Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Ascii

Nominations are to close on Fri or Sat IIRC...leaving aside Rochford who else is a possibility? We can be almost certain at this stage that Maughan and Horan wont be nominated. If we assume that at last minute Rochford wont take it...who do we turn to. There seems to be a distinct lack of quality managers out there at the moment nationwide...particulary when you hear Cian o Neill saying how he could have gone to 14 different teams...even though that figure is probably slightly exaggerated. I can see no other nomination being in the hat. From Rochfords prospective wouldn't it be nice to know that you were picked for the job out of five or six people because you were the best and most suitable candidate and not because you were the only candidate which seems like a distinct possibility at this stage.

Thoughts people ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Ascii wrote: »
    Nominations are to close on Fri or Sat IIRC...leaving aside Rochford who else is a possibility? We can be almost certain at this stage that Maughan and Horan wont be nominated. If we assume that at last minute Rochford wont take it...who do we turn to. There seems to be a distinct lack of quality managers out there at the moment nationwide...particulary when you hear Cian o Neill saying how he could have gone to 14 different teams...even though that figure is probably slightly exaggerated. I can see no other nomination being in the hat. From Rochfords prospective wouldn't it be nice to know that you were picked for the job out of five or six people because you were the best and most suitable candidate and not because you were the only candidate which seems like a distinct possibility at this stage.

Thoughts people ?

Well that doesn't make sense, he's the only candidate because we are looking for a high standard and he's the only one meeting that standard, he's still beaten off everyone else. If it was Longford/Leitrim looking for a manager then there would be plenty of candidates! He's the only one because he's the only one that is meeting the required standard at the moment!

Well that doesn't make sense, he's the only candidate because we are looking for a high standard and he's the only one meeting that standard, he's still beaten off everyone else. If it was Longford/Leitrim looking for a manager then there would be plenty of candidates! He's the only one because he's the only one that is meeting the required standard at the moment!

The standard can only be set by the calibre of people that apply. Without splitting hairs I will say it this way, if Jim Mc and Jack O Con applied along with Rochford, is Stephen suddenly not good enough because the standard/calibre has been set by all Ireland winning inter county players and managers ??
    He's the only one because he's the only one that is meeting the required standard at the moment!

What do you think is the required standard?

On a side note I was in a filling station this morning and seen copies of John O Mahonys autobiography on the counter for sale...like FFS it seems any clown can get a book wrote about themselves at this stage :(:(
    None the less it will probably be a last minute stocking filler for some desperado come this xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Has any clubs held meetings to nominate someone to put forward for the managers job?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

Is this turning into another farce? Has anyone nominated Rochford yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Seems to be as good as a done deal with Rochford,can't be left unsaid what an absolute legend of the Green and Red James Horan is irrespective of whither he ever returns to bring us to All Ireland glory.He'd bleed for the county.

http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=22997%3Arochford-now-in-pole-position-for-mayo-job&catid=14&Itemid=100008

• Registered Users Posts: 4,127 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

seligehgit wrote: »
    Seems to be as good as a done deal with Rochford,can't be left unsaid what an absolute legend of the Green and Red James Horan is irrespective of whither he ever returns to bring us to All Ireland glory.He'd bleed for the county.

http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=22997%3Arochford-now-in-pole-position-for-mayo-job&catid=14&Itemid=100008

Think this quote here tells you all you need to know about the county board & Horans relationship. No doubt if he feels like this then the players think along the same lines

"Mayo GAA and the supporters — they’re a fantastic bunch, really. And there are great players that are looking to drive on.
    If we had the support structures in place to match that ambition, then great things are possible. Hopefully 2016 will see Mayo driving on.”

• Registered Users Posts: 7,892 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

On a side note I was in a filling station this morning and seen copies of John O Mahonys autobiography on the counter for sale...like FFS it seems any clown can get a book wrote about themselves at this stage :(:(
    None the less it will probably be a last minute stocking filler for some desperado come this xmas.

O'Mahony might be many things but he's far from a clown. Looking forward to reading it, im sure it#'s no classic ;iterature but always good to get an insiders view of things
    Is this turning into another farce? Has anyone nominated Rochford yet?

Why exactly is it a farce? The CB are going about things correctly. Or are you moaning for the sake of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

O'Mahony is a current politician so won't be upsetting anyone with that book. I'd be amazed if there is much of interest in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,892 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

mayo.mick wrote: »
    Has any clubs held meetings to nominate someone to put forward for the managers job?

It doesnt quite work like that though does it. I doubt we'll hear anything till closing date for nominations. Looks like a done deal for Rochford and team anyway

• Advertisement

Rochford has confirmed that he has allowed his name to go forward for nomination.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Rochford has confirmed that he has allowed his name to go forward for nomination.
    That's that so

• Registered Users Posts: 15,095 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Best thing that could happen now is for Castlebar to get to the Connacht final and beat Corofin there

Thus freeing up Rochford and keeping Mayo interest in the competition

Best thing that could happen now is for Castlebar to get to the Connacht final and beat Corofin there

Added pressure now for Mitchels :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Or for Rochford to further hone his managerial skills and win another All-Ireland? Might be no harm wining two All-Ireland's in a row, the player's will respect him even more and he will have won on the big stage in Croke Park again.

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Or for Rochford to further hone his managerial skills and win another All-Ireland? Might be no harm wining two All-Ireland's in a row, the player's will respect him even more and he will have won on the big stage in Croke Park again.

An extended run in the club championship would bring him into the thick of the league.
    I'd much prefer a manager focused on one team than two.

And as for more respect from the players they can go to fcuk of they are looking for more respect. They got what they wanted in ousting the old setup, by all accounts a very high caliber replacement team is being readied as a replacement, time to **** or get off the pot boys.

An extended run in the club championship would bring him into the thick of the league.
    I'd much prefer a manager focused on one team than two.

And as for more respect from the players they can go to fcuk of they are looking for more respect. They got what they wanted in ousting the old setup, by all accounts a very high caliber replacement team is being readied as a replacement, time to **** or get off the pot boys.

Do you really think the player's didn't have a say regarding the new management?

Don't forget the reason that a "very high caliber management team is being readied" is directly because of their 'ousting' of the previous set-up.

The question is, should they have had to do it? The players and supporter's deserve the best. Sometimes asses need to be kicked and with the County Board, it was a massive boot up the hole that was needed.

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Do you really think the player's didn't have a say regarding the new management?

Don't forget the reason that a "very high caliber management team is being readied" is directly because of their 'ousting' of the previous set-up.

The question is, should they have had to do it? The players and supporter's deserve the best. Sometimes asses need to be kicked and with the County Board, it was a massive boot up the hole that was needed.

Of course I think the players have had an input.
    But I don't think that winning about club title is required for the management to get more respect from them.

Of course I think the players have had an input.
    But I don't think that winning about club title is required for the management to get more respect from them.

I agree, it was just me trying to play devil's advocate if Corofin happened to win again.

Looking at if from another way the incentive will be with Corofin to stay in the club championship longer. The longer they can keep the manager tied up and away from Mayo may ultimately help delay his preparations with the new team and give a shortened timeframe with mayo leading to the start of the Connacht championship clash against Galway

• Advertisement

Looking at if from another way the incentive will be with Corofin to stay in the club championship longer. The longer they can keep the manager tied up and away from Mayo may ultimately help delay his preparations with the new team and give a shortened timeframe with mayo leading to the start of the Connacht championship clash against Galway

Yes
    There is zero upside from a Mayo POV to Corofins prolonged involvement in the club championship.

Corofin have a great team and should comfortably beat Castlebar. Its a bit of a catch 22 to be fair, you want Corofin to lose but you also know they have a good manager and team and will probably win. I don't think anyone would really have a problem with Rochford splitting his time between Mayo and Corofin for a couple of months.

Some people take this whole thing far far too seriously, like its life and death. Its sport at the end of the day. Compromises will need to be made.

And we don't need some supporters putting pressure on the new management team from day one or before they have even taken the job, because that is counter productive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭PressRun

I don't really see the big deal about Rochford splitting his time between Mayo and Corofin for a couple of months either. It's not like managing a team is a one-man job these days. Does anyone really think Jim Gavin or Eamon Fitzmaurice do everything single-handedly in Dublin or Kerry? Managers have a team around them to help get the routine and plans in motion, and I can't see how Rochford would be any different in that respect.

It's also fairly cynical to think that Corofin would like to keep Rochford tied up in the hopes that it would jeopardize Mayo's chances against Galway. I'm sure they'd like to have him as long as possible simply because they want to go the distance in the club championship. Rochford seems to be well-respected in Corofin. It would take a serious level of bitterness to try and keep him tied up in the hopes that things go pear-shaped for him in his next job.

Well it sounds like a done deal anyway going by the Mayo GAA press release tonight. Only one nomination, the nomination has been accepted and they're going to meet him to discuss a backroom team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Well it sounds like a done deal anyway going by the Mayo GAA press release tonight. Only one nomination, the nomination has been accepted and they're going to meet him to discuss a backroom team.

Linky?

Ok found it
    http://www.mayogaa.com/news/368080/update_re:mayo_senior_football_team_manager

Anthony Hennigan ‏@Ant2686 1h1 hour ago
    @MayoGAA board would not expect Stephen Rochford to leave Corofin "midstream" if he is appointed manager. Details in today's Western.

mayo.mick wrote: »
    Anthony Hennigan ‏@Ant2686 1h1 hour ago
    @MayoGAA board would not expect Stephen Rochford to leave Corofin "midstream" if he is appointed manager. Details in today's Western.

If that the case its nice to see a bit of flexibility from the county board... showing a more human side if nothing else. Its a real case of trying to keep all parties on a good footing from the off.

If that the case its nice to see a bit of flexibility from the county board... showing a more human side if nothing else. Its a real case of trying to keep all parties on a good footing from the off.

All well and good but if Corofin go deep in the club championship and Mayo have a bad league campaign there will be plenty of folk here giving out that the CB did not do enough to have exclusive access to Rochford over Corofin.

Best thing that could happen is that Corofin get knocked out of Connacht.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭PressRun

All well and good but if Corofin go deep in the club championship and Mayo have a bad league campaign there will be plenty of folk here giving out that the CB did not do enough to have exclusive access to Rochford over Corofin.

And what if both Corofin and Mayo do very well under Rochford simultaneously? To be honest, I think people are overstating the "risk" of Rochford staying with Corofin for as long as their championship lasts. I don't really mind one way or another if he's still with Corofin while Mayo are in the league. It's not as though he's going to be this mysterious figure that no one ever sees or hears from while he's with Corofin or that there's going to be terrible confusion when be does return.

• Advertisement

Putting pressure on everyone already? Do Mayo supporters never learn?

Looks like some people are already creating sticks to beat people with if Mayo don't win Sam. Let's try to move away from the blame game in Mayo football and leave it in the past where it belongs.

If you put pressure on Rochford to choose Corofin or Mayo there's a chance he will choose Corofin. And if he chose Mayo he might have regrets etc.

The guy has earned a good run with Corofin and I for one could care less if he has to share the job for a few months.

And again if we don't win Sam in 2016 its not the end of the world.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement