Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Pretty disappointing county final,the Mitchels totally outclassed poor Breaffy.Here's hoping they have a prolonged run in the club championship.Clann na nGael of Roscommon await them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,331 ✭✭✭naughto

seligehgit wrote: »
    Pretty disappointing county final,the Mitchels totally outclassed poor Breaffy.Here's hoping they have a prolonged run in the club championship.Clann na nGael of Roscommon await them.

I was at it it was a poor game breaffy hit the post twice put they lack any serious shooting power up front with oshea playing all over the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

Hope Neil Douglas can keep up this kinda form. Kirby good today. Two lads who have a bit of strength and talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Green Peter

Rumour Maughan has been approched

Well it would be suprising if he wasnt at least approached or in the running.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭PressRun

Is that a joke?

Yeah I thought Danny Kirby had a really decent game today,most especially the second half.I'm presuming that's a joke re the John Maughan approach?

He's been in it twice and Maughan had his name in for u21 and is always active managing at some level. I think fair chance he puts his name in. Serious talent available, possible title in the next three years. Will be a Deep squad, plenty young forwards coming through. If manager and they win it become the most famous Mayo man in history.

Well it would be suprising if he wasnt at least approached or in the running.

TBH I'd be shocked if he was in the running or had been approached.He's had 2 shots at the job,he'll get the lads fit for sure but there is a big question mark over his tactical astuteness.I'm not too sure if he'd be a popular appointment with the players after his remarks re their vote of no confidence in the previous management.Presumably the County Board wouldn't try to impose any manager on the players without some sort of communication,I couldn't possibly imagine they'd be that spiteful even taking in to consideration their dismay at the player revolt.

Logically what will sell tickets and jerseys?
    Rochford and a few young players.
    So I expect Rochford.
    Maughan surely close enough to Rochford just thought, so he would keep his name out if Rochford favourite.
    Rochford was helping with Crossmolina when Maughan was over them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

I'd say he approached himself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

Bullsh*t.

He'd be ousted by the players before he even took over the job.

Anyways, I think the players, for all their faults, are clever enough to know they need a manager with tactical astuteness. Before any ratification, a prospective manager should meet players representatives and let them see what he has to say. Its easy to fool the county board, its not so easy to fool players.

Claremorris won the minor title today, 2-12 to 0-4 against Ballina. Claremorris did not even have a sub on this years Mayo minor team. Simply not possible to do that. There is no such thing as a club winning the A championship in a crushing scoreline in a county with Mayos club football strength with a team of lads all just below county bench standard. Didnt have the 9th best defender or 9th best forward?
    That Claremorris team has not lost a championship game since u13 up, meaning never.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,377 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Claremorris won the minor title today, 2-12 to 0-4 against Ballina. Claremorris did not even have a sub on this years Mayo minor team. Simply not possible to do that. There is no such thing as a club winning the A championship in a crushing scoreline in a county with Mayos club football strength with a team of lads all just below county bench standard. Didnt have the 9th best defender or 9th best forward?
    That Claremorris team has not lost a championship game since u13 up, meaning never.

Politics or just plain ignorance I wonder? The talent is certainly there, it must be one or the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Claremorris won the minor title today, 2-12 to 0-4 against Ballina. Claremorris did not even have a sub on this years Mayo minor team. Simply not possible to do that. There is no such thing as a club winning the A championship in a crushing scoreline in a county with Mayos club football strength with a team of lads all just below county bench standard. Didnt have the 9th best defender or 9th best forward? That Claremorris team has not lost a championship game since u13 up, meaning never.

Claremorris won the minor title today, 2-12 to 0-4 against Ballina. Claremorris did not even have a sub on this years Mayo minor team. Simply not possible to do that. There is no such thing as a club winning the A championship in a crushing scoreline in a county with Mayos club football strength with a team of lads all just below county bench standard. Didnt have the 9th best defender or 9th best forward? That Claremorris team has not lost a championship game since u13 up, meaning never.

That's mad, and it wasn't a particularly good minor side either

That's mad, and it wasn't a particularly good minor side either
    Demolished by Galway in a record setting defeat. Something that just shouldn't ever happen given the available talent turned out year in year out in Mayo. Can be beaten or well beaten but it simply shouldn't be happening to be hammered.
    Claremorris stuck hammerings, absolute non-competitive games on other teams that had several players on the panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

According to The Irish Star today Horan has said he isn't or won't be in the running for the job.

According to The Irish Star today Horan has said he isn't or won't be in the running for the job.
    Then Rochford surely has it in the bag.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

The backroom team that Rochford is rumoured to have built up includes Donie Buckley and Tony McEntee as selectors. Gavin Duffy is the S&C coach with Solan becoming overall director of S&C for Mayo GAA. McEntee won an All Ireland with Armagh in 2002 and managed Crossmaglen to back to back Ulster titles as well as an All Ireland.
    I am one of the CB's biggest critics at times, however, if they pull this off I would be very excited. It would also be a master stroke by the CB as it would throw all the pressure back on the players by effectively saying "there you go, one of the best coaching tickets in the country, lets see what you can do".
    I would especially like to see a bit of the Ulster bite instilled in the team. McEntee is Dublin based so he would look after the players based there. I'm guessing this "package" would prove every bit as costly as anything proposed by McStay, although this time the CB simply could not be seen to discount another high caliber manager on cost grounds.
    I would also imagine James Horan would not impede this managements team appointment in anyway. Finally, to the trolls mentioning John Maughan, how would you expect him to manage the senior team when his "on air" rant about the players cost him the U21 job despite him being the CB's own nomination.
    Forgot to mention that Maurice Horan from Ballinrobe is also supposedly in the mix. I believe he is living in Killarney and is involved as a selector with Dr Crokes so the logistics of this would seem difficult.

It seems like Solan is now going to set the fitness program for both U21 and senior. Hopefully minor as well. Sets the overall plan and the individual local coaches tailor it to each player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 koochie

I am delighted to hear of recent revelations. Rochford is obviously very well respected in GAA circles to attract such big names as Rawhead has mentioned above, sounds like a dream team of back room personnel. In fairness if Solan and Buckley have committed to Rochford, Horan was left with little support. Personally I feel Horan had every intention of entering the contest but was forced out of the race by a better proposal. If Horan had 'decided very quickly that (he) wouldn't be letting (his) name go forward' why did it take him so long to inform the media. In any case it has worked out well if Rochford's team gets the nod, roll on 2016!!

Rawhead wrote: »
    The backroom team that Rochford is rumoured to have built up includes Donie Buckley and Tony McEntee as selectors. Gavin Duffy is the S&C coach with Solan becoming overall director of S&C for Mayo GAA. McEntee won an All Ireland with Armagh in 2002 and managed Crossmaglen to back to back Ulster titles as well as an All Ireland.

what is the S&C ?

Strength and Conditioning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

This does look as though Horan has stepped aside because he has not the nod that the job is Rochford's. You can't blame him for pulling out in that case rather than it becoming obvious that he wasn't chosen. I still think we will see him back in the job at some stage in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Any of ye read the Western report on the county board meeting last week? Blood boiling stuff from them :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭howiya

Rawhead wrote: »
    I am one of the CB's biggest critics at times, however, if they pull this off I would be very excited. It would also be a master stroke by the CB as it would throw all the pressure back on the players by effectively saying "there you go, one of the best coaching tickets in the country, lets see what you can do".
    I would especially like to see a bit of the Ulster bite instilled in the team. McEntee is Dublin based so he would look after the players based there. I'm guessing this "package" would prove every bit as costly as anything proposed by McStay, although this time the CB simply could not be seen to discount another high caliber manager on cost grounds.
    I would also imagine James Horan would not impede this managements team appointment in anyway. Finally, to the trolls mentioning John Maughan, how would you expect him to manage the senior team when his "on air" rant about the players cost him the U21 job despite him being the CB's own nomination.
    Forgot to mention that Maurice Horan from Ballinrobe is also supposedly in the mix. I believe he is living in Killarney and is involved as a selector with Dr Crokes so the logistics of this would seem difficult.

McEntee hasn't set the world alight at St Brigids in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭PressRun

John Maughan would have some cheek to try and go for the job after what he said in the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,331 ✭✭✭naughto

PressRun wrote: »
    John Maughan would have some cheek to try and go for the job after what he said in the media.

What did he say

• Registered Users Posts: 15,095 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

This does look as though Horan has stepped aside because he has not the nod that the job is Rochford's. You can't blame him for pulling out in that case rather than it becoming obvious that he wasn't chosen. I still think we will see him back in the job at some stage in the future.

I'm happy that he is not going back this early.

I too also expect to see him back and would welcome him back but I think it's something that is best happening further down the line.

He gave a huge 4 year commitment to Mayo football and put it where it is today so a break from it will do him no harm.

Excited about the future if that is what Rochford will be bringing to the table.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Agreed, it would be great for him to return, but not just yet. Imo he put some steel into Mayo, it would be great to see him managing a winning team.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement