man and won't get those years back

• Registered Users Posts: 15,139 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Maybe, but cant imagine Horan taking the job again given the fact that he only left last year to concentrate on kids and career. He's a young man and won't get those years back

I'd say he would give it a shot for a year rather than agree to anything long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

I'd say he would give it a shot for a year rather than agree to anything long term.

Can't imagine the county board would agree to anything as short term in nature as that unless they had a replacement in mind or agreed upon..... Rochford?

Its still the toughest draw Mayo could have got. Its probably better to playing Galway,Roscommon before the August bank holiday quarter final than mis-matches against Sligo,Leitrim,London.

Shurimgreat how many anti Horan posts is that from you now? I doubt Mayo would be where they are now (top 3 side) if it wasn't for the fine work by James Horan.

Without a doubt James Horan did an exceptionally good job as Mayo manager but it is a fair question to ask whither he is the man to turn us into the top dog,top 3 is no longer good enough.

martyos121 wrote: »
    I felt none of it was going well. Was only watching to see the Mayo players and what they'd be asked.

Very disappointing that there was no sign of them,it was the only reason I watched and recorded it.Maybe they'll be brought back on in the not too distant future?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

seligehgit wrote: »
    Very disappointing that there was no sign of them,it was the only reason I watched and recorded it.Maybe they'll be brought back on in the not too distant future?
    Mighty format of a show in fairness. Their podcasts have some really well thought out tangents of humour and insight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

Without a doubt James Horan did an exceptionally good job as Mayo manager but it is a fair question to ask whither he is the man to turn us into the top dog,top 3 is no longer good enough.

In the same category as john maughan. Able to get mayo to AI finals where they have a tendency to leave it behind them. If Horan couldn't beat dublin in 2013 when they had a couple of badly injured players he's not going to do it any other year. He needs to go away and improve the tactical side of things. 1 year out is too short.

Hearing strong rumours that it's as good as a done deal that James Horan will return to the helm,official announcement in a few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Michael Solan in as the new U21 manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭eastmayo

Michael Solan in as the new U21 manager.

What experience has m solan?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,383 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Hearing strong rumours that it's as good as a done deal that James Horan will return to the helm,official announcement in a few weeks.

No surprises then. To be honest, I'm warming to the idea as the days go by. I still stand by my opinion that a year off has done him no good and he's learned nothing bar some common sense hopefully, but in a year where we are likely to play the Ulster champions in the semis, he's been there and done that, and he's a man who's brought us to 2 finals and 4 semis, and when we don't play Kerry in the semis, our record is fairly decent. Good luck to him, but the players will be in for a very hard time from some fans if they don't prove this decision right.

Excited by the appointment of Michael Solan,it is nice to see some young blood going into management.He really should have an under 21 panel next year with a lot of potential.Best of luck to him.

Here's a link to an article on some of my erstwhile colleagues on this forum favourite publication re his appointment!:pac:

http://www.con-telegraph.ie/sport/roundup/articles/2015/10/19/4107765-michael-solan-appointed-mayo-under-21-manager/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Nominations for the Senior post close on 1st Nov. with appointment by end of the month. According To Angelina Nugent on Twitter. Seems foregone conclusion at this stage though.

I have a feeling John Maughan is coming back. I hope not, really think he's a poor judge of players. But the county board can rely on him to spend x amount of money and might be able to get some interest going.
    "Maughan will get them fit" and all that talk.
    Bit of a "Don't ever pull that stroke again" to the players.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭crossvilla

The Mayo Gaa Twitter is saying Joe Keane (Crossmolina Senior Manager) in as selector/coach for U21 and Barry Solan in for Strength and Conditioning. It would be good to see Barry work with the Senior team next year too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

I have a feeling John Maughan is coming back. I hope not, really think he's a poor judge of players. But the county board can rely on him to spend x amount of money and might be able to get some interest going.
    Now that would be a giant step backwards

• Registered Users Posts: 15,139 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

And in other news that young Smyth girl is flying at the swimming, I'm getting sick of hearing 'The Macarena" in Panama Jacks and I want one of them mobile phones for Christmas.

All due respect to Maughan, but his day has long past.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

crossvilla wrote: »
    The Mayo Gaa Twitter is saying Joe Keane (Crossmolina Senior Manager) in as selector/coach for U21 and Barry Solan in for Strength and Conditioning. It would be good to see Barry work with the Senior team next year too.

No way Barry could do the senior job and the Arsenal one. He did his brother a solid by allowing himself to be attached to his ticket but the logistics involved will be mad.

I will get behind any Mayo manager once the appointment is made. But I think we know what Horan brings to the table. He can bring a team close to All Ireland victory, but in 4 years of management he did not prove he had what it took to take them the whole way and came up tactically short on a number of occasions. In fact his tactical naivety was glaring on more than one occasion. If he couldn't improve it over 4 years, what difference will 1 year make? NONE!

We may play an Ulster team in the AI semis if we get that far. But we will more than likely be facing Dublin in the AI final and that will not go well for us. I hope I am not back here next year saying "I told you so". I have a feeling I will be though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

No chance. It would be like Liverpool bringing back Kenny Daglish...again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭StewartGriffin

I will get behind any Mayo manager once the appointment is made. But I think we know what Horan brings to the table. He can bring a team close to All Ireland victory, but in 4 years of management he did not prove he had what it took to take them the whole way and came up tactically short on a number of occasions. In fact his tactical naivety was glaring on more than one occasion. If he couldn't improve it over 4 years, what difference will 1 year make? NONE!

We may play an Ulster team in the AI semis if we get that far. But we will more than likely be facing Dublin in the AI final and that will not go well for us. I hope I am not back here next year saying "I told you so". I have a feeling I will be though.

I'm no Sherlock Holmes, but from reading your last fifteen posts I'm going to go out on a limb here and jump to the conclusion that you don't think Horan would be a good choice right now. Am I right???

And in other news that young Smyth girl is flying at the swimming, I'm getting sick of hearing 'The Macarena" in Panama Jacks and I want one of them mobile phones for Christmas.

All due respect to Maughan, but his day has long past.
    Julians will be on and they play all the classics like "Whiskey in the Jar".

I'm no Sherlock Holmes, but from reading your last fifteen posts I'm going to go out on a limb here and jump to the conclusion that you don't think Horan would be a good choice right now. Am I right???

Fair play, you spotted that one alright. I don't rate him as a good choice right now or possibly ever to lead Mayo to an AI win.

Time to give someone else a chance, preferably Rochford. If we need to write off 2016 as a learning year for him when he takes over in the spring so be it. Better than bringing back a flawed manager to "have one more go". 2014 was supposed to be Horan's "one more go" and it proved he still didn't have tactical awareness.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,383 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Fair play, you spotted that one alright. I don't rate him as a good choice right now or possibly ever to lead Mayo to an AI win.

Time to give someone else a chance, preferably Rochford. If we need to write off 2016 as a learning year for him when he takes over in the spring so be it. Better than bringing back a flawed manager to "have one more go". 2014 was supposed to be Horan's "one more go" and it proved he still didn't have tactical awareness.

2016 cannot be written off for any manager, given the favourable draw. Next year is the one we need to have a go, writing it off would be idiotic, which is probably why Rochford won't get the job.

martyos121 wrote: »
    2016 cannot be written off for any manager, given the favourable draw. Next year is the one we need to have a go, writing it off would be idiotic, which is probably why Rochford won't get the job.

There's no favourable draw. It's Dublin with a good degree of certainty if we reach the AI final. I really don't think Horan would do well against them, he didn't in 2013. Look I'm willing to give the guy a chance but it really is a case of history repeating itself here. We've been down this road before, and it reached a dead end before. And if he comes back for 1 year, who's to say he won't want to stay 2 more, with the same results.

All I am seeing is people saying how great it would be to have Horan back, etc. Would it really be that great is my point. I think its a fair question to ask as an alternative to some of the fawning over him. He's a good manager but not in my book a great manager. If you are happy to just reach AI finals, Horan's your man.

ColeTrain wrote: »
    No chance. It would be like Liverpool bringing back Kenny Daglish...again.

King Kenny did alright the last time he came back to be fair. Won one trophy, got to the final of another, offloaded a declining Torres for 50 million and signed Suarez, the player who made Rogers look like a good manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭naughto

An awful lot of chitter chatter here about the management situation.

Very decent looking county final on Sunday.

The next door neighbours Castlebar Mitchels and Breaffy are locking horns.A multitude of inter county players and potential county players togging out.... Patrick Durkan and Barry Moran for the Mitchels,the three O Shea brothers and Robert Hennelly for the Breaffy men.I'd love to see Danny Kirby deliver on all his much spoken of potential.
    The Reilly family will have an interesting day out and Declan O Reilly has swapped management role's since their only previous county final clash in 2013.It was certainly a day when Breaffy underperformed.

Based on the respective quarter final and semi final performances the Mitchels would have to be warm favourites but the big question is can the Mitchels full back line cope at times with the marauding Aidan O Shea?Young Conor O Shea will surely be called up to the county panel next year and deliver on his undoubted potential.How influential will Richie Feeney be on proceedings?Head says the Mitchels will win although history beckons for the Breaffy lads and nobody would begrudge them a first county title.

naughto wrote: »

Anybody else find it rather odd that the county chairman has asked Pat Rowland of Elverys main sponsor to provide a facilitator to tease out the issues and provide a charter that is acceptable to the players and the county board,so if there's issues there will be a road map to solving the issues internally.

How independent of the county board or neutral is such an appointee likely to be and what level of expertise will same individual have in conflict resolution??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭naughto

Anybody else find it rather odd that the county chairman has asked Pat Rowland of Elverys main sponsor to provide a facilitator to tease out the issues and provide a charter that is acceptable to the players and the county board,so if there's issues there will be a road map to solving the issues internally.

How independent of the county board or neutral is such an appointee likely to be and what level of expertise will same individual have in conflict resolution??

It reads like a child wrote it with him saying grown men where crying at the news.
    But sure he's a buddy of his he wants to keep it all in house infear of anything nasty surprises.
    He should be ran to be honest

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement